The Daily for Monday 06/13/2022

richwmn

Pat reminded me that I have to take him to his ophthalmologist appointment tomorrow for laser surgery for a problem under one of his new cataract lenses, and he wanted to be sure I don’t have COVID, so I tested and I’m negative.  Strange, though, with his cold he had a runny nose, and I don’t have that, just a cough and tickle in my throat.  Haven’t had a cold for more than two years!  

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

@Heartgrove,Jack,I am sending my condolences for your family  after the passing of your sister.I am glad you were able to be with her .I hope all goes well with your brother and his surgery

We will be without hot water or a stove for 2 to 3 days as the main pipe needs replacing.The city made these monitors/alarms mandatory last year. It was a good thing.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

@Heartgrove,Jack,I am sending my condolences for your family  after the passing of your sister.I am glad you were able to be with her .I hope all goes well with your brother and his surgery

We will be without hot water or a stove for 2 to 3 days as the main pipe needs replacing.The city made these monitors/alarms mandatory last year. It was a good thing.

Yes, making the monitors/alarms mandatory was a very good thing since it save a member family of the Daily family.

Hope they can replace the main pipe sooner than expected.

Lenda

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

@Heartgrove and @Quartzsite Cruiser, do you think a tour is a requirement in Grundarfjordur?  From some of your photos it would seem that the waterfall and mountain can be seen from the village, or should we get out into the countryside?  This is the last of 5 port days for us, I think we will be tired, and although there are tours available, I am wondering if we should just have a wander in town and take it easy.  

@smitty34877  when we lived in Virginia, we had a gas lantern where our front path met the sidewalk.  That was fine, but well back from the lamppost there was a dead spot in the lawn.  Every Spring I would plant petunias or other flowers in the brown circle, and they would all die very quickly.  One year I decided that I would excavate down and replace the earth, as I figured there was something wrong with it.  As I dug, it got smellier and smellier and finally almost erupted in stink - we had to call the gas company, and evidently the problem was an underground leak in the junction between the main gas line and the side line to the lantern that had been going on for years - fortunately it was outdoors.  They had to seal it all up and remove the lantern.  

There is a little bird sitting on my hummingbird feeder, I think it's a baby hummer, it still has bits of fluff on it.  It has been there for hours slowly making its way around the perch.  I wish its Mum would come and show it how to drink from the feeder.

IMG_0022.thumb.jpeg.ba6118bc64d2edf23658a628c7e30ecd.jpeg

Oh, so exciting, it has found one of the "flowers" and I can see it drinking. Yay!

Now it has gone to another flower.  It must be saying to itself "I'm so smart!"

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

Pat reminded me that I have to take him to his ophthalmologist appointment tomorrow for laser surgery for a problem under one of his new cataract lenses, and he wanted to be sure I don’t have COVID, so I tested and I’m negative.  Strange, though, with his cold he had a runny nose, and I don’t have that, just a cough and tickle in my throat.  Haven’t had a cold for more than two years!  

Sending good wishes for a successful opthalmologist appointment for Pat tomorrow Ann.

Graham.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Happy  Monday afternoon to all!  It is a hot, windy afternoon here on the Western Slope of Colorado.  We are under "Red Flag" warnings here as the fire danger is so high.  Guess there is a new, rather large fire in Arizona, which is sending smoke to the Central Rockies.

@Heartgrove, my sincere condolences to you and your family in the loss of your dear sister.  Your entire family is in my prayers.  

@kazuand @Seasick Sailorit is nice to see you both.  Your deer pictures are "something else!"  Looks like nothing will deter them.  Last winter I had 5 deer crossing in my yard, and when they got to the street they all looked both ways before crossing!

I am just 5 days short of being 4 Star Mariner, and this morning I almost hit the final buy button on a 7 day Alaska cruise on the Westerdam.  Since I am a single cruiser it is a fairly expensive way to get free laundry on future cruises.  If the stock market weren't tanking I might do it, but -----!

I am not sure about the meal of the day, but guess I could adapt it to a recipe for 1 and give it a try!  The drink of the day sounds like it would be good.  Of course, I am a spicy, jalapeño loving person!  The photos of Iceland are just beautiful.  Thanks to all for posting!

@ger_77your angel wings are lovely.  I can understand how it would take several tries, but you have the technique mastered.

Have a great rest of the day, everyone.

Mary Kay

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

We have been very busy so I may have missed yesterday. We went fishing even though they aren't biting. Yesterday I caught first, biggest and most. The picture I am attaching.  I am wearing my "Porter Lake lingerie" what my sister calls my bug netting. Not much a small Rock Bass. So many types of clouds between two great lakes. In town today back to today's day - garden weeding. 🙄

Prayers for all on Roy's care list especially the people of Ukraine.  

IMG_7921.jpg

IMG_20220612_132848250.jpg

IMG_20220612_125618276.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Right now I'm feeling darn lucky that we were in Yellowstone last week and not now.  All entrances are closed, tourists are being evacuated and serious flooding.  This is the road we took every day back and forth.  Our hotel was in Gardiner.  Two years ago Gardiner had a bad fire, and now this. 😞  

https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/news/220613.htm

We would have had no choice but to come back home.  Whew!  Feeling very thankful right now.

Meanwhile, youngest grandson is feeling fine after sleeping 12 hours last night.  DSIL says he was up and dressed for school at 7am this morning....only to be told he had to be tested, and then find out that after 2 years of being extra careful, he has Covid.  I feel bad he'll miss his last week of 1st grade.  So far his brother and Dad are testing negative, it will be a miracle if they don't get it too.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 5

@Heartgrove 🙏Our prayers for your family. May you each be sustained and comforted by warm memories.🙏

@smitty34877 🔥Thank heavens for the gas alarm! So glad your family is safe. Hoping the inconveniences are few and short-term.🔥

@kazu🎉Hip Hip Hooray! Your return made this Daily-ite's day! Your contributions have been missed!🎉

-Melisa 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for daily report!  Prayers to all!  

I walked to tai chi this morning and when I returned the summer weather did me in. It is definitely hot.  After a shower and being in ac, I am back to normal.

I used to have a huge flower garden, but am now in a high rise condo.  I love flowers, but hate weeds and pests.  In st petersburg there aren’t any deers, but lots of insects.  

• Like 19

7 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

We have been very busy so I may have missed yesterday. We went fishing even though they aren't biting. Yesterday I caught first, biggest and most. The picture I am attaching.  I am wearing my "Porter Lake lingerie" what my sister calls my bug netting. Not much a small Rock Bass. So many types of clouds between two great lakes. In town today back to today's day - garden weeding. 🙄

Prayers for all on Roy's care list especially the people of Ukraine.  

IMG_7921.jpg

IMG_20220612_132848250.jpg

IMG_20220612_125618276.jpg

Nice pictures.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

@HeartgroveI'm adding my condolences to you and your family over your sister's passing.  I'm glad you were there with her, as I'm sure she felt comforted by your presence.  I was with my mom and also a friend when they passed and regarded it as a privilege to have been there for them.  Prayers for you for strength to get through the days to come, and for your brother's PEG insertion.

Gerry

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

@Heartgrove and @Quartzsite Cruiser, do you think a tour is a requirement in Grundarfjordur?  From some of your photos it would seem that the waterfall and mountain can be seen from the village, or should we get out into the countryside?  This is the last of 5 port days for us, I think we will be tired, and although there are tours available, I am wondering if we should just have a wander in town and take it easy.  

@smitty34877  when we lived in Virginia, we had a gas lantern where our front path met the sidewalk.  That was fine, but well back from the lamppost there was a dead spot in the lawn.  Every Spring I would plant petunias or other flowers in the brown circle, and they would all die very quickly.  One year I decided that I would excavate down and replace the earth, as I figured there was something wrong with it.  As I dug, it got smellier and smellier and finally almost erupted in stink - we had to call the gas company, and evidently the problem was an underground leak in the junction between the main gas line and the side line to the lantern that had been going on for years - fortunately it was outdoors.  They had to seal it all up and remove the lantern.  

There is a little bird sitting on my hummingbird feeder, I think it's a baby hummer, it still has bits of fluff on it.  It has been there for hours slowly making its way around the perch.  I wish its Mum would come and show it how to drink from the feeder.

IMG_0022.thumb.jpeg.ba6118bc64d2edf23658a628c7e30ecd.jpeg

Oh, so exciting, it has found one of the "flowers" and I can see it drinking. Yay!

Now it has gone to another flower.  It must be saying to itself "I'm so smart!"

Ann, for a couple of reasons, I think you would be wise to not book a tour. The first is the weather is unpredictable and can be rainy.  It is an easy, walkable town with the exception of the climb up to the church, but it isn't too bad.  Also, both the mountain and the waterfall pictures were taken from town.

I suspect if you decide to venture out of town, there will be locals offering tours. 

If you're stopping at Isafjordur, it is an easy walking town.  There will probably be a tour there to a spectacular series of waterfalls, too.  Try to make itbto the bakery there.

Interesting about the baby hummingbird.  Maybe, mama bird was watching to see if baby figured the feeder out.

If I'm reading between the lines correctly, DH had the same procedure Pat is having after both cataract surgeries.  He said it is simple and easy.  It took 30 seconds or less.

Lenda

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, HAL Sailer said:

@Heartgrove 🙏Our prayers for your family. May you each be sustained and comforted by warm memories.🙏

@smitty34877 🔥Thank heavens for the gas alarm! So glad your family is safe. Hoping the inconveniences are few and short-term.🔥

@kazu🎉Hip Hip Hooray! Your return made this Daily-ite's day! Your contributions have been missed!🎉

-Melisa 

I could not have said this better. 

I can't pull weeds as I get lightheaded any time I bent over. I don't have a sewing machine, such a klutz that I was never able to thread a needle.  I was never allowed in my mothers kitchen and was very much a klutz in my newlywed years. The deer photo's remind me that venison was our primary source of meat when I was growing up. You see a garden nemisis, I see steak and roasts.

Jane

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

The monitor/alarm is a good idea and so glad it worked for you but going without hot water or a stove for 3 days is no picnic 😔 Especially the hot water.  I sure hope they can fix it faster than that 🤞 

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Meanwhile, youngest grandson is feeling fine after sleeping 12 hours last night.  DSIL says he was up and dressed for school at 7am this morning....only to be told he had to be tested, and then find out that after 2 years of being extra careful, he has Covid.  I feel bad he'll miss his last week of 1st grade.  So far his brother and Dad are testing negative, it will be a miracle if they don't get it too.

Aww, your poor youngest DGS 😔 Hoping the other in the house are spared 🤞 

6 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

I ignored my PCC’s advice to wait for an upgrade offer and called a bit ago.  I was able to snag a Neptune upsell for both itineraries.

YAY 👏 👏. Good for you!

6 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

With only one cabin left both ways I’m glad I called.  Now we don’t have to change cabins when we get to Montreal.  After DH insisting we upgrade he wants to complain that it costs more.🤣

LOL - let him complain all he wants - I”m betting he enjoys it as much as my DH used to.  Hope you both enjoy every moment of it 👍 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Ann, I might disagree with Lenda but with the caveat that if the excursion would take you at least as far as Badur, it would be worth it. It is a very remote part of the country (actually all of Iceland is pretty remote. 🙂) different from other parts of Iceland with many diverse features and historical sites that would fill a daytime excursion. Some of these are the Bardur Snaefellsas ( mythical protector of the peninsula) rock sculpture in Budur, the iconic Budakirkja (Black Church in Budir), and others. I will try to add some additional photos but limited currently to what is on my phone.

I feel that Grundarfjordur, Akureyri ( beautiful cruise in the fjord), and Reyjkavik (Golden Circle) excursions would be worth it. Hopefully HAL runs a shuttle in Rejkavik as the cruise port is a ways to the downtown. Look for "Braud & Co." bakery near Hallgrimskirka for wonderful pastries! Isafjordur and Seydisfjordur (another beautiful cruise down the fjord) could be done with walking tours. If there is an excursion to the Joklsarlon Iceberg Lagoon from Djupivogur, take it although it is about a two hour ride to get there. Otherwise the town is a nice 2-3 hour walkaround and tender port.

- Jack

532012099_DSC082152.thumb.JPG.511c83fb52088fb70bc32a0f08af4444.JPG

124747442_DSC082582.thumb.JPG.8a18d4b36aff6693e12943ed84cb7a57.JPG

1726520116_DSC082702.thumb.JPG.9b01c98f5d89cc36def8275777b9471d.JPG

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 4

Thank you, Lenda and Jack.  The tour that is being talked about on the roll call does not include Badur and sounds rather as if they are going to fishing villages to walk on beaches, so I think if the weather is not good, that won't be the most fun!  We will have had a busy two days in Reykjavik as I have a cousin there with the American Embassy and she said she will take us around, so a peaceful day wandering in the village of Grundarfjordur sounds appealing!  Before Reykjavik we will have (hopefully) visited Akureyri and Isafjordur.  

• Like 11

@Heartgrove Jack, my deepest condolences on the loss of Kelley. Your family is having such a difficult time, and I hope for peace and healing for all of you. May your brothers surgery go well.

@smitty34877 Wow, if it isn’t one thing it’s another! Thank goodness you are all safe after the gas leak, but how scary! And with the added difficulty in getting Tana to safety in an emergency too!

@ger_77 the angel wings are lovely,  and a fitting momento for the parents. Soft, small, and easy to tuck into a keepsake box.

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 3

19 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Thank you, Lenda and Jack.  The tour that is being talked about on the roll call does not include Badur and sounds rather as if they are going to fishing villages to walk on beaches, so I think if the weather is not good, that won't be the most fun!  We will have had a busy two days in Reykjavik as I have a cousin there with the American Embassy and she said she will take us around, so a peaceful day wandering in the village of Grundarfjordur sounds appealing!  Before Reykjavik we will have (hopefully) visited Akureyri and Isafjordur.  

A guided tour by your cousin sounds fantastic! Yes, hopefully the weather cooperates as the wind will blow you sideways. Iceland is famous for it's sideways rain and rental car insurance does not include sprung car doors. I know on our cruise with VO last year, a number of us bought raingear including rain pants. Sue and I used our rain jackets but never wore the rain pants. We are taking a cruise next August that includes Qaqortoq (Krack-a-duk) and Nanortalik in Greenland so might get a chance then.

You will find that the ports are protected so you should not have a problem making port. The only one we missed was Heimaey Island due to sea conditions.

- Jack

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

Ann, I might disagree with Lenda but with the caveat that if the excursion would take you at least as far as Badur, it would be worth it. It is a very remote part of the country (actually all of Iceland is pretty remote. 🙂) different from other parts of Iceland with many diverse features and historical sites that would fill a daytime excursion. Some of these are the Bardur Snaefellsas ( mythical protector of the peninsula) rock sculpture in Budur, the iconic Budakirkja (Black Church in Budir), and others. I will try to add some additional photos but limited currently to what is on my phone.

I feel that Grundarfjordur, Akureyri ( beautiful cruise in the fjord), and Reyjkavik (Golden Circle) excursions would be worth it. Hopefully HAL runs a shuttle in Rejkavik as the cruise port is a ways to the downtown. Look for "Braud & Co." bakery near Hallgrimskirka for wonderful pastries! Isafjordur and Seydisfjordur (another beautiful cruise down the fjord) could be done with walking tours. If there is an excursion to the Joklsarlon Iceberg Lagoon from Djupivogur, take it although it is about a two hour ride to get there. Otherwise the town is a nice 2-3 hour walkaround and tender port.

- Jack

532012099_DSC082152.thumb.JPG.511c83fb52088fb70bc32a0f08af4444.JPG

124747442_DSC082582.thumb.JPG.8a18d4b36aff6693e12943ed84cb7a57.JPG

1726520116_DSC082702.thumb.JPG.9b01c98f5d89cc36def8275777b9471d.JPG

49 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

I will not disagree with Jack about touring the area around Badur.  The drive from Reykjavik to Grundarfjordur is filled with many wonderful sights, not to mention the scenery.  DH and I remember the road is good, but it is two lane with quite a few tourists.  There is a lot to see in Iceland, and not enough time on a cruise.

Whatever you do, you will enjoy Iceland.

Lenda

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1