The Daily for Wednesday August 11, 2021

richwmn

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Last night I didn’t fry the pork, just used it straight out of the crockpot and I think I prefer it that way.  And I added some of the juice to the beans. 

I forgot you were in San Diego. Craig and I went to the Nazarene College on Point Loma and after we were married lived in an apartment on Wing street near the Scripps Hospital. Not sure if it’s still there though, that was in 1974/1975. 😉

I know we are on the same October cruise but which sailing are you on to Alaska?

We are September 11 to Alaska.  I think you go sooner than us. I haven't heard anyone say they are on our sailing.  I got all nervous the morning bookings opened and saw that so many dates were filling up fast, so I quickly glanced at it and saw September 11 and thought, oh, nobody wants to travel on that date, so all in a tizzy I just booked it.  Not even thinking about things like weather.  Although we've been there at that time before and it was great.

But... we have many things to talk about in October!   Lots of connections to Point Loma and many Nazarene College friends from that era.    😍

• Like 14

For some reason the video of Florrie will not show for me.  Instead I get this:

We could not locate the item you are trying to view.

The lightning photo reminds me of something that happened yesterday.  We weren't expecting rain, but some came to us anyway.  The mowing crew cuts our street's yards on Tuesdays.  Before the mowers arrive the weedeater and edging guys come through.  They had left bits of mud, dirt and grass on the cement.  I saw a storm approaching and went outside to sweep the mud off the cement before the rain made a mess of it. They would normally blow it all off after the mowing was finished.  I'd barely started sweeping when a huge bolt of lightning lit the sky up right over me and our house.  I don't know what it hit but I hightailed it right back into the house.  Wow - that was loud and scary looking!  To heck with the muddy cement!  

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Good days. 

The quote is true, unless you believe in reincarnation. 

I like the meal, but too many carbs for me. I'll pass on the drink, but take the wine.

I have been to today's port on a Princess cruise in 2012.

I spent the morning trying to schedule a colonoscopy; the scheduler had trouble with her computer, then had to go get someone to help. We finally got it done. My doctor who did my previous ones retired, so it'll be someone new. Now, the thunder is rumbling and it's raining, as we're under severe thunderstorm alert. I'm hoping the power stays on. Predicted storms all week due to the heat/humidity.

@dfish Enjoy the family picnic. Safe travels.

@mamaofami Wonderful news on Sam's progress and prognosis.

@aliaschief Thanks for checking in. Sounds like you're having a great time.

@CruiseMGM I also took up sourdough breadmaking during the pandemic. My Frankie is in the fridge, and gets weekly feedings too. I haven't baked during this heat. Having a 500° F oven on just doesn't cut it. I did dry out some of my starter and have it in a jar; in case of failure of the one in the fridge, it can be reconstituted.

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list. Stay safe everyone.

Sunrise in Nawiliwili

1637278321_158-SunriseinNawiliwili.thumb.jpg.f9deda31687d4b93fd2b85de54eaf25e.jpg

56808334_162-WelcometoNawiliwiliKauai.thumb.jpg.449161fbf8eb0a0bbc40607e86946c41.jpg

Blowhole (Spouting Horn)

653649904_165-Blowhole.thumb.jpg.dc33d922d9622ea7e9d388e0c4444966.jpg

1690617985_168-SoundingHorn.thumb.jpg.e891d30f7d7dccd93f337108b91ed27c.jpg

Chickens in Kauai

1620275449_172-ChickensinKauai.thumb.jpg.098dc9e1204b7925e6174a060b2fe73b.jpg

1966947499_176-Chickenoutsidestoreatourstop.thumb.jpg.71534564cc1e8793113982675bfd70e4.jpg

Waimea Canyon (it was foggy)

1815274380_178-WaimeaCanyon.thumb.jpg.da3ca28557480ddf44791ccaaf337a4e.jpg

331155890_186-WaimeaCanyon.thumb.jpg.326e6661de43b406ca7ea0d136660858.jpg

Tug doing donuts before we left port

1846570171_193-Tugdoingdonutsbeforeweleaveport.thumb.jpg.b80364d201d4d9b0f1ad8510d3c53707.jpg

Leaving Nawiliwili

563467555_198-LeavingNawiliwili.thumb.jpg.c4a45608d876cdb6c836192f24ea99b9.jpg

807678898_203-LighthouseNawiliwiliBay.thumb.jpg.fa77c85c50bb7efcc5785e4fa4d762b0.jpg

• Like 26

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Oops.  I think yesterday I was having login problems on my primary laptop and mis-copied the meal to my backup laptop. 

I was thinking that was a Cruise Critic problem (and it may have been partly to blame) but it was mostly my fault.  Cruise Critic refused to accept my login which had been saved.  I checked and checked my password and I KNEW it was right but somehow my saved login had the wrong userid.  Don't know how that could have happened but I probably did something wrong while Cruise Critic was having login issues.

Roy

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I was thinking that was a Cruise Critic problem (and it may have been partly to blame) but it was mostly my fault.  Cruise Critic refused to accept my login which had been saved.  I checked and checked my password and I KNEW it was right but somehow my saved login had the wrong userid.  Don't know how that could have happened but I probably did something wrong while Cruise Critic was having login issues.

Roy

Roy, I haven't had login problems but have had little glitches that are really annoying since the supposed update.  One of things that is bugging me is when I try to go back to the HAL main page I'm being redirected to the previous page of the thread I'm reading.  I'm only seeing this on my iPhone and IPad, not on my PC.

• Like 7

Good afternoon all!

No surprise we're on page 4 before I can post...  I had to rush out this morning for an eye appointment.  Not that we west coasters are able to get on much before page 2 or 3 anyway 😉  

I played in the sand a couple weeks ago with DGS for his birthday beach getaway.  And when an 8-year-old asks you to build sand castles with him, well, this Nana doesn't say no.  🙂  

We have a son and a daughter, plus a DDIL and DSIL all of whom I love dearly and am so proud of all of them.

Anyone who can do calligraphy has my utmost admiration.  It's beautiful, but not something I ever took up.  

The meal and wine both sound good today, but I think I may get Mexican take-out tonight.  

@Seasick Sailorand @dfishyour cookbooks are wonderful and both look so well done.  What a great idea!  Like @Sharon in AZI do have my DM's recipes in her own handwriting, but have never thought of putting together a family cookbook.

• Like 19

7 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Good afternoon and thank you Rich for the daily report and Roy for the care list.

It is currently 65°F cloudy and we are on the beach.

Nice collection of days but will pass on the food.

Interesting quote.

We were in Kauai during our Hawaiian cruise on Grand Princess and the movie tour was excellent.

We visited the site where Blue Hawaii,Gilligan's Island and could see where South Pacific was filmed as well as lots of other interesting movie locations.

🙏Prayers for everyone on the care list's.

Wishing everyone a lovely day.

Graham.

IMG_20210811_115457.jpg

Screenshot_20210811_121058_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Screenshot_20210811_121110_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Screenshot_20210811_121126_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Screenshot_20210811_121240_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Love your photos again.Please keep posting them,Jim

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Good Afternoon All, thanks for the daily report.  I forgot how much piles up at work when you take a week off.  I’m finally getting caught up on emails and customer updates.  @dfishthe meal looks good and I’m sure I’d enjoy it, also safe travels and enjoy your family time.  I hope everyone has a good day.

• Like 17

1 hour ago, AncientWanderer said:

We are September 11 to Alaska.  I think you go sooner than us. I haven't heard anyone say they are on our sailing.  I got all nervous the morning bookings opened and saw that so many dates were filling up fast, so I quickly glanced at it and saw September 11 and thought, oh, nobody wants to travel on that date, so all in a tizzy I just booked it.  Not even thinking about things like weather.  Although we've been there at that time before and it was great.

But... we have many things to talk about in October!   Lots of connections to Point Loma and many Nazarene College friends from that era.    😍

You do have company on the ship!   Sister Sue, friend Donna, and I are sailing on the September 11th voyage.  We are so excited.  This will be Donna's first cruise.   We had her booked on four others that all got cancelled.  Beginner's luck?

• Like 13

UGH! I am still having trouble with Cruise Critic despite logging out and back in several times!

At one point I was able to react to some posts, but not others. Even earlier today, I was able to react. But here, nope. In fact a whole post that I wrote yesterday(?) didn't actually post.

Anyway, thanks for the Daily updates. Prayers for those that need them, Cheers for the celebrations, and Blessings to all.

• Like 19

7 minutes ago, dfish said:

You do have company on the ship!   Sister Sue, friend Donna, and I are sailing on the September 11th voyage.  We are so excited.  This will be Donna's first cruise.   We had her booked on four others that all got cancelled.  Beginner's luck?

OMG!  You made my heart jump.   

I'm so excited I get to meet you and your besties!  No jinxing though -- we'll make a plan when it looks certain the sailing will go.  I'm still so afraid there will be a pause in sailings at some point and hope it's not ours.  🤞

Oh....that's just so great you're going then!!  😊

• Like 16

I hadn't heard anything from my neighbor about Copeland so I left a message on his daughter Brenda's phone asking about her and Copeland's health.  Five minutes later my phone rang and it was Brenda's husband Paul.  He said Brenda is not doing well.  She still has a high fever and is pretty much staying in bed, 10 to 11 days after her first symptoms.  He also said Copeland is still hospitalized but raring to get out of there.  No visitors allowed!  His oxygen levels are still low 90's and he's on 100% oxygen.  What awful news!  I told him I'd continue praying for their complete recovery.  Even with all that worry for his family he still asked how DH and I were doing.  Thank goodness we're still fine. 

Paul was initially infected with the virus by having a birthday dinner with their 20 year old daughter and her boyfriend.  They had it but didn't know, therefore Paul caught it sitting next to her at dinner, then passed it on to his wife and FIL.  

What a mess!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 9

13 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I hadn't heard anything from my neighbor about Copeland so I left a message on his daughter Brenda's phone asking about her and Copeland's health.  Five minutes later my phone rang and it was Brenda's husband Paul.  He said Brenda is not doing well.  She still has a high fever and is pretty much staying in bed, 10 to 11 days after her first symptoms.  He also said Copeland is still hospitalized but raring to get out of there.  No visitors allowed!  His oxygen levels are still low 90's and he's on 100% oxygen.  What awful news!  I told him I'd continue praying for their complete recovery.  Even with all that worry for his family he still asked how DH and I were doing.  Thank goodness we're still fine. 

Paul was initially infected with the virus by having a birthday dinner with their 20 year old daughter and her boyfriend.  They had it but didn't know, therefore Paul caught it sitting next to her at dinner, then passed it on to his wife and FIL.  

What a mess!

So very sorry to hear all this news and I didn't want to give a thumbs 'up'. Sending healing thoughts and wishes your way and their way. xo

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, CruiseMGM said:

So very sorry to hear all this news and I didn't want to give a thumbs 'up'. Sending healing thoughts and wishes your way and their way. xo

1 minute ago, AncientWanderer said:

@StLouisCruisers...not good news.  But hold a good thought.  Our DS was down for about two weeks with COVID and he fully recovered.  Prayers that your neighbors recover well.

Thank you for your replies.  I am praying that they will improve very soon.  Having several in one household down with this is frightening!

• Like 10

@StLouisCruisers Prayers for your neighbors. It's so scary. I seem to recall you said they were all vaccinated? I'd hoped the not elderly ones would have a better time of it since they were vaccinated. It shows we can't let down our guard. I was nervous after going to a restaurant 2 weeks ago where the servers weren't masked.

• Like 12

58 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

OMG!  You made my heart jump.   

I'm so excited I get to meet you and your besties!  No jinxing though -- we'll make a plan when it looks certain the sailing will go.  I'm still so afraid there will be a pause in sailings at some point and hope it's not ours.  🤞

Oh....that's just so great you're going then!!  😊

It's a deal!  We are holding our breath that we will board that ship.   

• Like 10

58 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

What a mess!

I am so sorry to read this.  I hope Brenda begins to improve.  That doesn't sound good at all.  But, it does sound like Copeland is a feisty one.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

@StLouisCruisers Prayers for your neighbors. It's so scary. I seem to recall you said they were all vaccinated? I'd hoped the not elderly ones would have a better time of it since they were vaccinated. It shows we can't let down our guard. I was nervous after going to a restaurant 2 weeks ago where the servers weren't masked.

Yes, all three next door were vaccinated.  I don't know about their daughter and BF.  She's only about 20 years old.  Brenda and Paul were 50 when they adopted 2 baby girls, one from China, and the other from a local girl in Georgia.  The girls are about 20 and 21 now and Paul and Brenda are 70.  

• Like 10