US State Department to designate most countries with "Do Not Travel" advisory do to the pandemic

Ride-The-Waves

US National media is reporting that the US Department of State is going to designate most countries as "Do Not Travel" for Americans do to the pandemic.  This could likely further delay a return to cruising as well as curtail overseas travel from the US.

The State Department said Monday that it would start updating its travel advisories this week to drastically increase the number of countries that get the “Level 4: Do Not Travel” designation.

In a statement, the department said roughly 80 percent of countries worldwide would soon be marked at the highest warning level. As of Monday afternoon, about 16 percent of countries had that label.

“This alignment better reflects the current, unpredictable, and ever-evolving threat posed by covid-19,” the department said in an email. “We continue to strongly recommend U.S. citizens reconsider all travel abroad, and postpone their trips if possible.”

In a media note, the department said the change doesn’t “imply a reassessment of the current health situation in a given country,” but instead indicates a change in the advisory system to rely more heavily on information from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The note said that in addition to reflecting the travel health notices put out by the CDC, the advisories also consider “logistical factors” such as the availability of in-country testing and travel restrictions for U.S. citizens.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

US National media is reporting that the US Department of State is going to designate most countries as "Do Not Travel" for Americans do to the pandemic.  This could likely further delay a return to cruising as well as curtail overseas travel from the US.

The State Department said Monday that it would start updating its travel advisories this week to drastically increase the number of countries that get the “Level 4: Do Not Travel” designation.

In a statement, the department said roughly 80 percent of countries worldwide would soon be marked at the highest warning level. As of Monday afternoon, about 16 percent of countries had that label.

“This alignment better reflects the current, unpredictable, and ever-evolving threat posed by covid-19,” the department said in an email. “We continue to strongly recommend U.S. citizens reconsider all travel abroad, and postpone their trips if possible.”

In a media note, the department said the change doesn’t “imply a reassessment of the current health situation in a given country,” but instead indicates a change in the advisory system to rely more heavily on information from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The note said that in addition to reflecting the travel health notices put out by the CDC, the advisories also consider “logistical factors” such as the availability of in-country testing and travel restrictions for U.S. citizens.

Looks like a negative test before flying back to the US will be required for a while.

• Like 1

I’m not a big risk taker but this sounds like a easy one size fits all approach.  We are not ready to stop traveling and will decide what we will do based on the places we are visiting not a nowhere is safe approach.  If get get on a expressway at rush hour that isn’t very safe.

• Like 7

35 minutes ago, jelayne said:

I’m not a big risk taker but this sounds like a easy one size fits all approach.  We are not ready to stop traveling and will decide what we will do based on the places we are visiting not a nowhere is safe approach.  If get get on a expressway at rush hour that isn’t very safe.

We really have no idea until we see the list.  There are dozens of island nations that are banning travel and have pretty much avoided the virus.  Are those closed nations on a do not travel list?  Also things change quickly.  Arizona was probably worst for new cases last summer, but today numbers are under 500 a day with many of those corrections to prior months.

The problem today in the US as cases are not coming down and in Arizona we have more vaccine than demand.  Too many are afraid or refusing to be vaccinated to get this mess stopped.

The other issue is travel.  Europe hopefully in the next few weeks can get things under control, but worldwide case numbers are still incredibly high.

Let's see.... we are told 2-weeks after being fully vaccinated, we need to wear a mask to protect the non-vaccinated folks.  We are told the vaccine is the light and pathway forward.  Now we are told there will be list of countries not safe to travel?  What is the truth?  sigh.

• Like 6

India has just been added to the RED travel list by Gov.UK.

This means that anyone wanting to enter UK from India has to quarantine in an approved hotel for 10 days at their own expense unless they reside in UK and Ireland, where they can quarantine at home.

It is an attempt by the Government to cut down on variants being brought into the country.

I will go along with advise to protect myself and my family.

Also, insurance will not cover you, if you travel against advice.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, upwarduk said:

India has just been added to the RED travel list by Gov.UK.

This means that anyone wanting to enter UK from India has to quarantine in an approved hotel for 10 days at their own expense unless they reside in UK and Ireland, where they can quarantine at home.

It is an attempt by the Government to cut down on variants being brought into the country.

I will go along with advise to protect myself and my family.

Also, insurance will not cover you, if you travel against advice.

This is the BBC report as of yesterday

From 04:00 BST on Friday 23 April, most people who have travelled from India in the last 10 days will be refused entry.

British or Irish passport holders, or people with UK residence rights, will be allowed in but must quarantine in a government-approved hotel for 10 days.

IMO, this is the US's rebuttal to the cruise industry wanting to start up again.  Rather than be surgical in what they can do, they're going nuclear in their option.  I honestly do not see why they're going to the extreme NOW when it wasn't done a year ago.

• Like 5

The Netherlands Antilles are also RED. Curacao, in fact, is under lockdown this week. Wonder if X will cancel those cruises.

And St Lucia and Barbados are orange--Reconsider Travel--but they haven't yet updated their info to show the 80% red as announced.

The Bahamas are now experiencing a spike. Wonder what that will do to the planned cruises out of there...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, K.T.B. said:

IMO, this is the US's rebuttal to the cruise industry wanting to start up again.  Rather than be surgical in what they can do, they're going nuclear in their option.  I honestly do not see why they're going to the extreme NOW when it wasn't done a year ago.

This is an update for the State Department Travel Advisory.  It should not be ignored IMO,  but it is truly an advisory.  It is "should not travel" vs "cannot travel".  Or "travel at your own risk with no support from us."  Who knows if the State Department actually did this with CDC and HHS consultation.  Anyway it goes beyond just the cruise industry so I cannot see it as a rebuttal.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

This is an update for the State Department Travel Advisory.  It should not be ignored IMO,  but it is truly an advisory.  It is "should not travel" vs "cannot travel".  Or "travel at your own risk with no support from us."  Who knows if the State Department actually did this with CDC and HHS consultation.  Anyway it goes beyond just the cruise industry so I cannot see it as a rebuttal.

Looked it about 20 level 4 countries this morning.  Almost all were dealing with very high Covid numbers and there are restrictions for people visiting, local lockdowns and likely quarantine issues returning to your home country.  

Cannot see anything directed at the cruise industry.  As said, given a few months and things likely will improve.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, sofietucker said:

Lol, point taken. The thing is--for the State Dept--that this particular border is so porous as to be non-existent; there is no "show me your papers" checkpoint or anything, so covid-contamination could be very high. 

Also, because the volcanic eruption was on French St Vincent & still spewing as far as I can tell, it makes sense that they would blanket code red that group of islands--but then wouldn't the ash drift over the Dutch side too? 

I guess my error is in assuming that things would make sense., in spite of a year of NONsense.  It may all change by June, but we're booking a hotel on the Dutch side too, just in case... 

There are many such borders around the world and in Europe.  Last trip to Europe (pre-pandemic) we rented a car in Geneva, Switzerland to visit old haunts from my adolescence and unknowingly drive into France.  Only knew this by the changes in road and street signs.  No "douane" signs.  Nothing.  As a teen we rode bicycles across the border but there was at least an identification of that border...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Still home.  Getting tired of the pandemic.  Would like to travel, but fear getting sick. Fully vaccinated doesn’t provide travel opportunities yet.

I'd travel out of the country in a heartbeat...not sure if my leaders will let me back in.  

So I'll just hit up the gulf coast and enjoy myself, like I did 3 times last year.....not afraid in the least of getting sick.  I'm half vaccinated at this point, I just stay away from sick looking people.  🙂

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

I'd travel out of the country in a heartbeat...not sure if my leaders will let me back in.  

So I'll just hit up the gulf coast and enjoy myself, like I did 3 times last year.....not afraid in the least of getting sick.  I'm half vaccinated at this point, I just stay away from sick looking people.  🙂

Nice that you have one shot.  Until you are fully vaccinated, stay away from people, even those who don’t look sick.  Being fully vaccinated helps you and others.  Looking forward to herd immunity.  Be safe.

11 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Yep, that's certainly valid!

We've now got our shots, paid in full for our cruise, got no-change-fee air tix, TWO hotel reservations (French and Dutch), hired the catsitter... Now we'll just let the big dogs fight it out til June and see what's what.

If we have to cancel AGAIN, guess we'll just go to AZ to see family, in the Sonoran Desert, in the summer... (At this point, I'm advising mom not to go to Mexico to pick up her cheap prescriptions, either; be a drag if they decide to keep her over there.)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

Nice that you have one shot.  Until you are fully vaccinated, stay away from people, even those who don’t look sick.  Being fully vaccinated helps you and others.  Looking forward to herd immunity.  Be safe.

"She turned me into a newt!"

"What? You don't LOOK like a newt..."

23 minutes ago, sofietucker said:

Yep, that's certainly valid!

We've now got our shots, paid in full for our cruise, got no-change-fee air tix, TWO hotel reservations (French and Dutch), hired the catsitter... Now we'll just let the big dogs fight it out til June and see what's what.

If we have to cancel AGAIN, guess we'll just go to AZ to see family, in the Sonoran Desert, in the summer... (At this point, I'm advising mom not to go to Mexico to pick up her cheap prescriptions, either; be a drag if they decide to keep her over there.)

Sofie - about an hour for me to get to Mexico.  Stopped going for RX for DW because could get locally either using store $4 pharmacy list or GoodRX app.

For those complaining about the list.  Conditions in most other countries are different from the US.  Vaccine mostly non existent in some 60 countries.  Covid rampant in many - India and Brazil for example - with medical facilities limited.

Then you have travel restrictions.  Leave the Schengen countries (Switzerland and France for example have no border controls. treated as a single country for borders) and there are travel restrictions.  Many countries closed to tourism.  No predictions as to when things get better.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, K.T.B. said:

The cruise industry is the tip of the tail, not the main part of the dog.

A couple of reasons

1. Prior to this point the outbreak inside of the US was pretty much out of control and the concern with travelers from the US was more on US taking infection out, than people bringing it in.  Though we did put the testing requirements on international flights.

2. With the vaccine being widely available and if uptake continues then we have a good chance of getting the outbreak inside of the US under good control.  Thus as with several other countries the focus for the next stage of the fight is changing from the inside the country control, to keeping new variants than might have more vaccine resistance out.  Thus the increased focus on international travel.

3. With the current rate of vaccination in the rest of the world there will continue to be high rates of infection in large portions of the world.  High rates mean continued mutations and high risk of a vaccine resistant strain. We do not want to end up back at pre-vaccine state.

Edited by nocl
  • Like 3

For those that think that the pandemic is over I would just point out that daily new case counts in the rest of the world is hitting a new record around 800,000 per day.  Deaths, while not eclipsing the old peak is climbing quickly at around 12,000 per day.  This is with the US which used to be a major contributor to the world numbers, have dropped its numbers significantly.  Control in the US does not mean this is over.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I have a cruise for July 30, 2021 British Isles out of Amsterdam. I'm hoping Celebrity cancels this cruise as I'm not comfortable traveling to the Netherlands at this point in time.

My FPD is May 1st with a $900 NRD that was booked in Dec 2019.

Have gotten conflicting information that I may be charged a fee to change to a 2023 cruise date. Not trying to L/S but just another entirely different ship/date/itinerary and of course paying the prevailing rate. Not requesting an FCC but just move the deposit.

Very unhappy with Celebrity !!