Best and worst food on Celebrity buffet

dgoz

17 hours ago, MarKay525 said:

IMHO, you can skip most of the beautifully presented baked desserts. (And I LOVE desserts!) Cakes, etc. look really pretty, but have little flavor. Save your calories for the goodies at Cafe al Bacio.

I actually like the desserts even though I don't typically eat sweets. They are definitely made in a more European style which won't be to everyone's taste. There is no American Buttercream that will send you running for an insulin pump. They are much lighter on sugar and use coulis and jams instead of American 'flavor' which is usually sugar with more sugar with some extra sugar on top.  

The American bacon they served on the first Edge cruise back in June was just awful. Perhaps they were out of practice but it was not just too chewy. It was borderline raw. It's never great but this was inedible. Maybe this is how they were avoiding being like Carnival and limiting guests bacon intake 🥴

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, LGW59 said:

I'm holding back, truly I am.  When a grown adult asks what I should try at a BUFFET....good night Irene

My intention in starting this thread was simply a bit of non Covid fun as I look forward to my first ever cruise. Sorry not sorry if that is more than you can bear. I've appreciated the responses of those who took time to offer suggestions. Obviously (as a "grown adult") I will sample everything that appeals to me. Honestly don't understand the need to be snide or act superior about a thread soliciting food recommendations. Good night LGW59

• Like 24

9 minutes ago, dgoz said:

My intention in starting this thread was simply a bit of non Covid fun as I look forward to my first ever cruise. Sorry not sorry if that is more than you can bear. I've appreciated the responses of those who took time to offer suggestions. Obviously (as a "grown adult") I will sample everything that appeals to me. Honestly don't understand the need to be snide or act superior about a thread soliciting food recommendations. Good night LGW59

Ignore the haters. Obviously, there are many many "grown adults" who eat at the buffet on Celebrity cruises, otherwise they would not have them. There aren't enough children on Celebrity sailings to justify having a buffet open all day if adults aren't expected to eat there. Also, sometimes, you don't have much of a choice. On port days, the MDR is closed for lunch, so there aren't a ton of other options....

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

Agree!!!  I have always wondered why the deserts in the buffet look so inviting but are usually a big disappointment.  I agree that if we want something better we go to Cafe al Bacio or get a scoop of the ice cream.  Or sometimes the cookies are decent.

I prefer a chocolate martini for my desert.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, dgoz said:

My intention in starting this thread was simply a bit of non Covid fun as I look forward to my first ever cruise. Sorry not sorry if that is more than you can bear. 

Thanks for starting the post I am all for a ‘fun’ post. Also (despite many cruises and buffet visits) there have been items suggested on this post that I haven’t noticed/tried.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Glitterati said:

Breakfast is all about the American items for me as a Brit! Pancakes, waffles, streaky bacon! Love it! I don’t go near the English section for the whole trip 

And my American DH delights in the breakfast choices in the English section. Baked beans for breakfast! 😄 

7 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

A question I have, not to really hi-jack the thread yet here goes, is there a place on any ship which is not Luminae or Blu where one can expect to receive 'proper' wait service for breakfast as I do not really care for buffets, personally. LOL

The MDR is semi-buffet during breakfast.

bon appetit and bon voyage

You probably meant any Celebrity ship, but just in case you did not.  You might want to try Oceania’s Riviera ship.  Full service for breakfast in the GDR and delivered (you have to order at the counter) to your table service outside in Waves.  

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Glitterati said:

I’ll keep an eye out for that! I’m British and love Orange Chicken from Panda Express. We don’t get that over here!!!!

Stand outs for me are the salad stations. A big salad and topped with a piece of fresh grilled chicken/salmon is a lovely lunch. 

Breakfast is all about the American items for me as a Brit! Pancakes, waffles, streaky bacon! Love it! I don’t go near the English section for the whole trip 😂

Well now, I totally agree with the first part of  your post.  We love Panda's Orange Chicken and we miss it so much because although we can cross the US border now, we're not signing up for a PCR to return to Canada after about an hour in the US!  Did you know you can buy a bottle of their Orange Sauce in the restaurant.  It is pretty spicy though.

As for the British breakfast, it's the best in the world.  No one can make sausages like them.  Love the fried tomato, mushrooms, bacon, fried potato cake etc!  Oh yum, hurry up Southampton cruise.

Edited by TeaBag

7 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Agree!!!  I have always wondered why the deserts in the buffet look so inviting but are usually a big disappointment.  I agree that if we want something better we go to Cafe al Bacio or get a scoop of the ice cream.  Or sometimes the cookies are decent.

The desserts look better than they taste.  At the Cafe, many of the items are the same as at the buffet.  The only desserts I like are the creme brule, Berlingers  and the ice cream.  Forget about the cakes....

43 minutes ago, keesar said:

The desserts look better than they taste.  At the Cafe, many of the items are the same as at the buffet.  The only desserts I like are the creme brule, Berlingers  and the ice cream.  Forget about the cakes....

Oh yes I do agree.  Most cruiselines have lousy airless cakes.  Except for Carnival newer ships like vista. In the back of the buffet they have fancy 4 layer cakes that were good.  I had a checkerboard green tea and chocolate cake that was like home made.

P7140025.JPG

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MarkusToe said:

Any recom as we are in Blue first time. 

I love the big ham, they slice down...... 

Better to go to the Buffet or better to go for Blue? 

I second this as it'll be my first time in Blu late April and would like to know. 😀

14 hours ago, Glitterati said:

I’ll keep an eye out for that! I’m British and love Orange Chicken from Panda Express. We don’t get that over here!!!!

Stand outs for me are the salad stations. A big salad and topped with a piece of fresh grilled chicken/salmon is a lovely lunch. 

Breakfast is all about the American items for me as a Brit! Pancakes, waffles, streaky bacon! Love it! I don’t go near the English section for the whole trip 😂

Love your breakfast idea! Whenever we get to the UK, all my husband can think about is the English breakfast & he was born in Puerto Rico!

3 hours ago, TeaBag said:

Well now, I totally agree with the first part of  your post.  We love Panda's Orange Chicken and we miss it so much because although we can cross the US border now, we're not signing up for a PCR to return to Canada after about an hour in the US!  Did you know you can buy a bottle of their Orange Sauce in the restaurant.  It is pretty spicy though.

As for the British breakfast, it's the best in the world.  No one can make sausages like them.  Love the fried tomato, mushrooms, bacon, fried potato cake etc!  Oh yum, hurry up Southampton cruise.

I don't mind an English breakfast but hold the black pudding.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, MarkusToe said:

Any recom as we are in Blue first time. 

I love the big ham, they slice down...... 

Better to go to the Buffet or better to go for Blue? 

16 minutes ago, oceancrusin said:

I second this as it'll be my first time in Blu late April and would like to know. 😀

We love breakfast in Blu. It's a smaller venue & so the service is a little more personal. The menu is the same every day, with traditional items (omelets, pancakes etc.). They have fresh orange & grapefruit juices, smoothies &parfaits. If you have the app you can see the menu for breakfast & dinners. Enjoy!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TeaBag said:

Here you go.  Breakfast at the Holiday Inn, Southampton.  🙂 

00-m8Z7QgQNSN1pSiWVw3FAIG1nv5s5FgYR4GzGtunnUQaDMmIBEE0CQaSxvlkVzYbD?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1543619603

(photo by turtles06)

• Like 1