The Daily for Saturday 06/11/2022

richwmn

Good morning from partly cloudy, windy and HOT central Texas.  Looking at the 10 day forecast, today and tomorrow will be the hottest days at 106F today and 107F tomorrow.  After that, it cools off with the highs only 101-103F.  Even in the shade, that is hot. 🌡️

We'll be watching the Belmont Stakes, especially since Rich Strike, the Kentucky Derby winner is entered.  The race is the longest of the Triple Crown races at 1 1/2 mile, which according to a news story will be good for Rich Strike, who has a lot of stamina.

We like corn-on-the-cob, and we'll be having it with grilled chicken thighs, deviled eggs and watermelon tonight.  Jacques Cousteau taught the world a lot about the oceans, and it's too bad we did not learn from that and do more to protect them.  I'm glad to see King Kamehameha Day, he did a lot for Hawaii.  

There are four other statues of King Kamehameha in addition to the one @GTVCRUISER posted, which I believe is the one in Honolulu outside the Hawaii Police Headquarters.  Another was in Statuary Hall in the US Capitol along with a statue of Father Damien.  In 2008, this statue of King Kamehameha was moved from Statuary Hall to Emancipation Hall in the Capitol Visitor Center.  Another statue stands at an entrance to a resort on Maui.  The final two are on the Big Island.  One, which was commissioned for Kauai but transferred to the Big Island, when the people of Kuai did not want the statue on the island, is in a state park near Hilo.  The original statue is in Kapa'au near King Kamehameha birthplace.  In case you're wondering, the Kauai statue was not wanted since King Kamehameha never captured the island.  There was a sixth statue at a hotel in Las Vegas, but after being moved, it was severely damaged by the desert weather and was destroyed.

The original King Kamehameha statue in Kapa'au

DSC00785.thumb.JPG.a046394d1c1353581067d99593c45009.JPG

The C. S. Lewis quote is interesting.

The meal sounds interesting and the recipes look good.  We'll pass on the drink and the wine.

We have not been to Zanzibar, Tanzania.  It was one of two ports on a cruise that were canceled.  Since both ports were one of the main reasons we booked the cruise, we canceled the cruise.  Hopefully, we'll get there someday.

@rafinmd  Roy, I'm glad today is a much better day for you.

@Sharon in AZ   Sorry, you were not able to visit Kotor, that area is has so much to offer.  Thank you for the picture of the bay.  It is a great sail away location.  I'm glad the new crew made it on board, and I hope the sick crew member is well soon.  In 2019, we saw crew waiting to join Veendam in Kotor; so thank you for explaining why they used a tender port for arriving and departing crew.

@marshhawk  Ann, please wish your DH and HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOMORROW for us.

@JAM37  Julia, wishing your DS a HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

@MISTER 67  🥂 BON VOYAGE! 🛳️

@ottahand7  Enjoyed the picture of the lake and the hummingbirds.  In Quartzsite, our hummers are territorial and will not share a feeder, so we have four feeders to keep them happy.

@Heartgrove  Jack, wish we could do more for you, Sue and your family during this difficult time.  Sending positive thoughts for strength for everyone.  It is good that your DS is comfortable and calm.  I don't envy your DB on the decision facing him.  Thank for for the picture of you and your sisters.

@Cruising-along  Carolyn, I'm glad you and everyone else tested negative.  Hope your DD recovers quickly.

@smitty34877  Terry, thank you for the update on Tana.  I wish it was better news.  Sending positives thoughts that she has an easier time and for strength for all of you, especially her son.

@StLouisCruisers  Glad it looks like you tested negative.  Enjoy the rest of your cruise.  When we were tested between cruises on Koningsdam, we were told to wait in the cabin or 15 minutes.  They they did not call, we were negative and would receive a letter that evening.  We were and still are glad HAL sets quarantine cabins aside in isolated, closed off areas.  It helps protect those not sick.  On Koningsdam, there were two closed areas on deck 4, and I think one might have been for crew and one for passengers.  There was a closed off area on Deck 5 across the ship from us, which was the isolation area for incoming crew.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 7

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends from the English Channel where it is afternoon of course!  About 10:45 am we saw the White Cliffs of Dover and it brought back memories of our little hike taken there a few years back.  Good times!

Well, we went for our Covid tests this morning at 8:45 am as directed.  When I asked about results, the woman told me we should hear by this evening.  ??  So we asked someone else as we left and she said within about 30 minutes if positive, so we are thinking there will be a letter delivered showing our negative results by this evening and that is what the first woman meant.  You'd think they'd be specific about things like this since it's pretty important to the guests, right?  Well we haven't gotten any phone calls and it's now after 3 pm here so no news is good news I guess. 

It is really hard to stay away from some of these positive Covid passengers.  More than once one or both of us have almost walked right past an open Covid cabin doorway as the guest inside places their dirty dishes/tray on their little table.  This morning we were coming around a corner and a man was doing just that, and you could hear a woman inside the cabin wheezing and coughing!  We came to an abrupt halt and went back to the elevator foyer to walk down the opposite side of the ship.  Then when we were going back to our cabin after our testing, we saw a nurse standing in the hallway testing the passengers across the hall from us.  We had no idea how long the door was going to remain open so we turned around to do something else for 5 minutes.  At that same time, the woman and man in the cabin right next door to us came out into the hallway calling out to the cabin steward, then the woman began coughing up a storm right there in our hallway!  I can hear this woman coughing day and night next door and yet there's no little table outside her doorway.  I wonder if she is staying on and was tested this morning too?  I hope she goes home actually.  Can you imagine if she was positive also, and I had a table across the hall and right next door to me?  OMG I can't even fathom what I'd do!  So we are trying our best to remain well but sometimes it feels like that is an impossible task. 🤧😷🙏

I hope next time you hear from me it isn't with the sad news that they were so overwhelmed with positive people that it took them all day to phone us, and that we are not part of that group.  Think positive (but Covid negative)!!!

Take care everyone, and we shall try to do the same.❤️

Sending you both our best wishes for negative test results.🤞

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JAM37 said:

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

Nice collection of days.

I like the quote. The meal sounds great. 

A beautiful morning with sunshine and a temperature of 77.

Not much planned today other than a birthday call to my son, (33, my first born) and the pool. 

@1ANGELCAT prayers for Jaguar.

Roy, @rafinmd, glad to hear you're feeling better this morning.

Sharon, @Sharon in AZ, gorgeous sail away photo. Thank you. 

Wishing everyone a super Saturday. 

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

Happy 33rd birthday to your son today Julia.

Graham.

birthday-fireworks.gif.93f1e7c6e52e2869b60c44635b2a604d.gif

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, smitty34877 said:

Sorry but I also had disappearing posts today.Now there are too many.

I salute the days, like the quote and might try the recipe tomorrow. 

@irishjim, orzo is pasta and very popular in our soups usually.It looks like rice!

@JAM37, a very Happy Birthday  to your son

@MISTER 67,Bon Voyage

Erewhon had asked about Tana.I have not said much lately as she is finding everything  difficult.I have asked friends of hers to stay when DH and I need to go out.The respiratory  issues alone are challenging. It leaves her quite weak.I wish I had better news.

Thanks smitty.

• Like 8

@Heartgrove, I’m so sorry to hear how difficult this time is for your family. I do understand the tragedy of losing more than one family member at a time which may be happening to you soon. We experienced that last June. Prayers for a peaceful end of life for your siblings.  🙏🏻

@smitty34877Terry, what heartbreaking developments for Tana. I’m so sorry she is struggling lately. Bless you and your family for being such wonderful caretakers. 

@aliaschief, @Sharon in AZ, @dfish, and @Quartzsite CruiserI totally agree with you all on HAL’s quarantine halls!  We should register our complaint downstairs in addition to adding this to our after cruise survey. It makes total sense. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 4

20 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning from partly cloudy, windy and HOT central Texas.  Looking at the 10 day forecast, today and tomorrow will be the hottest days at 106F today and 107F tomorrow.  After that, it cools off with the highs only 101-103F.  Even in the shade, that is hot. 🌡️

We'll be watching the Belmont Stakes, especially since Rich Strike, the Kentucky Derby winner is entered.  The race is the longest of the Triple Crown races at 1 1/2 mile, which according to a news story will be good for Rich Strike, who has a lot of stamina.

We like corn-on-the-cob, and we'll be having it with grilled chicken thighs, deviled eggs and watermelon tonight.  Jacques Cousteau taught the world a lot about the oceans, and it's too bad we did not learn from that and do more to protect them.  I'm glad to see King Kamehameha Day, he did a lot for Hawaii.  

There are four other statues of King Kamehameha in addition to the one @GTVCRUISER posted, which I believe is the one in Honolulu outside the Hawaii Police Headquarters.  Another was in Statuary Hall in the US Capitol along with a statue of Father Damien.  In 2008, this statue of King Kamehameha was moved from Statuary Hall to Emancipation Hall in the Capitol Visitor Center.  Another statue stands at an entrance to a resort on Maui.  The final two are on the Big Island.  One, which was commissioned for Kauai but transferred to the Big Island, when the people of Kuai did not want the statue on the island, is in a state park near Hilo.  The original statue is in Kapa'au near King Kamehameha birthplace.  In case you're wondering, the Kauai statue was not wanted since King Kamehameha never captured the island.  There was a sixth statue at a hotel in Las Vegas, but after being moved, it was severely damaged by the desert weather and was destroyed.

The original King Kamehameha statue in Kapa'au

DSC00785.thumb.JPG.a046394d1c1353581067d99593c45009.JPG

The C. S. Lewis quote is interesting.

The meal sounds interesting and the recipes look good.  We'll pass on the drink and the wine.

We have not been to Zanzibar, Tanzania.  It was one of two ports on a cruise that were canceled.  Since both ports were one of the main reasons we booked the cruise, we canceled the cruise.  Hopefully, we'll get there someday.

@rafinmd  Roy, I'm glad today is a much better day for you.

@Sharon in AZ   Sorry, you were not able to visit Kotor, that area is has so much to offer.  Thank you for the picture of the bay.  It is a great sail away location.  I'm glad the new crew made it on board, and I hope the sick crew member is well soon.  In 2019, we saw crew waiting to join Veendam in Kotor; so thank you for explaining why they used a tender port for arriving and departing crew.

@marshhawk  Ann, please wish your DH and HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOMORROW for us.

@JAM37  Julia, wishing your DS a HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

@MISTER 67  🥂 BON VOYAGE! 🛳️

@ottahand7  Enjoyed the picture of the lake and the hummingbirds.  In Quartzsite, our hummers are territorial and will not share a feeder, so we have four feeders to keep them happy.

@Heartgrove  Jack, wish we could do more for you, Sue and your family during this difficult time.  Sending positive thoughts for strength for everyone.  It is good that your DS is comfortable and calm.  I don't envy your DB on the decision facing him.  Thank for for the picture of you and your sisters.

@Cruising-along  Carolyn, I'm glad you and everyone else tested negative.  Hope your DD recovers quickly.

@smitty34877  Terry, thank you for the update on Tana.  I wish it was better news.  Sending positives thoughts that she has an easier time and for strength for all of you, especially her son.

@StLouisCruisers  Glad it looks like you tested negative.  Enjoy the rest of your cruise.  When we were tested between cruises on Koningsdam, we were told to wait in the cabin or 15 minutes.  They they did not call, we were negative and would receive a letter that evening.  We were and still are glad HAL sets quarantine cabins aside in isolated, closed off areas.  It helps protect those not sick.  On Koningsdam, there were two closed areas on deck 4, and I think one might have been for crew and one for passengers.  There was a closed off area on Deck 5 across the ship from us, which was the isolation area for incoming crew.

Lenda

Thanks for the Bon Voyage.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

I love that NJ corn on the cob, although I don't eat it often. A salute to Cousteau and King Kamehameha.

Interesting quote.

I like the meal, although high in carbs. Pass on the drink and wine.

I haven't been to Zanzibar - it sounds so exotic!

It's nice here today. Partly sunny and not too hot. Plants watered, some lawn patch stuff put down, and I got the front porch cleaned off this AM, and hosed down the furniture. I may trim some shrubs this afternoon. I heard from my UK friend this morning; she's healing slowly and says they want to do radiation to prevent recurrence,

@kazu I miss you here. Take care.

@rafinmd Good to hear that you're feeling back to normal.

@Sharon in AZ Thanks for the picture from Montenegro.

@marshhawk Early Happy Birthday to DH!

@Cruzin Terri  I hope you're feeling better.

@JAM37 Happy Birthday to your DS!

@atexsix Good to hear you're feeling better. I appreciated the write-up you did on the disability board. I feel sad for DD, but the time does come when we have to stop traveling; so do as much as we can while we can!

@ottahand7 Beautiful surroundings.

@MISTER 67 Bon Voyage!

@aliaschief I've done 2 river cruises and really liked them; especially the smaller ships.

@StLouisCruisers Sounds like negative tests, so yay! Since they're not moving positive passengers to a separate area, it's hard not to be near someone it seems. Stay well!

@Heartgrove Prayers to you all; such a difficult time. Hard decision for your brother; my Mother had nothing other than dementia, so it was an easier decision to place the PEG, as I couldn't have her starve due to no oral intake. Lovely photo!

@Cruising-along Yay on the negative test! 

@smitty34877 Prayers for Tana and all the family as you go through these tough times.

Prayers for the Care List and Ukraine. A toast to the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 7

36 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Carolyn, I'm glad you and everyone else tested negative.  Hope your DD recovers quickly.

Lenda

Thank you Lenda, she’s doing well!

DSIL sent me this photo today. It’s the breakfast our youngest DGS prepared for her and left on the tray outside her room. 🤣 She says they’re taking good care of her. 

Edited to add, the donut looks like a bite has been taken out of it....

B2A7F456-F7BA-4632-9D7B-AB9E468712A5.thumb.jpeg.679c555a803be922e4f2b6f9579a9ae6.jpeg

Edited by Cruising-along
  • Like 18
  • Haha 10

Zanzibar from November 1996 on the now defunct Orient Line's Marco Polo (a quote from my journal)

"Zanzibar -- what an experience! We smelled it 20 minutes before we docked. Zanzibar grows 95% of the world's cloves along with other spices, but has no sanitary sewer system. It's a cacophony for one's nose!" (1996)

The public beach with the Marco Polo in the background.

IMG_20220611_140912064.thumb.jpg.f9290c54495a98dc4f0bcb63b147aeeb.jpg

The most beautiful sight in Zanzibar were the dhows. The boats were romantically lovely -- a combination of wood, wicker and sail! And, when away from the dock, they ghosted across the water as if performing in a water ballet.

IMG_20220611_140950192.thumb.jpg.b28e3b960d04e372a44dc02bac57a415.jpg

-Melisa

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Saturday Daily, Rich.  I love all 4 days and the quote.  The meal sounds interesting.  My alternative is Chilled Watermelon Gazpacho and Lamb Loin with Mint Chinchurri as served on MS Prinsendam June 11, 2015.  Feeling normal this morning.

Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Totally agree with the above, Winner, Winner, Winner. I am glad you are feeling normal.

Staff Captain Sabine disembarked the Konigsdam in Juneau on May 30th for her vacation.  She didn't say if she would be coming back to the Konigsdam after her vacation is over.

Jane

7 hours ago, rafinmd said:

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

@StLouisCruisersI would be very afraid of getting Covid in the situation you are describing. Unfortunately there are many conditions other than Covid that can cause uncontrollable coughing episodes and I hope that your neighbor has one of those non-contageous conditions.  I have COPD, a combination of bronchiectasis and emphysema; my next door neighbor has pulmonary fibrosis. If the two of us have coughing spells at the same time it sounds terrible.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 7

5 hours ago, irishjim said:

Love  the  look  of  the  food but what is orzo.

Jim.

Rice shaped pasta, I love the stuff.

• Like 8

Thanks for all the daily information.  Another port we have not visited.

It's a very cold windy day,  snow further inland, the Cardrona skifield is open.

@rafinmd Roy, thanks for your reply yesterday, pleased that you are feeling better today.

@marshhawk Happy Birthday to your DH for tomorrow.

@JAM37 Happy Birthday to your son today.

@MISTER 67Bon Voyage.

@StLouisCruisers it is disappointing that covid positive  passengers are  not isolated like on the HAL ships. Are you wearing your masks when you venture out of your stateroom?

@smitty34877 thanks for replying to my query, sorry that the news iof Tana is not better.  Hope you are able to  regularly have a break from care giving .

@kazu thinking of you, miss you posting on the "Daily".

Our cat recently adopted from the SPCA has now discovered the fun of shredding toilet paper.

Stay safe, take care everyone.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, lazey1 said:

@StLouisCruisersI would be very afraid of getting Covid in the situation you are describing. Unfortunately there are many conditions other than Covid that can cause uncontrollable coughing episodes and I hope that your neighbor has one of those non-contageous conditions.  I have COPD, a combination of bronchiectasis and emphysema; my next door neighbor has pulmonary fibrosis. If the two of us have coughing spells at the same time it sounds terrible.

my friend has COPD and it sounds terrible when she coughs. I hope they’re not contagious too!

6 hours ago, erewhon said:

Thanks for all the daily information.  Another port we have not visited.

It's a very cold windy day,  snow further inland, the Cardrona skifield is open.

@rafinmd Roy, thanks for your reply yesterday, pleased that you are feeling better today.

@marshhawk Happy Birthday to your DH for tomorrow.

@JAM37 Happy Birthday to your son today.

@MISTER 67Bon Voyage.

@StLouisCruisers it is disappointing that covid positive  passengers are  not isolated like on the HAL ships. Are you wearing your masks when you venture out of your stateroom?

@smitty34877 thanks for replying to my query, sorry that the news iof Tana is not better.  Hope you are able to  regularly have a break from care giving .

@kazu thinking of you, miss you posting on the "Daily".

Our cat recently adopted from the SPCA has now discovered the fun of shredding toilet paper.

Stay safe, take care everyone.

Yes we have been required to wear masks the past 7 or 8 days.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4