vaccines and cruising

Coco54

I never got a survey from cruise critic on this topic.  I am seeing like 81% in favor of mandatory vaccines?!!!  Nope.  I do not agree.  It should be like a flu shot.  It's your body people, we don't need this type of control over us.  I just got over Covid virus. I am 69.  My husband and I both had it. Like a really bad flu, but I can understand anyone with underlying problems could be worse, as they would would other flus or diseases.  Did you all get this survey, or is this the media trying to lie and put what they want us to see out there?  I love to travel, but THIS vaccine is really stepping way out of line.  Just like us.  We just had the virus.  We are naturally immune.  I refuse to go take the vaccine (which does not prevent you from getting the virus), when I am already immune.  Why would I do that?  People need to start doing their own research, and stop listening blindly to the media.  It's not an easy task, with main stream media, social media pulling any info off they don't want you to see.  Use your own judgement after reading all the facts people!

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Coco54 said:

I never got a survey from cruise critic on this topic.  I am seeing like 81% in favor of mandatory vaccines?!!!  Nope.  I do not agree.  It should be like a flu shot.  It's your body people, we don't need this type of control over us.  I just got over Covid virus. I am 69.  My husband and I both had it. Like a really bad flu, but I can understand anyone with underlying problems could be worse, as they would would other flus or diseases.  Did you all get this survey, or is this the media trying to lie and put what they want us to see out there?  I love to travel, but THIS vaccine is really stepping way out of line.  Just like us.  We just had the virus.  We are naturally immune.  I refuse to go take the vaccine (which does not prevent you from getting the virus), when I am already immune.  Why would I do that?  People need to start doing their own research, and stop listening blindly to the media.  It's not an easy task, with main stream media, social media pulling any info off they don't want you to see.  Use your own judgement after reading all the facts people!

WOW!  

See my my response to your post on “Proof of COVID shot” thread.    

Edited by navybankerteacher
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Coco54 said:

I never got a survey from cruise critic on this topic.  I am seeing like 81% in favor of mandatory vaccines?!!!  Nope.  I do not agree. 

Pretty sure the vaccine is not mandatory. What is being suggested is that it may be a REQUIREMENT for certain types of travel, like cruising or long-haul flights.

If you don't want to take the vaccine, you don't have to (i.e., the definition of "mandatory"). But as a result of your choice, your travel options might be limited...

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Coco54 said:

Use your own judgement after reading all the facts people!

I don't know your educational or professional background but most lay people are incapable of understanding and interpreting the facts.

24 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

There is no chance in hell 81% would be in favor of mandatory vaccines. Zero.

I am 100% in favor of the COVID vaccine but would not support mandatory vaccines across the board.  I think vaccine requirements are appropriate for some activities, such as cruises or international travel.  But otherwise folks should not be forced to take it if they don't want it.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Coco54 said:

Wow! Your version of "facts" is ... interesting. You do realize that your "immunity" is not proven to be permanent yet? It has been shown that the "immunity" wears off and people have caught COVID again. Also, in people who do NOT have underlying conditions, it can be far worse than the flu. COVID is random in who it attacks, who it becomes "bad" in, who it kills. I'm not just listening blindly; I have had the dubious pleasure of working the emergency response to COVID. 

• Like 9

I'm pro choice with regards to vaccines, especially once they are widely available on demand. I'll be getting mine ASAP and my kids after that; hoping to get multiple variants of the vaccine actually, to boost my immune response to the highest possible level. Once vaccines are widely available, open everything up and let the chips fall where they may! Protect yourself or not, I couldn't care less, just don't expect the world to stop or slow down based on your choices (or lack thereof). Chose wisely! 

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, clo said:

I don't know your educational or professional background but most lay people are incapable of understanding and interpreting the facts.

I really do think this is overstating things. "Most lay people" covers a whole lot of people.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

I really do think this is overstating things. "Most lay people" covers a whole lot of people.

I agree. That's painting with a very wide brush. Change "most" to "some" and it would be accurate IMO.  BUT, from comments I've read on multiple threads here over the past year, that "some" is not a small number. I find the lack of basic understanding of the science is appalling. Assuming science is still studied in high schools, were these people sleeping in class? Where does this wilful dismissal of science come from?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jwattle said:

Wow! Your version of "facts" is ... interesting. You do realize that your "immunity" is not proven to be permanent yet? It has been shown that the "immunity" wears off and people have caught COVID again. Also, in people who do NOT have underlying conditions, it can be far worse than the flu. COVID is random in who it attacks, who it becomes "bad" in, who it kills. I'm not just listening blindly; I have had the dubious pleasure of working the emergency response to COVID. 

Antibodies decline in several months time [90-120 days] but that is only one portion of immune response.

The T and 'memory B' cell responses remain robust for years. I recall some info on the CDC site about cross reactivity from prior SARS-COV-1 and MERS exposure.

Not the link I was looking for but here is a start on the CDC site. I may need to chase [and bookmark[ some of the footnoted documents

Edited by TheOldBear
Added link to CDC article

1 hour ago, TheOldBear said:

Antibodies decline in several months time [90-120 days] but that is only one portion of immune response.

The T and 'memory B' cell responses remain robust for years. I recall some info on the CDC site about cross reactivity from prior SARS-COV-1 and MERS exposure.

Not the link I was looking for but here is a start on the CDC site. I may need to chase [and bookmark[ some of the footnoted documents

Agreed, but that is mainly for treatment, not remaining "permanently immune" as the OP is stating. It is possible to become reinfected, especially as time passes.

The indisputable fact is that there isn't enough known to just decide that  because you have had COVID you are immune indefinitely. 

I find the debate here on cruise critic so amazing.  I trust the cruise lines, airlines, countries will figure out what we need to do for travel purposes.  Since I wish to travel more, I will gladly get vaccine.  If vaccine required and you don't' want it stay home.   

• Like 6

In response to the OP's question, I received an email from Cruise Critic with a survey asking if I thought that the vaccine should be required for cruising, to which I replied in the affirmative. I later received another email with the results that 81% of CC members agreed with me. The survey was only for cruising, not mandatory vaccines for all.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NikiPinkston said:

In response to the OP's question, I received an email from Cruise Critic with a survey asking if I thought that the vaccine should be required for cruising, to which I replied in the affirmative. I later received another email with the results that 81% of CC members agreed with me. The survey was only for cruising, not mandatory vaccines for all.

FWIW, I never received the survey.  Maybe it was sent out to a random sample of folks on CC?

11 hours ago, Coco54 said:

So much misinformation...  But then, TX...

My wife's beautician and her husband caught COVID-19,  He was in excellent health walking 5 miles every morning before work.  He died in hospital.  They were both admitted on the same day.  She lived, weakened.  Really sad.

CDC has stated that having had COVID-19 is not a reason to bypass the vaccination.  They are recommending anyone who has had the virus get vaccinated.

Getting the vaccination helps you AND helps reduce transmission and infecting others.  Period!

You are not "naturally immune."  Many people have had COVID-19 multiple times.  Thirtyish woman in the news recently caught COVID-19 in March and has suffered half a dozen relapses.  

There is also something called "long COVID."  Person continues to suffer from COVID for months just to has bad as first caught.

Agree re media.  Too much false information released by those who still believe this is all a hoax.  Listen to the CDC now that to is out from under political pressure.

Spouse and I have had both Pfizer One and Two.  We continue to practice Safe procedures when out of the house: wear PPE, social distance and wash/sanitize hands.  Stay safe!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Joebucks said:

There is no chance in hell 81% would be in favor of mandatory vaccines. Zero.

Given your apparent degree of certainty on this point :

“...no chance in hell... .Zero.”,

would you say that at least 81% of the population are certain that far less than 81% would be in favor of mandatory vaccines?

Perhaps you should define “mandatory”.  Does it mean that everyone must have it;  or does it mean that if someone wants to cruise, he must have it?