Updated FAQ - Covid Test Required eff 8/15

Stevanb

1 hour ago, Coral said:

The Walgreen test I did was self administered (rapid) in the drive through. You only had to go 1/2" into your nose and swab each nostril for 15 seconds. 

I hate the deep tests and this I tolerated fine. BTW - I hate putting anything in my nose and it was fine.

cannot do self test drive through

6 hours ago, JRWLOBO said:

I guess it is a good thing Princess canceled our cruise, as we would be cancelling under these new mask mandates.  I personally do not want to go a vacation where I must mask up everywhere.  We will wait it out.

I totally agree with you. 
Tony

• Like 3

Well, we just received our "emergency notification" regarding the latest updates on the Covid roulette wheel. What a disappointment. As being fully vaccinated, we were looking forward to sailing on a fully vaccinated ship and enjoying normal, i.e. no masks etc. 

I'll be calling my T.A. tomorrow to push our three 2021 cruises well into 2022. Hopefully the Omega variant won't screw those up.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, TinaLee said:

At least they are accepting the rapid antigen results. Trying to get PCR results on a test within 72 hours when so many fly in a day early and results can't always be guaranteed within 24 hours is a giant pain! 

So true, had to rebook our flight on Southwest from the day before the cruise to the day of the cruise. Luckily Southwest let's you change flights with no change fees. We are on the Majestic Princess going to the Mexican Riviera Oct 16th. This way I can get the covid-19 test done on Wednesday and have the results by Friday before we fly out on Saturday the day of the cruise. I'm sure many folks are scrambling to make their cruise happen!

Cheers - Ken & Darlene

5 hours ago, USCcruisecrazy said:

But if everyone tests before boarding and are negative, there are no asymptomatic people on board.  It makes no sense! 

Actually it does make sense because people could test negative and then catch the virus on the way to the port. Just ask N.C. State's baseball team, where the unvaccinated players all tested negative on a Sunday (following two previous negative tests since the beginning of the tournament). One player, though, started feeling ill that day. They isolated him. Two days later he tested positive. Three days after that, seven additional people tested positive. Four of them had been vaccinated. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I don’t blame Princess but this decision has resulted in my wife and I cancelling our Alaskan cruise.  We were flying from New York to Seattle three days early and we don’t want to spend our first day trying to find a testing location that can guarantee results prior to embarkation.

We are extremely disappointed to say the least because we love to cruise but the added stress of getting tested and hoping the results are negative takes away the joy of travel.  Hopefully things will improve by January 2022.  

• Like 4

4 hours ago, beaglesandducks said:

Did anyone receive email from Princess about this requirement?   Seems it could be deal breaker for some 

Got mine today for Oct23 cruise. Is this for every cruise in the forseable future? Or is there an end date?

4 minutes ago, Kenosha Cruiser said:

So true, had to rebook our flight on Southwest from the day before the cruise to the day of the cruise. Luckily Southwest let's you change flights with no change fees. We are on the Majestic Princess going to the Mexican Riviera Oct 16th. This way I can get the covid-19 test done on Wednesday and have the results by Friday before we fly out on Saturday the day of the cruise. I'm sure many folks are scrambling to make their cruise happen!

Cheers - Ken & Darlene

You didn't need to have the results before flying - unless concerned about the result.  Test results are emailed and/or available online.

7 minutes ago, victory2020 said:

Got mine today for Oct23 cruise. Is this for every cruise in the forseable future? Or is there an end date?

My PVP stated that this requirement is in effect until 10/31 but it could be extended.

I do find it interesting the CDC conditional sailing order ends on 10/31. 

23 minutes ago, victory2020 said:

On the Princess Vacation Planners FB page, they indicated that the policy would run through October 31st whereas the Princess webpage only indicates it will be temporary.  The Carnival Cruise Lines announcement about their policy specified the October 31st date.  So IF all goes well, they can hopefully offer a more normal cruise product starting in November.

Here's the Carnival announcement FWIW.  https://carnival-news.com/2021/08/04/carnival-cruise-line-to-implement-new-mask-guidelines-for-all-guests-and-pre-cruise-testing-requirements-for-vaccinated-guests/?fbclid=IwAR3AS-yogjFMBN6jC4gjIihCYSlEnhTcDXXaul95Rg2cyYOSYTA8qUD8_ng

Edited by azbirdmom

2 hours ago, Sea Hag said:

No, they're not. I think the antigen one might be the least invasive. I could be wrong, so you should look into that.

Actually there is a saliva PCR Test. I took it at work and got the results two days later. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mom2labs said:

We got the email for our 10/30 Mexican Riviera cruise. 

Yup. My favorite line in the letter: 
“As stated above, we are hopeful these requirements will be temporary and we appreciate your cooperation and look forward to welcoming you aboard.”

44 minutes ago, RJAM3 said:

it does not go into effect until the 15th

I am aware. And yet there has been zero communication FROM Princess directly to those on this Sunday's sailing with ANY updates on ANY new protocols. Irresponsible. 

• Like 2

I had dreams of a mask free cruise, but maybe not.  I cannot disagree with their decision to protect crew/passengers alike.  The way covid continues to evolve has made future travel planning difficult.  I am hoping it becomes more manageable in the coming months but…. I wonder how difficult it is to get test results in Florida right now.  Right now I’m kind of feeling a cruise ship might be the safest place. How times have changed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, suekel said:

this part confuses me.  So if we Cruise on Tuesday, can we get the test on Saturday or does it need to be Sunday?  Makes it hard with a weekend in there to get results.  

Test must be taken within 3 days prior to embarkation. "...negative viral COVID-19 test (medically supervised PCR or antigen test) taken within 3 days of their embarkation on all Princess Cruises sailings."

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Timbles said:

the requirement says “medically observed” not “medically administered”

I was observed the entire time. I had to stay in drive through and was watching while doing the swab. 

8 minutes ago, PRNole47 said:

Test must be taken within 3 days prior to embarkation. "...negative viral COVID-19 test (medically supervised PCR or antigen test) taken within 3 days of their embarkation on all Princess Cruises sailings."

So, a Tuesday cruise would be Saturday?  Or does the day you set sail count as day 3?  Or if it's 72 hours and sailaway is at 6, do you count back 72 hours from then?  Am I overthinking this?

5 hours ago, dreaminofcruisin said:

I wonder if the at-home type tests will be acceptable?

This is what the FAQ says:

ALL fully vaccinated guests to produce a negative, medically-observed viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) taken within 3 days of their embarkation on all Princess sailings.

What does medically observed mean?

All results from tests done at all collection and testing sites must have the name of an "ordering" physician, who does not have to be present at the collection site to allow the testing or collection site to operate legally or bill an insurance company for the procedure.  It is the name of the "supervising" physician under whose license the test is given. What makes it confusing is the term medically observed found in the FAQ. This is not the same as the term medically supervised that is noted in the announcement sent to all pax. When one gets a scrip from a medical provider to go to any lab for any test (i.e., blood or othetr fluid or tissue collection), the ordering provider does not go to the lab with the patient to observe the procedure. Instead, the lab operates under the medical license of a physician who, technically, supervises all lab work done on the premises, despite that physician also not being there. I think both the FAQ and the letter/announcement sent out recently mean the same thing. It's just worded poorly.

• Thanks 1