Updated FAQ - Covid Test Required eff 8/15

Stevanb

13 minutes ago, sailor moon said:

I wonder how the masking is going to affect the excursions we have booked for Alaska. Two are Princess excursions and one is private. 🤔

We are on this week’s cruise and so far every port is requiring masks in shops, restaurants and on excursions. Listening to Juneau NPR, they are also seeing cases rise with Delta and like

many places are bringing back masking regardless of vaccination status. 

But like all mask regulations, it’s enforcement that matters and I’m not seeing a ton of enforcement.  On the train excursion today we all started out masked and then by the end, most people had them down. All staff were 100% compliant. 

Personally, I got vaccinated for myself and my community. Now we know that vaccinations aren’t 100% effective in keeping you from getting or spreading COVID, I’m happy to continue to do my part and wear a mask to keep myself and others healthy. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Got the dreaded email a few hours ago.  We have a B2B booked on Majestic in October.

So excited that the second segment would be our first as Elite!

We are going to cancel. We are fully vaccinated but we had already said that 

if we had to wear masks, we wouldn’t fully enjoy cruising.  While we are wearing

them indoors in public places here at home, we were looking forward to cruising without them.

Still on the fence about our December cruise on the Regal.  Fingers crossed!!

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, suekel said:

So, a Tuesday cruise would be Saturday?  Or does the day you set sail count as day 3?  Or if it's 72 hours and sailaway is at 6, do you count back 72 hours from then?  Am I overthinking this?

For Royal Caribbean our test day counted as day 0. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, suekel said:

So, a Tuesday cruise would be Saturday?  Or does the day you set sail count as day 3?  Or if it's 72 hours and sailaway is at 6, do you count back 72 hours from then?  Am I overthinking this?

LOL, maybe...but the statement says 3 days and not 72 hours. This is done for a reason: Not to hamstring the person operating within that time frame to be concerned as to exactly what time must I get the shot relative to what time I embark. By using 3 days instead of 72 hrs, one has more flexibility in meeting the time requirements. So, if you embark on Sunday, the earliest or soonest you must have the test done is on any of the 3 days before Sunday, meaning anytime Fri, Sat, or Thur.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, PRNole47 said:

All results from tests done at all collection and testing sites must have the name of an "ordering" physician, who does not have to be present at the collection site to allow the testing or collection site to operate legally or bill an insurance company for the procedure.  It is the name of the "supervising" physician under whose license the test is given. What makes it confusing is the term medically observed found in the FAQ. This is not the same as the term medically supervised that is noted in the announcement sent to all pax. When one gets a scrip from a medical provider to go to any lab for any test (i.e., blood or othetr fluid or tissue collection), the ordering provider does not go to the lab with the patient to observe the procedure. Instead, the lab operates under the medical license of a physician who, technically, supervises all lab work done on the premises, despite that physician also not being there. I think both the FAQ and the letter/announcement sent out recently mean the same thing. It's just worded poorly.

AFAIAC, the pharmacist/pharmacy employee is observing the self-administration of the test in the car and that satisfies the requirement.  Let's be simple here - the idea is that the sample is coming from the correct location on the body and that the sample is coming from the person listed on the test papers going to the lab.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, PRNole47 said:

LOL, maybe...but the statement says 3 days and not 72 hours. This is done for a reason: Not to hamstring the person operating within that time frame to be concerned as to exactly what time must I get the shot relative to what time I embark. By using 3 days instead of 72 hrs, one has more flexibility in meeting the time requirements. So, if you embark on Sunday, the earliest or soonest you must have the test done is on any of the 3 days before Sunday, meaning anytime Fri, Sat, or Thur.

31 minutes ago, suekel said:

Sorry, yes! I mistook you for the poster that had a Sunday embarkation. Yes, any time on Momday, Sunday, or Saturday would be fine. Think of it this way: Tue is 0 hrs, Mon is 24, Sun is 48, and Sat is 72 hrs (or 3 days) in advance.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PRNole47 said:

Every single board on CC is lit up with threads asking these same questions.  Think of all the people that don't read these boards and are just going to interpret the email however and take whatever tests they can get.  There'll be a lot of people turned away at the pier.  I can't see Carnival corporation coming out ahead here.  Not testing at the pier is the worst decision they could make. 

• Like 9

We chose this because it was to be an all vaccinated cruise. Now we have to get the Covid test, on our own, even though we are vaccinated!  Masks will also be required in many indoor areas!  Can we say no, we no longer want to cruise, please give us a refund?  I know they are in a difficult position but that is not how we want to celebrate our 51st anniversary.  We completely missed our 50th because of the lockdown.  This is our first Princess cruise since 1972.  We normally cruise Royal Caribbean where we are Diamond.  We were looking forward to a different experience but not like this. 

Edited by johnasmith99
Added text

24 minutes ago, PRNole47 said:

Exactly!! Where are people coming up with 72 hours??🤔

Let me chime in here.  I did read all 7 pages but not very carefully.  I may have missed a key word here or there.  So this is my disclaimer.

I HAD to have a negative PCR test within 72 hours BEFORE boarding a plane for Hawaii (multiple times).  I am guessing this also means that you will need 72 hours BEFORE boarding your Princess ship.

It is stressful.  Luckily, each of my tests were returned/emailed in the appropriate time.  All of my tests were done at Walgreens.  They have a disclaimer that says results are not guaranteed in 72 hours.

Here are some things to consider (by calling the pharmacy):

Check to see when (time/day) your tests are picked up from the pharmacy.  

Check to see if your tests will be picked up over the weekend.

Check to see when it is overnighted and to where? (weather could be a factor)

Try to avoid a weekend trip to the pharmacy.

I had to learn the heard way.  I took a test on a Saturday.  It wasn't until after the test that I learned that the 72 hours was not a guarantee.  I was told the test would not be picked up until Sunday (for a Tuesday flight).  I was told FedEx did not work the weekends.  I was told that FedEx did not deliver on Sunday.  PCR tests require 24 hours at the lab upon arrival.

I was in a panic.  I did call FedEx.  I did call the pharmacy.  By some miracle, my test was shipped out on Saturday, over night delivery, arrived on Sunday, and received confirmation of arrival.  My results were sent back by 12:01 PM/midnight Monday.  Don't know where the miscommunication came from.  

Oh....add days before to book your appointment.  

With the increase in COVID Testing, I can see that this is going to be areal problem for passengers and Princess. I, too, wish Princess would provide the test at the pier.

Good luck everyone.  Not happy to hear that testing will be required for my cruise in October.  Hope things get better.

Still not sure how people are doing b2b's before November 1.

24 hours x 3 = 72 hours.

Boarding on Thursday noon - Wednesday noon (24 hours)

Wednesday noon - Tuesday noon (24  hours)

Tuesday noon - Monday noon. (24 hours)

You will have to take the test no sooner than Monday noon. 

If you take it Monday morning, that "technically" should be fine since the results probably won't go out until afternoon.  Keep in mind that the lab results will post what time the sample was taken.

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 4

So questions in the case of a positive result:

1) will Princess offer a FCC?   Or does it go to your trip insurance coverage?  

2).  We are a group of 6 (3 couples). If one person has a positive will the entire group be denied boarding due to close contact with an infected person?

3) same questions for if your results simply don’t get to you in time

4). Any chance that Princess gets enough pushback on this that they decide to offer testing at the pier?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Chai8 said:

Because a) these cruises were so appealing BECAUSE they were touted as mask-free and fully vaccinated; b) because it doesn't actually add to the safety or security if they're increasing capacity but requiring masks and c) because they've done an incredibly poor job notifying those affected and/or offering either a postponement or cancellation option. 

I leave this Sunday. I haven't heard anything from Princess about ANY of the new protocols. Had I not read it on the CC boards, I'd have been completely in the dark arriving at the port. This is NOT the way to treat customers. Honestly, this is my first cruise, and first with Princess and I sincerely doubt I'll do another one after this. It's not their fault that the delta variant is surging, but it is absolutely their responsibility to treat us passengers with respect for our time/money. Between the shoddy app rollout and now all this, I feel pretty disrespected and devalued by the whole experience and I haven't even gotten on the ship yet. This is not the way to have a vacation. 

Awwww I really hope you go.  You seemed so excited and happy following us on the first sailing. I’m sorry the rules have changed for you. But oh my goodness this crew, the people you will meet and get to know. They are just. so. incredible. wonderful & happy. And THEY ALL wear masks. THEY ALL get tested weekly!  
You’re only doing what they have to do to come back to this beautiful experience at  sea we all love. They do not complain, the crew has such a great time and the all the masks and testing doesn’t diminish any of it.   I am sailing again with Princess  under these rules and I can’t wait to do so. 

The Broadway production shows, the vocalists, the food, the comedy, Dan and Rachel will all be just as great and wonderful as always. 

The sunrises, the sunsets, the walks on the upper decks, the whales breaching, the dolphins playing in the wake,  the eagles flying overhead and the bears on the shoreline. They will all be there!!

If  you all cancel your cruises then you will be sending these hard working and worthy people home to be unemployed. Just saying’

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel
  • Like 7

54 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Awwww I really hope you go.  You seemed so excited and happy following us on the first sailing. I’m sorry the rules have changed for you. But oh my goodness this crew, the people you will meet and get to know. They are just. so. incredible. wonderful & happy. And THEY ALL wear masks. THEY ALL get tested weekly!  
You’re only doing what they have to do to come back to this beautiful experience at  sea we all love. They do not complain, the crew has such a great time and the all the masks and testing doesn’t diminish any of it.   I am sailing again with Princess  under these rules and I can’t wait to do so. 

The Broadway production shows, the vocalists, the food, the comedy, Dan and Rachel will all be just as great and wonderful as always. 

The sunrises, the sunsets, the walks on the upper decks, the whales breaching, the dolphins playing in the wake,  the eagles flying overhead and the bears on the shoreline. They will all be there!!

If  you all cancel your cruises then you will be sending these hard working and worthy people home to be unemployed. Just saying’

You’re very kind. We’re going. Too late to cancel without taking a pretty big financial hit. We’ll make the best of it.

I guess I’m just disappointed that the way this has been handled has been lacking. These aren’t cheap trips. I was reviewing our final paperwork today and there was a note about how Princess would be communicating with us in the event of changes. That hasn’t happened at all, and while I don’t blame the crew,  I’m really quite surprised that literally no one has reached out via email to explain what’s happening or why. If I hadn’t found these boards, I’d be in the dark and I’m not alone in that.

Again, first world problems. I get it. I just don’t like feeling taken for granted and I’m sad that that’s the case here. 

Tomorrow’s another day. It’ll look better. Life goes on. 

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Chai8 said:

Too late to cancel without taking a pretty big financial hit. We’ll make the best of it

I am glad that you are making the decision based on your own situation, not because of the crew or anyone else. 

At the end, we have to feel comfortable enough to still going or need going.  To me, I am not only putting myself, but also my dear husband's life in an environment where either one or both of us could get sick.  I truly believe there are more of a story behind this sudden change of masking and testing rules that the cruiselines keep in a closed doors.  Would the masks really protect us among 3000+ other people?  Or are we more safe at home, since we have to wearing masks on the cruise now, that is not really a vacation.  We have no choice but have to finish the cruise where we start because of the hefty cancellation fee.   Never in my thought I should feel guilty of sending the crew home when the time comes we have to cancel our bookings.  We have to look out to ourselves first before we can help others.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Syracusefan44 said:

I don’t blame Princess but this decision has resulted in my wife and I cancelling our Alaskan cruise.  We were flying from New York to Seattle three days early and we don’t want to spend our first day trying to find a testing location that can guarantee results prior to embarkation.

We are extremely disappointed to say the least because we love to cruise but the added stress of getting tested and hoping the results are negative takes away the joy of travel.  Hopefully things will improve by January 2022.  

So you say you've cancelled.  Surely you had already paid in full for an Alaskan cruise (ours is the final Alaskan 9/26 and we're paid in full)  SO, what happened when you cancelled?  Can you offer any details for us who are now reconsidering?  Thanks from a lifelong New Yorker now living in Seattle!

Edited by SeaTacMike
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

That's sensible. 

The previous 'unvaccinated people will have to wear masks' was silly.

How would princess know who should and who should not be wearing masks?

The vaccination status would be in the data base the Medallion references.

A staff member can check the status of everyone walking by and thus see if a person without the vaccine is not wearing a mask.

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

Why all the moans and groans ? All us Brits are quite happy  to undergo a test at the terminal. 

Adds to the safety  of the cruise - surely it is a good idea to not let anyone on board that tests positive for CV19 ?

Nobody is complaining about a test at the terminal.

The problem is getting a test away from the terminal within the 72 hours before boarding and have the results back in time to check-in.

• Like 4