The Daily for Tuesday Jun 29, 2021

richwmn

4 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

here’s what our Sochi looks like today

I'm trusting that Sochi doesn't go outdoors, since sunscreen would be useless on a cat (would be licked off). It used to be common to paint the ears of white, short-haired cats in the summer because hair on a cat's ears is too thin and short to protect much against sun.

My drink of the day is Knapp Limoncello, made at a winery in this region. Yesterday I had an online meeting that required a significant amount of gin and tonic.

• Like 15
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, superoma said:

It was founded to address some of the common reasons that many children in the world can’t play in the mud.

There is a Canadian charity called Right to Play that is concerned with children's access to opportunities to play, but I don't think that it particularly has mud in mind....

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

@StLouisCruisershere’s what our Sochi looks like today.  In speaking with the vet this morning (who called to check on her), she said she estimates they shaved 8 oz of hair off her.  She looks kind of funny now, but Ragdoll hair grows quickly, so in a month she’ll be looking fine.  It makes such a difference to her whole demeanour after a haircut;  she’s running all over the house, jumping into the bathtub for a drink, etc. I think she enjoys the feeling of the air on her skin.  
5B9E8C5D-117C-4013-A2FD-C4037E3BFBC8.thumb.jpeg.523d91667bb8f35f91421093d3d1dfb4.jpeg

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Aww!  She looks amazing!  I'm happy the free feeling gives her such pleasure.

• Like 11

16 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Good morning. Thanks for the Daily.

Interesting days. I love cameras and have several (film and digital). I used to have a setup to develop and print film (color and B&W). Yay that we can hug again (some people). Not sure about a day for mud, lol.

Funny quote.

I like the meal and wine (but too much $$). I'm using the slow cooker today to make chicken taco chili.

I haven't been to today's port. Appreciate pictures from those who have.

Another day with temps in the 90's. I'm staying inside. My 115 year old house didn't have AC when I bought it; I remember sweating like mad when I came to look at it 25 years ago. I have hot water heat. I had AC put in a few years after buying it (flexible ductwork so as not to disturb the architecture). I had to have 2 systems due to the size of the house; one for 1st floor, and a bigger system for the 2nd and 3rd floors.

@StLouisCruisers I'm glad you found your sunglasses. Lovely photo of DGS and Great Mimi. Great service from the tire repair place!

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe everyone.

I'm just happy I have some good news to report!  Too many downer days...

A dual system AC system is always the best.  When you have a house with several stories and the AC has only one thermostat and AC unit, you can't keep all the floors comfortable.  Same with heating.  If you finish your basement and don't put a heating unit and thermostat down there, you will freeze in the winter months.  I know this from past experience at my homes and my children's homes.  

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

@ger_77,thanks  for  the  Sochi picture. She  looks  great  and  I  am  sure  less  fur  is a  wonderful  feeling.

@StLouisCruisers., I  am  so  glad  the  tire  situation  was  worked  on  quickly  and  that  your  DS  was  able to  pull  over  in  time. Also, the  DGS  picture  was  so  sweet!

We  just  got  big  news  here. My DSIL  is  now  a Great  Grandma  and  my  niece  is  a  Grandma. The  baby  was  born  to  her  son  and  wife  7  weeks  early and  required an  air lift to  Boston  from  Fall  River,MA. Miss  Camilla is  in  the  NICU and  presently  requires  breathing  assistance  and  a  g tube  for  feeding. We  are  hopeful  that  she  will  progress  with  time  and  not  suffer  complications. This  would  have  been  my  brothers'  first  great  grandchild  but  he  passed  away  12  years  ago. Any prayers  for  mother ,father   and  child  would  be  appreciated. Thanks.

Terry

• Like 27
  • Thanks 3

Good morning all!

I'm celebrating cooler temperatures this morning.  Only 68 at 7:00 this morning.  Heading for mid-80's this afternoon, so about 20 degrees cooler than yesterday and cooler in the days ahead.  I'll take it!  Our house got to 94 degrees yesterday and the day before, now it's down to 83.  Never thought I'd say this, but 83 in the house feels good!

Will celebrate cameras and hugs, no thanks to the mud.  Our VOV didn't have this port, so have never been there.  Stuffed peppers sound good, but I'm still not going to heat up the oven today.  Last night we tried getting take-out and several restaurants nearby were closed due to the heat.  We ended up getting some nice cold salads from the grocery store deli. That and wine made a nice meal.

We're feeling excited about some travel plans we have for November and December.  IF all goes well our cruises will happen (Med in Sept-Oct and Caribbean in November-December) but to add to the excitement, we have plans to visit a dear friend and relatives in NC, then we, DD, DSIL and DGS's will fly to CA and have an early Christmas with our DS and DDIL.  It will have been 2 years since we've seen our California kids.  🙂  It means another visit to Disneyland (DDIL is an Imagineer so we get in free!) so the grandsons are happy about that!

• Like 22

11 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

@ger_77,thanks  for  the  Sochi picture. She  looks  great  and  I  am  sure  less  fur  is a  wonderful  feeling.

@StLouisCruisers., I  am  so  glad  the  tire  situation  was  worked  on  quickly  and  that  your  DS  was  able to  pull  over  in  time. Also, the  DGS  picture  was  so  sweet!

We  just  got  big  news  here. My DSIL  is  now  a Great  Grandma  and  my  niece  is  a  Grandma. The  baby  was  born  to  her  son  and  wife  7  weeks  early and  required an  air lift to  Boston  from  Fall  River,MA. Miss  Camilla is  in  the  NICU and  presently  requires  breathing  assistance  and  a  g tube  for  feeding. We  are  hopeful  that  she  will  progress  with  time  and  not  suffer  complications. This  would  have  been  my  brothers'  first  great  grandchild  but  he  passed  away  12  years  ago. Any prayers  for  mother ,father   and  child  would  be  appreciated. Thanks.

Terry

A new baby is wonderful news!  We will be praying for that little angel to quickly progress and get home with her parents soon.  😇

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you to the Tuesday Daily, Rich.  Hugs are just starting to come back.  Lots of camera fans here but not sure why we would  want to celebrate mud.  Kind of an ironic quote by Wilde.  I've been to a few ports in Iceland but not Seydisfjordur.  My alternate menu suggestion is a bit less healthy than the peppers, Indonesian Tea Goodies as enjoyed on MS Prinsendam June 2, 2015.

https://serenitytokiel.files.wordpress.com/2015/06/indonesian1.jpg

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Garlictown difficutl recovery from arm surgery
Western wildfires
Pacific Northwest/BC blowtorch
JazzyV awaiting eye surgery
wandb sister-finished with aggressive chemo and awaiting cat scan results
Awaiting results of bennybear DSIL surgery for aggressive cancer
Surfside, Florida

From the rotation:
mamaofami DH Sam in rehab until about 7/4
StLouisSal’s weakness and fall injuries

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Front Line Health Care Workers

Jabs for HAL crew at Los Angeles, San Diego and Fort Lauderdale

Lasyv and son in Sedonia for a week

St. Pete Cruiser on a road trip

Family visiting highland cruiser

Good Cat Scan result for Sam

Mr Boston visiting mom in Michigan

cunnorl’s niece visiting

and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thanks Roy!  Her surgery went well,  wishing her a good recovery and good results.   
I would also love to have the Indonesian tea goodies.    

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone and Happy Tuesday. Thank you for the Daily Rich and thank you for your lists Roy. 

Many thanks to @zigdilcru , @Ichiban Nekko, and @TiogaCruiser for replies about San Francisco yesterday.  

I was really bummed last night after finding out that Monterey has been removed from our itinerary. I had already booked a winery tour there. 😞 I had specifically chosen it because it had Monterey, Santa Barbara, and San Francisco.  They are subbing Catalina and more time in San Francisco.  I haven’t discussed it with Craig yet, he gets home in a few hours from his car trip to visit his siblings.  I’ll hug him when he arrives. 

I like taking pictures but I’m not really good. Looking back at the pictures I’ve posted from The Ports of the Day I’ve realized that Craig takes better pictures than I do so I’m glad he now has a better iPhone with a better camera. 

@smitty34877 Praying for Camilla. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Love hugs!  Had the best one from my DGD,   She didn’t want to let go! 
DH will certainly celebrate camera day,  I bought him a new lens and now the pro body to go with it for his birthday tomorrow! 

Not sure about the mud, lol! 

67A9283A-7050-4747-86A0-6E291BFEBD4C.jpeg

F07B1979-8D7E-4D8D-A33C-6B96A20ADFE7.jpeg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, smitty34877 said:

Terry

Congratulations and prayers! 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

We are back to more normal and comfortable weather here.  Hearing the tire stories and dealing with merchants while traveling reminds me of when we were driving through Wyoming in the '90s with our small Winnebago motorhome.  It was a Class C, with the bed over the cab and while driving at about 60 mph into a fierce headwind the window up there blew out and shattered.  We drove into Casper and were directed to a glass shop at about 5 PM.  It was a one-person shop and the man said he could replace the glass with plexiglass to get us home.  (We were driving from Iowa back to Washington).  About an hour later he called his wife to tell her he would be a little late for dinner.  He finally finished, did a great job and cleaned up all the broken glass.  He gave me the invoice and I handed it to my wife and asked her if she had enough cash to pay it.  She said she wasn't sure if she had $300.  I said "Look closer."  The total bill was $30.  We paid him and gave him some of the food we were taking home from the relatives in Iowa.

• Like 27
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

We are back to more normal and comfortable weather here.  Hearing the tire stories and dealing with merchants while traveling reminds me of when we were driving through Wyoming in the '90s with our small Winnebago motorhome.  It was a Class C, with the bed over the cab and while driving at about 60 mph into a fierce headwind the window up there blew out and shattered.  We drove into Casper and were directed to a glass shop at about 5 PM.  It was a one-person shop and the man said he could replace the glass with plexiglass to get us home.  (We were driving from Iowa back to Washington).  About an hour later he called his wife to tell her he would be a little late for dinner.  He finally finished, did a great job and cleaned up all the broken glass.  He gave me the invoice and I handed it to my wife and asked her if she had enough cash to pay it.  She said she wasn't sure if she had $300.  I said "Look closer."  The total bill was $30.  We paid him and gave him some of the food we were taking home from the relatives in Iowa.

That's a great story!  There are some fine people in what some call "fly-over country".  Salt of the earth folks who will do all they can to help you out.👍

• Like 18

1 hour ago, smitty34877 said:

Terry

Sending our prayers your way.

Graham.

• Like 10

Good (HOT) afternoon from New York!

It's been in the low 90s here, and very humid so it's quite uncomfortable. I'm definitely not a summer person, much prefer winter...you can always put more clothes on when it's cold, but there's only so much you can take off in the heat!!  Glad to hear from some of our PNW folks that the temperatures are starting to drop for them! 

Haven't been to today's port (yet) - it's on our cruise next August, so I'm enjoying the pictures.  This has become a wonderful place to see new ports to add to our bucket list - thanks to all!

@smitty34877adding my prayers for Camilla and her parents...hoping things will quickly improve for her!

Stay cool, stay safe so we can all enjoy our cruises soon!

Laura

• Like 18

2 hours ago, ger_77 said:

@StLouisCruisershere’s what our Sochi looks like today.  In speaking with the vet this morning (who called to check on her), she said she estimates they shaved 8 oz of hair off her.  She looks kind of funny now, but Ragdoll hair grows quickly, so in a month she’ll be looking fine.  It makes such a difference to her whole demeanour after a haircut;  she’s running all over the house, jumping into the bathtub for a drink, etc. I think she enjoys the feeling of the air on her skin.  
5B9E8C5D-117C-4013-A2FD-C4037E3BFBC8.thumb.jpeg.523d91667bb8f35f91421093d3d1dfb4.jpeg

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Aww.  That’s definitely a lion or a poodle cut 😂 

She looks like she could be a lion in that pic 😉 

• Like 14

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

Thanks Roy!  Her surgery went well,  wishing her a good recovery and good results.   
I would also love to have the Indonesian tea goodies.    

Good to hear!  We are all praying for a quick recovery and good results 🙏🏻 

• Like 12

2 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Terry

Prayers are winging the way for mother, father, you and Camilla 🙏🏻 

Medical science has come a long way, thankfully.  I was born 2 months premature and my parents were told I wouldn’t live.  And here I am.  I am so hoping the same is true for little Camilla 🙏🏻 

Absolutely love her name, too 👍 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to all for the Daily.

As others have mentioned, it is cooling off a bit here in the PNW.  It was 64 when I went for my walk this am.  Nice walk and I also picked more blueberries.  The landscape manager for the parks dept planted lots of blueberries along one of the parking lots and he said to pick them when we saw them.  They are tasty.  Only getting to 93 today, much better than the 115 we had to go out in yesterday for a medical test.

We have been to today's port in August 2016.  DH chose just to walk around the port, particularly enjoying his visit with the young ladies at the grocery store.  A friend and I decided to take a hike up the river to see the falls.  The tourist information gent said it was a easy round trip walk of several miles and that we could cross the river and walk back along the road.  Off we went.  About a mile in we came across a little bridge to cross the river and walk back to town but we hadn't yet reached the falls so we didn't think anything of it.  We kept going on a fairly good trail and were enjoying several different falls and then started looking for the way across the river.  After climbing quite a ways, we finally decided that there wasn't another way to cross the river and that we would have to hike back the way we had come.  It turned out the little bridge we had long since past was the way over the river.  It was a beautiful hike and we earned our very expensive beers when we got back to town.

Prayers to all those on the care list and those who need them.  Best wishes to all.

Sailing into the fjord.DSCN1559.thumb.JPG.ef9b59b7934d113569c3a8cd10aef93f.JPG

DSCN1594.thumb.JPG.478ffdd195e75d1c66702607a91edbe4.JPG

DSCN1614.thumb.JPG.a9a61ac9ec0d4cc4d5aa5b9aa51a7c55.JPG

DH visiting a local site

DSCN1701.thumb.JPG.26d917e9d46987b8313941b3fb8e222a.JPG

Starting our hike

DSC03149.thumb.JPG.d61b67c4df0646248c273c7e475bf6d3.JPG

A view of the local golf course

DSC03154.thumb.JPG.ad5d05dca2b9072fc282a0464500d0d1.JPG

Some nice waterfalls

DSC03191.thumb.JPG.18775104e7b18294b0ea92ff004180cd.JPGDSC03215.thumb.JPG.6e0553e1f427e539dee47d078d4a19cd.JPG

The beer sign

DSCN1705.thumb.JPG.a074c827ff30dc8a94f9003b2e7c7d22.JPG

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kochleffel said:

I'm trusting that Sochi doesn't go outdoors, since sunscreen would be useless on a cat (would be licked off). It used to be common to paint the ears of white, short-haired cats in the summer because hair on a cat's ears is too thin and short to protect much against sun.

Sochi only goes out on our deck and into the catio that DH built for her; both are safe places for her.  Our city has a cat bylaw that means your cats can not roam freely as they once did.  It makes sense, as so many were being hit by cars, some were fond of digging in neighbouring flower beds, and they were decimating the songbird population as well.  Sochi is a rescue who was found wandering in the countryside near the city, so she knows how terrible the big world can be - she seems quite happy to stay in the house or on the deck without running out.  We often sit in the front entrance to our home and read the newspaper with our coffee in the morning, leaving the door open.  Sochi will sit in the doorway, and might venture onto the top step, but that's all.

We have a baby to celebrate here - that's wonderful!  Best wishes to Camilla and her family for a quick passage of time in the NICU so she can be home where she belongs.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 21

5 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Thanks Lenda!  

Replacing all that elastic is a very time consuming and tedious job.  It's great that you had the skill to do it and didn't just say skip it and donate anyway.  The clothes would have been useless with that old elastic in them.  

Thanks, Sandi.  The skill part is questionable, but they're finished except a couple that I knew I couldn't do, especially after an iffy job on one.  The thrift store is run by a local church, and I'm hoping 🤞 one of the volunteers will  have pity tackle them.

Lenda

• Like 11

DH loved his cameras (and lenses), but I would get equally lovely pictures with my trusty point & shoot! Now I rely on my phone.

I will believe the pandemic is truly over when we start sharing the peace in church again -- always lots of hugs involved!

Prayers for Camilla!

Stay well, everyone!

Edi

Edited by NextOne
  • Like 16