The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday September 16th, 2022

richwmn

Today is American Legion Day, Collect Rocks Day, and Step Family Day

Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.--Neil Gaiman, Fables & Reflections

Meal Suggestion for today - Pinangat
Drink of the Day - Sipsmith Negroni
Wine of the Day - Ryder Estate 2020 Pinot Noir Rosé (Central Coast)
Destination of the Day - Cape Horn and Drake Passage,

Eurodam

Victoria BC, Vancouver Island, BC Canada 20:00 - 23:59

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, BC Canada eta 09/17

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Valdez, Alaska eta 09/17

Nieuw Statendam

Portland, ME 8 - 7

Noordam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska 11:00 - 19:00

Oosterdam

Barcelona, Spain 09:00 - 16:00

Rotterdam

Bergen, Norway 08:00 - 17:00

Volendam

Relocate to Trieste Currently headed to Malaga, Spain eta 9/18

Westerdam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska 07:00 - 13:00

Zaandam

Quebec City, Canada 07:00 - 17:00

Zuiderdam

Tracy Arm & Juneau, Alaska 13:00 - 22:00

0916World.thumb.jpg.5dcba23be396be8404f7ee8408345d52.jpg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 7

Thank you for the TGIF report, Rich.  An interesting collection of days, with a special shoutout to step families and a salute to our veterans.  I've crossed the Drake Passage several times; it's always an interesting experience.  Since I don't eat seafood I'll pass on the meal.  The quote is quite fascinating. 

Will be off to Wegmans and Panera early today.

Today’s care list:

Rest in Peace Her Royal Majesty Queen Elizabeth 9\8/22
Western wildfires
Strength and healing for smitty34877 and family
Marshhawk’s friend Jesse with throat cancer and in denial
Seriousness of Cruzin Terri’s leak damage and insurance issues
HAL Sailer Sister in law feeling too week to meet her brother
From the rotation:
Strength for luvteaching’s friend Karen after Wayne’s 9/3 death
Sandi’s neighbor Linda
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1), msmayor (5/20) and JAM37 (7/7)

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Dfish home under contract
Volendam at sea
Rowsby in Hawaii until 9/28
ger_77 with grandkids
1 day for norseh20 (Regata 9/17 to 9/25)
Bon Voyage sailingdutchy (Oosterdam  to 10/10)
lindaler (Westerdam  to 9/18), Marshhawk (Ecstasy to 9/22),  Oceansaway17 (Adventure OTS to 9/25), Vict0riann (Nieuw Amsterdam  to 9/25), and  Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 23
  • Thanks 9

Good morning.  Happy Friday!  Thanks for the Fleet and Daily Report.

A salute to American Legions, and Canadian ones too.  I have several rocks in the garden, but I don't really collect them.  Good luck to step families, it must be difficult.

Interesting quote.

Looking forward to seeing the recipe for today's meal suggestion.

I'm sure I'll like the drink, hope the wine isn't too expensive.

I've never sailed the Drake Passage, maybe someday.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a wonderful day.   Stay safe.

• Like 20

Good morning, everyone!

After a whirlwind couple of days I am going to take today to relax and enjoy my clean home.  I do have a luncheon with a friend and then a Zoom meeting in the late afternoon.  But, for today, all is well in my world and it is time to concentrate on my upcoming cruise.  I leave three weeks from today.  I should probably try to figure out ArriveCan.  And, I have to figure out where I hid the eMed tests I ordered from Optum.  I'm going to need one of them for this cruise.  

Today's meal is very interesting.  I think I would really like it if the fish wasn't staring back at me from the bowl.  

Pinangat na isda, also called pangat na isda, is a Filipino dish from Southern Luzon consisting of fish and tomatoes stewed in a broth soured with fruits like calamansi, bilimbi, tamarind, or santol. It can also be used to cook shrimp. It is similar to sinigang, but it is not as tart.

Pinangat na isda may also sometimes be referred to as paksiw, a related but different dish which primarily uses vinegar to sour the broth.  Pinangat na isda is also commonly confused with laing (also called pinangat na laing or pinangat na gabi), a Bicolano dish also known simply as pinangat. But they are different dishes.

1741593925_pinangat5.jpg.78ad807c0a0fb57cca65d23c8d5dacc2.jpg

The flavorings in this recipe sound interesting to me.  I'd love to try it, but I'm not sure where I'd find the ingredients.  https://www.kawalingpinoy.com/pinangat-na-pompano/691945641_pinangat1.jpg.f8098c60ab082ff0cecbc7527b198eb6.jpg

This next one is extremely easy to prepare as long as you have the ingredients.  Bilimbi is a substitute for tamarind.  If you can't find either, green mango is a suggestion.  https://pilipinasrecipes.com/pinangat-na-isda-recipe/

137908243_pinangat2.jpg.b77d1da28e3cec3cf504c73ef3e98e55.jpg

274308820_pinangat3.jpg.e6ffff7702d9ed98a6afffdc3d8797a4.jpg

This last recipe has easy to find ingredients.  The recipe is adaptable to your tastes and some suggestions are offered.   https://pinoyfoodguide.com/pinangat-na-isda-pangat-recipe/

1365330141_pinangat4.jpg.95a53230d1f3998d690788292d0cef1c.jpg

Wishing everyone a wonderful day.   Hoping that @smitty34877's brood had a restful night and that tensions are easing.   Also hoping @Cruzin Terri is getting on with the repairs to the house after the bathroom leak.  And I'm happy to see @kazu planning her next cruise.  The sea is a healing balm.  

• Like 19
  • Thanks 11

Thanks for our TGIF Daily, Rich.

Great to see the much needed support for veterans has it’s own day 👍 & I will celebrate step family day as a step mother (but not an evil one 😉).  DH loved to collect rocks from different places we visited.

I really like the quote and am hoping at some stage, I will fly after my fall.  DH and I did Cape Horn & the Drake Passage many years ago on the old Rotterdam.  It was truly a wonderful & unique experience.

C6AA292F-76FD-4A55-9AF4-B8291E985964.jpeg.78ddc1a65eee0cd9e2583d2f5760bdce.jpeg

Well I got good news and bad news on the SUV.  It’s at the shop until at least Monday.  The coil spring broke & as a result so did the strut bearing 😬 I asked how that could have happened - rough roads was the answer - I guess that’s the penalty for driving to the hospital all those months - the roads are rough even though I had every pothole memorized and avoided them.  

I swallowed hard and asked how much I was looking at ( I since found out) and was told that Hyundai and the manager were picking up the cost as a gesture of good will as Jose and I were such good clients.  It would have been covered under the warranty that ran out 2 weeks ago and they are going to make it happen.  OMG.  Relief and gratitude and I confess, a tear in my eye as I thanked them profusely.  A good thing has happened at long last since Jose died.

CA3A66EF-5BAF-40F8-AC28-D7A031EEBB03.jpeg.e177fd88062eb7978e28b56336879411.jpeg

Second good thing - I have two kind volunteers to take over the Bon Voyage threads for me while I am away.  I am so grateful for crystalspin’s and *Miss G*’s help.  That’s a big relief!

F06BBC71-105E-4E46-B813-49744609B555.jpeg.3d8ed60c7c1ad0371168344c69eabc89.jpeg

Looks like another windy cool day out there.  Hopefully I can get a bit more done outside, knee permitting 😉 

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to everyone on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Friday everyone !!!!!!

F28713D2-A9F8-41ED-A2A9-87F534C02A9E.jpeg.0f5680d2d404d377e755afac7b0efa86.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 when / where needed.

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good morning.

Just checking in quickly before breakfast.

Again thank you for all your support and prayers.

@dfishDebbie, Congratulations on your house being under contract.  Hope the sale goes smoothly.

Have to get ready to head out.  Will post more later.

Have a great day.

Terri

Did you retrieve your IPAD?

Roy

• Like 11

Good afternoon from the beach.

where it is 57°F.

I had a hearing test this morning.

Respect for the American Legion as well as our British Legion.

Strange quote.

My late dad fell and hit his head while in hospital and he died shortly afterwards so I don't like today's quote.

I will miss today's food and drink.

Wishing everyone good health and a wonderful weekend.

Graham.

IMG_20220916_121103.jpg

• Like 24

Sipsmith Negroni cocktail:

Ingredients
1 part Sipsmith® London Dry Gin
1 part Sweet Vermouth
1 part Campari®
Garnish: Orange Peel

Instructions
Add all the ingredients into a mixing glass with ice and stir until well-chilled. Strain into a rocks glass filled with large ice cubes. Garnish with an orange peel.

Screen Shot 2022-09-16 at 7.58.05 AM.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 8

Good morning friends!  It was 57F and sunny when I started breakfast (after treadmill).  Same as Graham's @grapau27temperature.  Beautiful sunny days expected for at least the next week.  Best weather we've had all year!

Thanks Rich @richwmnfor the Daily and Fleet Report.  I support our American Legion, and step families.  I don't collect rocks but I'm sure there are many interesting stories from those who do.  Not sure about the menu item, the drink or wine, not to mention the quote!  Thanks also go to Roy @rafinmdfor the Care and Celebration lists.  I pray for everyone here and of course some special prayers for family and friends who need them.  Cheers to those celebrating, including Debbie @dfishwho sold her home and is looking forward to moving to Midland with her dear Sis.  Also cheers to Jacqui @kazuwho finally got some good luck at the car dealership.  How kind of them to cover the costs.🥂  Thanks also Jacqui for the great memes.  Loved them!  Hope Terry @smitty34877and her household got some rest last night and that Tana is doing well.  To Terri @Cruzin Terriprayers for strength to handle all the turmoil in your life lately.🙏

I am off to the dentist for cleaning in an hour.  DH and I both need to make appointments for a crown apiece.  That won't be cheap!  

Today's port/destination was posted here last on Dec. 19, 2021 and it was on page 31 of Rich's posting activity.  Here is a link in case you need to retrieve photos to post.

Today's destination is two fold.  Been to Cape Horn three times and across Drakes Passage two times.  Always an adventure and one I wouldn't miss.   Here's a photo from the 2015 Ruby Princess Cape Horn visit.  There were some moments of fog dissipating.  2/26/201500-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ7jJyM2mvKgH6kSI4fmS7k?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1427215997

And two photos from the Seabourn Quest crossing of Drake Passage.  At first it was rough and windy and then I have photos 4-6 hours later of blue skies and calmer waters.  Early morning.  12/27/201600-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLS9spsAZqwui4inxZJaBMc?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1485042275

Mid-afternoon, perfect!

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKgmIHHeFQdT75LIAeFNofu?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1484527543

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJtYLRezlTjUctr6mARSL2R?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1484527551

I didn't post too many photos that day for two reasons.  We had just returned home from our whirlwind weekend trip to St. Louis to attend DMIL's funeral.  And our Dailyites came through with many photos from their visits to the Drake Passage and Cape Horn.  I'm sure we will see a lot of them today.  Thanks to all who post.

And have a great day everyone!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 8

15 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

@kazuI'm so happy for you that the car dealership is picking up the tab for the car repair.  It's so nice to hear that there are good people and good businesses in this crazy world.   I hope it's the start of good things for you.

+1.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Good morning to all. It is step  parent day every day here.  Tana is DH’s step daughter from his first marriage and DD is my step daughter from our marriage.Both women have been in my life since they were eleven and seven years old. 
Yesterday, as Debbie @dfish predicted, things started to improve here. Consistent physical help will make a huge difference and both Tana and her son will persue the counseling services Hospice provides. The air has

cleared and I think the path forward will be handled in a more cooperative and fair manner.

Thank you so much to everyone who encouraged and supported us. It makes a tremendous difference.  This includes @Horizon chaser 1957, @Seasick Sailor,  @kazu @JazzyV, @cunnorl,  @Crusing-along,

@ottahand7 and  @puppycanducruise. I hope I didn’t miss anyone.

I have to say that I had tears in my eyes when I read @kazu‘s post. I am blown away by the generosity of the dealer and garage staff. It demonstrates just how special Jose was.

The quote is interesting but I am still trying to figure it out. We have not been to the Drake passage but would love to do this someday. My grandfather was a merchant seaman from Sweden before coming to the US in  1920.He told us many tales about going through here on the ships and I wish we had listened more attentively.

Take care everyone

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Good Friday morning!  We are heading to a our large county fair this morning.  DF was very disappointed in the one we went to last month.  I think they had 2000 total attendees.  Probably will be 2000 on the fair grounds today.   

Thank you for the Daily Reports!  A moving quote.  I used to collect large rocks when we first started going to the cabin in 2007.   I had no gardens other than the start of a daylily garden to hold runoff on a hill and some yarrow on another hill.  So I decided to build a dry stack stone wall.   It kept me busy driving the bumpy logging roads looking for the perfect flat rocks.   It still stands but I wished I had gone the extra step and mortared it because ice and frost heave has made it wobbly. I also gathered interesting round rocks that cover the hill in the background.      I will pass on the drink and meal but will enjoy the photos of Cape Horn tonight enjoying a class of chardonnay, not today's but similar.    We will be there late January/early February.    

Prayers for all on our care list.  @kazuthat is wonderful news from you car dealership covering your repairs on your car!  That rarely happens.   Have a wonderful day!!   

wall.JPG

aksent pink unfurling 73022.JPG

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Thanks for our TGIF Daily, Rich.

Great to see the much needed support for veterans has it’s own day 👍 & I will celebrate step family day as a step mother (but not an evil one 😉).  DH loved to collect rocks from different places we visited.

I really like the quote and am hoping at some stage, I will fly after my fall.  DH and I did Cape Horn & the Drake Passage many years ago on the old Rotterdam.  It was truly a wonderful & unique experience.

C6AA292F-76FD-4A55-9AF4-B8291E985964.jpeg.78ddc1a65eee0cd9e2583d2f5760bdce.jpeg

Well I got good news and bad news on the SUV.  It’s at the shop until at least Monday.  The coil spring broke & as a result so did the strut bearing 😬 I asked how that could have happened - rough roads was the answer - I guess that’s the penalty for driving to the hospital all those months - the roads are rough even though I had every pothole memorized and avoided them.  

I swallowed hard and asked how much I was looking at ( I since found out) and was told that Hyundai and the manager were picking up the cost as a gesture of good will as Jose and I were such good clients.  It would have been covered under the warranty that ran out 2 weeks ago and they are going to make it happen.  OMG.  Relief and gratitude and I confess, a tear in my eye as I thanked them profusely.  A good thing has happened at long last since Jose died.

CA3A66EF-5BAF-40F8-AC28-D7A031EEBB03.jpeg.e177fd88062eb7978e28b56336879411.jpeg

Second good thing - I have two kind volunteers to take over the Bon Voyage threads for me while I am away.  I am so grateful for crystalspin’s and *Miss G*’s help.  That’s a big relief!

F06BBC71-105E-4E46-B813-49744609B555.jpeg.3d8ed60c7c1ad0371168344c69eabc89.jpeg

Looks like another windy cool day out there.  Hopefully I can get a bit more done outside, knee permitting 😉 

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to everyone on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Friday everyone !!!!!!

F28713D2-A9F8-41ED-A2A9-87F534C02A9E.jpeg.0f5680d2d404d377e755afac7b0efa86.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 when / where needed.

That is amazing that the repair shop is covering your bill. There are kind people everywhere.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

As soon as DW get’s back from a medical appointment we’ll hit the road and head to daughters for a few days. The oldest granddaughter Lana Jayne is super excited that Pop Pop and Nana are coming to see her.❤️ The youngest Miss Artemis Jade (Arty) the  kleptomaniac will have a big smile and hug for us. Driving across I-10 has to be one of the most boring drives in America but worth it to see family.

Jacqui what a nice deed from you auto repair folks. You don’t hear loyalty stories like that happening much these days.

Okay enough talk got things to do in preparation for trip.

Thanks for the Fleet Report and to our loyal reporters thank you.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone. I’ve been missing in action the last few days but I’ve been very busy and off the computer. It was 48 degrees here in NJ when I woke up. The weather reminds me of the New England mornings I loved so much. It will be close to 80:this afternoon. I’m off to the podiatrist this morning and then to a program of songs from classic films given at our local senior center. Tuesday I attended a program about the Bronx which is where I lived till I was 12 years old, where I lived for a year after getting married and where I taught for 10 years. The presenter was excellent.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 21