Capt Kate to helm Celebrity Beyond

DevilinaBluDress

Unfortunately the video is no longer available.  I would like to see it, here was it posted?

10 minutes ago, travelwide said:

Does anyone think perhaps seniority and not gender should get first choice at the new ship. With LLP at the helm I guess gender rules. This has no judgement on Kate's abilities.

Not me.  For years seniority was the qualification, which to me only says you have been around a long time.  Who was the 1st Captain of the  Silhouette? Reflection? Apex?  Some Captains seem to be more comfortable with a higher profile Kate, Tasos, Leo, & Dimitrios.  Others don’t,  and bringing out a new ship comes with a degree of social media, marketing and press events.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It’s a good PR marketing move for celebrity.  Needed with this climate and hopefully coming out of Covid etc.  need positive reactions from media n this will bring more press. Could care less who is captain there all really good with celebrity n have had same service with all of them. If anything individual workers make the cruise with their personal touch. 

29 minutes ago, travelwide said:

Does anyone think perhaps seniority and not gender should get first choice at the new ship. With LLP at the helm I guess gender rules. This has no judgement on Kate's abilities.

You literally wouldn't know or care who was taking over on Beyond if it wasn't her or if they had 1 year seniority or 100 years. She'll have 7 years of being fully in charge of Celebrity ships when she takes over Beyond and she had 4 years of being second in command before that. Personally, I'd call that very senior. And she's been captain of Edge for a couple years now which is the same ship class making her the most qualified to be in charge of Beyond.

Sorry that she's not a white haired old man like you think is needed for a modern cruise ship. Maybe those guys should use hair dye.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, travelwide said:

Why?  Does a older male with seniority make the best captain?   In my opinion your post is a judgement on Kate’s ability.  

Edited by Oville
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, travelwide said:

No!  Neither should be a factor. Performance, Leadership, Evaluations, Continuing Education/Training etc.  You don't put a vessel worth millions in the hands of someone just because they have seniority or allow you to brag!

LLP has to reach goals and be evaluated on performance.  She isn't going to risk her own future endorsing anyone less than the BEST.

Gender, seniority and even race may rule in low, low levels of responsibility.  Where the risk is minimal.

Personally I have often found that the weakest candidates are the most senior. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I am Beyond overjoyed and very happy for her!  Looking forward to a TA in the near future, along with making so many more memories! 

Congratulations Captain Kate with your new assignment!

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Tasos is my favorite

Who was the Captain on the Eclipse that couldn’t dock in Chile and spent a long time at sea before finally docking in San Diego.  I’m not asking this to be sarcastic but I thought it was Tasos.  It didn’t end well as I recall. There were Covid deaths and spread from that cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oville said:

Who was the Captain on the Eclipse that couldn’t dock in Chile and spent a long time at sea before finally docking in San Diego.  I’m not asking this to be sarcastic but I thought it was Tasos.  It didn’t end well as I recall. There were Covid deaths and spread from that cruise.

The Captain was Leo. 

10 hours ago, travelwide said:

Congratulation to Captain Kate.  This is a choice assignment for one of Celebrity's junior captains.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, travelwide said:

No.  Sorry you are way off base.  But what is the role of seniority anyway?  Why do you think this assignment has anything to do with gender?  Her specific experience and track record is the key.  Captain Kate has the actual experience running an E-Class ship. It makes complete sense that she goes to the Beyond.  Would you feel comfortable boarding a new highly technological jet if a male captain with seniority -but no direct experience on it- was placed ahead of a female (or male) that had specifically trained on it and had direct experience flying it?  Why in 2021 is gender even any type of issue at all?  Nonsense.

Edited by TeeRick
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2