People are choosing to stay onboard instead of wearing masks in ports

I'm hearing from more and more of our friends that are cruising deciding to stay onboard instead of wearing masks. Having a ship to yourself to enjoy may not happen like in the past. They noticed a large number of people deciding not to get off in La Romana today with the mask requirements. In La Romana people are required to wear a mask everywhere unless they are eating, swimming, or drinking. 

• Like 5

While I completely understand why places would want everyone to wear a mask, I also understand why travelers would choose not to get off the ship. Honestly there are places I won’t be going locally this summer because I know the masks (that I do feel safer wearing) are going to make for a stuffier outing.

It’s probably pretty hot in some of those places so I would probably skip the ones that are repeat stops for me.

I don’t think the ports should change their mask mandate for safety reasons but they should expect that some people will skip them.

Hopefully enough people are getting off the ship to help any struggling economies out a little.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cherries Jubilee said:

While I completely understand why places would want everyone to wear a mask, I also understand why travelers would choose not to get off the ship. Honestly there are places I won’t be going locally this summer because I know the masks (that I do feel safer wearing) are going to make for a stuffier outing.

It’s probably pretty hot in some of those places so I would probably skip the ones that are repeat stops for me.

I don’t think the ports should change their mask mandate for safety reasons but they should expect that some people will skip them.

Hopefully enough people are getting off the ship to help any struggling economies out a little.

Yup, just got back from camping at a large lake in CA and chose that specifically because we wouldn't have to wear masks and deal with any nonsense and different rules at different times. Didn't see a single mask, even in the very crowded town village that serves the area and campgrounds. Just a lot of happy folks going about their business and enjoying nature and the water. We would have chosen one of the beach areas we like but the mask nonsense/uncertainty made the choice for us.  

• Like 5

I'm not opposed to wearing a mask in port, if it comes to it- though I definitely don't want to on board the ship. That said, I'm thinking on staying on board and doing a "Spa Excursion" or something like that simply because I've been to the ports before, in the case of Cozumel numerous, numerous times. So I've been looking at stuff to do on the ship instead or just laying around all day. I might get off in one port though and if masks are required while there then fine, it'll only be  for a few hours. 

• Like 5

I’m going to at least try to get off the ship masked in all ports on my 9/18/21 cruise. I will try it in Cabo and see how it goes 😉 I need to buy some more hand blown glasses from the glass factory so just taking a cab there and back to ship. 

• Like 5

I think everyone should do what makes them comfortable on their vacation.  If a mask makes you uncomfortable and you prefer to stay on the ship God bless.  Personally we are required to wear masks at work, so I already wear them everyday.  I wear socks over my toes and a mask over my nose, not a big deal to me.  I will be enjoying the ports of call in three weeks.  

• Like 13

Maybe there isn't much to do in the way of excursions and no reason to get off.  I was looking at Costa Maya for my cruise and the selections were slim.  Even for Cozumel, which I have been to before, there was only about half of the excursions than there was pre-Covid.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

Maybe there isn't much to do in the way of excursions and no reason to get off.  I was looking at Costa Maya for my cruise and the selections were slim.  Even for Cozumel, which I have been to before, there was only about half of the excursions than there was pre-Covid.  

Here is another option.  We used them last time we were in Costa Maya.  Great people, small bus, great price, and tour leader was an archeologist.  Would book with them again!  The tour we took was  Chacchoben Ruins Tour.  Looking at Kohunlich Ruins Tour for our next trip there.

Negative is you have to walk a few blocks outside the pier to get to their office.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bevv said:

Here is another option.  We used them last time we were in Costa Maya.  Great people, small bus, great price, and tour leader was an archeologist.  Would book with them again!  The tour we took was  Chacchoben Ruins Tour.  Looking at Kohunlich Ruins Tour for our next trip there.

Negative is you have to walk a few blocks outside the pier to get to their office.  

Thanks!  I will look into them.

1 hour ago, bdever said:

I’m going to at least try to get off the ship masked in all ports on my 9/18/21 cruise. I will try it in Cabo and see how it goes 😉 I need to buy some more hand blown glasses from the glass factory so just taking a cab there and back to ship. 

I'm on that itinerary next month. Does Mexico require masks or you are just going to try it on your own? I would expect masks to be required until out of the port area but still not sure about that if on an excursion.

2 hours ago, mrpayroll said:

On Mardi Gras in September and will be enjoying the ship every day. Been to all the ports already.

For our western sailing A WEEK FROM SATURDAY(woo hoo), we'll probably be off the ship a total of 2 hours. It has nothing to do with masks, and everything about having little interest in the ports beyond where the ship docks - and wanting to spend as much time on the ship as possible.

Tom

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Cherries Jubilee said:

We did our part. The July 10th Carnival Horizon was the first large ship to visit both Curacao and La Romana and the people were obviously excited and grateful. Especially La Romana. There was a band playing and dancers dancing. What must have been politicians at all levels posing for photo ops with the ship. The locals were all wearing masks. We were wearing masks. Everybody wearing masks.

We left money behind. It felt good. We cruise again in a few weeks - can't wait!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SDN said:

I'm on that itinerary next month. Does Mexico require masks or you are just going to try it on your own? I would expect masks to be required until out of the port area but still not sure about that if on an excursion.

No I’m just going to try it on my own. Not sure if it’s required but it can’t hurt just to try it and see if it’s doable.