The Daily for Wednesday Apr 21, 2021

richwmn

Today is National Tea Day, Administrative Professionals Day (Executive Admin', Secretary's Day), and Kindergarten Day

A vegetarian is a person who won't eat anything that can have children. - David Brenner

Meal suggestion for today - Butternut Squash and Spinach Lasagna

Drink of the Day - Salted Caramel Martini

Wine of the day - Chateau Ducru Beaucaillou - France

Port of the Day - Vik Norway

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Destination Long Beach eta 4/23

Corfu GR
Volendam

La Paz MX
Nieuw Amsterdam
Noordam
Westerdam Anchorage
Zuiderdam Anchorage

Limassol CY
Zaandam

Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

Torquay UK
Eurodam Anchorage
Oosterdam Anchorage

0421World.thumb.png.85c6e8c64f79f538e4c535281a454a92.png

• Like 30
  • Thanks 5

Thank you for the hump day Daily, Rich.  All 3 of today's days deserve a salute.  Love the quote.  Vik is another Norwegian port I have not visited.  I'll again wait to see what @dfish comes up with on the lasagna.  My alternative is Melange of Tropical Fruit, Chilled Sour Cherry Soup, Spaghetti Amartriciana, and Blueberry Crisp, my final dinner on MS Zaandam April 21, 2017:

https://aroundamericabitbybit.files.wordpress.com/2017/04/dishes21.jpg

Today's care list:

Kakalina

St. Vincent

myself facing cardiac surgery May 14

superoma in radiation

Welfare of furloughed crews

Superoma’s neighbors

Crruisin Terri’s Friend

RIP Barbara H

NextOne DH in hospital

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Happy Birthday Sailingdutchy

Sr Louis Sal on a Branson getaway

Dignity robe makers

Road trip and cruise booking for lindaler

World cruise booking for Quartzite Cruiser

Computer whizzes who help seniors get vax appointments

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 29
  • Thanks 4

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

I'm sitting here with my tea.🙂  A salute to administrative professionals.  I vaguely remember kindergarten.

Interesting quote.

I'll pass on the meal suggestion, not sure what we'll have, I hope DH has an idea.

I've been to Norway but not Vik, looking forward to seeing pictures.

The drink of the day sounds sweet, hope the wine is not.

Sending prayers for everyone on the care list.  A round of applause for those on the shoutout list.

Stay safe.

• Like 19

Thanks for the daily Rich and the care list Roy.  Perfect reasons to have a cup of tea!  Never been to Norway but would have next month, blasted COVID!  Happy Administrative Professional’s Day, although I’m old enough to remember Secretary’s Day when there were such professionals.

• Like 16

Thank you Rich and Roy.  Not a tea drinker,  hats off to Executive Secretaries, and yea for Kindergarten.  I taught K for the first 12 years of my career.  The meal sounds interesting. Love butternut squash but never thought of combining it with spinach.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and please continue to wear your mask.

Salted Caramel Martini:

Ingredients
2 oz Caramel Vodka
2 oz Rum Chata
Caramel Syrup
Coarse Salt
Instructions
Rim martini glass with caramel syrup and coarse salt (if desired).
Drizzle caramel sauce inside martini glass (if desired).
Shake caramel vodka and rumchata with ice to chill.
Pour vodka rumchata mixture into prepared glass.

Screen Shot 2021-04-21 at 7.12.22 AM.png

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, everyone.  

Well, we did get the snow that was predicted.  It isn't sticking to the roadways, but is on the lawn.  I'm glad I was the squeaky wheel and got my lawn service out yesterday.   They have skipped me entirely this season.  I called last week and was told they would be out, but they were behind because of rainy weather.  They never came, so yesterday I called again and was a little more forceful.  They were there within a couple hours.

No pool today as the gym is out of power and closed.  I'll have to make do on my own.

Not a tea drinker, but I salute the Administrative Professionals and recognize how important Kindergarten is.  

Today's meal sounds interesting.  It sure is a different take on lasagna.  And, the recipe comes from a different site today.

https://juliasalbum.com/butternut-squash-and-spinach-lasagna/

401 Calories, 18 g fat, 64 mg cholesterol, 549 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 23 g protein.

butternut squash and spinach lasagna.jpg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning All, thanks for the daily report.  I’ll pass on today’s meal suggestion, not a fan of squash and spinach.  My bags are packed as we will be heading down to Lancaster, PA Friday.  Visiting family over the weekend.  The birds have been busy nesting in the gourds and yesterday I heard the sweet sound of the babies chirping away.  Hope everyone has a good day today.

• Like 19

Good Morning from a finally sunny and warm day at the beach.

I am a tea drinker but not in the AM. My niece is a kindergarten teacher so I will send her a note. A salute to Administrative assistants. They keep  many people organized and on track. DH had a wonderful AA and she certainly kept him on task. They retired together. She made the comment that she was too old to train another one. LOL

Never been to Norway.  Someday!!

Off to water aerobics today. It is a good group, I have restricted it to 8 so we would have plenty of room. Works well.

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 20

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! I salute all the admin professionals, those behind the scene folk, who help make the magic happen. 

Thank you for our lists, Roy! Morning Dailyites & my Sisters! Today’s meal sounds interesting. The drink sounds sweet & rich - perhaps a sip. I do love salted caramel, so I might actually like this one. 

@StLouisCruisers, Sandi thank you for the tip about Iceland Air.  We could not make it work, because of their limited flights available right now. But our TA certainly earned his commission searching out all our options. I was exhausted just listening to him work through all the details. 

The sun is already shining here! It is lovely to sit out & drink my coffee with the sun out. Just a normal Wednesday here. I need to start clearing out my freezer drawers, so I will hunt for one of my frozen jalapeño & cheese stuffed chicken breasts. I will enjoy it for supper with a salad, I think. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Expect to pay a bit for this red blend from Bordeaux, but the ratings! The reviews are almost poetic. You might be able to find recent vintages for a bit less, but the 2016 vintage that has the amazing ratings starts at $194 in Europe. 

Winemaker Notes

Blend: 85% Cabernet Sauvignon, 15% Merlot
JS99 James Suckling: Super perfumed, attractive violets with a thread of fresh blueberries, cassis, blackberries and dark plums, delivering a very enticing impression. Beautiful ripeness here. The tannins are perfectly ripe and layers meld into each other, carrying deep, graceful and plush, velvety dark fruit long into the vibrant and seductive, chocolate-laced finish. Great potential. Try from 2024. 
WE98 Wine Enthusiast: This wine conveys density but its richness is sublimated by the complex structure and beautiful ripe fruit. Its power comes from the structure as much as the fruit, promising a wine with an immensely long life ahead of it. Drink from 2025. Cellar Selection
WS97 Wine Spectator:  Offers exotic, cashmere-textured, mocha-infused blackberry, cassis and plum puree flavors, with smoldering incense and warm fruitcake notes and a swath of plush yet serious grip to boot, showing ample depth and breath. As distinctive a Bordeaux as there is these days. Best from 2025 through 2040.
Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the Hump day Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Love Tea so I will happily celebrate it along with the Admin Professionals.  Mine was a gem back in the day 🙂 

Today is also National Canadian Film Day.  Tonight, on their site they are featuring the documentary - “You Are Here - A Come From Away Story”.  For anyone interested here is the link - https://canadianfilmday.ca/special-events/

And of course, not only is it @sailingdutchy’s birthday (Happy Birthday Tony 🎂 🥳) it is Queen Elizabeth’s 95th birthday.  I know she is still grieving but ... Best wishes to Her Majesty!

Not sure about that quote by Brenner.  I guess baby plants sprouting from seeds don’t count as children 😉 They do in my house 😉 

Love spinach and the meal suggestion.  Sadly, DH is not permitted spinach so we may opt for hamburgers on the bbq.

Haven’t been to today’s port.  Norway is not until next year (I hope 🤞).  Let’s all remember when we can finally see each other in our neighbourhoods or on a cruise..

A1657CA9-5DAC-48BA-970E-327F3E51209B.jpeg.4c3de39a73fbb1ce62145775978146fc.jpeg

Lots of us have been cleaning out our garages, basements and houses these days.  We’re working on that but I’m afraid that..

2BF892B5-C547-4C64-B61B-F63E1049658D.thumb.jpeg.c17d8597382e4c9c906bd0ae922ea678.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Hump day everyone!!!   Stay safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Good morning everyone.  I'm sorry I didn't make it back here to post again yesterday, I just read quickly and then worked on other things.  Since cruising Bay of Plenty seemed to branch out to nearby ports, I have an intriguing photo of a rock formation I saw on the beach that looks exactly like a kiwi bird, taken in Tauranga while on a walk around the base of Mount Maunganui.  I'll save it for when Tauranga comes up as Port of the Day.

Sorry I don't care for hot tea (or coffee either), so I stick to the iced variety, especially peach tea.  So I will have that today as usual.  Back in the day I was a member of the secretarial pool, now called Administrative Assistants.  A lot of responsibility there!  I have some good and not so good memories of Kindergarten.  Twin and I were in the same class, but we had a very strict teacher who perhaps should have retired before the two of us arrived in her class.  Our first grade through sixth grade teachers were very nice and made up for that old meanie we had in Kindergarten.  No offense to other Kindergarten teachers out there!😇

Happy Birthday @sailingdutchy

Prayers for those who have recently lost family, friends and neighbors.  

Today we have another obscure Norwegian Port of the Day.  I'm sure Vic is just as beautiful as the rest of the ports are so I hope one of us has actually seen it and photographed it.  I suppose I will just have to add it to my list of places to see.  🌎

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! I salute all the admin professionals, those behind the scene folk, who help make the magic happen. 

Thank you for our lists, Roy! Morning Dailyites & my Sisters! Today’s meal sounds interesting. The drink sounds sweet & rich - perhaps a sip. I do love salted caramel, so I might actually like this one. 

@StLouisCruisers, Sandi thank you for the tip about Iceland Air.  We could not make it work, because of their limited flights available right now. But our TA certainly earned his commission searching out all our options. I was exhausted just listening to him work through all the details. 

The sun is already shining here! It is lovely to sit out & drink my coffee with the sun out. Just a normal Wednesday here. I need to start clearing out my freezer drawers, so I will hunt for one of my frozen jalapeño & cheese stuffed chicken breasts. I will enjoy it with a salad, I think. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Expect to pay a bit for this red blend from Bordeaux, but the ratings! The reviews are almost poetic. You might be able to find recent vintages for a bit less, but the 2016 vintage that has the amazing ratings starts at $194 in Europe. 

Winemaker Notes

Blend: 85% Cabernet Sauvignon, 15% Merlot
JS99 James Suckling: Super perfumed, attractive violets with a thread of fresh blueberries, cassis, blackberries and dark plums, delivering a very enticing impression. Beautiful ripeness here. The tannins are perfectly ripe and layers meld into each other, carrying deep, graceful and plush, velvety dark fruit long into the vibrant and seductive, chocolate-laced finish. Great potential. Try from 2024. 
WE98 Wine Enthusiast: This wine conveys density but its richness is sublimated by the complex structure and beautiful ripe fruit. Its power comes from the structure as much as the fruit, promising a wine with an immensely long life ahead of it. Drink from 2025. Cellar Selection
WS97 Wine Spectator:  Offers exotic, cashmere-textured, mocha-infused blackberry, cassis and plum puree flavors, with smoldering incense and warm fruitcake notes and a swath of plush yet serious grip to boot, showing ample depth and breath. As distinctive a Bordeaux as there is these days. Best from 2025 through 2040.

I'm sorry things couldn't work out with Icelandair but you can keep it in mind for future visits.  I totally understand how the airlines have had to pare down their offerings during this pandemic, especially the smaller airlines.  You are lucky you have a TA who actually will book flights for you like that.  None of mine would!  I can't wait to hear of your visit to Iceland, when the time comes.  You're going to have a great time there.

• Like 14

12 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I'm sorry things couldn't work out with Icelandair but you can keep it in mind for future visits.  I totally understand how the airlines have had to pare down their offerings during this pandemic, especially the smaller airlines.  You are lucky you have a TA who actually will book flights for you like that.  None of mine would!  I can't wait to hear of your visit to Iceland, when the time comes.  You're going to have a great time there.

Thanks Sandi. Iceland air certainly had competitive pricing. So tucking it away for the future. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

Thank you Rich and Roy.  Not a tea drinker,  hats off to Executive Secretaries, and yea for Kindergarten.  I taught K for the first 12 years of my career.  The meal sounds interesting. Love butternut squash but never thought of combining it with spinach.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and please continue to wear your mask.

Salted Caramel Martini:

Ingredients
2 oz Caramel Vodka
2 oz Rum Chata
Caramel Syrup
Coarse Salt
Instructions
Rim martini glass with caramel syrup and coarse salt (if desired).
Drizzle caramel sauce inside martini glass (if desired).
Shake caramel vodka and rumchata with ice to chill.
Pour vodka rumchata mixture into prepared glass.

Screen Shot 2021-04-21 at 7.12.22 AM.png

Chicago had an amusement park named RIVERVIEW when I was growing up.  It closed when I was 28.  They had a rollercoaster called the BOBS.  Anytime I have had a Martini my head spins like it did when I was riding the BOBS,

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, kazu said:

Today is also National Canadian Film Day.  Tonight, on their site they are featuring the documentary - “You Are Here - A Come From Away Story”.  For anyone interested here is the link - https://canadianfilmday.ca/special-events/

I am hoping this will not be restricted to Canadian IP addresses as the film has been in the past.  At least I did get to view the trailer and recognized a number of people and voices.

Roy

• Like 7

Rich Thanks for the DAILY Fleet report.  I love Royal English Breakfast Tea. Roy thanks for the Care List and shout Out List. Rather chilly here in Naperville.   Thanks to all of you who post.    I hope everyone is healthy.  Have a good day and keep smiling.  ( Says he who rarely smiles.)   

• Like 13

11.30 Wednesday night here, and DH And I are just having our last cup of tea for the day. Mine is decaf green tea, very weak, with no milk or sugar. His is English Breakfast with milk. We get through a lot of tea each day! Before Covid, I was volunteering in the kindergarten at our local school. There were 22 lovely children, and I had just got to remember all their names when Covid lockdown started and volunteers were banned from the school for over a year. I really missed helping out, and the kindergarten teachers were amazing. We have finally got an appointment for our Covid vaccines, in three weeks time. Stay safe everyone, and thanks to everyone who contributes to the Daily. 

• Like 20