vaccine required?

delliemd

3 minutes ago, kiwimum said:

Make a copy of it.

The nurse giving me the vaccine recommended taking a picture with our smartphones.  Instead of laminating the card we purchased plastic sleeves to keep them in. 

Available on Amazon:
KEYLION 10 Pack Large 3" x 4" Horizontal Name Tag Badge ID Card Holder, Heavy Duty Clear Plastic Cover Sleeve Pouch with Waterproof Type Resealable Zip, Fits 3x4 Inches Name Badge Inserts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The nurse is correct.   Do not laminate.  Agree and I can just see a border agent or other authorities stating, “this card appears tampered with”  

I like the sleeve idea.  Ours are in a  zip lock bag for now, with the passports. 
I do think the mobile thing may become a reality, not sure how long.  Discussions ongoing in Europe around this as well.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kiwimum said:

Do not laminate the card.  If a booster is required you will not be able to add it to the original card.  Make a copy of it.

Plastic sleeve is good idea. 
I take photos of my docs in case needed onshore when passport is in safe. Or lost. 
and not everyone travels with an iPhone etc so that could be a problem if digital. 

still will wait & see. Have not even got appointment for first shot of vaccine. 

2 hours ago, nocl said:

Actually if you read his order it is exactly that, that no business in Florida can use vaccination status to determine access.

Ah, a voice of reason who had thought about this for a bit before going off on cruises.  There has been similar discussions up here - as to dealing with vaccinated customers versus non-vaccinated.  It would seem to me, without reading the order as yet, that the idea is to not discriminate against customers who are not vaccinated by choice or having to wait. 

We have exceptions in our mask bylaws up here, for example, that allow for exemptions and store owners are not to discriminate in those situations either and in fact are not allowed to ask what the exemption is, nor is the customer required to say anything particular about their exemption.

I think international travel is going to be a different beast than interacting with domestic businesses.  The initial government take in Canada has been against a vaccination "passport" for access to places, but quite likely to be in use for international travel.

49 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Ah, a voice of reason who had thought about this for a bit before going off on cruises.  There has been similar discussions up here - as to dealing with vaccinated customers versus non-vaccinated.  It would seem to me, without reading the order as yet, that the idea is to not discriminate against customers who are not vaccinated by choice or having to wait. 

We have exceptions in our mask bylaws up here, for example, that allow for exemptions and store owners are not to discriminate in those situations either and in fact are not allowed to ask what the exemption is, nor is the customer required to say anything particular about their exemption.

I think international travel is going to be a different beast than interacting with domestic businesses.  The initial government take in Canada has been against a vaccination "passport" for access to places, but quite likely to be in use for international travel.

Where I am if someone can not wear a mask they still do not let them into the store, but they will get what they want and bring it out to them.

3 hours ago, kiwimum said:

Do not laminate the card.  If a booster is required you will not be able to add it to the original card.  Make a copy of it.

Another reason not to laminate:

If you have a label pasted on it with the vaccine information, depending on the type of label it may be permanently blackened from the heat of lamination.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Daniel A said:

“It’s completely unacceptable for either the government or the private sector to impose upon you the requirement that you show proof of vaccine to just simply be able to participate in normal society,” DeSantis said."

DeSantis vows to ban ‘vaccination passports’ as he signs law shielding businesses from COVID-19 liability - Orlando Sentinel

So, how can a cruise operating from Florida require passengers to be vaccinated, with this order in place?

Given that, it is inevitable that there will be a shipboard coronavirus infection.

...when in port, ships operate somewhat as a Florida business.

They have a local liquor license and (depending on their mood, collect tax

on drinks and last morning purchases made in Florida)

Edited by Roberto256

5 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

So, how can a cruise operating from Florida require passengers to be vaccinated, with this order in place?

Given that, it is inevitable that there will be a shipboard coronavirus infection.

Sounds like cruise lines may have to find a different state to sail from. No way they will take the risk of infection shutting them down. That governor will have to back down

5 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

Then they'll need to consider moving to other ports outside of Florida, not sure the state wants to permanently lose their business.

1 minute ago, K.T.B. said:

Then they'll need to consider moving to other ports outside of Florida, not sure the state wants to permanently lose their business.

Individual companies / businesses can still make their own "rules" is the way I interpret this 

• Like 3

On 3/12/2021 at 11:27 PM, wheezedr said:

I realize that the OP has real concerns regarding a “possible “ allergic reaction to a Covid vaccine but would add the following Caveats.  
1. As others have noted, the methodology involved in the development of these vaccines and how they work is totally different from previous vaccines.  Thus one cannot extrapolate that previous issues will recur.

2. Having spent my fellowship time in a lab that actively tracked and searched for allergies to Diptheria and Tetanus immunizations and subsequently practiced for another 35 years, I would happily point out that significant numbers of people who claim allergy to vaccines may in fact have some “reaction” but it is not truly allergic.  A detailed history along with careful observation always allowed us to immunize that group.  Some did in fact have subsequent reactions, not allergic, but the value of being immunized overrode that discomfort and the reactions were generally easily amenable to treatment.

3. There are individuals who are truly allergic to certain immunizations, although it is often an associated adjuvant  in the vaccine or the milieu in which the vaccine was raised that is the actual source of the allergy.  Even in those cases our group and others developed protocols which allowed us to safely immunize them.  It at time necessitated longer times in the office and sometimes graduated increase in the dose of vaccine but During my years in practice I was able to immunize dozens of “allergic” patients who would otherwise not have been able to be protected by the particular vaccine then in use.

I would truly suggest the OP or anyone else concerned about a potential allergic reaction to Covid vaccine take the time to pursue the risks/benefit with a physician trained to provide care for allergic patients.

Interesting.  The vaccine I had a problem with was Tetanus, went unconscious, was hospitalized ,recovered was told never to get it again. When my son was born we started vaccines & when he had a bad reaction to a dpt shot they determined it was the Tetanus he was allergic to & he never had another. So I might only be allergic to Tetanus vaccine but I don't want to sail bad enough to get a corvid vaccine. Guess Vegas will be getting my money 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, delliemd said:

Interesting.  The vaccine I had a problem with was Tetanus, went unconscious, was hospitalized ,recovered was told never to get it again. When my son was born we started vaccines & when he had a bad reaction to a dpt shot they determined it was the Tetanus he was allergic to & he never had another. So I might only be allergic to Tetanus vaccine but I don't want to sail bad enough to get a corvid vaccine. Guess Vegas will be getting my money 

Completely understand that and am sorry that's the way it currently is. Possibly someday when the general level of immunity is way up and the COVID-19 treatments that are in development are ready (there are some promising ones), you'll be safe to cruise again.

Until then, watch those one-armed bandits and good luck. Winner winner, chicken dinner!

Edited by beg3yrs
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

The same way an airline in Florida can require it if the airline has flights to another country which requires the vaccination to enter the country.

" Don’t worry if you catch coronavirus when fully vaccinated — it can happen."

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article250308324.html?ac_cid=DM417526&ac_bid=-85653303

In part:

Ariel Silver of Northbrook, Illinois told NBC Chicago she received her second dose of the Pfizer vaccine in mid-January, then tested positive for COVID-19 in early March.

“It hit me hard. I’ve read that if someone vaccinated gets COVID, it’s usually very mild symptoms. But for two days my symptoms were not mild at all. I was in bed, very ill,” Silver told the outlet. “I could only imagine not having the vaccine and getting COVID and how much worse it would be. I do feel like it protected me against hospitalization and God forbid, death.”

• Like 1

3 hours ago, caribill said:

" Don’t worry if you catch coronavirus when fully vaccinated — it can happen."

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article250308324.html?ac_cid=DM417526&ac_bid=-85653303

In part:

Ariel Silver of Northbrook, Illinois told NBC Chicago she received her second dose of the Pfizer vaccine in mid-January, then tested positive for COVID-19 in early March.

“It hit me hard. I’ve read that if someone vaccinated gets COVID, it’s usually very mild symptoms. But for two days my symptoms were not mild at all. I was in bed, very ill,” Silver told the outlet. “I could only imagine not having the vaccine and getting COVID and how much worse it would be. I do feel like it protected me against hospitalization and God forbid, death.”

Well the Israeli data showed mortality reduced by 98% after vaccination, not eliminated.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, voljeep said:

Individual companies / businesses can still make their own "rules" is the way I interpret this 

As no order has been issued, all we have to go on is what the governor said he would do...

"Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said Monday that he would issue an executive order forbidding local governments and businesses from requiring so-called “vaccine passports” to show proof that customers have been inoculated against the coronavirus.'

It seems to me that is the opposite of what you wrote.

Businesses CAN NOT make their own rules requiring customers be vaccinated.

If business could continue to make their own rules, DeSantis would not need to issue any order...

The quote is from this source:

https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/florida-governor-to-forbid-vaccine-passports-with-executive-order/2416606/

3 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

It seems to me that is the opposite of what you wrote.

Businesses CAN NOT make their own rules requiring customers be vaccinated.

It seems to me that you’re willfully misinterpreting the idea of businesses making their own rules; whether a person gets vaccinated isn’t really up to them but the status of a person coming through their doors into their place of business seems well within their legitimate area of interest and right to control.

Pfizer vaccine test results on kids 12 to 15 is very encouraging! 

According to a Washington Post article (https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/03/31/coronavirus-covid-live-updates-us/) a Pfizer-BioNTech news release yesterday announced

• That the vaccine was safe and effective in adolescents as young as 12
  • That it was100 percent effective at preventing symptomatic illness 
  • That it triggered immune responses that were even more robust than those seen in young adults
  • That trial data will go to the FDA in the 'next few weeks.'
  • That vaccinations could begin before the next school year.

Step down testing has already started on kids 6 months to 11 years old:

• establishing a safe dose first in children 5 to 11
  • then in 2- to 5-year-olds
  • then in children from 6 months to 2 years

Edited by capriccio
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Florida Governor is pushing back against the idea of a "Vaccine Passport" as a requirement to participate in normal activities in Florida.  At this time, he is not pushing back against some venues requiring that individuals be vaccinated.  He might be concerned about ' the camel's nose under the tent flap.'  Would a requirement of a specific nationwide 'vaccine passport'  just be the start of requiring a form of nationally approved identification for other purposes?  Would it finally end at being solely used to document a persons health status in relation to Covid-19?  The White House has already said they expect private industry to come up with and manage any form of vaccine passport.  Do you want to trust that a high tech company (Google, Microsoft, Amazon etc...) to manage a 'passport' system?  Do you really think that when your passport gets scanned at a venue, (Disney World, Cruise Ship, hardware store) that the passport company won't keep and sell the data as to where and when you displayed your passport?  Next thing you know, your smart phone and internet will start getting pop up ads from Sea World, Royal Caribbean, Home Depot etc...

I am in favor of having a counterfeit proof form confirming Covid-19 vaccinations but I don't know how thrilled I would be about it being an electronic passport managed by a private corporation and being required to show it to enter any business or venue I wish to visit.

Edited by Daniel A
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, d9704011 said:

whether a person gets vaccinated isn’t really up to them but the status of a person coming through their doors into their place of business seems well within their legitimate area of interest and right to control.

Um ... I agree with you, so I'm not sure why you are disagreeing.   A business (or anyone in control of private property)

should be able to establish reasonable requirements for that access.

DeSantis said he will issue an executive order disallowing this.

Specifically that a business can not require proof of vacination.

"...forbidding local governments and businesses from requiring so-called “vaccine passports” to show proof that customers have been inoculated against the coronavirus..."

To me, this is crazy.  It is perfectly reasonable for a concert venue to require proof of vaccination prior to

letting a guest enter.   For the safety of everyone.

• Like 3

On 3/30/2021 at 12:14 AM, caribill said:

Another reason not to laminate:

If you have a label pasted on it with the vaccine information, depending on the type of label it may be permanently blackened from the heat of lamination.

No need to laminate as I got my proof of vaccination both in paper form (which I filed at home) and by email directly from the Ontario Ministry of Health. I stored my electronic version in my emails on my phone but also uploaded it to my Canadian Immunization App on my phone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, ringers0815 said:

No need to laminate as I got my proof of vaccination both in paper form (which I filed at home) and by email directly from the Ontario Ministry of Health. I stored my electronic version in my emails on my phone but also uploaded it to my Canadian Immunization App on my phone.

Same. 
how efficient was that. 
I just got appointment today. Got back just now. 
had email with digital receipt before I got in the car. 
next appointment was made when I was ready to leave 

so glad they opened up to more people this week. 

• Like 2