The Daily for Friday September 03, 2021

richwmn

Today is Skyscraper Day, College Colors Day, and National Lazy Mom's Day

"Life is 10 percent what you make it, and 90 percent how you take it. - Irving Berlin"

Meal suggestion for today - Fried Bass

Drink of the Day - Blow my Skull Off

Wine of the day - Penley Cabernet Sauvignon Coonawarra Phoenix 2016

Destination of the Day - Le Verdon (Bordeaux) France

Ships with Passengers

At Sea Pacific
Nieuw Amsterdam Destination Seattle

Santorini Island, Thira, Greec
Eurodam 07:00 - 17:00

Ships without Passengers

At Sea Mediterranean Sea
Rotterdam Destination Ijmuiden NL eta 9/10

At Sea Pacific
Noordam Destination Ensendada MX eta 9/3

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Ensenada MX
Zuiderdam

Ijmuiden NL
Oosterdam

Long Beach
Koningsdam Anchorage

Puerto Vallarta MX
Westerdam

Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Amchorage

0903NAmerica.thumb.png.4a3607ac1c79b7664ccff8eae60cda93.png

0903Europe.thumb.png.d4856eda57b7a34a558850fef296d975.png

• Like 29
  • Thanks 8

It is also National Food Bank Day

National Food Bank Day was created in 2017, to commemorate fifty years since the founding of St. Mary's Food Bank Alliance, the first food bank in the world, and to "recognize the outstanding contributions of food banks around the country". St. Mary's was founded by John ven Hengel in 1967, and its mission is to "alleviate hunger through the gathering and distribution of food while encouraging self-sufficiency, collaboration, advocacy and education."

Food Banks have been very busy for the past few months and need support of those who can.

• Like 33
  • Thanks 4

Thanks for the daily report!  I'm getting an early start today in hopes that my work day moves quickly and I can start the holiday weekend early.

Skyscraper Day is one I've not heard of before - they're nice to look at but with my fear of heights, tough for me to visit and look outside windows (during a visit years ago to the Hancock Tower in Chicago, the floor-to-ceiling windows on the observation floor were a non-starter...I spent the entire visit plastered against an interior wall, well away from the windows and full of anxiety).  

College Colors day is a nice one for all the students headed back to campus.  I'll celebrate by enjoying my morning coffee from my MSC (Montclair State University) mug.

Love the Berlin quote - life really is what you choose to make of it.

Will skip the meal - not a fish fan - but interested in knowing what's in that drink of the day.  Sounds ominous!!  I'm betting the wine is fantastic - I'm a big fan of Aussie varieties.

Woke to another glorious day of sunshine and pleasant temperatures.  Haven't seen the care and celebrations list, but sending thoughts and good wishes to all for a day that is better than yesterday, no matter what. 

Check in later!

• Like 22

Thank you for the TGIF Daily, Rich.  Lazy Mothers sounds like a contradiction of terms to me.  My College Colors are Green and White.  Skyscrapers are awesome but can also be scary.  A special salute to Food Banks.  I love both Berlin and his quote.  Have not been to Bordeaux and will pass on the bass.

Today’s care list:

RIP Surfside lifeguard Keith Pinto
Welfare of furloughed crews
Western (Especially BC and Lake Tahoe) wildfires
cat shepard’s friend undergoing chemo for stage four cancer
sailingdutchy’s DD in Rye NY with flood damage
New Zealand continuing outbreak
JAM37 DH fighting Covid but showing improvement
durangoscots recovering from difficult melanoma surgery
Crabbi Patti in Quarantine
From the rotation:
HAL Sailor DH health issues
irishjim awaiting surgery for ear melanoma September 14

Celebrations and Shoutouts

Welcome aboard billfish
2 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
1 Day for Atexsix, dobiemom, and Lafnvegas
Getaway for segarsmoker
Tioga Cruiser on a road trip
Overhead Fred back at cottage
StLouisCruiser’s neighbor Brenda feeling better
cat shepard freed from brace
Ancient Wanderer headed for Alaska
Cruising-along DD and DSIL heading close to home
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 25
  • Thanks 7

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Interesting collection of days.  No skyscrapers in our little town.  A salute to food banks, it's too bad so many people need them.  I don't know any Lazy Mothers.

Love the quote.

The meal sounds interesting, looking forward to seeing the recipe.

I'm not sure about the drink, but I'm sure the wine will be good.

I hope we are visiting the port of the day next year, looking forward to seeing lots of pictures and comments.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a great Friday.    Stay safe.

• Like 21

16 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the TGIF Daily, Rich.  Lazy Mothers sounds like a contradiction of terms to me.  My College Colors are Green and White.  Skyscrapers are awesome but can also be scary.  A special salute to Food Banks.  I love both Berlin and his quote.  Have not been to Bordeaux and will pass on the bass.

Today’s care list:

RIP Surfside lifeguard Keith Pinto
Welfare of furloughed crews
Western (Especially BC and Lake Tahoe) wildfires
cat shepard’s friend undergoing chemo for stage four cancer
sailingdutchy’s DD in Rye NY with flood damage
New Zealand continuing outbreak
JAM37 DH fighting Covid but showing improvement
durangoscots recovering from difficult melanoma surgery
Crabbi Patti in Quarantine
From the rotation:
HAL Sailor DH health issues
irishjim awaiting surgery for ear melanoma September 14

Celebrations and Shoutouts

Welcome aboard billfish
2 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
1 Day for Atexsix, dobiemom, and Lafnvegas
Getaway for segarsmoker
Tioga Cruiser on a road trip
Overhead Fred back at cottage
StLouisCruiser’s neighbor Brenda feeling better
cat shepard freed from brace
Ancient Wanderer headed for Alaska
Cruising-along DD and DSIL heading close to home
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thanks for both lists,

• Like 6

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our TGIF smile 🙂 

Interesting collection of days.  All Moms deserve a lazy day but it’s not as easy to achieve as it sounds 😉 

D7CCD14B-9891-414A-A2DE-68A0E15FD34B.jpeg.fe28fa6e475f37d290bc1310b0871e44.jpeg

I think the best of the days to celebrate is the National Food Bank day 😉   That quote of Irving Berlin’s is so very true 👍 

The meal suggestion sounds interesting - looking forward to Debbie’s recipe.  We’ve been to Bordeaux but not today’s port.

The political debates started here last night.  Frankly, I’m tired of politicians’ promises that aren’t / can’t be kept.

36ABBD8E-8672-4439-9360-873F922E75CA.jpeg.c9bda0cc6f3342bcf889972419bf14bd.jpeg

@KirkNChappy birthday to your DD 🎂 🥳 

Rain has finally mostly slowed down here.  Some remnants will still be around but we are over the worst of it, I think.

Prayers for everyone the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Friday, everyone!!!!!

B58D5DBE-637E-474E-A745-BD4B94232973.thumb.jpeg.846db94026824bc688c77e4e246d0861.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 36

@richwmnI just saw a thread that the Eurodam’s ports are changing for the October 6th sailing in case it is of help to you:

8 hours ago, Domer81mpc said:

Kotor out (no surprise); Split, Croatia in.  Not overnighting in Venice, instead going to Koper, Slovenia for day before docking somewhere in Venice  on October 18.

• Like 10

Good morning. Thank you for the Daily and lists. Thanks also to those who will provide the recipes. 

It is a cool and breezy 60 degrees here in the north Georgia mountains this morning. Quite refreshing.

I like to look at skyscrapers as we drive through different cities. Special love to the food banks, the people who run them and their volunteers. Lazy Mom Day...🤔 Don't think I had one of those until my children were at least teens. College colors day is appropriate with college football starting this week.

I am interested in the recipe for today as I do love fish.

Never been to the port.

It looks like our celebration list is longer than our cares list which is nice to see.

DH took a sleep aid, slept well and is feeling better this morning. No headache, no body aches, just the cough.

For those of you traveling this long weekend stay safe and enjoy.

Prayers and praises for those on our lists.

Blessings

• Like 24

Good morning everyone, happy start to the Labor Day weekend.  Thanks for the daily report.   Every day is skyscraper day for me since I work in the top floor of one.  Crimson and gold were my college colors.  Not sure what lazy moms day is as my mom never stops doing things!  The quote is very appropriate.  The meal suggestion sounds delicious but I don’t know where I’d get bass around here.  The drink sounds wicked! 🤯 I haven’t been to today’s destination but hope to some day.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list and hats off to everyone celebrating a happy event today.

• Like 23

Good Morning. Thanks for the daily and the lists.

Skyscrapers are becoming more common as available space for buiding deminishes - can't spread out so must build up.

My college colors were blue and white.

I was surprised to learn that food banks have only been around since 1967. Food banks do a lot of good and need our help. There are so many who have lost their jobs due to the covid pandemic - mostly in restaurants and hospitality industries.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 19

Good  morning  to  all. It  is  cool  so  far  this  morning and  it  was  very  nice  for  dog  walking.Interesting  days are  noted  and  I  hope  Lazy  Mom's  Day  means mom  gets  a  rest. We  have  been  to  Bordeaux  and  loved  the  overnight  stay  docked  downtown.  However,  I  think this  is  another  port....

The  water  was  pumped  out  of  our  basement  by  our  plumber  late  last  night . The hot  water  heater  was  not  damaged,thank  goodness. My DSIL was bailing  water  almost  all  day but  he  managed  to  get  the vacant  apartment  in  the  basement  dry as  well. We  had  power and  internet at  least but  there  are  many who  are  still  without.

Tana  and  I  will  make  our  PT  visit  later  today and  I  am  hoping  for positive  signs  for  her. There  were  so  many  flooded/abandoned cars  on  our  local  highways  that  people  could  not  travel  very  well.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 7

Good morning everyone. I’ve not met too many lazy moms . Love today’s quote. Thinking about skyscrapers just reminds me of 9/11 and we were living in NY at the time and DH was in NYC when it happened.

I am happy to say I am much better this morning after my fall in the dark the other night. Never going to wander around in the dark again. I had to cancel my hygienist appointment yesterday only to find out she couldn’t get to work because the roads were flooded and the office had no power anyway.

This am I go to the podiatrist and hope all the roads to get there are open.

Stay safe everyone.

Carol

• Like 29

Good morning, everyone.

It is another chilly start to the day here in northeastern Ohio.  I broke down and turned the furnace on last night.  My college colors were maroon and gold.  I never liked them so didn't invest in any t-shirts or sweatshirts.  Moms do need a day every once in a while to be lazy.  They have a high pressure job.  

I'm planning another quiet day in my cocoon.   I am going to start to pack in earnest.

Today's meal is a good one.  I suppose the technique can be used on other varieties of fish.   The first recipe has an interesting twist as the fish is "breaded" in potato chips.  The second is a more traditional treatment.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/185561/fried-bass/

58107879_friedbass2.jpg.a7b8e5a1cb8be24837df916d7cdd4437.jpg

https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/pan-fried-bass-0

1631372446_friedbass3.jpg.755612fbefab5068a0e647f86f88b7bf.jpg

Edited by dfish
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 6

8 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

The  water  was  pumped  out  of  our  basement  by  our  plumber  late  last  night . The hot  water  heater  was  not  damaged,thank  goodness. My DSIL was bailing  water  almost  all  day but  he  managed  to  get  the vacant  apartment  in  the  basement  dry as  well. We  had  power and  internet at  least but  there  are  many who  are  still  without.

Tana  and  I  will  make  our  PT  visit  later  today and  I  am  hoping  for positive  signs  for  her. There  were  so  many  flooded/abandoned cars  on  our  local  highways  that  people  could  not  travel  very  well

Glad the basements are now pumped out and no serious damage 👍 

Good luck with the appointment for Tana today.  Hopefully roads are open and you can get there safely.

2 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

I am happy to say I am much better this morning after my fall in the dark the other night. Never going to wander around in the dark again. 

That’s good news indeed, Carol and a relief. 👍 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich!

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy! Morning Dailyite family. Busy morning here. I am trying Debbie’s recipe for that dense, moist Icelandic brown bread. It is now happily baking in my oven. 7 hours to go! The one thing I will say is that the recipe states to pour the batter into the prepared pans, but the dough was so dense, I had to spoon it in.  I will report the results tomorrow. 

I put my workout gear on for the first time in almost 2 months. Never thought I would ever be excited to do that. Off for my first PT session. Will check in later. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Penley Cabernet Sauvignon Coonawarra Phoenix 2016

All released vintages of this Australian Cabernet Sauvignon have excellent ratings, so you might prefer to pick up a bottle of the 2019 vintage. Probably easier to find, has the highest rating of all vintages and I found it for $21.99 online. 
Winemaker Notes

#28 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2018

A bouquet of dark, berried, inky fruit with plenty of sawdusty/smoky oak. Vibrant flavors of fresh blackcurrant and cassis are complemented by bay leaf and toasted oak on the palate. The tannins are well-integrated and fine-grained. This is a complete and harmonious wine with great persistence of flavor. Bright and delicious, speaking of contemporary Coonawarra Cabernet Sauvignon. Ready to drink now or for enjoying the rewards of cellaring for the next 5-7 years.

WS93 Wine Spectator: Dense, with sink-your-teeth-into-them tannins and concentration to the plum, cassis and blackberry flavors. Sage and rosemary accents linger in the background. Strikes the right balance between power and elegance, with grace notes of eucalyptus, black tea and tobacco lingering on the velvety finish. Drink now through 2030.

WW92 Wilfred Wong of Wine.com: Early in the 1990s, I discovered Coonawarra to be as good as the Napa valley growing areas. The 2016 Penley Estate Phoenix is a delicious example of what this Australia area can do. TASTING NOTES: This wine is deep, yet well-balanced and finely-tuned. Its aromas and flavors of aromatic fruits and currants make it beautiful pairing choice with game birds.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3

Good morning all!  It was a chilly 63F when we woke up and decided to walk outside instead of on our treadmill.  So I'm late again today!  Beautiful skies outside.  

Like others I'm a little confused by the port today.  We've been to the city of Bordeaux twice but not to Le Verdon.  Bordeaux is one of my favorite stops in France.

An excellent quote today, and I'm not a fan of fried fish.  I like the Food Bank day - we have a "food pantry" nearby called Five Loaves and Two Fish.  I am neutral on Skyscraper Day (none in our area) and don't believe I've ever met a lazy mom!  College colors day brought to mind the period of time when our two kids were in rival colleges at the exact same time.  We had a dilemma on what colors to display on game days.  Should it be Scarlet and Gray (Ohio State) or Maize and Blue (University of Michigan)???  We solved that problem by buying a diagonally split flag with the Maize M on one half and the Grey O on the other half.  We got it at a flag store in downtown Columbus, Ohio because there must have been a lot of families in the area with that exact same problem.

Thanks to Rich for his Daily each day which I know is a lot of work.  Also the same to Roy who has to work hard to keep up with all our chatter to make up the lists each day.  Prayers for all on the Care list and I will continue to pray for those left behind in Afghanistan and living in fear of execution or retaliation.  Cheers to all on the Celebration list today.  Nice to see it longer than the Care list!

Have a great Friday!

• Like 22

Good afternoon and thank you for today's daily and care reports and celebrations.

Interesting days.

We saw some huge skyscrapers pre-cruise in Dubai including the Burj Khalifa which is the world's highest building and our hotel pre-cruise in  New York.

I think a lazy mam would be a rarity.

Good quote.

Sea Bass is a favourite of mine.

I don't know the drink of the day.

Bordeaux is a nice city.

Prayers 🙏 and best wishes for all who have been affected by storm Ida.

Take care and stay safe.

Graham.

Screenshot_20210903_134739.jpg

• Like 26

College Colors Day seems appropriate as yesterday we received a picture of DH's oldest grandchild arriving at his dorm door for his Freshman year at Framingham State. Due to Covid protocols, he had a scheduled arrival hour and could only have two people accompany him. So, his teen sisters stayed home while parents took him. FSU colors: Black & Gold

image.jpg

• Like 25