Which cruise to take???

Kuevan

I'm looking at two different cruises for 2023 - I know, a long time out!

Here are the two:

Carnival Magic - 8 day - Grand Turk, San Juan, St Kitts, St Maarten

Carnival Mardi Gras - 7 day - Grand Turk, Amber Cove, San Juan

The prices of the two are almost the same. Of the two, which would you do and why? I'm very interested in info on Amber Cove and St Kitts as I've never been to either of those two island.

We are booked on Magic 8 day in 2023 but the itinerary is a bit different, Amber Cove, San Juan, St Martin and St Thomas. Looking forward to it!!😀

And for more info re Amber Cove, we did an excursion through Carnival that was a 2 stop snorkeling on a catamaran.  Awesome!

St. Kitts we were taken by taxi to a beach club called Reggae Beach Bar, I believe that had monkeys and a 900 pound pig.  Wilbert the pig has passed.  That was a fun day as well!

Edited by ninjacat123

I would do the 8 day. (I was supposed to do that exact cruise on the Magic in December, so obviously I just like that one).

8 days are my favorite, and if I can get an extra day for the same price I'd do that.  I will say that 3 ports on a 7 day cruise is also really nice for relaxing and enjoying the ship, because you get 3 full days at sea, so that would also be nice to explore the new Mardi Gras.  However, with all that said, I'd still go for the 8.  The Mardi Gras will be there at another time.

I really enjoyed magic, more than dream in same class. I'd pick the 8 day knowing me, I need 21 more loyalty pts for diamond before I dont push for days. But I dont think anyone can pick for someone else.

Cant book a port hole on mardi gras, my normal best deal on carnival as a solo. I have booked other things, even a balcony, but more options are better and not sure I like this trend. Lol but they do include bubbles with suite booking at the higher prices.

Ordinarily I would take the longer cruise, but I was surprised to really like Amber Cove.  It has a great pool like Grand Turk, a zip line, and shopping area like Mahogany Bay.  But I don’t think there was a beach.  EM

48 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Ordinarily I would take the longer cruise, but I was surprised to really like Amber Cove.  It has a great pool like Grand Turk, a zip line, and shopping area like Mahogany Bay.  But I don’t think there was a beach.  EM

You're right, no beach but a nice pool area with swim up bar.  There is a bar at the top of the hill (a short hike) that has a great view of the cruise ship!

Of the 2, I would pick the Magic for the extra day, and IMO, the better itinerary.  I haven't been a fan of Amber Cove after staying in Puerto Plata resort back when nearby Ocean World was being built.  I much prefer Samana or Punta Cana when doing a DR vacay.

Sint Maarten and St Kitts have multiple opportunities for day tripping from a cruise ship and they are on the 8 day Magic vs. Amber Cove on the MG.

Unless the OP has an intense desire to sail the new MG ship, the Magic has the extra day and the better ports, so it's a no brainer IMO.

I would also take Magic with the longer itinerary and more "exotic" ports.  Amber Cove is nice to hang out at if you stay in the port/pool area, but St, Kitts and Martin have great beaches.    Mardi Gras is a larger, newer ship with more bells and whistles than Magic.  We like sailing on Magic, and try to stay away from the mega-ships due to more passengers - even though they may have more "space" per passenger.

I would take Magic (actually am in January 22 if it sails). Love the itinerary and hate the thoughts of that huge ship, Mardi Gras!  
Firefly, we only have 19 days to Diamond, had enough cruises booked to have gotten it this past January, but all were cancelled. Don’t know if we will ever make it now!

It also depends upon which is more important to YOU.  Being on the new jewel of Carnival, which is 180,000 tons and has many more options with food, drink , entertainment and relaxation versus the Magic, which is 130,000 tons and will be 12 years old in 2023.  Now, if the ship is your preference, then you choose the Mardi Gras.  If you prefer the ports and length, then you choose the Magic for the 8th day.

I cruise for the ship and did the Breeze in 2013, and then moved up to the Vista Class with the Horizon in 2018 and 2019, staying in the Havana area.  Next up is the Excellence Class with sailings on the Mardi Gras in 2021 and 2022 and then the Celebration in 2023.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bostwick girl said:

I would take Magic (actually am in January 22 if it sails). Love the itinerary and hate the thoughts of that huge ship, Mardi Gras!  
Firefly, we only have 19 days to Diamond, had enough cruises booked to have gotten it this past January, but all were cancelled. Don’t know if we will ever make it now!

We will be on Magic right before you!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Bostwick girl said:

I am 14 days away from Diamond.  It hurts to be so close, and yet so far!  3 cancelled cruises - would have been there March 2020.

Sailing on the Magic for the first time in December (we hope)-we prefer the smaller ships (which seem to be getting sold for scrap) so I cant comment on either ship (yet) But DH and I loved Amber Cove because of the excursion that we took, and Carnival no longer offers it.  That said=after cruising western Caribbean, sailing towards Amber Cove is incredible, the mountains are beautiful, the coast line like something out of Jurassic Park (where some of the film was filmed). 

Our excursion took us up into the mountains, dirt roads in a big bus, great driver.  Took us into town, where we shopped, to a girls orphanage, where we learned how the Dominican Republic handles religion, family, elderly care, and  how there are very strict drug laws, which is why  they created the orphanages, so the girls can continue to get education while their folks are serving time.  The kids are not up for adoption, they are being cared for.  We drove past the beaches, the fort in town, and then back to port, where we got the best -BEST= cup of coffee!

You don't list any past cruise history- the reason that i mention that is longer cruises are great if you love to cruise, but if it is your first cruise, you may want the shorter cruise.  DH and I are looking at 8 and 10 day cruises these days until we can no longer afford them, or are too old to go...(is that possible?)l

What ever you choose-have a great cruise!