CDC UPDATE

trbarton

Here is another link from the CDC;  if you click on the link by trbarton;  this is s sublink to that article.  Notice the Nov 1, 2021 date

Framework for Conditional Sailing Order for Cruise Ships

October 30, 2020 Update

On October 30, 2020, CDC issued a Framework for Conditional Sailing Order. This Order is effective upon signature and was published in the Federal Registerexternal icon on November 4, 2020.

This Order shall remain in effect until the earliest of

• The expiration of the Secretary of Health and Human Services’ declaration that COVID-19 constitutes a public health emergency,
  • The CDC Director rescinds or modifies the order based on specific public health or other considerations, or
  • November 1, 2021.

See the attached Order (print-only) pdf icon[PDF – 40 pages] for the full requirements.

11 hours ago, stevenr597 said:

Bottom line is we cannot expect the Cruise Lines in the U.S. to begin cruising until the vaccines are widely available.  Even then, there might be a problem in that children probably will not be cleared to receive the vaccine until, at the very least, the Fall.

I could see a situation in which children my not be permitted on cruise vessels for the near future.  

Even after the various vaccines are widely available, what happens if there is a significant number of people who refuse to get the vaccine?

I don't know if there has been any discussion of that.

5 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Even after the various vaccines are widely available, what happens if there is a significant number of people who refuse to get the vaccine?

IF the cruise lines, and ports, decide - no vaccine, no cruise for you ...

4 hours ago, voljeep said:

IF the cruise lines, and ports, decide - no vaccine, no cruise for you ...

But if not enough of the population get the vaccine, there may be no cruises for anyone or ports willing to accept people if there were cruises.

I see your point of the cruise lines only taking the vaccinated, but if not enough get vaccinated will we ever get out of this pandemic? That is what I question.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, voljeep said:

good to see the CB 'go green' - it's just, or was just, off the coast near PE/FLL - believe that will be the first 'test cruise' ship

does every separate ship have to do a test cruise ?

I would think so, but that's just my assumption.

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ontheweb said:

They probably will not be permitted on the cruise lines, for that matter any type of public transportation that crosses state lines. 

On a related note, interesting, and ominous, article in today's WSJ about the worldwide problems with the manufacturing and distribution of the COVID vaccines. 

Only 10 countries are currently projected to vaccinate up to 1/3 of their populations by year-end 2021, the USA being one of those ten - others include: Bahrain, the Seychelles, Israel, the UK, Romania, UAE, Malta, Iceland and Serbia. Even more alarming, these countries are projected to reach only a 21% rate, at current rates, by year-end 2022. Granted, "current rates" are expected to improve, but to what effectiveness with these numbers?

This is not a good look for cruising.

Even if the USA exceeds its' projections, where we will go, and who will man the ships?

The Philippines, for example, home to many cruise crew members, has projected that 70 million people would be vaccinated by YE2021, but the IMA Asia group, a peer panel of leading business experts in their respective countries warns that "We doubt if half the 2021 goal can be reached."

We're sitting on two bookings now and are very anxious to get going again, but the reality of this crisis is quite upsetting. 

Can the cruise lines even survive a two year layup? 

Any replies that help me ease off the ledge are appreciated!

loge23;   I believe the US will be in great shape once Johnson and Johnson gets approval and also Astrazeneca is approved for the US; which should be soon.  J&J should put in for approval in next two weeks

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ontheweb said:

But if not enough of the population get the vaccine, there may be no cruises for anyone or ports willing to accept people if there were cruises.

I see your point of the cruise lines only taking the vaccinated, but if not enough get vaccinated will we ever get out of this pandemic? That is what I question.

Eventually yes.  Counld be anywhere from a year or so to 5 years or more.  Every person that is not get vaccinated is just another potential case but is also another breeding spot for a potential mutation.  The faster we vaccinate and the more that get vaccinated (not only in the US but around the world) the fewer mutations and the faster we get out of this.

Even if we were to vaccinate everyone in the the developed countries, the unvaccinated in the poorer countries will provide cases for potential mutations that might work around the vaccines.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, voljeep said:

good to see the CB 'go green' - it's just, or was just, off the coast near PE/FLL - believe that will be the first 'test cruise' ship

does every separate ship have to do a test cruise ?

While not definitely spelled out, based on CDC prior procedures, yes, since it is evaluating the training of the crew in the procedures, not just whether the procedures work.

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, ontheweb said:

No different than if there was a significant number of people who refuse to pay. No pay, no cruise. No shot, no cruise. If they make it required. Which my guess is that they will. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, loge23 said:

On a related note, interesting, and ominous, article in today's WSJ about the worldwide problems with the manufacturing and distribution of the COVID vaccines. 

Only 10 countries are currently projected to vaccinate up to 1/3 of their populations by year-end 2021, the USA being one of those ten - others include: Bahrain, the Seychelles, Israel, the UK, Romania, UAE, Malta, Iceland and Serbia. Even more alarming, these countries are projected to reach only a 21% rate, at current rates, by year-end 2022. Granted, "current rates" are expected to improve, but to what effectiveness with these numbers?

But there are 7+ billion people on the planet. International travel will not be safe until the people at the destinations have been sufficiently vaccinated with effective vaccines.

12 hours ago, nocl said:

Eventually yes.  Counld be anywhere from a year or so to 5 years or more.  Every person that is not get vaccinated is just another potential case but is also another breeding spot for a potential mutation.  The faster we vaccinate and the more that get vaccinated (not only in the US but around the world) the fewer mutations and the faster we get out of this.

Even if we were to vaccinate everyone in the the developed countries, the unvaccinated in the poorer countries will provide cases for potential mutations that might work around the vaccines.

But aren’t they saying we will probably have to get a top up jab every year now the same as the flu vaccine. To not only top up your antibodies but also to take into account any new variants. 

13 hours ago, loge23 said:

Even if the USA exceeds its' projections, where we will go, and who will man the ships?

The Philippines, for example, home to many cruise crew members, has projected that 70 million people would be vaccinated by YE2021, but the IMA Asia group, a peer panel of leading business experts in their respective countries warns that "We doubt if half the 2021 goal can be reached."

We're sitting on two bookings now and are very anxious to get going again, but the reality of this crisis is quite upsetting. 

Can the cruise lines even survive a two year layup? 

Any replies that help me ease off the ledge are appreciated!

That article may not be too factual. We haven't started the vaccinations here yet (starting by end Feb) but the Govt projects that all of those wishing to be vaccinated will be done by the end of October 2021. 

• Like 2

We just sit back relax, have another cup of coffee or tea;  then cross our fingers and let the powers to be figure it out.  I know they won't be asking me for any input on how to re start cruising. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, CountryCruiser said:

No different than if there was a significant number of people who refuse to pay. No pay, no cruise. No shot, no cruise. If they make it required. Which my guess is that they will. 

I understand no shot, no cruise, but worries me is that if a significant number of people refuse vaccinations, the virus will still be rampant and ports will quite possibly not be open to ships. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I understand no shot, no cruise, but worries me is that if a significant number of people refuse vaccinations, the virus will still be rampant and ports will quite possibly not be open to ships. 

I'm confidant that it'll be a "requirement" on every cruise line that operates out of any US port unless you have a disability to prove that you can't have it. 

I can't see otherwise. Just because someone doesn't want the shot won't be reason enough not to have it. 

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

I'm confidant that it'll be a "requirement" on every cruise line that operates out of any US port unless you have a disability to prove that you can't have it. 

I can't see otherwise. Just because someone doesn't want the shot won't be reason enough not to have it. 

I agree totally, but the question is if there are a lot of people who do not want the shot and do not take the shot, will there ever be control enough of the pandemic for cruises to start again in the USA.