The Daily for Monday July 26, 2021

richwmn

Good morning everyone and Happy Monday!  When I was working I actually hated saying good morning because to me it wasn’t a good morning if I had to be at work. Now I don’t care and love not having to set my alarm. I slept in till 8:45 today but I had been awake at 5:00 for about an hour. 

Thank you for the Daily Rich and thank you for your lists Roy. 

DGD spent the night and is still sleeping, those teenagers!  She ate two dinners last night!  Our DS has a new “relationship”, as they say on FB, and she has a daughter the same age. They decided to go to Great Wolf Lodge in Phx over the weekend and had a great time. We will be meeting them for the first time this weekend when we have everyone over to swim and lunch for DGD’s birthday next week. It’ll be interesting. 😉

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 15

4 hours ago, mamaofami said:

Last evening we all went out to celebrate our daughter , Lori’s birthday which is today, and her husband’s birthday which was 7/22. Sam really enjoyed his first meal out.

Happy Birthday to Lori and belated wishes to her DH. So good to hear Sam enjoyed going out to eat!

🎈🎂🍾🥂

• Like 6

Ann @cat shepard, I really enjoyed today’s Iceland installment!  And I loved the last two pictures you weren’t able to remove. The flowers in the rocks!  So pretty. 

I feel for you about your fall. I took a bad fall two years ago at our rental cabin on a rocky dirt road going downhill. My right knee landed on rock and I almost did a somersault which is what saved me, I believe, from breaking anything. However, I had a horrible gash and probably should have had stitches but I refused to cut our trip short. DH still is mad at me about that. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just a quick update re Kakalena...  She has finished with the radiation but is having a lot of side effects.She has a good day followed by a couple of bad days but is happy that the worst is probably over. Will know more after her 1st follow up CAT Scan in a couple of months.. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 7

15 minutes ago, lazey1 said:

Just a quick update re Kakalena...  She has finished with the radiation but is having a lot of side effects.She has a good day followed by a couple of bad days but is happy that the worst is probably over. Will know more after her 1st follow up CAT Scan in a couple of months.. 

Thanks for the update.

We're praying for her.

• Like 8

Comedy of Errors Day today?   Lots going on, anyway.  At church yesterday, the priest said to say out loud the names of those we were praying for, so I said Tana, Sam and Cruise Critic!  I said it behind my mask, so I don't know if anyone heard me (except God, of course).   Anyway, you're all covered!

I am making banana bread this morning, and ratatouille, and I decided that, as the oven was on, I would roast the tomatoes so they wouldn't give off quite so much liquid, but they're still soggy.  I really don't like my  electric  stove, I'm so used to my old gas one, and when you turned that one off, it was OFF.  Anyway, the banana bread needs another 20 minutes, and the ratatouille is simmering.  Pat played golf early and has now gone out to lunch with a couple of friends, so I'm on my own, at least until DD appears.

We are now officially in "drought conditions" and we have been told to conserve water.   When we visited Pat's sister in Perth, Australia, we showered with a bucket beside us to catch as much water as it could, and then DSIL used it to water her roses.   We may have to start doing that here!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

Good morning,

Nice and cool here and we have the windows open.  I am not an air conditioning fan but know it is needed even here when temperatures rise.

Interesting list of days.  Haven't been to the port and so the pictures are great to see.

Prayers to all on the care list and cheers to those celebrating.  

Our good friend who has a break through covid case now has spread it to his wife.  We were so hoping that with she wouldn't get it.  Both are doing ok.  We will drop off groceries as needed (from a distance).

Praying for all who are still affected by this pandemic.  I am back to wearing my mask in some places.  I feel if our friends can catch it, anyone can.  Don't know anyone more careful 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Catching up on the latest on the Daily.  After several busy days/weeks, today is almost a lazy day.  Just a few light chores.

@cat shepard  I love all your pictures.

@Seasick Sailor  Joy, good to know the bees have moved on without being harmed.  We get honey bees when our silverado sage bloom, and I steer clear of the bushes until they leave.

@lazey1  Thanks for the update on KaKalena and  good that the radiation treatments are behind her.  Hope her good days soon out number her bad days and that she gets a good report from the CAT scan in a couple of months.

@ger_77  Sounds like a great visit with your godson and his DW.  Glad you got some rain, even a little bit helps.

Good to read that so many are still being careful.  We just ordered som KN95 masks.  Hope they are more comfortable than the ones we have now.  

Sorry to read about the breakthrough cases, and especially that they are spreading to others.  Hope everyone recovers quickly and without complications.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 16

I'm surprised we don't have more today about Jakarta.  I was there in 2004 but don't have a lot.  According to my notes, the traffic was quite horrific.  My tour was to the Elementary school President Obama attended for 3 years.  It was 8 miles from the port and an hour drive. There is a statue of him in the courtyard:

youngobama.jpg

Here are a few more photos from the school:

scholars1.jpg

scholars2.jpg

scholars4.jpg

On the way back we stopped at an eclectic antique market:

antiques.jpg

Roy

• Like 24

53 minutes ago, lazey1 said:

Sending prayers for Kakalena and hopefully she is over the worst of the radiation.🙏🤞

Graham.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I told DH we need to get rid of a few shrubs because they were planted too close and they all require trimming.  We could remove some and figure out some shrubs that don't require pruning all the time.  I've done it in the past and I can do it now.  I would also like to replace the pine straw with dark hardwood mulch.  He said well that's all on me because he hates yard work.  If he had less pruning to do he would appreciate that, right?  

So, I’ll stick my nose where it doesn’t belong and say I’m very much in the same boat for certain things outside.  DH helps but it’s deadheading - LOL - all the other stuff mostly falls on me.

I’m not getting any younger and you know what?  If you have to replace mulch or pull out shrubs or have heavy duty pruning to do, there are people you can hire to do that.

I do most myself but when it came to replacing mulch, I had someone else do it.  (We needed yards and yards of it). When it comes to spring and fall clean up in the gardens, it’s a big job so I have a gardener friend I hire.  I am working right beside him, but it’s just too much  for one person sometimes.

I’m happy to work in my gardens but I’m not killing myself.  I work hard enough as it is in retirement 😉 

• Like 18

37 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good to read that so many are still being careful.  We just ordered som KN95 masks.  Hope they are more comfortable than the ones we have now.  

I love the KN95 masks.  I bought black ones on Amazon, although I already had white.  The black goes with more things I think.  Anyway, there is more space where your nose and lips are so easier to breathe and I find people can hear me better.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, kazu said:

So, I’ll stick my nose where it doesn’t belong and say I’m very much in the same boat for certain things outside.  DH helps but it’s deadheading - LOL - all the other stuff mostly falls on me.

I’m not getting any younger and you know what?  If you have to replace mulch or pull out shrubs or have heavy duty pruning to do, there are people you can hire to do that.

I do most myself but when it came to replacing mulch, I had someone else do it.  (We needed yards and yards of it). When it comes to spring and fall clean up in the gardens, it’s a big job so I have a gardener friend I hire.  I am working right beside him, but it’s just too much  for one person sometimes.

I’m happy to work in my gardens but I’m not killing myself.  I work hard enough as it is in retirement 😉 

I hear ya!  We have an independent landscaping guy who has found a gold mine here with over 55 residents who can afford to pay to get the heavy work done.  DH uses him to keep the slope cleared out back (that belongs to the HOA by the way - all lots with the slope behind them have to maintain because they don't care if things grow sky high out there).  He would be happy to work for us on the front yard if we asked.  

I am just thinking about this right now.  If I decide to go ahead I won't be killing myself either!

BTW, for several decades I did most of the lawn work and that included ordering truck loads of mulch to be dumped in my driveway to put down.  And I have to say the yard was stunning.  Now, with our current so-called lawn care company doing it, not even close.

• Like 13

46 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I hear ya!  We have an independent landscaping guy who has found a gold mine here with over 55 residents who can afford to pay to get the heavy work done.  DH uses him to keep the slope cleared out back (that belongs to the HOA by the way - all lots with the slope behind them have to maintain because they don't care if things grow sky high out there).  He would be happy to work for us on the front yard if we asked.  

I am just thinking about this right now.  If I decide to go ahead I won't be killing myself either!

BTW, for several decades I did most of the lawn work and that included ordering truck loads of mulch to be dumped in my driveway to put down.  And I have to say the yard was stunning.  Now, with our current so-called lawn care company doing it, not even close.

It takes a team.  My DD has a yard that looks like an English country estate, but she is out there all the time...along with her weekly gardening service, her DH, and and my DH.  We joke that she has a staff.  My house...meh.  We do what we can.  I'll let the younger generation strive for perfection and enjoy their results.

• Like 12

55 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I have always done most of if not all the yard work.  Sometimes, especially with digging holes, DH has helped.  One year when we lived north of Houston, I had a service to spray the yard for bugs and to fertilize the yard.  When there was no improvement after two applications, they were history.  It just seems that for regular yard work, no one can do it the way you or I would.

When we travel or are in Quartzsite, one of our neighbors will mow it and do the trimming, but not the way I would.  However, I'm not here to see it, and it gets done.  👍😉 

Because of traveling so much until last year, and hopefully again in the future, we only have two small flower beds with drought tolerant plants, plus bearded iris.  The sage does not need trimming very often, maybe once a year, and then a major cutback every few years.  The other bushes, that I don't remember what they are, usually need trimming two or three times a year -- mainly when they get too shaggy for me.  With only seven, it is not too much work.  

Otherwise, I just mow the grass and trim once a week in the summer, and less often in the fall.

This year I planted 8 zinnias for color, and surprisingly, 5 of them are still alive and growing.  Woo-hoo.  

Since I hate weeding, I have found a product that helps control the weeds, but it does not kill existing weeds.  You just need to sprinkle it every few months.  It is Preen, and it comes in several different varieties for different areas.  Here I use the one for southern weed control.  It still won't stop the grass that gets in one flower bed, but trimming edges helps with that.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 11

So I'm watching the sail in of the NA into Juneau, absolutely a wonderful occasion after all these months.  And DGD shouts out "You are watching a BOAT?"  Yes I am watching a boat!  Then "why is so slow?"  Well, you don't want it to crash into the dock, like on the movie Speed, I mean, you watched that right?  "No, I don't know what that is..." 

Oh dear.............

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

Just now, Sharon in AZ said:

So I'm watching the sail in of the NA into Juneau, absolutely a wonderful occasion after all these months.  And DGD shouts out "You are watching a BOAT?"  Yes I am watching a boat!  Then "why is so slow?"  Well, you don't want it to crash into the dock, like on the movie Speed, I mean, you watched that right?  "No, I don't know what that is..." 

Oh dear.............

Sharon, please let your DGD know that you are watching a SHIP!

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I hear you.  We did that too for years.  And while it’s not as good as when we did it, I’ve settled for the help.  My hands are full between the house and the gardens and the planters.

There comes a time when you have to pay other people to give you a hand.

I’ll definitely trim my shrubs and do a lot of the gardening but I have two hands 😉.  It’s not a lot of help, but why kill yourself for 2 weeks when 4 or 5 young men can do the job in a day (new mulch or new sod).

• Like 10

This aunt was able to visit with my two nephews,  my niece-in-law, and my great-niece as we joined my sister in celebrating the the life of my DBIL. He died last year from Alzheimers, but the pandemic delayed the service. It was SO good to get together!!

• Like 9

5 hours ago, lazey1 said:

Thank you so much for letting us know. I've been wondering how she is doing. Please send her my wishes for a good recovery.

• Like 6