I got covid on my Hawaii cruise on the Koningsdam, how about you?

homercrispy

3 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

So did I.  Never considered it to mean in my house. 😉  

Just because people ask a question, doesn't mean you need to answer.  I think mask wearing is quite easy to figure out.  I can't even imagine someone asking me why I'm wearing a mask, no matter where it is, in my house, in my car, at the market.  Nobody's business really.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, albingirl said:

Just because people ask a question, doesn't mean you need to answer.  I think mask wearing is quite easy to figure out.  I can't even imagine someone asking me why I'm wearing a mask, no matter where it is, in my house, in my car, at the market.  Nobody's business really.

I think the same is true of not wearing a mask.  Absolutely no one's business, and to each his or her own.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, 4966and556 said:

You wear a mask at home?  I've never heard of anyone actually wearing a mask in their own home.

Home = city I live in = not on a cruise ship

There has never been a requirement to wear a mask in your personal residence.  How would that be enforced?

Examples of where I do where a mask in my home city where its not required:

-drug store

-grocery store

-restaurant when not actively eating or drinking

-common area of the building I work in 

Etc.

I rarely see masking in any of those places I've listed.

• Like 4

I’ve booked a cruise for next February. 
I’ll most likely cancel before final payment if Covid  restrictions doesn’t change. 
Just too much money to kiss off. 

Edited by Lyndihop
Add
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wdw1972 said:

I actually saw the paper/cardboard dishware mentioned in the CDC guidelines.  I don't recall the exact wording, but it sounded like a requirement.  It was interesting to learn recently that another cruise line (Oceania maybe) made the conscious decision to ignore that paragraph and continued using real dishware/utensils for their isolated passengers.  If they can do it, can't HAL? 😉

Sue

You are correct and here's the cruise ship guidance for anyone else who's wondering what cruise lines that have opted into the new program have agreed to follow.

Technical Instructions for Mitigation of COVID-19 Among Cruise Ship Crew | Quarantine | CDC (this covers crew and passengers

As was explained to us (while we were in isolation on Zuiderdam), by agreeing to follow the new program guidelines, HAL cannot pick and choose which things to follow.  So if another cruise line chooses to serve food in non-disposable dinnerware as an example, they are not following what they agreed to do, assuming they have opted into the new CDC program.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Lyndihop said:

I’ve booked a cruise for next February. 
I’ll most likely cancel before final payment if Covid  restrictions doesn’t change. 
Just too much money to kiss off. 

My sister has been debating about the 71 day Grand Africa - October 2022, and even was going to spring for a Neptune Suite if she could, but decided to hold off simply because of all the ongoing "covid craziness".  

There will be no future for cruising until this gets settled.  Asking everyone to follow strict guidelines and still find people get "covid" which throws them into quarantine or off the ship who knows where is just no a sustainable business plan. Sad to say. I want cruising to continue but not under these highly variable and erratic demands.  

"Case numbers" and "test results" are too variable and even meaningless at this time to allow any solid future guidelines for passengers to risk both vacation time and the cash. Sounds like the large majority of passengers are doing just fine, until they get the dreaded and random test results or minor symptoms.  

Yet, the entire industry is held in this prison of daily uncertainty. I can only hope once they analyze the ongoing data from the past few months in this remarkable closed-system experiment, they will find more stable  footing.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, oaktreerb said:

I think the OP got off the ship in Vancouver at the end of the cruise.

The OP was part of the Roll Call for Konigsdam April 10 Vancouver to Hawaii. Context put her onset 4-10-22, and possibly still on the ship, having spoken to someone who’s family is in iso, being she wrote  ( yesterday ) she had met that person (yesterday).

Edited by TiogaCruiser

3 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

...So OP, how long have you been "self quarantining"?...

21 hours ago, homercrispy said:

...a lady i met today said that her family was positive and was quarantined on the 4th floor.

so if you got covid on the ship let me know.  we did not tell anyone we were positive, but self quarantined.

@Cruising-alongit would appear the self-quarantine was in the past.

• Like 1

Had a cold the last few days, actually started around when the masks were mandated.  I did not go out as much as I went early on the cruise.  I had to get tested at the Pan Pacific in Vancouver prior to leaving, and was negative.

30 minutes ago, zelker said:

You are correct and here's the cruise ship guidance for anyone else who's wondering what cruise lines that have opted into the new program have agreed to follow.

Technical Instructions for Mitigation of COVID-19 Among Cruise Ship Crew | Quarantine | CDC (this covers crew and passengers

As was explained to us (while we were in isolation on Zuiderdam), by agreeing to follow the new program guidelines, HAL cannot pick and choose which things to follow.  So if another cruise line chooses to serve food in non-disposable dinnerware as an example, they are not following what they agreed to do, assuming they have opted into the new CDC program.

Norwegian Brands (Oceania included) has opted into the CDC program for their ships while operating in US waters.  So in effect, if the ship is in the Caribbean or in the Mediterranean they are no longer subject to the CDC guidelines.  

Carnival Brands may have made a different decision regarding their participation in the program.  I was on the Nautica that was sailing in the Mediterranean when I was infected.  The ship was nowhere near US waters.  Hence it was not required to follow the CDC guidelines.  Or at least that is my take on it.

Terri

• Like 1

I'm not sure what we can expect to change going forward.  Covid is not going away, or so it seems.  My personal feeling...and everyone clearly has their own opinions on this and I respect that... is as long as I am boosted, the numbers in my area are low, and the predominant  current strain is seemingly week, then I am willing to limit my mask wearing and will travel knowing others will likely be doing the same.  Otherwise, I fear we will be wearing masks everywhere we go and will be fearful for the rest of our lives, and I am personally not willing to do that.

Again, just my personal opinion.  Not judging anyone else's choices.

• Like 1

Just some food for thought, let's step back 4 or 5 years when there was the frequent Cruise Crud. How many times were people coming home with the terrible cough, basically having severe bronchitis. I often wonder if that was not an early version/strain of covid. Look at all the people who were infected and no one really cared. The ships were not quarantining people. Passengers self medicated. I know of many that came home from a cruise far more sick and some hospitalized after returning home. How was that any different than current time. I would venture to say the numbers of passengers with what we called Cruise Crud were far higher than those testing positive for covid now. But here's another secret your going to catch it at any place with numerous people, Las Vegas, Disney World, Sports games etc....

Like some have said I think we need to learn to live with this, it will not be going away. If some one has health issues they should not be doing this type of travel. Same as they should not have been doing that previously but still did. If one is vaccinated and boosted they have done what they need to do to protect themselves.

• Like 8

Just got off this ship yesterday. My personal observations - the majority of the passengers were not young. There were a few kids on the ship, but an 18 day cruise in the middle of April does not lean toward families with children. The majority of those sailing - not all - appeared to be over 60 and even when the cruise started masks were very common throughout the ship. Yes, there were some that never wore masks.

During early announcements the captain seemed very proud of the fact that we were "green." About the middle of the cruise an announcement was made (during early dining) that there were covid cases among passengers and staff - mostly no symptoms or very mild symptoms. Recommended more mask wearing - but not required. That night there seemed to be a bit of a panic. Staff running around with disinfectant and manning elevators... I told my DH that it must be more than a few cases if announced during dinner and staff behavior.

Several days later I found out that the ship was now "red." Masks soon became mandatory in all public spaces and staff were handing out masks throughout the ship. There were those that had light cold symptoms and tested but were negative - so not everyone with a cough or runny nose has covid.

We were among the consistent mask wearers. We knew we needed to test negative to get back into the states and did not want to be stuck. We also both had covid in February, so chances of us getting reinfected this soon were slim, but it could happen. During testing at the Pan Pacific - which was easy for us, but did see lines when we finished - we wondered what happened to someone who tests positive. With a "red" ship we expected to have cases. Names were called and results were handed out, until one couple was approached and asked to step to the back of the room. (DH recognized as consistent non-maskers.) We didn't wait around to see what the procedure was.

After two years of covid I'm tired of it just like everyone else. But, I love to cruise and will do what I need to do to cruise - vaccinate, wear a mask, social distance, etc.  If there hadn't been any announcements made I probably wouldn't have thought much of it, but once you see staff stepping up sanitizing, spraying hallways, and walking around with hazmat suits on it does change the enjoyment of the cruise.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, vswan said:

walking around with hazmat suits on it does change the enjoyment of the cruise.

I need to correct this. I can't actually say they had hazmat suits on, just masks and face shields. I watched 2 approach a room and knock before entering. Assume they were medical. Two more at the elevators we used on a regular basis.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CruisinShips said:

I was interested in hearing the reason as well.  The poster was the one who mentioned it, so it's not unreasonable to ask about it.

I think by "at home," the OP meant when they were out and about in their HOMETOWN, as opposed to wearing a mask when traveling.  I doubt they meant "inside their own home."

We mask here in our area and we are almost the only people who do.  I don't care. I bought these masks and I am gonna wear the hell out of them.  🙂

• Like 4

1 hour ago, vswan said:

Several days later I found out that the ship was now "red." Masks soon became mandatory in all public spaces and staff were handing out masks throughout the ship. There were those that had light cold symptoms and tested but were negative - so not everyone with a cough or runny nose has covid.

Which again, brings up the fact that a negative test does not rule out Covid. It could be too early, or insufficient viral load, or a false positive on a correctly collected specimen. Someone with a “light cold” should not be running free on a ship.

I used to shake my head when people would tell (local health department) us they were sick, but didn’t isolate (or stopped) because they had a negative test. Or they needed to get a test so they could prove they didn’t have Covid, but were sick. 

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 4

19 hours ago, sandiego1 said:

To the OP - you should be ashamed of yourself! You should report to medical immediately so they can properly quarantine you. You are possibly infecting others - even if you are staying in your cabin 100% of the time. Have you denied all room service? What about the people that clean your room every day? Are you wearing a mask while they are in your room? Seems like you are a very selfish person and don't care about others.

An infectious person putting on a mask when someone enters their room is not protecting the other person that much. There’s going to be the sea of droplets and aerosols in the air until they settle.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

An infectious person putting on a mask when someone enters their room is not protecting the other person that much. There’s going to be the sea of droplets and aerosols in the air until they settle.

Exactly.  

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Which again, brings up the fact that a negative test does not rule out Covid. It could be too early, or insufficient viral load, or a false positive on a correctly collected specimen. Someone with a “light cold” should not be running free on a ship.

I used to shake my head when people would tell (local health department) us they were sick, but didn’t isolate (or stopped) because they had a negative test. Or they needed to get a test so they could prove they didn’t have Covid, but were sick. 

This is so true.  We disembarked Celebrity Edge on Sunday the 10th, and our traveling companion started feeling unwell on the flight home and tested positive that night.  DH and I tested negative, but decided to isolate just in case.  Two days later, we both woke up with symptoms and he tested positive immediately.  Me, negative.  Another test two days later, still negative with symptoms.  Two days after that, I went out for a PCR and it was negative too.  We both feel fine now, and DH went out for a PCR after he tested negative on his home test on Day 9.  Positive.  Did I have Covid?  Three antigen and one PCR test say no, but I was sick and shared a bed and a car with a positive and shared many meals with a second positive.  There's so much we just don't know about how all this works, but I think my viral load was just too low?  Didn't keep me from feeling crappy though.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, amyr said:

DH and I tested negative, but decided to isolate just in case.  Two days later, we both woke up with symptoms and he tested positive immediately.  

We had a similar experience to yours.  Short river cruise on the Mississippi. We were tested three times (antigen testing) in the space of 7 days, all negative. We knew we'd been exposed (our waiter tested positive 3 days in).

We both began exhibiting symptoms (oddly, enough, slightly different in each of us) the evening after we left the boat.  It was right at New Year's. Nothing open.  We opted to simply go home after isolating the best we could. I called our family doc the following Monday morning and he laughed a bit.  He said, "You're fully vaxxed, boosted, stuck full of holes.  You are going to be fine.  If you're really curious, come down to the office and we'll do a PCR test" but by then we were, in fact, fine, with no need to do that and so we never really knew if we had it or not.

He said we should assume that we did, but it didn't change anything.

I bet there are a whole lot of vaccinated people who've experienced something similar.  Vaccinated people often don't have a large enough viral load to turn an antigen test positive.  As soon as they told us we'd been exposed, we started being very, very careful about masking everywhere. (Everyone had been a little bit lax because we'd all been tested prior to boarding.  Our bad. . .)

• Like 6