dropping bags off at Guest Services

jkx

11 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

The porters get their couple bucks per bag or your bag doesn't make it on to the ship. This is how it was explained to me by a porter on one of our first cruises anyway. To this day I can't tell if he was joking or not but I'm not willing to find out. 

If I was the porter explaining the bag process to you, I would have inflated the amount of the tip per bag. 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Just now, davekathy said:

If I was the porter explaining the bag process to you, I would have inflated the amount of the tip per bag. 😁

To be fair this was about 12 years ago so.....inflation.  Is it true though?? Has anyone stiffed the porters and subsequently not had their bag show up on board??

😉

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, jkx said:

If I want to carry my suitcase through the terminal and skip the porters, can I go in the ship and drop them off at Guest Services until the room is ready? I am sailing with Oasis

Spend thousands on a cruise, avoid a few bucks for the porters, and then expect guest services to Sherpa your luggage - priceless😂

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 14

43 minutes ago, jkx said:

If I want to carry my suitcase through the terminal and skip the porters, can I go in the ship and drop them off at Guest Services until the room is ready? I am sailing with Oasis

No, you cannot do this.  Your options are drop off with porter outside, purchase the key and drop off in royal theater or lug around until your cabin is ready around 1 pm

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

No, you cannot do this.  Your options are drop off with porter outside, purchase the key and drop off in royal theater or lug around until your cabin is ready around 1 pm

I've seen horribly long lines at GS as soon as boarding starts. I can't even imagine the nightmare that would be dropping off what you carry on. 😵

• Like 6

Passengers who elect to wheel on their own luggage should expect to keep their luggage with them until their stateroom is ready - which can be 1-1:30 PM.  That means hauling it around the common areas of the ship (buffet, Lido deck, elevators, etc).

Much easier to drop it off either with the porters, or if their is a central luggage drop off area at the pier.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, davekathy said:

I've seen horribly long lines at GS as soon as boarding starts. I can't even imagine the nightmare that would be dropping off what you carry on. 😵

Well technically the OP could drop the bags off at Guest Services.

But their cabin will be ready well before they got in sight of the counter. 🔭

• Haha 9

6 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Passengers who elect to wheel on their own luggage should expect to keep their luggage with them until their stateroom is ready - which can be 1-1:30 PM.  That means hauling it around the common areas of the ship (buffet, Lido deck, elevators, etc).

Much easier to drop it off either with the porters, or if their is a central luggage drop off area at the pier.

We actually carried our bags onto a 3 day cruise once. The bags were just carry on ones and we just went to the buffet and had lunch. Even with small carry on bags the hassle wasn't worth it, hence the once. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

If you get the Key you can drop your luggage off in the MDR and they will take them directly to your room for you. Other than that you are lugging them around with you. 

This would be the perfect solution for the OP - spend $35/pp per day to avoid handing $5-$10 to the porter😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

I can't believe that people still think the people you drop you luggage with are porters.  They are longshoreman, and the person you see, does not deliver your bags.  He puts bags on a loading cart.  That is all he does.  Far cry from a porter that walks your bags to your room.  He never steps foot on the ship.  

As for the poster, this is not an hotel.  They don't have room porters on the ship.  If you have luggage, give it to the longshoreman to load or you, or lug them around yourself.  Your only two choices.  

As far as tipping goes, anyone longshoreman tells you that they will make sure your bag does not get on the ship, immediately ask for a supervisor and report this person.  He may not loose his $100,000.00 a year job, but he may never work the easy job on that dock again. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jkx said:

Hoping the JK of your screen name means Just Kidding.

You have your answer already.  Buy the key where they have a special perk of dropping off your carry on. otherwise you are responsible till your room is ready.

1 hour ago, DirtyDawg said:

We actually carried our bags onto a 3 day cruise once. The bags were just carry on ones and we just went to the buffet and had lunch. Even with small carry on bags the hassle wasn't worth it, hence the once. 

We've taken our 25" bags on all recent cruises both in US and abroad. Love the idea of being able to unpack as soon as we get to the cabin.  Been there/done that waiting for suitcases and/or having to find them in the big group at the end of the hall. 

2 hours ago, Mapleleafforever said:

The porters get their couple bucks per bag or your bag doesn't make it on to the ship. This is how it was explained to me by a porter on one of our first cruises anyway. To this day I can't tell if he was joking or not but I'm not willing to find out. 

Someone lied to you to get a few bucks. You don't need to tip the person who takes your bag 10 feet then puts it on the cart. They don't touch it after that. Tip or don't tip, but don't let them intimidate you.

• Like 7