Absolutely Disgusted by Royal Caribbean

As one who has cruised on Royal many times in the past, I must say, never again. We booked two cruises for early next year with the assurance that Royal would be maintaining strict COVID protocols. The fact that they are now going to allow un-vaccinated passengers on board is a total breach of contract under which we booked the cruises. I understand, when one needs to cancel their cruise for most appropriate reasons within the proper time frame, they would be afforded a credit towards a future cruise. The fact that Royal has totally changed their safety protocols is a breach of contract, and we should be allowed a refund. Of course they have turned us down on that.

Forget about the money we are going to lose, but allowing non-vaccinated passengers on a cruise is downright irresponsible. My wife and I are fully vaccinated, but those who are not could be carrying virus and pass it on to others who are not vaccinated. The more people who are not vaccinated and catching COVID, the greater the growth of variants. 

Unvaccinated passengers could bring the virus to the ports we visit, many of which are already impoverished with poor health facilities.

Cruises could be cut short or stranded at sea if a COVID outbreak occurs on a ship. We saw the nightmare of COVID on cruise ships in the early stages of the pandemic. Do you want to risk more nightmares on the seas. And if that happens, there might end up being a longer and more severe shut down of the cruise industry.

What Royal Caribbean has done is disgusting and irresponsible.

Edited by alangee
  • Like 73
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, A&L_Ont said:

How far out is your sail date? We can’t travel from Canada now as it stands but hopefully much will change for the positive before now and your cruise date. 

agree.  My perception has been these restrictions (even NCL and Celebrity fully vaccinated only) are short term and would disappear when the CSO no longer applies. Or in the case of Alaska - for the time period covering the new legislation to sail 

I could be wrong !

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, alangee said:

As one who has cruised on Royal many times in the past, I must say, never again. We booked two cruises for early next year with the assurance that Royal would be maintaining strict COVID protocols. The fact that they are now going to allow un-vaccinated passengers on board is a total breach of contract under which we booked the cruises. I understand, when one needs to cancel their cruise for most appropriate reasons within the proper time frame, they would be afforded a credit towards a future cruise. The fact that Royal has totally changed their safety protocols is a breach of contract, and we should be allowed a refund. Of course they have turned us down on that.

Forget about the money we are going to lose, but allowing non-vaccinated passengers on a cruise is downright irresponsible. My wife and I are fully vaccinated, but those who are not could be carrying virus and pass it on to others who are not vaccinated. The more people who are not vaccinated and catching COVID, the greater the growth of variants. 

Unvaccinated passengers could bring the virus to the ports we visit, many of which are already impoverished with poor health facilities.

Cruises could be cut short or stranded at sea if a COVID outbreak occurs on a ship. We saw the nightmare of COVID on cruise ships in the early stages of the pandemic. Do you want to risk more nightmares on the seas. And if that happens, there might end up being a longer and more severe shut down of the cruise industry.

THANK YOU!!!  Well said. And we agree 100%.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, BSocial said:

agree.  My perception has been these restrictions (even NCL and Celebrity fully vaccinated only) are short term and would disappear when the CSO no longer applies. Or in the case of Alaska - for the time period covering the new legislation to sail 

I could be wrong !

It’s all just wait and see as this point. Soon there should be less waiting and more seeing with Adventure shortly.  Cruises from Nassau won’t be the same, as from the States, but it is a start. Even day with a healthy ship is a better day.

• Like 4

We are very disgusted with Royal Caribbean also.  We have 3 cabins booked out of Galveston and will be cancelling.  Had been looking forward to cruising on a ship with vaccinated passengers.  If passengers can't bother to get vaccinated, I can't see them following other health rules or regulations to keep the ship healthy.  

• Like 35
  • Haha 1

We are next booked for an Anthem cruise in November (but would join another ship sooner, if possible.)  We, close friends and family, are all vaccinated.  I feel safe going to restaurants and stores and would feel safe on a ship.  I think Royal should state to unvaccinated folks that if they test positive while sailing (which could be a false positive) that they and their traveling companions will be quarantined to their cabins.  Make sure that they know their trip could be greatly affected.  Thoughts?

My belief is that if you choose to not get vaccinated—fine.  But please don’t put others at risk because of what you choose.  Stay home as much as possible until we know for sure that Covid is as good as gone.  Katherine 

• Like 15

56 minutes ago, alangee said:

I absolutely agree.  We were excited to book a cruise for January, assuming Royal would require vaccinations.   We will most likely cancel.

• Like 4

If you are vaccinated you dont have any worries. Can we please get by this. I work in health care as a career. Get your information from credible sources. What I stated is fact. Not 1 documented case of a person who is vaccinated dying from covid. Please, dont listen to the tabloid news. Search out true science.You cant live your life in fear. Far greater risks in life that you take daily without thinking about it.

Edited by rtazz17
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Not happy about it, but lets get real. We walk around unvaccinated people all the dang time. Unless you lock yourselves in your home. The crew has been out of work for over a year. Real world problems!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, rtazz17 said:

If you are vaccinated you dont have any worries. Can we please get by this. 

I am vaccinated BUT the WORRY is being stuck at sea because of an outbreak in the ship's unvaccinated population !!!!!!!

• Like 46
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, rtazz17 said:

If you are vaccinated you dont have any worries. Can we please get by this. I work in health care as a career. Get your information from credible sources. What I stated is fact. Not 1 documented case of a person who is vaccinated dying from covid. Please, dont listen to the tabloid news. Search out true science.You cant live your life in fear. Far greater risks in life that you take daily without thinking about it.

I am vaccinated and not the least bit afraid of getting sick.  I am afraid that an outbreak would negatively affect my cruising experience due to a shortened cruise, mandatory masking, closed venues, etc.

• Like 55
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, alangee said:

I also agree with 1000%. We are long time Royal Caribbean cruisers and love their line but, this swift about face in not requiring Covid vaccinations is a complete betrayal of the passengers they supposedly make it a "top priority to protect". 

We understand RCCL is a family line but, this in an unprecedented time and absolute safety is paramount to begin cruising in America again. If it takes three or so months till children 12 and under can be safely vaccinated then so be it. Let families with smaller kids travel once they are safely vaccinated. 

If Governor DeSantis' vaccination law makes it too difficult to work with find an alternative or how about being bold like NCL's Frank Del Rio and refuse to port at all. Royal Caribbean has always been such a trail blazing, intuitive and innovative cruise line now is truly the time when they need to put those talents to work. 

There are plenty of ports nearby in New York, New Jersey, Baltimore, Boston that can easily be used. It has been such a rollercoaster ride wondering, hoping, that cruising would return and when it finally does we are hit with this completely irrational, unfair and irresponsible decision. 

I hope people will voice their displeasure by contacting Royal Caribbean, emailing them. Of course the one place they'll feel it the most is at the cash register. Hopefully, this twisted ship will get righted again and we can all set sail safely soon. 

Jonathan

• Like 18
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, handbellplayer said:

I am vaccinated and not the least bit afraid of getting sick.  I am afraid that an outbreak would negatively affect my cruising experience due to a shortened cruise, mandatory masking, closed venues, etc.

They had almost 18 months to come up with new policies… there is a lot more known about Covid than there was in the beginning.  I seriously doubt they will quarantine a whole ship and keep them stuck at sea again.  They have to make money and its not profitable to create another nightmare sailing experience.  Find out what their plans are for these types of worst case scenarios and then decide how it would impact you. These initial cruises are not going to be 100% perfect and anyone not having patience or flexibility should probably stay home.

Edited by ccndfw
  • Like 8

I guess we should ban all kids.  Disney may as well throw in the towel now.   

if you don’t like the rules don’t go.  RC and carnival have lots of kids during the summer. Even if everyone was vaccinated, I know of at least two people personally who got sick with Covid a month after their last shot.  It can happen. Luckily if you are going to the Caribbean you at least have sunlight on your side. It kills the virus.  There are other lines that cater more  to people without kids.  Go that route as they are requiring vaccines and will be cruising this summer as well.   Give RC a break. They are in a no win situation that is not of their creating. 

All this will blow over and things will return to normal at some point. We are waiting until that day to cruise.  I don’t want to have issues at the port or wear a mask at the pool. So I’m waiting. It’s okay. Although it is a disappointment as we were so looking forward to the Symphony this summer we will live. First world problems.  

I hope you have a wonderful vacation with or without cruising. I know we will. 

• Like 7

The point is unvaccinated passengers can get sick and spread the virus to each other. We know from experience that testing before boarding means nothing after the ship has sailed. 
I am vaccinated but I will be canceling two cruises bc of this change in policy. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Let's get real here.  They are only doing this for Florida and Texas based cruises. Why?  Because at this point they can't sail otherwise. Until those laws are challenged and overturned then they have no choice.

All ports in other states are still using the Vaccinated 95% rule.

If there is anyone to be disgusted with then it's the Governors of FL and TX.

Happy Sailing!

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, csnarpy said:

Let's get real here.  They are only doing this for Florida and Texas based cruises. Why?  Because at this point they can't sail otherwise. Until those laws are challenged and overturned then they have no choice.

Happy Sailing!

Have you seen this in a release anywhere? I have not been able to find a definitive stance stating this by RCCL. I have 2 ports within driving distance and would feel much better about cruising if this is the case 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, csnarpy said:

Happy Sailing!

RC never said any such thing.  They merely said that Seattle and Bahamas cruises need to be fully vaccinated. 

• Like 2