CDC UPDATE

trbarton

On 2/11/2021 at 6:10 PM, D C said:

This is the CDCs release. The link doesn't seem to be dated, so I'm not sure if the info changes with each update. 

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/info-by-product/clinical-considerations.html

Thank you!

It now has the line:

"Summary of recent changes (last updated February 10, 2021)"

By the way I received the first dose of the Pfizer vaccine today.

Edited by brisalta
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, brisalta said:

Thank you!

It now has the line:

"Summary of recent changes (last updated February 10, 2021)"

By the way I received the first dose of the Pfizer vaccine today.

I forgot to mention that when getting the vaccine I was issued with a "CDC COVID-19 Vaccination Record Card".  Will the cruise lines recognize those in future as proof of vaccination?

1 hour ago, brisalta said:

I forgot to mention that when getting the vaccine I was issued with a "CDC COVID-19 Vaccination Record Card".  Will the cruise lines recognize those in future as proof of vaccination?

A card you could run off on a home printer?  Likely not.  Airlines are looking at electronic records. More likely.

4 hours ago, brisalta said:

I don't see why not as there is no official vaccination form for any other vaccination. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jimmieg said:

A card you could run off on a home printer?  Likely not.  Airlines are looking at electronic records. More likely.

There are ways to detect whether something has been printed on a home printer versus an official source.

Anyhow I do not know why someone would fake a COVID-19 vaccination card as the vaccination costs nothing.

4 hours ago, brisalta said:

Anyhow I do not know why someone would fake a COVID-19 vaccination card as the vaccination costs nothing.

Because they do not want for whatever reason the vaccination or are unable to get the vaccination but need the card for travel or other purposes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, caribill said:

Because they do not want for whatever reason the vaccination or are unable to get the vaccination but need the card for travel or other purposes.

Or because they are having trouble getting an appointment for the vaccine. Or just because some people want to be able to put something over on the authorities. 

It is unfortunate, but if we are to believe some posters, there are already fake cards available.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, brisalta said:

13 hours ago, jimmieg said:

At this point in time, the only documentation available is that CDC Record Card.  Although the card was intended to only serve as a reminder to return for a second shot, people have no other form of verification at this time. 

According to the CDC : "COVID-19 vaccination providers must document vaccine administration in their medical record systems within 24 hours of administration and use their best efforts to report administration data to the relevant system for the jurisdiction (i.e., immunization information system) as soon as practicable and no later than 72 hours after administration."

See: Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine Information | CDC

There's a very good article about this on GoodRX.com.  In the article the author states that not every state has an 'immunization information system' and the CDC does not maintain any such records.  So, for now, all we have is that card.  I suspect that if vaccination becomes a requirement for many activities, a more reliable form of documentation will be developed.  (There's probably money to be made for whoever develops a secure readily accessible vaccination record...)  The whole GoodRX article can be found here, it's an interesting read: How Can I Show I’ve Received the COVID-19 Vaccine? - GoodRx  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

At this point in time, the only documentation available is that CDC Record Card.  Although the card was intended to only serve as a reminder to return for a second shot, people have no other form of verification at this time. 

My vaccine info is in my health record. I also provided it to vsafe.cdc.gov. Perhaps that could be used as proof.

1 minute ago, memoak said:

It should show up on your health providers electronic vaccination records just like your regular flu shot does

But if you didn't get the shots from your regular health provider then they wouldn't have that data.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

But if you didn't get the shots from your regular health provider then they wouldn't have that data.

we got our flu shots at Publix

we got both covid-19 shots at my wife's work location administered by Walgreens

our health provider ( who we are not really enamored with ) knows of neither, which is our fault, not theirs,  be that as it is

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

Here in Portland all the health providers have access to each other’s records. When I had to go to a Legacy emergency ward they were able to take my Kaiser health card and see my history

23 minutes ago, sunsetme said:

most states have disorganized health systems, no coordination

Just a few years ago, I was admitted to a hospital in Massachusetts and the computerized emergency room records were not available to the staff on the main floors.  The nursing staff on my floor had no idea what meds I was given in the ER or when I got the meds.  They had two different computer systems which couldn't communicate with each other.  I have been given to believe this not an uncommon occurrence.   Can you imagine the data communication problems between various states?

Edited by Daniel A

6 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Just a few years ago, I was admitted to a hospital in Massachusetts and the computerized emergency room records were not available to the staff on the main floors.  The nursing staff on my floor had no idea what meds I was given in the ER or when I got the meds.  They had two different computer systems which couldn't communicate with each other.  I have been given to believe this not an uncommon occurrence.   Can you imagine the data communication problems between various states?

There are standards for exchanging health information.  HL-7 is probably the most common one.  But for most offices there is no real incentive to pay for systems to exchange data and a little thing called HIPAA tends to provide a bit of discouragement.  

The one place where there is incentive is passing medical data involved in billing between practitioner/provider and payor (insurance/government)

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Daniel A said:

So, for now, all we have is that card.  I suspect that if vaccination becomes a requirement for many activities, a more reliable form of documentation will be developed.

When you get that second shot, the card is updated to show that and the batch number, so after the 2nd shot it is no longer just a reminder, but a record of both shots.

• Like 1

There is talk on here about a "passport" type document with all your immunizations including COVID vaccinations being proposed to be used for any travel by air or sea.  The CDC card may well be superseded by this new "passport" and required for all travel by air or sea even within the US.  This is all new and the final decision is yet to be made.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, satxdiver said:

There is talk on here about a "passport" type document with all your immunizations including COVID vaccinations being proposed to be used for any travel by air or sea.  The CDC card may well be superseded by this new "passport" and required for all travel by air or sea even within the US.  This is all new and the final decision is yet to be made.  

Probably will be a requirement.  Cannot see any cruise line permitting a passenger without a vaccine or board.  In addition, all crew members will have to be vaccinated.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, satxdiver said:

For countries that have endemic yellow fever the International Certificate of Vaccination or Prophylaxis (Yellow Fever Card) is considered the "vaccination passport"

figure_4-02.png

so why not something similar for COVID-19?

Edited by brisalta

1 hour ago, brisalta said:

For countries that have endemic yellow fever the International Certificate of Vaccination or Prophylaxis (Yellow Fever Card) is considered the "vaccination passport"

figure_4-02.png

so why not something similar for COVID-19?

How many people really need proof of yellow fever vaccination compared to the number of people who may end up needing to prove Covid-19 vaccination?  Counterfeit Covid-19 cards will be rampant, making the genuine cards suspect as well.