Thanksgiving turkey meal?

traceytd

Their Thanksgiving meal is about like you would get at Denny's or any "regular" diner. Not impressed. Also, Princess has absolutely no idea how to make pumpkin pie. It's mind boggling. We ate our Thanksgiving turkey dinner sitting by the bar overlooking the pool. The buffet had everything the dining room had and we were able to get what we wanted rather than what they dished up.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, traceytd said:

I’ve never been on a Thanksgiving cruise. Do they serve turkey dinners?
anyone have pictures of the meals or decorations?

We were on the Coral in 2019 for a full transit and they were all decorated for Thanksgiving and did serve a full turkey dinner.

20191128_184505.jpg

20191128_184518.jpg

20191128_184535.jpg

IMG_20191128_122044759.jpg

• Like 3

We have cruised for countless Thanksgivings. There is always a special meal in the Dining Room.  Some are better meals than others but the ship is always decorated with special displays in the Piazza, the Dining Room and the Buffet.  I am always Thankful to be cruising!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Thrak said:

Their Thanksgiving meal is about like you would get at Denny's or any "regular" diner. Not impressed. Also, Princess has absolutely no idea how to make pumpkin pie. It's mind boggling. We ate our Thanksgiving turkey dinner sitting by the bar overlooking the pool. The buffet had everything the dining room had and we were able to get what we wanted rather than what they dished up.

I would sort of disagree w you but in a negative sense.  I have had turkey on Princess and a turkey dinner although not a Thanksgiving turkey dinner at Denny's.  Denny's was much better.  

DON

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, CruzeQueen2 said:

Be sure to ask your head waiter a day or two in advance. Having missed out on a Canadian Thanksgiving meal, we were told we could have requested something a day or two in advance. Try that!

why did u miss out on your Canadian Thanksgiving meal

2 hours ago, Coral said:

The turkey is sliced turkey breast. It is a bland meal. The pumpkin pie is not good. Sometimes they have another pumpkin dessert that is decent.

I agree with you...

But, they usually claim to have roasted XX actuals turkeys to serve in the dining rooms.

They probably even have (one) demo roast turkey to bring out to show to anyone who questions

turkey vs. turkey roll...

2 hours ago, Coral said:

We usually order something other than turkey!

Roasting a turkey is probably in my skill-set.

I'd rather have something like beef wellington, chopini, etc,  that I enjoy, but take much more preperation time

than I would ever invest.

To me, that's one of the points of cruising ... eat things that I don't usually eat at home.

Turkey doesn't qualify...

• Like 2

tough crowd in here. My last Turkey dinner at sea was on the Grand  @ 17°50'57.8"N 139°19'59.8"W.  in 9000 feet of water.  Started the evening off with a nice Tanqueray martini, the proceeded to vines where we partook in a Laboure Roi Pommard pinot. Upon arrival at Botticelli dinning room that was elegantly decorated with the appropriate decor. We soon found ourselves seated at our table of eight at which time the remainder of our  Laboure Roi Pommard pinot was delivered from vines.  Certainly not enough for our table companions to share, so we summoned the head water d Holmes Chamberlin and asked for another bottle of pinot and two of white varietals  of his choosing. The evening menu was simple, turkey with all the trimmings or regular fare. It had been a long while since my last Thanksgiving dinner at sea so, I went with adventurous side and ordered the holiday feast.

Mr. Chamberlin returned with a wonderful selection of white varietals that would please the most concerned palate. At the same time the assistant waiter appeared with sixteen additional wine glasses. Our waiter place a colorful holiday center piece at our table for good measure. The atmosphere was light and jovial. 

Our glasses were filled again after our first course, which ranged from a chilled squash  soup to  red snapper ceviche.  In the midst of our conversation, I found out that one of our table guests grew up on a turkey farm. What wonderful stories he told of his childhood days, after which I caught the attention of our assistant waiter and asked if it was possible to get a drum stick.  He smiled and said " I'll put in that request sir."   When the main arrived it was evenly split.  Some quest had ordered from the regular fare and the other half went with the Thanksgiving event menu. 

Usually the plate looks larger then the items presented on it however; the holiday feast barely fit.  Large moist generous slices of white meat, stuffing with diced apple, pecan and celery. Mashed sweet potatoes on a kale leaf with minced currant dancing on the edges. Fressssh green  beans sauteed in olive oil with sliced almonds, sliced sauteed mushrooms in garlic and white wine with fresh parsley. Jellied cranberry sauce, turkey gravy in silver boat. All that was on my right.  Then it appeared, placed right in front of me, as if sent from heaven. The largest drum stick I ever saw. There was nothing on the plate but the drum stick on a bed of parsley.   Laughter followed as I gazed upon the four pound behemoth. The sous chef standing behind me leaned in and whispered, "normally we use them for soup stock ... have at it" .

There was no room in my middle age girth for dessert. And I found that to be annoying as the pumpkin pie with fresh whipped cream looked appetizing especially when one of the guest had Baileys poured on top and my wife followed up with the pecan pie and Disaronno float. All in all just the experience was memorable . 

Edited by c-boy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Am I the only one to think that Turkey is the most overrated meat out there?

Turkey is the traditional meal at Christmas for us Brits,  and almost without exception, it is dry and flavourless,  hence the need for "pig in blankets", cranberry sauce,  exotic gravy etc, just to nake the meal palatable.

14 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Turkey is the traditional meal at Christmas for us Brits,  and almost without exception, it is dry and flavourless,  hence the need for "pig in blankets", cranberry sauce,  exotic gravy etc, just to nake the meal palatable.

do "y'all" have fried turkey ??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

I eat turkey nearly 3 days out of every week!  It's one of my favs ... and my younger brother makes an extra bird just so we all have leftovers to take home.  Ahhhhh ... I just love it!!  

• Like 6

you sir, need a new cook  👨‍🍳

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, wowzz said:

I think you've been very unlucky in your turkey dinners. Correctly prepared, roast turkey is flavorful, moist, and delicious. Badly prepared - well, it's bad.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, traceytd said:

why did u miss out on your Canadian Thanksgiving meal

We were on a cruise from Vancouver to CA coastal, on board for Canadian Thanksgiving  which came and went without a peep. Not offerings on the menu resembling turkey dinner. When a different guest expressed his disappointment to the head waiter over this, that's when I heard the advice. When you want something specific in the dining room, you can request it - a day or two in advance. Makes sense to me. Now I know! The head waiter was very polite, told the guest - almost anything is possible.

5 hours ago, c-boy said:

tough crowd in here. My last Turkey dinner at sea was on the Grand  @ 17°50'57.8"N 139°19'59.8"W.  in 9000 feet of water.  Started the evening off with a nice Tanqueray martini, the proceeded to vines where we partook in a Laboure Roi Pommard pinot. Upon arrival at Botticelli dinning room that was elegantly decorated with the appropriate decor. We soon found ourselves seated at our table of eight at which time the remainder of our  Laboure Roi Pommard pinot was delivered from vines.  Certainly not enough for our table companions to share, so we summoned the head water d Holmes Chamberlin and asked for another bottle of pinot and two of white varietals  of his choosing. The evening menu was simple, turkey with all the trimmings or regular fare. It had been a long while since my last Thanksgiving dinner at sea so, I went with adventurous side and ordered the holiday feast.

Mr. Chamberlin returned with a wonderful selection of white varietals that would please the most concerned palate. At the same time the assistant waiter appeared with sixteen additional wine glasses. Our waiter place a colorful holiday center piece at our table for good measure. The atmosphere was light and jovial. 

Our glasses were filled again after our first course, which ranged from a chilled squash  soup to  red snapper ceviche.  In the midst of our conversation, I found out that one of our table guests grew up on a turkey farm. What wonderful stories he told of his childhood days, after which I caught the attention of our assistant waiter and asked if it was possible to get a drum stick.  He smiled and said " I'll put in that request sir."   When the main arrived it was evenly split.  Some quest had ordered from the regular fare and the other half went with the Thanksgiving event menu. 

Usually the plate looks larger then the items presented on it however; the holiday feast barely fit.  Large moist generous slices of white meat, stuffing with diced apple, pecan and celery. Mashed sweet potatoes on a kale leaf with minced currant dancing on the edges. Fressssh green  beans sauteed in olive oil with sliced almonds, sliced sauteed mushrooms in garlic and white wine with fresh parsley. Jellied cranberry sauce, turkey gravy in silver boat. All that was on my right.  Then it appeared, placed right in front of me, as if sent from heaven. The largest drum stick I ever saw. There was nothing on the plate but the drum stick on a bed of parsley.   Laughter followed as I gazed upon the four pound behemoth. The sous chef standing behind me leaned in and whispered, "normally we use them for soup stock ... have at it" .

There was no room in my middle age girth for dessert. And I found that to be annoying as the pumpkin pie with fresh whipped cream looked appetizing especially when one of the guest had Baileys poured on top and my wife followed up with the pecan pie and Disaronno float. All in all just the experience was memorable . 

I was on that cruise. It was delightful and a "Grand" time was had by all. After a wonderful supper, our group adjourned to the Vista Lounge for the Marriage Game and further shenanigans. Looking forward to future Thanksgivings at sea.❣️

5 hours ago, wowzz said:

Might be the chef, not the bird... 😉

• Like 2

One Thanksgiving, I tried a little adventure, the "Martha Stewart Thanksgiving Box" thinking that everything would be ready, just throw it together and warm it, call it good. First hint was when I opened box one of two and saw a loaf of bread; my thought was "I don't recall toast being on the menu". Yeah, that was for the croutons. It turned out to be a labor intensive but delicious meal that included a recipe for "Thanksgiving Leftover Pie". Sounds scary, but is delicious!

In a pie crust, layer stuffing, turkey, roast veggies (carrots, green beans and shallots), drizzle gravy, then cranberry sauce and top with your mashed potatoes; bake at 350 for 45 minutes. 

• Like 3