Do you recommend getting the booster shot prior to cruise?

go.without.you

I have received 2 shots of Pfizer with the last one being in April. My cruise departs next week and I'm wondering if I should get the booster before then. I take my pre cruise Covid test on the 17th. Everything I've read says the vax will not give you a positive test. Thoughts?

I think it depended on your age.  Booster shots are available, but I believe the 55 + closed should go first, given they're the highest risk.  That said, I don't believe the booster shots are required to cruise, like the 2 shots are for Pfizer or Moderna (J&J is one shot).

26 minutes ago, go.without.you said:

I have received 2 shots of Pfizer with the last one being in April. My cruise departs next week and I'm wondering if I should get the booster before then. I take my pre cruise Covid test on the 17th. Everything I've read says the vax will not give you a positive test. Thoughts?

I had the booster on Monday and received a negative test result on Friday. You can't catch the virus from the vaccine. I did have a reaction but I was prepared because I had read that your reaction to the booster might be the same as your reaction to shot #2.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, go.without.you said:

Have you consulted with your personal physician?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We had our boosters as soon as the CDC approved the shots. I had less of a reaction (mild muscle pain) than with the 2nd dose. Hubby, however, ran 102 temp and was unable to stand, walk, or sit without leaning and falling. He had. no reaction to doses 1 or 2, and did not react to the booster for  almost 24 hours. A couple of doses of Tylenol took care of his problem.

That said, we expect to get a 2nd booster in April or May  before our July and August cruises if available.

Edited by Glendakayself

My personal read of the booster situation, NOT TO BE INTREPRETED AS MEDICAL ADVICE:

• Those who are significantly immunocompromised should have received a booster already, might need another one, and more after that
  • Those over 65 should get a booster if it's been 6+ months since their last shot
  • Those who received the Johnson & Johnson vaccine should get a booster if it's been 2+ months since their last shot
  • Those who have had breakthrough cases don't need a booster
  • For everyone else, it depends on a careful read of the risks, rewards, and other factors.  Older people with lots of comorbidities and plenty of exposure to potentially infected people should go get the booster ASAP.  Younger, healthier people who live in a cave... not so much.

We had our booster about 12 days prior to our last cruise.   We both experienced weakness and being very tired the next day but that was the only side effect.   The checkin people commented on how pleased she was to see passengers with the booster.

I would really recommend you getting the booster and a flu.   They are doing them at the same time at most clinics.

• Like 2

I agree…..get the booster…in some of our ports this week we noticed masks were required to wear into town but once there it was very lax.    They said the ships tours were limited capacity, but we did not see that.  Cruisers were packed into the tour boats and the buses.  We both had ours a week out with no negative reactions…it’s good to be on the sea again….

Yes, get the booster but get your packing done before you go for the vaccine!  DH got his about 4 weeks ago because he is immuno compromised.  They have now started with the general public and I get mine on Tuesday.  We got 2 shots of Pfizer and Moderna was recommended for the booster.  DH was quite sick for about 4 days...high fever, aches, no appetite etc.

My husband and I (76 & 66) had the Moderna booster a week ago. (Our 2nd Moderna vaccine was in February.) He had a sore arm for a day, and I had a sore, swollen, red arm for several days (but I get that with the flu shot). We’re traveling for Thanksgiving, so we wanted the extra protection.

I might be wrong but I thought you had to have had your vaccination at least 14 days before your cruise and that includes the booster.

I might be interpreting it wrong but I would check.  

you can get the booster and flu shot the same day but it is wiser to wait a few days.   If you get both the same day you won’t know what one is causing any side effects. 

Happy cruising 🇺🇸🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched

12 minutes ago, miched said:

I might be wrong but I thought you had to have had your vaccination at least 14 days before your cruise and that includes the booster.

you can get the booster and flu shot the same day but it is wiser to wait a few days.   If you get both the same day you won’t know what one is causing any side effects. 

Happy cruising 🇺🇸🚢🇺🇸🌅

The 14 days apply to your second shot, at which time you are considered fully vaccinated. As the booster shot isn't a current requirement, it doesn't matter when or if you've had one or whether it has kicked in.

As for the flu shot and booster together, health officials here recommend doing so as there is no negative interaction. I suppose part of the thought process is if you wake up the next day feeling lousy or running a fever, does it really matter which shot did it? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, miched said:

Happy cruising 🇺🇸🚢🇺🇸🌅

Healthcare professionals where I live are actually recommending both shots be administered the same day, as long as you qualify for the booster shot and it’s been six months since your second covid shot.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

The 14 days apply to your second shot, at which time you are considered fully vaccinated. As the booster shot isn't a current requirement, it doesn't matter when or if you've had one or whether it has kicked in.

As for the flu shot and booster together, health officials here recommend doing so as there is no negative interaction. I suppose part of the thought process is if you wake up the next day feeling lousy or running a fever, does it really matter which shot did it? 

I THINK that is what Celebrity is trying to say but the wording could be better. The below is from their website FAQs:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/faqs#testing-and-screening-faqs

Are COVID-19 Booster Vaccines required to sail on Celebrity Cruises?

COVID-19 Booster Vaccine shots are not required to sail on Celebrity Cruises. However, guests who have received 3 or more doses of a COVID-19 vaccine, due to booster regimens, will be considered fully vaccinated if at least one of these conditions is satisfied:

• At least 2 of the doses are Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca, Sinovac or Sinopharm administered at least 28 days apart. The final dose must be completed at least 14 days before sailing.
  • At least 1 dose is Johnson & Johnson, completed at least 14 days before sailing.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, miched said:

Happy cruising 🇺🇸🚢🇺🇸🌅

Nope.    Vaccination is considered the first 2 shots.   I checked when I had my booster 13 days per-cruise and  was advised that a booster was a booster and would only be considered if used as mixed dose vaccination to have 2 approved vaccinations within the specified time.  I showed my vac card with the booster and was praised for it. 

I had my Flu shot on two different days but my daughter had both on the same day at the advise of her doctor and no reactions from either.  

• Like 1