The Daily for Sunday Jul 18, 2021

richwmn

30 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

I know!  Bouchon has the best bread.  Vanessa, @JazzyVis quite the bread person, maybe she knows how to cut it.

That bread is French Pain D'Epi (wheat stalk bread). It's a baguette that instead of being slashed before baking is cut with scissors on top and the cut parts are alternately moved to different sides. The deeper cuts create more surface area, and the bread becomes a lot crustier. It is a great tear-and-share loaf as you can pick it apart piece by piece. There are many videos that show how to do the cuts.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, atexsix said:

I don't know if I can handle the rock part, but I have the spray, will wait until it's completely dark. 

Sigh, every time I get one issue solved, something else presents itself.

A small stone will do, just something to cover the hole. Failing that, the old spray and run technique has served many a person well.

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

That bread is French Pain D'Epi (wheat stalk bread). It's a baguette that instead of being slashed before baking is cut with scissors on top and the cut parts are alternately moved to different sides. The deeper cuts create more surface area, and the bread becomes a lot crustier. It is a great tear-and-share loaf as you can pick it apart piece by piece. There are many videos that show how to do the cuts.

Thank you, Vanessa! Sharon was right - you really are an expert in all things bread. 
It certainly does look like a wheat stalk, doesn’t it?

• Like 8

Made me look too. I joined in November 2006.When I joined, I had no idea how often I would post.Ami is my first grandson and he calls me Mama. 

We found a wasp nest the other day. They made a hole in the plastic surrounding our glass door to the patio. We waited till they were out of the nest and sprayed. I haven’t seen them around anymore, but I bet they made a nest somewhere else.

• Like 13

Greetings; it has been a while since I have beed around here. 🙂

Ice cream: yeah! Caviar: meh. Bloody Mary: nay.

I could go for tacos now, but beer would go better that the red wine. Maybe an Alaskan Icy Bay IPA?

Speaking of Alaska: we bit the bullet this week and booked the August 14th cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam and would be interested in hearing how the test cruise and next week's cruise goes.

Made me look: 16 years, 3 months and 18 days.

Edited by Boytjie
  • Like 20

1 hour ago, TiogaCruiser said:

We’re going to celebrate Ice Cream Day tonight with some passion fruit gelato. This batch came out quite tasty: it’s got a full cup of PF pulp/ juice and 1/4 limoncello.😉 Adding a few pieces of kiwi and some fresh blueberries to garnish. 

Yum!   I am on my way!

• Like 10

@atexsix, we wait until dark to spray the hole, and then throw an old towel over it.  The towel takes less precision to throw than a rock, and it gives you time to get a head start running.

My new, easy, homemade ice cream (in the machine I heard about from @TiogaCruiser) is mint chocolate chip.  I'm sure my recipe cheats compared to yours, because it uses sweetened condensed milk and no eggs so it doesn't involve cooking, but the chocolate is melted bittersweet drizzled in as the ice cream is churning, so it is sort of like stracciatella with thin shavings of chocolate.  I add chopped up pieces of mint-Milano cookies at the end.  It is really easy to make, especially with that machine.

• Like 18

OK, everyone made me look, too.

I read CC for a number of years but didn’t join until I decided I wanted to try joining a roll call.  Coming on to 12.5 years in a couple of days.

Just a spring chicken compared to some of you 😉 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Today seems to be the day for having issues with flying things - it appears there are honey bees trying to create something under our deck.  DH has seen them coming and going the past few days . . . what to do?  We certainly don't want to kill them!   I read that they don't like the smell of cinnamon so we made a run to the dollar store and got a whole bunch of pkgs and he geared up and scattered a bunch of it under the deck but it doesn't seem to be doing anything.    Help?

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 9

48 minutes ago, Boytjie said:

Greetings; it has been a while since I have beed around here. 🙂

Ice cream: yeah! Caviar: meh. Bloody Mary: nay.

I could go for tacos now, but beer would go better that the red wine. Maybe an Alaskan Icy Bay IPA?

Speaking of Alaska: we bit the bullet this week and booked the August 14th cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam and would be interested in hearing how the test cruise and next week's cruise goes.

Made me look: 16 years, 3 months and 18 days.

Welcome -- nice to see your post here!

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Today seems to be the day for having issues with flying things - it appears there are honey bees trying to create something under our deck.  DH has seen them coming and going the past few days . . . what to do?  We certainly don't want to kill them!   I read that they don't like the smell of cinnamon so we made a run to the dollar store and got a whole bunch of pkgs and he geared up and scattered a bunch of it under the deck but it doesn't seem to be doing anything.    Help?

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Hey Gerry - see if this link helps.  They do mention cinnamon but I would be tempted to try one of the alternatives like smoke.  None of these will harm the bees.

https://www.classicinsulation.com/5-methods-of-bee-removal-without-killing-them/

Do you have any bee keepers in the area?  We have some that do honey in their home and they will happily remove a hive to increase their stock and take good care of the bees.  

• Like 10

I also had to check -- Nov. 30, 2005. Time flies when you're having fun!

Caviar is ok, but I'd rather have escargot! Love ice cream, but Bloody Marys not so much (although I have the T-shirt from BoraBora); I'd like to try a Caesar.

Do helmet dives count? We did them in St. Martin's and in Bermuda. Otherwise, I love surface snorkeling. 

A nice cool day here after storms rolled through last night. An appreciated respite!

• Like 13

5 hours ago, durangoscots said:

Got one piece of bad news this morning. When walking the Bandit at about 6, I ran into the Sister of our Shelter Director. He has been on leave for the past week - supposedly going fishing. She told me he was admitted to ICU last night and is on dialysis. He is diabetic and about a year ago he lost the lower portion of one leg. He has been looking bad (read awful) the last few weeks and we have been urging him to go to hospital.... but there is only so much you can do. We are all very worried. He is a wonderful person and a very good Animal shelter director.... He was supposed to come back to work tomorrow but obviously that will not happen. We hope to hear more this afternoon.

This is really scary.  I almost hesitate to ask this but does he have a good deputy?  That would actually be a benefit to him, you, and the animals.

Roy

• Like 10

49 minutes ago, kazu said:

Hey Gerry - see if this link helps.  They do mention cinnamon but I would be tempted to try one of the alternatives like smoke.  None of these will harm the bees.

https://www.classicinsulation.com/5-methods-of-bee-removal-without-killing-them/

Do you have any bee keepers in the area?  We have some that do honey in their home and they will happily remove a hive to increase their stock and take good care of the bees.  

Thank you!  I've got a large bottle of peppermint oil that I'm going to mix with distilled water and will have DH go under and give it a good spray.  Will have to see how that works.  I'm hesitant to do the smoke thing, as there is lumber under the deck that I'm afraid of starting on fire.  If the peppermint doesn't do much, I will look into getting a beekeeper over to see what can be done, as we've got our little DGS's coming in a few weeks and I certainly wouldn't want them to be stung.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

I'm all for ice cream day! Never had caviar (and probably never will). I've never been diving either, except in a pool as a kid.

Interesting quote.

I like the meal. Bloody Mary is just ok for me. I do like the wine.

I haven't been to today's port. 

I'm late today. I'm trying to get stuff done before Tuesday. Laundry is done. I sealed the backsplash tile grout. Then sanitized all the counters and moved stuff back in. I need to mow the grass today or tomorrow. It's quite humid today. I will wait until the sun is lower, as it bothers my eyes even with sunglasses. I am trying very hard to not aggravate my eye in any way. Tomorrow will be a run to the pharmacy and grocery store. And I must remember to put my pre-op drops in my eye tomorrow!

@summer slope Sorry you have more lesions. I never had itching, put the stabbing pain was bad.

@StLouisCruisers Happy CC Anniversary last month, lol!

@atexsix I hope your back is improving

@durangoscots Prayers for your Shelter Director. Diabetes is a disease one needs to stay on top of.

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe everyone. Wear your mask if needed. Stay cool!

@JazzyV It's a lot better, thanks, it's still painful, but at least I've been able to get up and move around whereas yesterday I couldn't get out of bed.

@kazu @Horizon chaser 1957 @TheKingD fortunately we discovered it's not a nest, just a swarm around the hummingbird feeder that never would have arrived if I had been refilling it my way over Dear Dad's.  When I did it I took it inside and cleaned it with HOT water and his way was doing it outside where it would spill with no way to clean it up.  This morning I was in a hurry and I remember there was one bee nearby and that's all it took, she must have gone back to her nest and informed all her sisters.  

@TiogaCruiser not very good, but I'm sure I could manage at least a short sprint if I had a swarm of yellow jackets after me. 

@mamaofami @ger_77 I made up a vinegar/citrus concoction I'm going to spray tonight just in case any were shopping for real estate around our deck.  It might take a few sprays, but eventually they will move on.  I second @kazu on the beekeeper idea, they will collect them, treat them for any diseases or parasites, and move them to a hive.  I'm so glad I didn't have to kill any either, even yellow jackets, as much as they are hated, do good things for the environment, and so I wouldn't go that route unless it was a major safety risk.  

Edited by atexsix
  • Like 13

14 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Thank you!  I've got a large bottle of peppermint oil that I'm going to mix with distilled water and will have DH go under and give it a good spray.  Will have to see how that works.  I'm hesitant to do the smoke thing, as there is lumber under the deck that I'm afraid of starting on fire.  If the peppermint doesn't do much, I will look into getting a beekeeper over to see what can be done, as we've got our little DGS's coming in a few weeks and I certainly wouldn't want them to be stung.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Hope it works.  I think there is a way to do the smoke without risking fire but I don’t blame you for being cautious.

If their life gets difficult enough, they should move.

A beekeeper will probably happily remove them for you and take them.  At least my beekeeper friend / dog groomer did.  She took a hive away from a property happily.  She does honey and beeswax stuff.  Very talented lady along with being a great groomer 😉 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, ger_77 said:

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

I read they don't like Baby Powder, that's what I'm going to sprinkle in a couple places if the vinegar/lemon doesn't work.

• Like 5