The Daily for Wednesday Nov 18, 2020

richwmn

19 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

And I know you have a bigger problem with weather than we do!  It will be cold (and most likely wet in some form) but I plan to dress for it.  

Yes,  we are hoping for around zero or plus Celsius.  We are good to minus 14,  with warm dress,  but minus twenties or lower it can become dangerous. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Yes,  we are hoping for around zero or plus Celsius.  We are good to minus 14,  with warm dress,  but minus twenties or lower it can become dangerous. 

I know....we lived in Montana and it was 30 below (F) regularly.  I recently told a friend that this is the first time I've ever wished I lived in Florida or some other warm climate (but only for the holidays) I do love where I live. 🙂 

• Like 6

Good Afternoon.

It has been gray and rainy most days lately, which when combined with thoughts of not being with family and friends for holidays and celebrations becomes disheartening.  I try to keep in mind that these are only days on the calendar, and at some point in the future we will all be able to be together again.  I look forward to these days and plan on celebrating Christmas in August, and cruising in October.

In the meantime I will be roasting turkey for two at American Thanksgiving and again for Christmas.  Then I guess it will be ham dinner for two at New Year's.  Thankfully I can find smaller hams than turkeys.

Below is a flight of cider at our local cidery.  I am also looking forward to visiting here with friends and enjoying a flight and pot pie.

61278724_10218847375520648_726439507041189888_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&ccb=2&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=C0vlJ8NBh7sAX8l3qDR&_nc_ht=scontent.fyvr4-1.fna&oh=8649fda27e969dbbdaab96a0d524f7a6&oe=5FDBDA5D

Stay safe.

Val

• Like 11

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

I’ll give you a small silver lining.  Our cold is much damper than yours and you can feel it in the bones.

It can get to -35 - -40 here with the wind chill.  It’s often -20 (ugh).  Even the mountain dog has a jacket for those days and they are only allowed out long enough to do business.  10 minutes is the max even for the mini walks.  It’s too dangerous for them.

I remember when I went to Calgary to visit friends.  They thought it was really cold and I told them I was going for a walk.  For me, it was warm compared to here 😉 

We’re supposed to have a warmer winter this year - I sure hope so 🤞 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, kazu said:

I’ll give you a small silver lining.  Our cold is much damper than yours and you can feel it in the bones.

It can get to -35 - -40 here with the wind chill.  It’s often -20 (ugh).  Even the mountain dog has a jacket for those days and they are only allowed out long enough to do business.  10 minutes is the max even for the mini walks.  It’s too dangerous for them.

I remember when I went to Calgary to visit friends.  They thought it was really cold and I told them I was going for a walk.  For me, it was warm compared to here 😉 

The other day when I was having another go at our band weed, it hit me.

You are familiar with it, so it likely sustains itself in YOUR winters, so WHY do I think I might be successful in my struggle against it here?🤨🧐

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

The other day when I was having another go at our band weed, it hit me.

You are familiar with it, so it likely sustains itself in YOUR winters, so WHY do I think I might be successful in my struggle against it here?🤨🧐

Bind weed?  It’s a PITA.  All you can do is dig and dig and rip it up.  Need to get it by the roots but it has long under roots.  I curse the dam stuff.

Oh it definitely makes it through our winters.

Keep working at it and you will win sort of.  If you don’t you lose totally 😉 .

• Like 4

2 hours ago, kazu said:

I actually know what you mean,  my mom would visit her sister in Vancouver and always found it freezing.  One year we went to northern England for New Years to visit my friend,  and I thought I would die.  Minus 4 was excruciating!  I said give me 20 below at home!   It’s a dry cold🤪

But when it hits minus 40 Where Celsius and Fahrenheit are the same it’s too cold to go out for more than a few minutes.  I taught some cool kids who didn’t believe in toques,  until they got frostbite on their ears. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bennybear said:

I actually know what you mean,  my mom would visit her sister in Vancouver and always found it freezing.  One year we went to northern England for New Years to visit my friend,  and I thought I would die.  Minus 4 was excruciating!  I said give me 20 below at home!   It’s a dry cold🤪

But when it hits minus 40 Where Celsius and Fahrenheit are the same it’s too cold to go out for more than a few minutes.  I taught some cool kids who didn’t believe in toques,  until they got frostbite on their ears. 

I hear you on the cold.  

We just had our new snow plow guy over to go over some stuff.  We don’t need the snow plowed unless it’s 10 cm but I told him it there is any rain or slush coming down and we are dropping down to those awful temps, get it before it’s ice.  Our driveway is huge and on a hill.  It’s not fun if it’s icy even trying to treat it.  LOL.

• Like 6

Just heard on the news that the US Canada border will remain closed to all but essential traffic at least another month, to December 21. My guess is it will stay closed at the very least to January possibly even until March 21, a full year but that is just my gut feeling. We are rethinking Christmas even though we are only 10, a group size still allowed in Essex county. 

• Like 5

Thanks for all the reports. 

Today, two new covid cases detected in people who have returned to the country and are in managed hotel isolation.

In Auckland, Mask wearing is now mandatory on all public transport, also on all flights within the country.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 7

A bit of a report from Maryland.  This morning was the coldest since I changed trains in Chicago January 16, and it will be even colder tomorrow morning (26F/-2C).  The good news is that it will start warming up from that and even looks pretty good for Thanksgiving.

Our Covid numbers are really spiking.  So far we still have significant hospital capacity in most places but I'm not sure how long it can go on.  Some things are different from the first wave, with more of the problem in the rural areas.  Back in early summer I had thought about a getaway to Western Maryland but not any more.  Both of our 2 westernmost counties have more new cases this month than the total from the beginning of March to the end of October.

My own county is spiking as well with new restrictions in place.  They just largely locked down the fire stations and I can only go in sparingly.  It has been 2 or 3 times a week (it would be almost daily before the pandemic) and now it will be either once or twice depending on what's happening.

Roy

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

My own county is spiking as well with new restrictions in place.  They just largely locked down the fire stations and I can only go in sparingly.  It has been 2 or 3 times a week (it would be almost daily before the pandemic) and now it will be either once or twice depending on what's happening.

First - stay warm, Roy!

I have never heard of them locking down fire stations, before. Another first for me. Stay well!

• Like 4

Good evening all, late to the post.  I had an early morning conference call and got busy for the rest of the day.  Just wanted Rich, Roy and others who contribute regularity to this thread how much you are appreciated.  

• Like 7