The Daily for Monday July 26, 2021

richwmn

Today is All or Nothing Day, Aunt and Uncle Day, and Holistic Therapy Day

"With the past, I have nothing to do; nor with the future. I live now. - Ralph Waldo Emerson"

Meal suggestion for today - Vegetarian Lasagna

Drink of the Day - Alexander

Wine of the day - Château Gloria St.-Julien 2015

Destination of the Day - Tanjung Priok Jakarta Indonesia

Ships with Passengers

Juneau
Nieuw Amsterdam 13:00 - 22:00

Ships without Passengers

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Drifting
Westerdam Destination La Paz MX

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Great Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

La Paz MX
Noordam Anchorage

Long Beach
Zuiderdam Anchorage

Piraeus GR
Eurodam Operations off Coast

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Anchorage

Venice IT
Rotterdam

0726World.thumb.png.b8de78a71b1580a3cdeb35f0bd1b21fd.png

• Like 33
  • Thanks 5

Thanks for the daily report. Good Monday morning everyone.  Nice collection of days today, I didn’t realize there was an aunt and uncle day.  Great quote by Emerson and good advice as well.  The meal sounds very nice but will pass on the carbs today.  I haven’t been to today’s port and look forward to seeing the photos of it.  Prayers to all on our prayer list today.  Cheers to all of the celebrations!

• Like 20

Good morning! 

All or nothing day, why not!   I am an aunt, so today is my day.  I am all for holistic therapy.  

It is supposed to be a nice day today.  Rain is holding off for a few days and we'll enjoy the sunshine.

I'm off to the pool this morning.   

Today's meal sounds yummy, but I tend to stay away due to the carbs.  In the recipe I chose, I like the idea of roasting the vegetables.   That adds a tremendous amount of flavor.  I could do this using eggplant or zucchini in place of the noodles.

https://www.loveandlemons.com/vegetarian-lasagna/

1597487457_Vegetarianlasagna.thumb.jpg.b63a75003dd40c08ec27e93736fc6fb5.jpg

510954753_Vegetarianlasangna2.thumb.jpg.a54652cde05953c80f6bc9d89ad1d098.jpg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 4

Good morning and thanks for the Daily Report.

I'm an aunt, I guess I should celebrate today.  I don't like all or nothing, I think there is usually a middle ground.

Today's meal sounds good.  Thanks for the recipe @dfish.  Hope the wine and drink of the day are good too.

Another hot, humid day here.  Today's high is forecast to be 29C (84F).   Hope to have a patio visit with friends.

Prayers for us all.

Have a great Monday.  Stay safe.

• Like 23

Good morning.  I agree with puppy, I don't think it is all or nothing.  I'm an Aunt so will also celebrate my day today.  Like the Emerson quote.  And the meal looks so good.  Will save for another day.  I've not been to Indonesia, looking forward to the photo's of many of our BHB crew's homeland.  Rich, I like the new format of the Ships.  Can't wait for the list to be all with passengers.

Prayers and toast to all of us!

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Alexander:

The Alexander is a cocktail consisting of cognac, cocoa liqueur, and cream. Wikipedia
Ingredients: 1 oz Cognac, 1 oz Light cream, 1 oz White crème de cacao
Preparation: Shake all ingredients with ice and strain contents into a cocktail glass. Sprinkle nutmeg on top and serve.
Served: Straight up; without ice
Drinkware: Cocktail glass

Screen Shot 2021-07-26 at 7.32.45 AM.png

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the Monday Daily, Rich.  I am an uncle but my Aunts and Uncles are long gone.  I'll pass on the other 2 days today.  I visited Jakarta once on Crystal Serenity on the way from Bali to Cape Town on Crystal followed by Amsterdam home from Cape Town.  I like the meal suggestion.   My alternative is Mixed Italian Garden and Herb Crusted Rack of Lamb with Mint Basel Pesto and Potatoes Gratin as served on MS Prinsendam July 26, 2011.

Today’s care list:

RIP FF Thomas Royds last alarm 7/24/21
Welfare of furloughed crews
Garlictown difficutl recovery from arm surgery
Western wildfires
smitty34877's Miss Camilla in NICU(but gaining strength)
DurangoScots shelter manager in hospital (but out of ICU}
Cruising-along’s friend with breakthrough Covid
bennybear DSIL infection
JazzyV recovering from eye surgery
Ger_77's friend facing mastectomy
From the rotation:
Sharon’s mother(but improving)
Krazy Kruizer DH Joe

Celebrations and Shoutouts

Dam Juneau Sail-in
Front Line Health Care Workers
wandb’s sister doing well
5-day countdown for CrazyForCats
St. Pete Cruiser on a road trip
Happy Birthday Lori (Mamaofami’s DD)
Quartzite cruiser visit from DD
Cruising Along’s cousin’a transplanted kidney working
Denise on her wilderness adventure
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

I swore I had posted this earlier but it didn't take.  Fortunately it was still there in saved draft mode.

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 33
  • Thanks 5

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! And thank you for even caring about what  any of us want to see!  I suspect the folk in Juneau will have the doormat out for the Niew Amsterdam!

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy! Morning Dailyite family! I am so enjoying Lisa’s sharing her cruise with us!  I will be returning to Alaska next year and will be on the Niew Amsterdam, so hoping to pick up some pointers. 

Hoping the breeze returns, because right now it is HUMID! off to start working on Part 2 of my excellent Icelandic Adventure. 

Prayers to all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Château Gloria St.-Julien 2015 (2018)

I am rebelling - I am going to include info on the 2018 vintage of this red blend. First it has superb ratings, as do most of the vintages after 2016. And it is available. And I found it online for $41.99, so we might be able to find it for less locally. 

Winemaker Notes

65% Cabernet Suavignon, 25% Merlot, 5% Cabernet Franc, 5% Petit Verdot

WS96 Wine Spectator: There's lots here, with raspberry, blackberry, currant and blueberry fruit all playing a role, along with lively briar and licorice snap notes. An apple wood frame keeps the elements in line. 
Barrel Sample: 93-96

JS94 James Suckling: A full-bodied red with a dense, juicy palate of blueberries and blackcurrants. Some black tea and tree bark, too. Tight yet long and linear finish. Very structured and polished. Drink after 2024.

JD94 Jeb Dunnuck: Readers looking for an estate on the uptick need to check out the 2018 Château Gloria, which is up with the finest vintages I’ve tasted from this Saint-Julien estate. Deeply colored with terrific cassis and blackberry fruits as well as ample leafy herbs and sappy flower notes, it hits the palate with full-bodied richness, has polished, elegant tannins, and a great finish. It’s a juicy, fruit-forward effort with good concentration and lots of class. Drink it over the coming 25 years or more. The blend is currently 60% Cabernet Sauvignon, 32% Merlot, and the balance Petit Verdot and Cabernet Franc, from a selection of 65% of the total production, that’s currently resting in 40% new French oak. Barrel Sample: 92-94.

WE94 Wine Enthusiast: This wine has all the structured intensity and ripe fruitiness of a Saint-Julien. At the same time, it displays a light touch with the black fruits and open texture, promising an attractive wine. Drink the wine from 2026.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Good morning.  I agree with puppy, I don't think it is all or nothing.  I'm an Aunt so will also celebrate my day today.  Like the Emerson quote.  And the meal looks so good.  Will save for another day.  I've not been to Indonesia, looking forward to the photo's of many of our BHB crew's homeland.  Rich, I like the new format of the Ships.  Can't wait for the list to be all with passengers.

Prayers and toast to all of us!

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Alexander:

The Alexander is a cocktail consisting of cognac, cocoa liqueur, and cream. Wikipedia
Ingredients: 1 oz Cognac, 1 oz Light cream, 1 oz White crème de cacao
Preparation: Shake all ingredients with ice and strain contents into a cocktail glass. Sprinkle nutmeg on top and serve.
Served: Straight up; without ice
Drinkware: Cocktail glass

Screen Shot 2021-07-26 at 7.32.45 AM.png

This drink is like a milk shake with a good punch to it!

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Monday Daily, Rich.  I am an uncle but my Aunts and Uncles are long gone.  I'll pass on the other 2 days today.  I visited Jakarta once on Crystal Serenity on the way from Bali to Cape Town on Crystal followed by Amsterdam home from Cape Town.  I like the meal suggestion.   My alternative is Mixed Italian Garden and Herb Crusted Rack of Lamb with Mint Basel Pesto and Potatoes Gratin as served on MS Prinsendam July 26, 2011.

Today’s care list:

RIP FF Thomas Royds last alarm 7/24/21
Welfare of furloughed crews
Garlictown difficutl recovery from arm surgery
Western wildfires
smitty34877's Miss Camilla in NICU(but gaining strength)
DurangoScots shelter manager in hospital (but out of ICU}
Cruising-along’s friend with breakthrough Covid
bennybear DSIL infection
JazzyV recovering from eye surgery
Ger_77's friend facing mastectomy
From the rotation:
Sharon’s mother(but improving)
Krazy Kruizer DH Joe

Celebrations and Shoutouts

Dam Juneau Sail-in
Front Line Health Care Workers
wandb’s sister doing well
5-day countdown for CrazyForCats
St. Pete Cruiser on a road trip
Happy Birthday Lori (Mamaofami’s DD)
Quartzite cruiser visit from DD
Cruising Along’s cousin’a transplanted kidney working
Denise on her wilderness adventure
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

I swore I had posted this earlier but it didn't take.  Fortunately it was still there in saved draft mode.

Thanks for the Lists ROY.  It will be nice to see a HAL ship in Juneau today.

• Like 6

Thanks for the Fleet report, Rich.  I like an Alexander at Holiday time.  I like made with brandy. I like your segregation of ships.  I hope the day comes soon when all HAL ships carry passengers wi no strings attached.  I hope all posters and viewers have a great day.

• Like 9

Good morning everyone!  It's a warm, humid morning and unfortunately we still have the rest of the shrubs to trim and remove the mess that leaves behind.  The humidity is 94% at the moment so I hope that goes down slightly by the time we get ready to go out there.  Whew!

First, happy 19th birthday to my youngest granddaughter, Morgan!  She is a sassy little thing, sort of like her great Mimi ( I am Mimi and my DMIL is great Mimi).  Morgan went off to Florida to attend college, many, many miles away from home, and is happily studying marine biology.  She is the diver I spoke of on Women Divers Day.  She thinks sharks are the coolest animals ever.  So happy birthday Morgan!  And be careful!!

I have not been to Tanjung Priok, Indonesia, just Bali (Benoa).  I hope Roy or someone else who has been there can show us their photos.  Looking forward to it.  

Prayers for those in need and cheers to everyone on our shout out list today.  Thanks to @richwmn for publishing our Daily and @rafinmd for his contribution.  Also to @summer slope, @cat shepard@dfish, and @kazufor their invaluable support.  I'm off to sweat it out working in the front yard.  

• Like 28

29 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning everyone!  It's a warm, humid morning and unfortunately we still have the rest of the shrubs to trim and remove the mess that leaves behind.  The humidity is 94% at the moment so I hope that goes down slightly by the time we get ready to go out there.  Whew!

First, happy 19th birthday to my youngest granddaughter, Morgan!  She is a sassy little thing, sort of like her great Mimi ( I am Mimi and my DMIL is great Mimi).  Morgan went off to Florida to attend college, many, many miles away from home, and is happily studying marine biology.  She is the diver I spoke of on Women Divers Day.  She thinks sharks are the coolest animals ever.  So happy birthday Morgan!  And be careful!!

I have not been to Tanjung Priok, Indonesia, just Bali (Benoa).  I hope Roy or someone else who has been there can show us their photos.  Looking forward to it.  

Prayers for those in need and cheers to everyone on our shout out list today.  Thanks to @richwmn for publishing our Daily and @rafinmd for his contribution.  Also to @summer slope, @cat shepard@dfish, and @kazufor their invaluable support.  I'm off to sweat it out working in the front yard.  

Happy 19th birthday to Morgan your granddaughter today Sandi Mimi.

Graham.

• Like 12

Good morning everyone. I’m an aunt so I will celebrate today. Last evening we all went out to celebrate our daughter , Lori’s birthday which is today, and her husband’s birthday which was 7/22. Sam really enjoyed his first meal out.

Today will be another hot one with temps close to 90.

Take care and stay safe out there.

Carol

• Like 22

Good Morning from a warm and humid day at the beach

I only have 1 aunt left after many. She is wonderful and hope to see her next week when I go up to Boston. I am aunt to 17 wonderful nieces and nephews and 10 more by marriage. There is only 1 here, all the rest are up north.

Great meal choice but too hot today.

I have not been to todays port.  Looking forward to pictures.

Off to water aerobics this AM.

DH thinks we should put the masks back on, I really dont wont to but will do. I was at the market on Friday and many were wearing them, so I pulled mine out and put it on. 

Stay safe and enjoy today.

• Like 21

Good  morning!  We  had  a corker  of  a  thunderstorm  last  night  which  set all  the  neighborhood  dogs  to  barking  after  a  close  hit. The  two  residing  in  my  house  had  a  bark  fest  and  then  placed  themselves  on  either  side  of  our  bed  to "Guard" us.  The  storm  did  nothing  to  reduce  the  humidity but  the  temps  are  in  the  70's  so  far this  morning.

The  recipe  looks  interesting  and  I  will  try  it when  it  is  a  better  day  to  have  the  oven  on.

I  like  the  idea  of  surprising  the  family  with  tofu  instead  of  ricotta. I  try  to  be  a  good  aunt and  will  celebrate  the  day. It  often  feels  as  if  it  is  always  all  or  nothing  day.....The  Emerson  quote  is  a  good  one.

I  look  forward  to  the  port  pictures.

Terry

• Like 21

Thank you for the excellent daily and care reports.

Unfortunately we can't change the past but today we can do the right things and look forward to the future.

Vegetable Lasagna is very nice and a pleasant change from beef lasagna.

Pauline and I are Auntie's and uncles.

It is 70°F and sunny in our back garden.

It is nice to see ships sailing again and we actually saw Marella Explorer 2 which used to be Celebrity Century leaving the port of Tyne on Saturday night.

Best wishes to everyone especially those on the care list.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from a hot and humid central Texas.  Summer temperatures are definitely here with highs in triple digits or the very high 90sF for the foreseeable future.

Like @puppycanducruise, I'm not sure about all or nothing day.  Holistic therapy has its place.  All my aunts and uncles were great aunts and uncles.  DH and I are aunt and uncle to his DBs kids..

Emerson's quote is good.

The meal sounds good.  I have a vegetarian lasagna recipe with squash, zucchini, spinach, and carrots which is a hit with all the family, both the vegetarians and the carnivores as our DSIL calls the rest of us.  

The drink and wine sound good, but the wine is a bit pricey.

Like @StLouisCruisers,  Sandi, we have only been to Bali, so I'm looking forward to pictures from today's destination.

@richwmnRich the new list arrangement looks good, and I'm looking forward to see more BHBs in the top portion.  Thank you for taking the "family's" suggestions for the list.

@rafinmd Roy, several of us have a had posts disappear over the last few weeks..  I blame it on gremlins.

@StLouisCruisers Sandi, I hope you get outside early and don't get too hot.  Stay hydrated.  HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Morgan.

@cat shepardI'm looking forward to the next chapter in your Iceland adventure.

@mamaofami Carol, I'm happy Sam enjoyed his first meal out at the birthday dinner 

@cunnorl We are seriously considering wearing our mask 😷 again in stores, especially if they are crowded.  I'm also rethinking my trip to Waco to the used bookstore although I have a lot of books to take there.

I will probably take it easy today, but whatever I do, it'll be inside.

Lenda 

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 21