The Daily for Sunday December 05, 2021

richwmn

Today is International Volunteer Day, Repeal Day, and National Communicate With Your Kids Day

The best path through life is the highway. - Henri Frederic Amiel

Meal suggestion for today - Lentil Bolognese

Drink of the Day - Lynchburg Lemonade

Wine of the day - Nino Franco Valdobbiadene Prosecco Superiore Brute - Italy - Sparkling

Destination of the Day - Kodiak Alaska US

Ships with Passengers

Castries, St Lucia Island
Rotterdam 08:00 - 16:00

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida
Eurodam 07:00 - 16:00
Nieuw Statendam 07:00 - 16:00

Half Moon Cay BH
Nieuw Amsterdam

San Diego, California
Koningsdam 07:00 - 16:00

Ships without Passengers

At Sea Caribbean
Noordam Destination Great Stirrup Cay

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

La Paz MX
Westerdam Anchorage

Long Beach CA US
Zuiderdam Anchorage

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Anchorage

1205NAmericaE.thumb.png.a9cf441fa0452c3823519259f9f26ace.png

1205NAmericaW.thumb.png.d5f151ccb9e3be3cbb920c0f6aec9ac5.png

1205Europe.thumb.png.65263691ce7f7ace68db17e607d9f718.png

• Like 25
  • Thanks 12

Good morning everyone and thanks for the daily report.  Interesting collection of days today.  Can’t say that I agree with today’s quote at all. The meal suggestion sounds interesting and today’s drink sounds like it would be refreshing.  Haven’t been to today’s port and look forward to seeing the photos. Taking Amtrak’s Downeaster to Freeport later this morning to do some Christmas shopping with an overnight there. Prayers for everyone on our prayer list and cheers to everyone celebrating a happy event today!

• Like 25

The gremlins are back🤬. Wish I could figure out a pattern. 

4DD4B0DF-446C-4F5B-A7F4-A54493935655.jpeg.3c78f88897ff2fd976209c72a576ef49.jpeg

Off to the gym. Then this afternoon the team arrives to help me put up & decorate the tree. Then we will go out for dinner. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Nino Franco Valdobbiadene Prosecco Superiore Brut

This dry Prosecco has excellent reviews and a very reasonable price.  Several online distributors with prices starting at $16.99. This one is going on my list.

Winemaker Notes

#1 Wine Enthusiast Top 100 Wines of 2019

Made in the heart of the Prosecco DOCG zone, Nino Franco’s Rustico Prosecco Superiore is unquestionably the world’s finest value in a high-quality sparkling wine. Made from 100% Glera (traditionally called Prosecco), the non-vintage, light-bodied Rustico offers gorgeously elegant notes of pear, citrus and honeysuckle. The texture is creamy, soft and delicate with persistent effervescence.  

The word ‘Rustico’ dates back to an old winemaking tradition where Prosecco was made using a short second fermentation in the bottle and leaving the sediments in the wine. Although no longer the technique, the name ‘Rustico’ has remained as a reflection of quality and tradition.

Pair with charcuterie, risotto, vegetables, seafood and delicate pasta dishes.

WE94 Wine Enthusiast
This lovely sparkler never disappoints. It's fragrant, with delicate scents of white spring flowers and white stone fruits while the dry, refreshing palate offers ripe pear, apple and white peach alongside a hint of fennel seed. An elegant perlage and fresh acidity provide the backdrop.  Editors' Choice
JS92 James Suckling
Fresh, citrusy nose with lightly candied lemons and a hint of sherberty mineral. Lively froth that then reveals a good dose of fresh cream. This is what you look for in a good Prosecco. Frothy, creamy and fun.
WW91 Wilfred Wong of Wine.com
One of the top sparkling deals in the world, the non-vintage Nino Franco Rustico Valdobbiadene Prosecco Superiore exhibits a beautifully refined mousse and fresh, tart apple flavors. The wine's crisp finish pairs it perfectly with delicate appetizers. 
W&S90 Wine & Spirits
The golden color and peach nectar scent predict this to be rich, but a potent, nutty savor keeps it balanced. It finishes clean, tight and grippy - a mouthwatering aperitif.
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 2

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Interesting collection of days.   A big thank you to Volunteers.  Communicating with your kids should be an everyday event.

I disagree with the quote.

I'll pass on the meal.  Hope the drink is tasty.  Thanks for the wine description @cat shepard

Prayers for everyone.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day.  Stay safe.

• Like 20

Thank you for the Sunday Daily, Rich.  I have not kids but appreciate parents who communicate positively with theirs.  I appreciate Volunteer Day and assume Repeal Day refers to US Prohibition.  I'll pass on the lentils.  Interesting quote by Amiel.  Kodiak is lovely, been there on Crystal and on the ferry system.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Seasick Sailor’s friend Walker wthdrawing from cancer treatments
Eruptions in Las Palmas and Indonesia
kakalina with spreading lung cancer in hospice
SrLouisCruisers friend John with end stage melanoma
Strength for smitty34877 and tana
summer slope awaiting biopsy results
From the rotation:
NextOne  DDIL with long haul Covid
My travel agent recovering from esophageal blockage
Grapau27 awaiting MOHS surgery 24 Decenber with pre-test 21 Decenber
SrLouisCruiser awaiting MOSE 2/21

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Hannukah through 12/6
5 BHB with passengers
Bon Voyage  Heartgrove Koningsdam and kb4683 Regal Princess to 12/9
Front Line Health Care Workers            
6 days for NCTribeFan and JAM37 (NA to 12/23)
Bon Voyage Quartzite Cruiser (Koningsdam to 12/12) and Sea Viewer )Allure OTS to 12/19
 Lynanken & Lindaler (Rotterdam) , Cruisin Terri (Rivie ra to 12/13), and  kb4683 (Regal Princess to 12/9) at sea
A new photo of Baby Camila
StLouisCruiser in Orlando with Ren
Diagnosis and treatment plan for Jose
highland cruiser in Vallarta
Konibngsdan Staff Captain Sabine - officially onboard & introduced. - Our first female staff captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 24
  • Thanks 10

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Sunday smile 🙂 

Great collection of days!  Hurrah for volunteers & it’s important to communicate with your children every day.  I know lots of Daily-ites appreciate Repeal day - the day prohibition was ended and alcoholic beverages were legal again 😉 

Not sure about today’s quote.  I’ll pass on the meal today, thanks.  DH likes lentils but me?  Nope.  Today’s wine sounds great !

@StLouisCruisershappy to hear your team won but very sorry to hear of the violence & rough play 😔. I hope those 2 players injured are ok today 🤞 

It did snow last night - not enough for my plow to come so I will be doing some shovelling today before the forecast rain and deep freeze comes 😔 Oh well, it is pretty when it’s like this and reminds me Christmas is coming 🙂 

EC8900E4-2E64-4708-9FAA-9B95BBA61DBD.jpeg.8c64e6ba25c50a9e1b4f03c894f12a4f.jpeg

No appointments or errands today so Sunday will truly be a day of rest and catch up in the house.  Not going anywhere exciting so I’m starting to feel like this

8475CE14-5860-4F21-9A4A-7DE062692FF8.jpeg.5eb455fb1c7c094248792a4a46dc38c3.jpeg

Prayer for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Sunday, everyone !!!!!

940D4CE2-3402-4D6A-BC97-11A67A103A72.jpeg.54e800cc9f8cea48a15dc6aecc2a103f.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 30
  • Haha 12

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Yay for volunteers - many public events wouldn't happen without those hard working individuals.  Thank goodness for the Repeal of Prohibition!  LOL  Our son texts and sends photos to us almost daily, which we really appreciate.

The cold is settling in here on the "frozen tundra" - right now it's -14C and we're expecting an overnight low of -25.  Although it's dark, I can see it's snowing, so that means we'll be out with the shovels in a few hours.  If it's a dry snow, and there's enough of it, we might get the electric snowblower out; if it's wet, it will be too much for the blower and we'll have to shovel it off - time will tell.  Right now I'll enjoy my jammies and tea.

@StLouisCruisersI'm happy to hear your team won, but wow, the violence - that's ridiculous!  

Looking through recipes today, I think I'll make a pan of butter tart slice - one of my Mom's recipes that is a family favourite.  I can't make a decent pastry, so this is my saving grace.  I might also make a batch of cracked sugar cookies - they always look nice on the plate.  There's a major football game on this afternoon, so I'll see how much time I've got - the cookies might wait for another day.

Neither of us is a fan of lentils (admittedly, we're carnivores), so today's menu will be passed by in favour of something else.  I've got chicken breasts thawing in the fridge for tonight that will be turned into chicken cordon bleu, served along with grilled asparagus and garlic mashed potatoes.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  We'll clink the glasses together to celebrate all on the happy list.  Stay well, be safe, wash your hands and wear your masks.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry 

• Like 29

9 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good afternoon from Langley Castle.

Thank you for today's daily Rich and Roy for the lists.

Interesting days.

Nice food and wine.

Prayers for everyone on the care list.

Graham.

IMG_20211205_122540.jpg

IMG_20211205_122935.jpg

IMG_20211205_123023.jpg

IMG_20211205_123058.jpg

Beautiful  place and people! So festive 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone. Nice collection of days. We try to communicate with our children all the time because it’s so important to keep the lines of communication open no matter how old they are. A big shout out for volunteers who are so important.

Good friends of ours are leaving for Florida tomorrow so tonight we are having dinner with four couples at their home to say goodbye. We would usually be leaving now too but not this year.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 21

Good Morning from a cloudy but warm day at the beach

Volunteering is very important. I was taught as a very young child, "it doesnt  hurt to help out". My mothers quote.

Sont agree with todays quote.  Seems strange to me.

We were in Kodiak in 2014 in the 14 day Amsterdam. We did a private excursion. It was quite nice, saw a few bears in the forest. We kept a very respectful distance. It was a rainy and cool day but we still enjoyed it.

DH arrived home last nite. Yeah!   DS is coming this AM to hang the lights.  Another  Yeah!

@StLouisCruisers Sandi- Glad the team won, but that type of behavior is not acceptable.  I hope the kids are OK.  

Stay Safe and enjoy today

• Like 22

Good morning  everyone. I can only imagine the celebrations on the actual Repeal Day.I remember my grandfather telling tales about speakeasy  places around here and in the Bronx in the Twenties. 

I don't  know what life would be like without communicating with children.DD and DSIL are right next door and through the magic of technology  we "speak" and view  DS and family. We hope to be able to travel to spend Christmas  with them this year.

Lentils are on the menu often here  and I look forward to the recipe.I am still trying to figure out the quote and have not been to the port.

Thanks to all for the nice comments  about our Camilla.She is growing,smiling and indeed brings great joy and hope to us all.Her at home PT and OT folks are hoping she will start being able to roll and sit up soon. She does hold her head up when prone propped on her elbows but has not gone further.Yet!

Terry

• Like 26

Good morning all.  I managed a group of teen age volunteers at the Arts Center in town for several years.  Sundays were Funday,  and a group of 15-30 would show up and assist parents and kids with registration, directions and art activities.  I did appreciate them so much!  

When I was a teenager, I used to volunteer for the Wildlife association.  My bosses taught me how to run the film projector, and then the local Audubon group adopted me to run their projector.  Hmmm, now I know where I got my love of birds...LOL.

It's amazing how the years fly by...

Volunteering at any age is a good thing.  It keeps you involved in the world, you meet new people, and get to enjoy new things.  People are grateful for what you do, and even if you don't get paid, it's a job that you enjoy.  Theatres need volunteers, symphonies need volunteers, museums need volunteers.  If you find you have too much time on your hands, get out and lend a hand.  (did I tell you, I worked for an Arts Center?  LOL)

Cant wait to see photos of Kodiak, we are going there in 2023.  Cruise of a life time for us.

• Like 23

Good morning, everyone.

It is looking like it is going to be on the warm side today for December in northeast Ohio.  I'll take it.  I went out to the quilt store yesterday to make my final payment for a quilting retreat in May.  It will be a very small group and we'll be very spread out.  The retreat is near Findley Lake, New York, close to Chautauqua Lake.  I'm looking forward to different scenery.

I think I'd like today's drink, but it probably has way too much sugar in it for me.  I'll give a pass on today's meal as I am definitely a carnivore.  Although lentils are healthy for  you, when you combine them with the pasta the dish becomes carb heavy.  You can combine them with the zucchini noodles, but I really do prefer the meat sauce.  

The first recipe is made with black lentils and uses tomato paste to achieve the richness of color and flavor.   https://www.feastingathome.com/lentil-bolognese/

Lentil-Bolognese-16.thumb.jpg.516c4df04b1c20f4d88a0ed6da133c0d.jpg

This one is made with red lentils.  https://www.ihearteating.com/lentil-bolognese-recipe/

Lentil-Bolognese-800px-I-Heart-Eating-1.thumb.jpg.9a40a6e08ddcd3896abe4ad79d55f868.jpg

And here is one with zucchini for noodles:  https://minimalistbaker.com/zucchini-pasta-with-lentil-bolognese/

151878852_lentillbolognesewithzucchini.thumb.jpg.9b4da5f507863df4b66a6818984c14f3.jpg

Enjoy the day!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 8

Dear Rich and Daily-ites. Blessed Sunday! I'm so thankful for our Daily. 

I volunteered at our hospital in Idaho. About 18 months in ICU, a few months in ER, the last 10 years in the beautiful gift shop.

Repeal day. Now that should be on Roy's celebration list!

We have been to Kodiak I believe 3 times on HAL. It was the 2 week sailings and one of our favorite stops. I lost so many pictures when I did not heed the warning that my pictures needed additional space on my computer. But I will look.

Last night I made a delicious pot roast. Tonight Allen wants hot beef sandwiches with gravy. I'll have leftover chicken. We both like red lentils. I add a bunch of chopped veggies, shredded chicken, and chicken stock and it makes a creamy soup. 

Not crazy about regular lentils or today's recipes though.

Last night was a turn over.. Allen snoring on my left, I turn over.. our little house guest is snoring on my right, I turn over.. 

Wishing y'all a Blessed, Prayerful day.

• Like 16
  • Haha 8

My first visit to Kodiak was in 2007 on the Alaska ferry system.  It is the transfer point between the Tustenema which visits Dutch Harbor and the Kennicott which crosses the Gulf to Juneau.  I had a day there between ships and took a flightseeing trip to view the bears.  It turned out that I was the only passenger that trip that spoke English and I was delegated to sit up front in the co-pilot's seat. 

IMG_0271.thumb.JPG.0ea98c097de298c0d169e746521ea384.JPG

Ar the outpost we got surprisingly close to the bears under the guide's watchful eye.

IMG_0273.thumb.JPG.bd7ff0dd4e9470be4f90c1ab3c352d29.JPG

Roy

• Like 32
  • Thanks 4

52 minutes ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone.

It is looking like it is going to be on the warm side today for December in northeast Ohio.  I'll take it.  I went out to the quilt store yesterday to make my final payment for a quilting retreat in May.  It will be a very small group and we'll be very spread out.  The retreat is near Findley Lake, New York, close to Chautauqua Lake.  I'm looking forward to different scenery.

I think I'd like today's drink, but it probably has way too much sugar in it for me.  I'll give a pass on today's meal as I am definitely a carnivore.  Although lentils are healthy for  you, when you combine them with the pasta the dish becomes carb heavy.  You can combine them with the zucchini noodles, but I really do prefer the meat sauce.  

The first recipe is made with black lentils and uses tomato paste to achieve the richness of color and flavor.   https://www.feastingathome.com/lentil-bolognese/

Lentil-Bolognese-16.thumb.jpg.516c4df04b1c20f4d88a0ed6da133c0d.jpg

This one is made with red lentils.  https://www.ihearteating.com/lentil-bolognese-recipe/

Lentil-Bolognese-800px-I-Heart-Eating-1.thumb.jpg.9a40a6e08ddcd3896abe4ad79d55f868.jpg

And here is one with zucchini for noodles:  https://minimalistbaker.com/zucchini-pasta-with-lentil-bolognese/

151878852_lentillbolognesewithzucchini.thumb.jpg.9b4da5f507863df4b66a6818984c14f3.jpg

Enjoy the day!

Also works well over Spagetti squash!

• Like 10