The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday July 7th, 2022

richwmn

Today is Chocolate Day, Global Forgiveness Day, and Father Daughter Take a Walk Together Day

The one you love and the one who loves you are never, ever the same person.--Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters

Meal Suggestion for today - cobb salad
Drink of the Day - Bloody Beam
Wine of the Day - Bec Hardy 2019 Pertaringa Lakeside Cabernet Sauvig
Destination of the Day - Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada

Eurodam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska 07:00 - 13:00

Koningsdam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska 10:00 - 18:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Skagway, Alaska 07:00 - 21:00

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Oslo, Norway eta 07/08

Noordam

Juneau, Alaska 08:00 - 18:00

Oosterdam

Katakolon, Olympia, Greece 08:00 - 16:00

Rotterdam

Alesund, Norway 08:00 - 17:00

Westerdam

Sitka, Baranof Island, Alaska 08:00 - 16:00

Zaandam

Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada 08:00 - 16:00

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Tracy Arm & Juneau, Alaska eta 07/08

Volendam

Rotterdam Waalhaven Ukraine Relief

0708World.thumb.png.de86ef69b5c071f1518e1b3dc0938dbf.png

• Like 28
  • Thanks 15

Good afternoon.

It is sunny and 72°F here in North East England.

Thank you for today's fleet reports and Daily Rich.

As someone who has sold chocolate for 35 years every day is chocolate day.

Global forgiveness day again should be every day.

It is usual that father's and daughters and sons and mother's have a connection.

Today's food and drink do not appeal.

The quote is true if you are a vain person but usually it is wives and husbands who love each other.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone who is unwell.

I hope everyone has a lovely day.

Graham.

• Like 31

Good morning.  Thanks for the Fleet and Daily Report.

A bright cool morning, supposed to get to 27C (81F) this afternoon.  Great summer weather, Bertie and I will go for several walks.🙂

Hooray for Chocolate Day - that should be everyday.  Forgiveness is extremely important.  I wish I could take a walk with my dad, I miss him.

I don't agree with the quote.

The meal sounds great.  I'll give the drink a pass but I'm sure I'll like the wine.

We haven't made it to Newfoundland, yet.  Thanks for all the pictures that will be posted.

Prayers for everyone.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a wonderful day.

Stay safe.

• Like 34

Good Morning from Halifax,  thanks for the daily fleet report.   Tonight is chocolate surprise night so that will be celebrated.  After a bumpy night the weather is bright and sunny.  So far our walk on ocean floor is a go. 

20220707_054835.thumb.jpg.028637d60bfd04babda15b0c3d251337.jpg

• Like 35
  • Thanks 4

Bloody Beam cocktail:

Ingredients:
1.5 Parts Jim Beam Original
2 Basil Leaves
0.75 Part Cinnamon Simple Syrup
4 Dashes Worcestershire Sauce
Lemon Wedge
Rim Glass Tajin Spice
Directions:
In a mixing glass muddle the sauces, spices and basil leaves. Add all remaining ingredients and roll back and forth with ice in a mixing tin. Pour over ice in glass rimmed with Tajin spice. Optional: Substitute V8 Light Mix for Bloody Mary Mix.

Screen Shot 2022-07-07 at 7.09.07 AM.png

• Like 23
  • Thanks 10

Good morning from beautiful Southwest Florida.

I disagree on the quote for the most part except my first true love didn't love me as much as I loved her, oh well.

Since I'm a chocoholic, today is my kind of day.

Cobb salad is my favorite salad after a Greek salad.

Not sure what Global Forgiveness is about.

Thanks for The Daily, stay well and have a great day.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 31
  • Haha 1

Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebration Report, and thank you Debbie for today's recipes. And thank you all for being here! 

We are scheduled to visit today's destination next year on the back half of our cruise to Greenland. Looking forward to photos from other cruisers!

Stay Safe!

- Jack

• Like 30

Good morning  everyone. We went to the port on a VOV Veendam cruise.It was strikingly beautiful  but had a whole lot of black flies swarming us all.I could have used the headgear that Debbie @dfish has! My brother swore  that he swallowed  one but was not believed.

I am one of those very odd people that can take or leave chocolate. I am very happy to see that my daughter has a lovely relationship  with her Dad and my DGD is also close to her Dad.My  brothers and I did not have that  growing up.We did have each other though and I am very grateful for that.

I am thinking this morning  of Buddy and Amy and hope he is not in pain. People want so much to be in their  own homes when facing the end of life.Sending my prayers for them and for Sandi @StLouisCruisers

• Like 35
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich! Another lovely morning. The local bucks have been spending a great deal of time each evening in my back yard. They may be trying to impress the does who are having a drink at the local watering hole.  Three of them have quite impressive racks. 

Thank you for sharing your cruise with us Roy!  And keeping our lists at the same time. Morning Dailyites! Enjoy your stay in Maui, Joy! Today is my off day at the gym. A couple of garden clean up chores for me today. Then this evening a few of us are going to a local wine tasting event. We want to go early to get outside seats.

Canine parents all have experienced this one….

FE66C605-C8C0-4B8C-9A0D-ED3EB1489D50.jpeg.fec1edc1e1b993a685090920a31c439c.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Bec Hardy 2019 Pertaringa Lakeside Cabernet Sauvignon 

A bit elusive, unless you are traveling to - or live in Australia, but it’s very good-excellent reviews and cheap price makes it one to try. A few out of country distributors with prices starting at $7.47. 

Winemaker notes

Story: They say that a parent doesn't have a favourite child, but Cabernet Sauvignon has always secretly been one of ours!

Vintage: The 2019 growing season started with mild weather and below average rainfall. Some late spring rain provided a bit of relief from the dry conditions. A heatwave in January was luckily too early in the ripening cycle to cause any damage to the fruit. This was followed by a very mild and dry finish to the vintage, allowing good hang time and flavour development to the smaller than average crop.

Nose: The nose displays beautifully complex notes of plums, blackberries and a hint of cassis.

Palate: The palate is smooth and well-rounded with plenty of blackberries and plums, complemented by well-integrated tannins.

Food Pairings: This is the perfect wine for a lamb on the spit or any other meaty main course!

Cellaring: Drink now to 2027. 

• Like 31
  • Thanks 6

Good morning, everyone!  

It looks like a beautiful day is in store today.  Lots of sunshine and moderate temperatures are forecast.  I'll take it.  It is cool this morning so I will enjoy my laps.   Bring on the chocolate!   I think my dad was wary of taking a walk with me after one time when I was 2.  We were walking over to visit Aunt Manie and I wanted to ride my tricycle.  We got halfway there and I was done with the trike.  I wanted Daddy to carry me.  And the trike.  He ended up taking his belt off and using it to drag the trike behind us.  Looking forward to the pictures of Corner Brook.  That was on one of my Covid cancellations.  Hopefully we'll get there next year.  

I love Cobb salads.  The only problem is they are not for those watching calories.  Most salads like that aren't.  All those yummy salads in restaurants generally have more calories than a "sensible" meal.  But, once in a while........  Most of the salad recipes are the same and what varies is the dressing you put on it.   We'll start with this one from Delish and it truly looks Delish.  https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a58703/best-cobb-salad-recipe/

743307737_Cobbsalad1.thumb.jpg.2beddbf8555a240989817d45b5ea70a6.jpg

This one uses a balsamic vinaigrette to dress the salad.  That would be nice to have for any salad!   https://natashaskitchen.com/cobb-salad/

754101122_CobbSalad2.thumb.jpg.0a50f9d4d1d5ca14cc0fca4711249a83.jpg

This next one uses a red wine vinegar to make the dressing.   https://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/cobb-salad/

482911414_CobbSalad3.thumb.jpg.bf0d2a62902d5b6bcd5b9bf351786e44.jpg

This last one has a honey mustard vinaigrette dressing and suggestions for customizing your salad.  https://www.cookingclassy.com/cobb-salad/

538462137_CobbSalad4.thumb.jpg.727d25299ef04fb8906cd09cb24cfc9d.jpg

Prayers for all who need them, especially victims of violence and injustice.   Special prayers for Daily family members facing struggles and challenges.   Cheers to those who are celebrating.  Wishing you all a wonderful day.

• Like 35
  • Thanks 8

Good morning friends!  Another sunny morning which is always a great start to the day.  I have a midday mammo scheduled so that is my plan for today.  Thank you Rich @richwmnfor our Fleet Report and Daily!  I do love chocolate so would love to celebrate it today.  There are a few people on the globe I can't forgive, but for the most part I think forgiveness is a good thing.  Father daughter walks are a very sweet thing.  I would enjoy walking with my late Dad but only when he was younger.  At the end it would have been too painful for him.  I think the quote sounds a little sad.  I enjoy cobb salads and last had one on the Island Princess a few weeks ago.  No thanks to the drink and wine.  Corner Brook, Newfoundland was a port on our Seabourn Route of the Vikings cruise in August 2018, Reykjavik to Montreal.  This is our first time seeing Corner Brook as our Daily port destination.

Prayers for all on the Daily Care list.  I'm so appreciative of the warm thoughts and prayers from my friends here for Buddy and his family.  I hope he had a comfortable night at home without all the chaos of the hospital around him.  I'll keep you updated.  Cheers for all our members on cruises or heading out to one.  Also to everyone celebrating happy events of their own.  

DD is still having a busy but fabulous cruise with her buddy Missy.  I can't believe how many things they can fit into a day!  I really enjoy her Instagram post each evening telling us all about it.  Cute pictures, too.  The fun ends Saturday though, and then hopefully she won't have any flight issues getting home.

Have a great day everyone!  I'm off to look for a photo or two or three from Corner Brook.

• Like 34

Good morning from a lovely but chilly day at sea.  I love chocolate and forgiveness but don't have a daughter.  The quote sounds kind of fatalistic.  I've driven by Corner Brook but never been there, although I was booked there on the Zuiderdam in 2020.  Cobb is not a favorite salad of mine.  My alternative is Oxtail Consume, Braised Lamb Shank, and Ice Cream as served on Queen Mary 2 July 6, 2022. 

dishes06.jpg

I will probably take a day off on the lists tomorrow as disembarkation will be hectic.

Today’s care list:

StLouisCruisers DH awaiting biopsy result
StLouis Cruisers Sister and BIL with covid
Buddy entering Hospice
Covid in Durango shelter staff
Heartgrove brother discharged with extremely poor prognosis
From the rotation:
Strength and healing for Kazu
StLouisSal with weakening legs and covid
Cruzin Terri with continuing health problems
Tana with persistant cough

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

aliaschief in Oregon
Seasick Sailer in Hawaii
Volendam caring for refugees
2 days for Cat in My Lap  (Zaandam 7/9 to 8/13)
3 days for dobiemom (Rotterdam 7/10 to 7/17)
jimgev in Alaska
new bookings for me and Marshhawk
rafinmd  (QM2 to July  8), Mister Boston (Celebrity Summit to July  10), Crazy for Cats (Zaandam to 7/9), GTVCRUISER (Carnival Panorama to July 9) and ski ww (Oosterdam to July 16)  at sea
Vacationing Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 32
  • Thanks 12

Thanks for our Thursday Daily, Rich.

A lot of people are going to be happy today and celebrate with chocolate 😉 Forgiveness is needed everywhere.  I so wish my father was still here on earth to take a walk with.

56A6C198-B91B-4AC4-A9EC-837F85BA2627.thumb.jpeg.73a5f16b0b9157993e3f392bb7cf96c1.jpeg

I don’t think I can agree with today’s quote.  Yum on today’s meal.  Love Cobb salad - especially if someone else does all the work like on a BHB 😉 

5EF21075-AEF4-4479-9BB1-F09A606D0C5C.thumb.jpeg.5a8465dcb3aa7fdac96ba98b2a9373d2.jpeg

The back of my SUV is stuffed with more bags of clothes to give to Community Living and my kind neighbour is delivering 4 big bins of clothing to the Hospice Shop.  This is the second time and I’m still not quite done.  Painful but it has to be done. 💔 

90CAF7D7-0D59-453E-99DF-5C2A1B747DD8.thumb.jpeg.5b2d9189fe8a9abe54fd5803211b1757.jpeg

Once delivered the rest of the day will be filled with spread sheet updates, a visit with a dear friend and gardening.  Exciting, eh?

@marshhawk- for Madeira - I highly recommend Daniel -  https://danielmadeirataxis.com/ Madeira is truly beautiful and his tours are easy to do and allow you to see some of fabulous Madeira.  There is much more to Madeira than just Funchal 😉 

9376AF12-F764-4A7B-8B87-E9AA6D295955.thumb.jpeg.b58a8f5e517d01487b7a9e76a42b40b3.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list and for those that need them and a 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a good Thursday everyone !!!!!

09440E4E-FFBB-40E1-A889-BE0C90434046.jpeg.6837a0d7a4aaa58f25ea29090cc6be43.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 when / where needed.

• Like 44
  • Thanks 3

Nearing the end of our fabulous cruise from and to Iceland, Greenland, and Maritime Canada, our port on Aug. 27, 2018 was Corner Brook.  We intended to walk around the city and had no out of town plans for it.  I had been bitten several times in Red Bay by those nasty black flies and intended to locate some itch cream at a pharmacy to help relieve the pain.

Approaching the relatively large city of Corner Brook.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJIbkVeLA8xrx3RrwviOmXs?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1538515977

Seabourn provided a shuttle bus to drive us to the City Hall.  On our way back to the ship we just walked.  It wasn't too far away.  Along the way we saw this cute display.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI50pheIelUlXX47GiEf1av?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1538516036

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKSCJ_GuA4920takq4jVC-X?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1538516048

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJEjVX68pK4WOM-NpUire9k?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1538516048

It seemed like a nice place and appreciative of their veterans of past wars.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKTqOvcKgZprTIN13pPN577?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1538516037

The light colored building with the bunting under the windows is actually a Museum attached to City Hall.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLp7ZEzcL_RimVQ1EKDOQQI?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1538516071

It seemed to be a nice town and we enjoyed the short walk to a shopping area.  A picturesque church along the route.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKRyFqrCWuzZgjyQQfqhuiK?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1538516077

I could show you photos of shopping centers and strip malls but I won't.  We found the drug store, bought the itch cream and continued our hike.  Along the walk back to the ship we saw a Canadian Legion Hall.  Makes sense since in the U.S. we have American Legion Halls.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIOio48eExDJX2LtAeIUu9D?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1538501569

Working up a thirst as we walked, it was good to see the ship, Seabourn Quest, awaiting our arrival.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL7mxITSnXKCbNYXlzlk69l?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1538516112

While we were gone crew had been using a Zodiac to stand in to paint the hull.  I had seen them lowering a Zodiac at breakfast that morning.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI6wTAVOnlMcz7IbZ1ymcja?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1538501570

Leaving Corner Brook and heading to Quebec City.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIjgJt-s88jVJqcyoNaHEYR?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1538516418

Then because I usually don't post food photos, or at least not often...This night we ate casually at the Patio Grill on the pool deck.  I had grilled chicken, corn on the cob (I normally don't eat that much so they must have served me my plate load of corn), and lobster mac and cheese.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVImd0Szw1LIxBzs2EBWCnwU?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1538501601

Great memories of that Seabourn cruise!

• Like 33
  • Thanks 8

Jacqui @kazulovely photos of your flowers and garden!  You are really getting a lot done on the clothes donations.  It helps to have a plan to get those many chores finished, doesn't it?

Graham @grapau27you've been having some very nice lunches this week.  Is it too early to tell us what's up?  Anything interesting you want to talk about?  😉

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Good morning,

Happy Thursday.  Thank you for Fleet report and Daily to Rich and the List to Roy.

Roy, I hope you enjoyed your cruise on the QM2.  It seems like you only just embarked and you are talking about disembarking tomorrow and getting a transfer to Penn Station.

I never got around to posting yesterday.  It just seemed to get busy.  I was also very tired and went to bed very early.  Finally got a good night’s sleep.  This has been a real problem for me.

Prayers for Buddy as he enters hospice.  This is always a difficult time for everyone.  It is not an easy decision.  Hopefully the hospice staff will be very supportive to the patient and family.

Interesting collection of days.  Love Chocolate.  Global Forgiveness.  We can all use some of that.  We need some love in this world.  As for taking a walk with my father, it never happened.unfortunately and that was all on his part.  

i don’t agree with the quote.  

Love a Cobb salad but would never be able to finish all that are on the photos that Debbie presented.  I would get about a third through one of those.

Pass on the drink.

We have a New England Canadian cruise planned for next year and I think Corner Brook is on the itinerary.  Looking forward to lots of photos today.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day.

Prayers for everyone, especially on the cares list and cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

Stay safe,

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1