I'm too old for this excursion

esther e

I tried to book this for my January cruise, but it got kicked off because of my age.  It looks safe enough, but...........

Code: BOE7  
Prices: Adult 59.00 / Child 59.00 USD Restrictions: Min age: 8
Max age: 75
Duration: 2 hrs 30 mins Departure Times: Jan 09, 09:00 am, Jan 09, 12:00 pm
Set off on an ecological adventure through Lac Bay National Park, Bonaire’s protected wilderness and nature preserve. Rumble through the pristine wetlands aboard an open-air safari bus that’ll bring you close to all the wildlife. See pink flamingos, herons, goats, donkeys, reptiles and many other creatures. This is one of the best-preserved mangrove forests in the Caribbean and the scenery and photo opportunities are simply spectacular. Sit back and soak up the views as you rumble to Lac Cai, a stretch of beach off the beaten path that’s nothing short of paradise. Hop out and cool off in the inviting turquoise waters. Check out the fishermen’s huts along the shore, and the piles of empty conch shells left behind from many a day’s catch. You don’t have to be an outdoor enthusiast to appreciate the unspoiled beauty and peaceful tranquility of a day spent in the wild reaches of Bonaire.
Highlights:
  • Hop into an open-air bus for a sightseeing safari through Bonaire’s unspoiled Lac Bay National Park.
  • Head off-road and through the mangroves to witness all sorts of wildlife, including vibrant pink flamingos.
  • Stop at secluded Lac Cai beach for a refreshing dip in the crystal-clear water.
What to Bring:
  • SeaPass card and photo identification
  • Camera
  • Sun protection
  • Cash/credit cards
  • Towel (from ship)
What to Wear:
  • Walking shoes
  • Hat and sunglasses
  • Swimsuit under cover-up or light clothing
Important Notes:
  • Guests must consider their physical fitness level and medical history when determining whether this tour is appropriate.
  • Pregnant women and guests with back/neck problems should not select this tour.

47 minutes ago, Seany527 said:

So wrong. Plenty of 75 y/o who are more active and fit than some people in their 30s. 

Met a 95 yr old at work yesterday that I'm sure would give me a run for my money.  I had a whole bunch of open heart surgery a few years back at 52, so I can no longer take a lot of excursions for the same reason, hard to hide the scars.  It sucks, so the family gets to go, I don't.  Hard pill to swallow but I'm still here and yay, life is good.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, esther e said:

I tried to book this for my January cruise, but it got kicked off because of my age.  It looks safe enough, but...........

Code: BOE7  
Prices: Adult 59.00 / Child 59.00 USD Restrictions: Min age: 8
Max age: 75
Duration: 2 hrs 30 mins Departure Times: Jan 09, 09:00 am, Jan 09, 12:00 pm
Set off on an ecological adventure through Lac Bay National Park, Bonaire’s protected wilderness and nature preserve. Rumble through the pristine wetlands aboard an open-air safari bus that’ll bring you close to all the wildlife. See pink flamingos, herons, goats, donkeys, reptiles and many other creatures. This is one of the best-preserved mangrove forests in the Caribbean and the scenery and photo opportunities are simply spectacular. Sit back and soak up the views as you rumble to Lac Cai, a stretch of beach off the beaten path that’s nothing short of paradise. Hop out and cool off in the inviting turquoise waters. Check out the fishermen’s huts along the shore, and the piles of empty conch shells left behind from many a day’s catch. You don’t have to be an outdoor enthusiast to appreciate the unspoiled beauty and peaceful tranquility of a day spent in the wild reaches of Bonaire.
Highlights:
  • Hop into an open-air bus for a sightseeing safari through Bonaire’s unspoiled Lac Bay National Park.
  • Head off-road and through the mangroves to witness all sorts of wildlife, including vibrant pink flamingos.
  • Stop at secluded Lac Cai beach for a refreshing dip in the crystal-clear water.
What to Bring:
  • SeaPass card and photo identification
  • Camera
  • Sun protection
  • Cash/credit cards
  • Towel (from ship)
What to Wear:
  • Walking shoes
  • Hat and sunglasses
  • Swimsuit under cover-up or light clothing
Important Notes:
  • Guests must consider their physical fitness level and medical history when determining whether this tour is appropriate.
  • Pregnant women and guests with back/neck problems should not select this tour.

Look for a private tour company or guide who might have different insurance rules. We always (wherever possible) use Toursbylocals. You deal direct with the guide, pay through the "lovely ladies in Canada" , get a full refund if the ship doesn't dock and the guide gets paid after the tour. Used them in Europe, Asia, Japan, China, South America etc and never had a bad guide. We book a guide who has a vehicle which holds 6 to 8 and share with one other couple on the Roll Call. If the vehicle holds 10 we would have a group of 6 - we like the space.

I read the description from another cruise line and basically it said you have to climb on the vehicle from in the water and it might be muddy and slippery.  My mobility isn't wonderful on dry land, so I think I'll forget this one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, esther e said:

I read the description from another cruise line and basically it said you have to climb on the vehicle from in the water and it might be muddy and slippery.  My mobility isn't wonderful on dry land, so I think I'll forget this one.

Maybe there is a tour to the park which does not get into the water and etc. that you might consider?

bon voyage

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, esther e said:

Thank you for carefully considering your safety, which is more important than age. I doubt that a 74 year old would be significantly more nimble, so the age maximum is obviously arbitrary. I have had to give up the idea of learning scuba diving because of medical restrictions even though I personally have never experienced any of the issues that can be associated with my condition. Then again, none of us want the first time to ruin our and everyone elses' vacations. So although I think I would be fine, your decision helps remind me that there are reasons for medical and age restrictions.

• Like 1

I am over 70 and probably in better shape and healthier than many younger.   It doesn’t matter.   We are like old cars that may look good on the outside but you don’t know what is going on inside.

I have had a few friends that were given a great bill of health after visiting the doctor and shortly after dying from a heart attack, or having a stroke 

Overall statics will win, and that is what they base their restrictions on.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, miched said:

I am over 70 and probably in better shape and healthier than many younger.   It doesn’t matter.   We are like old cars that may look good on the outside but you don’t know what is going on inside.

I have had a few friends that were given a great bill of health after visiting the doctor and shortly after dying from a heart attack, or having a stroke 

Overall statics will win, and that is what they base their restrictions on.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Much like gravity, getting old is undefeated....

Cruise on.  

Insurance underwriters look a broad categories, not individuals. Max Verstappen, who has led the 2021 Formula One championship for much of the season, was only 17 when he started racing in F1. In the US, Colton Herta became the youngest-ever winner in IndyCar history at the age of 18. But you can be sure that these two male teenagers paid high car insurance premiums just because of their gender, age and lack of driving experience, a high risk category for the underwriters.

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

Insurance underwriters look a broad categories, not individuals. Max Verstappen, who has led the 2021 Formula One championship for much of the season, was only 17 when he started racing in F1. In the US, Colton Herta became the youngest-ever winner in IndyCar history at the age of 18. But you can be sure that these two male teenagers paid high car insurance premiums just because of their gender, age and lack of driving experience, a high risk category for the underwriters.

🤔 Perhaps those high car insurance premiums could also be because both Max and Colton like to drive really, really fast!

And both seem to be getting into some fender benders lately. 🏎️💥

• Haha 2

I agree- book a private excursion if possible. oh the good ole days before COVID! 

When my mom was in her 80's, oxygen dependent 24/7, we went on some great excursions- all private! 

Good Luck! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, H2OH! said:

I agree- book a private excursion if possible. oh the good ole days before COVID! 

When my mom was in her 80's, oxygen dependent 24/7, we went on some great excursions- all private! 

Good Luck! 

Those private excursion providers were likely able to do that for you because they didn't have any insurance and almost no assets to lose in case you sued them. 

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, miched said:

I have had a few friends that were given a great bill of health after visiting the doctor and shortly after dying from a heart attack, or having a stroke.

My dad, 53, died of a massive heart attack 2 weeks after he was told by his cardiologist that due to his exercise he had a heart like a 19 year old athlete.

My mom, who did no exercise at all, died at 91.

This stuff is really hard for anyone to predict, even on an individual level by an examining physician, and that is why insurance for excursions, etc, is based on broad categories!

Fortunately, my brother and I seem to have inherited Mom's heart....

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

Those private excursion providers were likely able to do that for you because they didn't have any insurance and almost no assets to lose in case you sued them. 

and sometimes very limited ability or resources to provide effective emergency care.

Thanks everyone.  I depend on a rollator for "running around" and know my limits.   I am not taking any chances of ruining a vacation to see a flamingo!  I did book another tour which says I  MIGHT see them.  LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Seany527 said:

So wrong. Plenty of 75 y/o who are more active and fit than some people in their 30s. 

They have local  insurance requirements. Not the cruise line's decision or the vendor's for that matter.

Seems reasonable enough.

You can try to book on board. That may circumvent the age check or they may have a waiver you can sign.

• Like 1