vaccine required?

delliemd

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

Also from the same article, "Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, told CNN in early March that the U.S. shouldn't ease COVID-19 restrictions until the number of new coronavirus cases falls below 10,000 daily, and "maybe even considerably less than that." 

That also sounds pretty vague to me.  

Because it depends upon spread pattern as well as the numbers, but it does create a threshhold  where one can look for the CDC to change recommendations.

5 minutes ago, nocl said:

Because it depends upon spread pattern as well as the numbers, but it does create a threshhold  where one can look for the CDC to change recommendations.

But they still want the ability to move the goal posts.  At some point they must take into account the American peoples willingness to keep going along with it.

13 minutes ago, voljeep said:

face shields in just regular public settings like grocery stores, Target, post office ?

have seen only a couple in those situations since this all started

Yes.  I live in La Porte, TX and have seen in the 10% range of people wearing face shields.  Not so much now but from the March 2020 for at least 6 months.  Maybe only 2% or 3% now.

I’m sure this has been announced elsewhere on this sub-forum within Cruise Critic, but you can bet that Princess will follow suit if it means getting back to business. 

https://www.cruisehive.com/ncls-vaccine-requirement-will-others-cruise-lines-follow-for-u-s-departures/49266

Edited by dmwnc1959
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, dmwnc1959 said:

I’m sure this has been announced elsewhere on this sub-forum within Cruise Critic, but you can bet that Princess will follow suit if it means getting back to business. 

https://www.cruisehive.com/ncls-vaccine-requirement-will-others-cruise-lines-follow-for-u-s-departures/49266

Agreed and I'm fine with it.  Every time I mention my upcoming cruise to friends they always bring up Diamond Princess.  IMO, more than any other cruise line, Princess really needs to "double down" on safety protocols and show the public just how serious they're taking it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tcdcruiser said:

IMHO

In regard to proof of vaccination.  We show a US Passport or State Driver's License to fly or cruise today.  We show proof of vaccination for our children to attend school.  We wear seatbelts when we drive.    We build our homes to meet local zoning laws.   We file our taxes by April 15th.  Our bags are x-rayed before we enter a sports event.  

Showing proof of vaccination for a 7 days Caribbean cruise is now the "Don't Tread on Me" line in the sand? 

Here's a brief read about George Washington and John Adams dealing with the 1778-1785 Smallpox Pandemic.  Given their sacrifices, I think they would find our actions hard to understand. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1775–1782_North_American_smallpox_epidemic

Nicely written post!

Regarding vaccination it's my observation (so it's not totally objective) that much of the push back regarding proof of vaccination is the method in which proof will be provided. In my opinion there seems to be a few camps, those that want a big technical method that's hard to fake but gives your data to those who can't be trusted and those that are good with the simple paper proof like the cards we use for other vaccines but could easily be faked.

There are also those who just don't want the vaccine at all which is their right (IMHO) but some are not willing to accept the consequences such as limiting their travel choices.

Finally, there are those who for valid medical reasons cannot take the vaccine at all. For them especially I pray the therapeutic research comes up with highly effective and inexpensive cures for those who do contract the disease.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tcdcruiser said:

IMHO

Sometime this summer or fall, all Americans who wanted a vaccination will become fully immunized.  The moment will be easily seen when we begin hearing news stories about endless vaccine supply and same day appointment availability.

Then.....those of us fully vaccinated (guess 65% to 75% of Americans) will lose our willingness to "mask up" to protect those not vaccinated.  This attitude will accelerate as we hear more about booster shots (already in trial) to address the variants.  The overwhelming weight of public opinion alone from those of us vaccinated will cause mask and distance rules to be relaxed or eliminated.

The virus will then run it course with those 25% +/- of Americans not vaccinated.  Then we will reach herd immunity the hard way.

In regard to proof of vaccination.  We show a US Passport or State Driver's License to fly or cruise today.  We show proof of vaccination for our children to attend school.  We wear seatbelts when we drive.    We build our homes to meet local zoning laws.   We file our taxes by April 15th.  Our bags are x-rayed before we enter a sports event.  

Showing proof of vaccination for a 7 days Caribbean cruise is now the "Don't Tread on Me" line in the sand? 

Here's a brief read about George Washington and John Adams dealing with the 1778-1785 Smallpox Pandemic.  Given their sacrifices, I think they would find our actions hard to understand. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1775–1782_North_American_smallpox_epidemic

Yep, after the point at which all Americans who wanted a vaccine can get a vaccine, it’s not my duty to protect others from an infectious disease anymore.  They can choose to get immunized or take the risk.  Out of my hands.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, beg3yrs said:

Nicely written post!

Regarding vaccination it's my observation (so it's not totally objective) that much of the push back regarding proof of vaccination is the method in which proof will be provided. In my opinion there seems to be a few camps, those that want a big technical method that's hard to fake but gives your data to those who can't be trusted and those that are good with the simple paper proof like the cards we use for other vaccines but could easily be faked.

There are also those who just don't want the vaccine at all which is their right (IMHO) but some are not willing to accept the consequences such as limiting their travel choices.

Finally, there are those who for valid medical reasons cannot take the vaccine at all. For them especially I pray the therapeutic research comes up with highly effective and inexpensive cures for those who do contract the disease.

Excellent post!  However, the odds of anyone being allergic to all of the vaccines is very remote.  Each vaccine has different ingredients, except for polyethylene glycol. So it's possible someone could be allergic to that.  If that's the case, then they're allergic to many vaccines, not just the ones for Covid.

By the way, I am not a doctor, but I have done my research on each vaccine to make sure my wife and I were not allergic.  Thankfully we're not.  This is when I found out about possible PEG allergies that some have.  So check with your doctor! 

32 minutes ago, ebeluga said:

Yep, after the point at which all Americans who wanted a vaccine can get a vaccine, it’s not my duty to protect others from an infectious disease anymore.  They can choose to get immunized or take the risk.  Out of my hands.

Even those vaccinated are not fully safe, even if these are a small percentage of those vaccinated. Even the best vaccine is not 100% effective.

Michigan officials say 246 people tested positive for the virus two weeks or more after becoming fully vaccinated – and three have died.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2021/04/06/covid-news-new-york-maryland-open-vaccines-16-variants-spread/7097703002/?utm

4 hours ago, Daniel A said:

But they still want the ability to move the goal posts.  At some point they must take into account the American peoples willingness to keep going along with it.

Yes they certainly do, depending upon all of the conditions at the time.  For example if they hit 10,000 but it is a plateau and not still dropping they will probably not relax.  If there is a new variant that is resistant and those cases are growing, they probably will not relax.

If they get to 10,000, no new threats and the case counts are consistently dropping, then they will relax the recommendations.

It is all about context.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, trottime said:

We have a reservation on a Princess west coast cruise in August. I called Princess today and asked if, as expected, the cruise will sail, will it be limited to vaccinated passengers. The answer was "not determined yet." If non vaccinated cruisers are allowed on the ship with vaccinated passengers, what happens if, as is entirely possible, some of the non vaccinated get sick from the virus. Will the vaccinated cruisers be able to continue uninhibited and not be required to stay in their cabins or otherwise refrain from regular activities? This is critical. I'm sure we can remember to people last year that were on a cruise ship with people sick with he virus. It was awful. We are booked on a Celebrity cruise leaving from St Martiin in June that will only have vaccinated crew and passengers.

except for those under 18, who will be tested but not vaccinated.

Most lines seem to be requiring vaccinations to sail.  No one knows for sure, but it could also depend on how close contact someone had with an affected passenger.  Scientists are unsure how long protection lasts.  The last I read it was 6 months.

1 hour ago, Tak8 said:

Most lines seem to be requiring vaccinations to sail.  No one knows for sure, but it could also depend on how close contact someone had with an affected passenger.  Scientists are unsure how long protection lasts.  The last I read it was 6 months.

The 6 months is because that is all the data they have right now 

• Like 5

I am going to guess, strictly a guess, that on the side of high caution, the cruise line would require all passengers to isolate regardless of inoculation status in the OP's scenario. I'm also going to guess that any cruise this close in (August of this year) will require all passengers to be vaccinated or (for minors) proof of a negative test. 

Edited by joepeka
  • Like 1

NCL just stated that they will start sailing this summer with only vaccinated passengers. Only Royal Caribbean has said that under 18s can sail with a negative test. But now anyone as young as 12 can get vaccinated with Pfizer in the USA after April 19.  So even Royal Caribbean May require it. I would think that the cruise lines in an abundance of caution will require vaccination by summer for everyone who sails. The last thing they need is another shutdown.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

FYI: Vaccinated passengers could also be the source of infection for others.

Hardly.  Buy a lottery ticket.  More and more the info is highly unlikely.  We are never going to see 0.00% as someone can always find an exception case.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, caribill said:

Even those vaccinated are not fully safe, even if these are a small percentage of those vaccinated. Even the best vaccine is not 100% effective.

Michigan officials say 246 people tested positive for the virus two weeks or more after becoming fully vaccinated – and three have died.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2021/04/06/covid-news-new-york-maryland-open-vaccines-16-variants-spread/7097703002/?utm

They're safe.  Remember, efficacy is between 90-95%, it's not 100%.   But as the article also pointed out and you so graciously didn't post:   Lynn Sutfin, spokeswoman for the state health department, told USA TODAY in an email that the positive tests represent a small fraction of 1% of the 1.7 million vaccinated across the state. Two of the three deaths occurred within three weeks of completing the vaccine, she said. All three were 65 or older.

Vaccines aren't a silver bullet, they're to help us not get so sick that we're hospitalized and possibly die.  

• Like 1