Your Honest Opinion of Lawn Club and Rooftop Garden Grill

txtechmk

I always suggest Murano for folks only doing one restaurant on their cruise. Hubby and I treated ourselves once to the  5 night dine pkg and felt like royalty the entire time. ( we ate in the dinning room on the two formal night menus) This was when we did the Lawn club.

food was good , just not fancy like Munaro so a whole different experience.

that particular night ship was in port in San Juan, and the orchestra came and did a music show on the lawn. So it was super ! Lights from the island and the music while we dined . Awesome.

We've eaten in the Lawn Club twice on Reflection and it was ok.  Both times we ate after 8:30 and the service was slow.   Lots of staff were eating there both times.    Despite the wind barriers it still is very windy.   We won't likely eat there again - the food is pretty ordinary.   We really wanted to like it - we ate every night in the specialty restaurants on that cruise and it was by far our least favorite one.  

Best was the pizza, but we only ate a piece as we were trying to 'save' our appetite for the main course.  

We love love Tuscan Grill and have eaten many meals there on many ships.  We also love Murano.   Not interested in Petite Chef.  We liked Silk Harvest and enjoyed Qsine when we could go with a group.  

Pinboy's honest opinion re Lawn Club on Reflection and Silhouette:

1--- Go there on a night when you are in port overnight, if applicable --- no wind because the ship isn't sailing--- you are docked in port.

Otherwise even with wind barriers it could be drafty, so bring a sweater .

2--- Do not, repeat not, fill yourself up on flat breads ( pizza ) and garden salad .

3--- Order the lamb chops as an appetizer -- maybe even a second order -- they really are good.

4--- The filet mignon and grilled shrimps are excellent and you can assist the Chef at the grill if you want to. 

5--- Very important--- Read slowly --- for desert -- it's a must --- the warm chocolate chip cookie with ice cream --- 

Again, being honest , it's not the same dining " experience " as Murano ( the best restaurant on board ), but, it's really good.

And, if you know how to say thanks ( $$ ) there's a very good chance you will be invited back at a reduced rate. 

Try it--- You'll like it 

Edited by Pinboy
Forgot a point
  • Like 1

We quite enjoyed the Lawn Club on the Silhouette in Feb 2020 and found both food and ambiance to be enjoyable.  As another poster noted, every specialty restaurant will have both good and bad reviews.  If I recall correctly we were still in port when we dined so wind was not an issue.  

We don't tend to do a lot of specialty dining but thanks to the sage advice from fellow members here, we did wait to book until we could get a discount so personally we thought what we paid for our LCG dinner was worth it.  If you do change your mind and decide to book the LCG, as my fellow Canadian Pinboy stated in his Point #5, the warm chocolate chip cookie is a must!  I am not a "dessert" person and rarely bother with it, but again due to comments from fellow posters here we did try the warm chocolate chip cookie and it was delicious!

We ate here on the Silhouette in 2018.  Thought it was very good, and the meats were well prepared. The portions were huge.  Definitely would share the appetizers.  We were offered this at a discounted price, and would probably do it again.

Interesting. We are going to be in Dubrovnik next summer on Reflection, 10am-Midnight. We were thinking it might be nice to eat on the top deck at sunset in the LCG. I think right now we are leaning toward it. 

• Like 1

Hi!  I've dined at the Lawn Club Grill for dinner on the Silhouette (1st night) and lunch (burgers) on the Reflection on a sea day.  Wind was not an issue for either times and temperature was warm since they were both March Caribbean sailings.  At dinner I went up and helped with a pizza and for the meats, my boyfriend went up to the grill to help.  We were a group of 6 and definitely ordered too much food but had an enjoyable time.  How couldn't we? ...we were sailing on a beautiful cruise ship, dining alfresco and in good company.  Service was great.   The food...it was good, was it the best I've ever had?...no but it was good.  The following year on the Reflection, we had other specialty restaurants we wanted to try (Tuscan and then back to Q-sine).  I would have gone to Lawn Club Grill again for dinner if others in my group wanted to but it wasn't a must do.  Well...then in the beginning of the cruise on a sea day we found out they offered lunch...burgers, for $15 (whatever you wanted to order) ...we all customized our burgers even though they had choices.  It was a very enjoyable lunch and we were seated right at the lawn overlooking the big Adirondacks.  Anyway, glad we knew it was offered and we will definitely look for the burgers again on future cruises that have the Lawn Club Grill.  The lunch even included that warm chocolate chip cookie that people love (someone in my group was in love with that thing). 

🍹

Love the Lawn Grill on both Silly and Rreflection.   Way too much food, especially the meat servings.   When we were in a RS so we ate there and at the Porch frequently.   At the Lawn Grill we would often have salad and the wonderful pizza for a light dinner.    On a transatlantic it was often cold and windy so we would have blankets and heaters.   You would need to eat quickly so your food (pizza) did not cool down.   It is not an “elegant” venue as you “used to” get your salad at a self serve bar.   You can also get lessons and cook your own steak.    Once we even made our own pizza, DH dropped his on the floor.

• Haha 2

I agree on the food quantity, and the dining experience was way too casual for me. Glad I gave it a try but wont bother again. I'd rather go to Murano twice instead.

I will be on Silhouette Saturday week and may wander past it to see what's going on. Our UK weather may mean it wont be that busy!

The lawn club grill is our favorite restaurant!  We can only enjoy however, on the Silhouette and Reflection. Wish they replaced the glass blowing on other S class ships and added this restaurant.  We typically dine in it at least twice a week as we can order different great freshly grilled items.  They also typically offer a lunch meal at least once during each cruise.  Love the lamb chops- and skewers of grilled veggies- my DH love the filet.

The grill on the edge was a real disappointment-wind-sun not a comfortable venue- we walked out.  The Lawn club grill is protected and comfortable.

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, txtechmk said:

I have recently reserved these two restaurant venues for two different upcoming cruises.  I have read several reviews lately where people have had bad experiences and lots of wind while eating.  Personally I do not want to eat while the wind is swirling around me, and I'm afraid that's what happens on the top decks....

If you have eaten at these two restaurants, I would love to hear your experiences both good and bad.  Thanks. 

Love the lawn club.

i sit next to one of the clear wind barriers.

i also wont book anything in advance.

you can get 50% off the lawn club while on board.

there will be people in the Lawn club waiters outfit walking around on sea days trying to get you to go. Ask for 50%  off. if they say 20%-30%, try again the next day.

eventually they'll say yes, especially on a 10+ day cruise.

this is only from people in the lawn club uniform, and not the generic waiter's uniform.

the generic waiter's walking around trying to get you to sign up to specialty restaurants cant give you as much of a discount.

the lawn club uniform means they work there and have more leeway.

love the food, especially the ribeyes.

Edited by fstuff1
  • Like 1

LCG is one of my favorites, its nothing fancy just good cuts of meats fish done very simply.  Which is all you need if it is a good cut.  Never have had an issue with wind at all, but I usually make sure I set it for when not moving to fast between Islands or ports.....only have used it for Caribbean cruises.  Always able to find discounts for the specialty places of course time is not always the ideal time.  I agree Murano can be great but tbh I was completely underwhelmed the last 2 times I went there.    

We have dined in the Lawn Club on several vessels and always thought it was just "Ok" and nothing very special.  Since we tend to be aboard for longer cruises we do like dining in multiple venues for the variety but the Lawn is our least favorite venue.  To be very blunt, we would not even consider the Lawn at its normal price.  When we have gone to that venue we never paid more then half price (we once negotiated an even lower price).   Some folks may not be aware that alternative restaurants are "negotiable" if their business volume is not very good.  There are usually some staffers outside the Lido at breakfast and lunch who will try to sell the alternative dining venues and we will sometimes have fun with these folks suggesting they might entice us to a venue with a good deal.   While it can be difficult to get a good deal in a venue like Murano, the good deals are more forthcoming for the Lawn.

So why are we not thrilled with the Lawn?  We just never found the cuisine anything special and it is not even in the same world as places like Murano (our favorite X restaurant).

Hank

17 hours ago, DUTRAVEL said:

We love both the Lawn Club Grill and Roof Top Garden - have eaten at both several times (on the Silhouette and Edge respectively). You will find that the number of positive reviews of both the LCG and RTG far exceed the negative reviews.

We enjoy the 'outdoorsy' casual format of LCG.  You're 'in the kitchen'.  I'm not there for quiet staid Murano meal.  Learned to go easy on flatbread/salads to savor the entrée - sample the different kabobs. LCG mgr agreed with me that the ribeye were usually better choice than filet. The warm chocolate cookie dessert is highly regarded.

One occasional feature is fun group of couples who have husbands do the cooking and put their culinary failings on display.  Have seen video clips of guy accidently tossing pizza dough up to ceiling beams. 

I do think the LCG 'gourmet burger' lunch falls short for value (was $25) and prefer the Porch for lunch alternative.

To each their own - bon apetite.

Edited by greydog
typo

I loved the Lawn Club Grill on the Reflection, but I have to admit that sometimes I find the quality of food and service is different on different ships.  For example, Tuscan Grill on the Solstice was just ok, on the Reflection it was very good.

We have enjoyed LCG on several ships..best while in port..less wind. Casual dress...a plus

We enjoy the do it yourself flatbreads.. cooked to.order beef, potato and the dessert cookie.  

Nice for dinner with a few folks  ( no more than 6 is best)

from the roll call.  Need to cross book res and  good idea  to chat with maitre d ahead if possible.

We had one bad experience  of a quite a few ( Reflection) with a waiter who  clearly put in a wrong order and the  restaurant refused to correct....nasty .  Eventually it was corrected and some got a free dinner for a later  nite..but the fun evening was ruined!

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/21/2021 at 6:45 PM, NMTraveller said:

Muranos has the best food IMHO.  Tuscan has the views out the back of the ship.

Love the view out the back of the Tuscan!!!  We enjoyed a table by the window on a beautiful afternoon and watched Skagway slowly disappear as we sailed away!  Such wonderful memories for us.

On 7/21/2021 at 9:22 PM, txtechmk said:

Thanks to all who responded.  Based on these reviews, I think I will cancel these reservations and go with another specialty restaurant.  Better to be safe than sorry.....😏

Why not book another restaurant before cruising then just drop by LG one evening when the sea is calm, the weather is favourable and the stars are shining and see if you can get a good deal? Nothing to loose!

As others have said the atmosphere is relaxed rather than what one usually expects from a  speciality restaurant but that is its appeal....Think of a family BBQ dinner...

There is a lot of food but you can get over this by ordering things you plan on sharing. We enjoyed the skewers, not as filling as straight meat orders enabling you to sample a few more items...

It our opinion well worth experiencing but not on a freezing rainy night!

On 7/22/2021 at 12:52 PM, hcat said:

We have enjoyed LCG on several ships..best while in port..less wind. Casual dress...a plus

Be advised that you may be assessed local taxes on your entire meal when in port.  

It can be very windy  and sunny.  Your location in the dining area can make a difference.  

On 7/21/2021 at 9:38 PM, Pinboy said:

Pinboy's honest opinion re Lawn Club on Reflection and Silhouette:

1--- Go there on a night when you are in port overnight, if applicable --- no wind because the ship isn't sailing--- you are docked in port.

Otherwise even with wind barriers it could be drafty, so bring a sweater .

2--- Do not, repeat not, fill yourself up on flat breads ( pizza ) and garden salad .

3--- Order the lamb chops as an appetizer -- maybe even a second order -- they really are good.

4--- The filet mignon and grilled shrimps are excellent and you can assist the Chef at the grill if you want to. 

5--- Very important--- Read slowly --- for desert -- it's a must --- the warm chocolate chip cookie with ice cream --- 

Again, being honest , it's not the same dining " experience " as Murano ( the best restaurant on board ), but, it's really good.

And, if you know how to say thanks ( $$ ) there's a very good chance you will be invited back at a reduced rate. 

Try it--- You'll like it 

Great review! 

Also...Wear comfy shoes! It rained on us  once and  there was no covered walkway back to the elevator .

• Thanks 1