No mushrooms in Chops?

Just came off a 4 day Liberty cruise. It was supposed to go to Nassau and Coco Cay but instead went to Puerto Plata. Fine by me, weather was great all 4 days so well done to RCI. Much appreciated. Overall it was a fun cruise with few hiccups. I found the bed hard and our traveling partners each reported the same. Our room steward was able to put something on the mattress to make it better but I'd say by the looks of things, ther beds need some serious attention on this ship. The only other odd thing we found was during our visit to Chops. They had no mushrooms and no mushroom soup? WTH RCI? Seriously? That's like a hamburger joint not serving fries with their burgers. This make so sense whatsoever. Did Elon Musk buy RCI when I wasn't looking?

Anyway - great cruise, weather was perfect, crew exceptional, loads of fun by everyone and food was good so no complaints. 

Edited by nbsjcruiser
typo in my post
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, nbsjcruiser said:

Just came off a 4 day Liberty cruise. It was supposed to go to Nassau and Coco Cay but instead went to Puerto Plata. Fine by me, weather was great all 4 days so well done to RCI. Much appreciated. Overall it was a fun cruise with few hiccups. I found the bed hard and our traveling partners each reported the same. Our room steward was able to put something on the mattress to make it better but I'd say by the looks of things, ther beds need some serious attention on this ship. The only other odd thing we found was during our visit to Chops. They had no mushrooms and no mushroom soup? WTH RCI? Seriously? That's like a hamburger joint not serving fries with their burgers. This make so sense whatsoever. Did Elon Musk buy RCI when I wasn't looking?

Anyway - great cruise, weather was perfect, crew exceptional, loads of fun by everyone and food was good so no complaints. 

Mushrooms <> fries.  Hardly.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, nbsjcruiser said:

They had no mushrooms and no mushroom soup? WTH RCI? Seriously? That's like a hamburger joint not serving fries with their burgers. This make so sense whatsoever. Did Elon Musk buy RCI when I wasn't looking?

No mushroom soup???

That's one of my favorite dishes,

23 minutes ago, nbsjcruiser said:

Lol I was on liberty one time maybe it was last march they ran out of mushrooms and some cheeses. No mushroom soup. People were complaining like crazy. Didnt know mushroom soup so popular. 

2 hours ago, nbsjcruiser said:

I'd say by the looks of things, ther beds need some serious attention on this ship.

The beds are very similar across the line, it’s not just that ship - comfort of the bed is almost as subjective as the food. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Biker19 said:

The beds are very similar across the line, it’s not just that ship - comfort of the bed is almost as subjective as the food. 

We were on Liberty, maybe 4 years ago. And they had the worst beds ever. It was like sleeping on the box spring, and not a mattress. We didn't complain then, but I thought they would have been broken in by now. 

Based upon my Liberty of the Seas Nov 1st and Nov 7th sailings, I blame a great deal of the shortcomings on the Executive Chef:

Chops:  We could SMELL the Colossal Shrimp Cocktail before it was placed on the table.  The tails were slimy to the touch.  Mrs. Paul's makes a better frozen crab cake than is served in Chops:  the heavy, bread crumb crust breaks way to ooze a crablike sludge.  Apple Pie dessert appeared to be a slice of Mrs. Smith's frozen apple pie, accompanied by Cool Whip or some other off brand of non-dairy whipped topping rather than freshly whipped cream, and a truly uninspired presentation which is  disappointing for a restaurant charging a $60/pp supplement.

Giovanni's Table:  served ice cream because they were out of gelato.  It's impossible to believe that the ship's food purveyor couldn't obtain gelato in Fort Lauderdale, and would be even more unbelievable that they "ran out" on the Nov 1st cruise given the restaurant was a ghost town the two nights we dined there.

MDR:  dressing for Cesar Salad ordered several nights was tasteless and very watery.  Cherries Jubilee consisted of  two dark cherries and approximately one dozen bright red maraschino cherries.  Coffee is served with milk because they do not have half & half.  If asked, they will pour some heavy cream into the milk to make their version of half & half.

Café Promenade:  On Freedom there are pitchers of Cream, Milk, Skim and a milk alternative (soy or almond, don't remember which) whereas Liberty only offers Cream & Milk.  When I asked, was told the others are for when you pay for coffee.

I've had the Chop's Mushroom Soup on Freedom and it is indeed good.  The Butternut Squash Soup served on Liberty, I thought, was a "change of seasons" alteration to the menu, and it is good.  But after all of the other examples I've provided, I think it's a cheap chef just cutting corners to reduce food cost by serving the less expensive squash soup over mushrooms.

• Like 1

Let's see.  How well has your grocery store been stocked over the last year?

Everything has gone through periods of shortages.  Why wouldn't this extend to the cruise industry?

It happens.  Welcome to the 2020s

• Like 1

Currently on Rhapsody and certainly no shortage of mushrooms. The cruise is out of Barcelona so maybe they are masquerading as “champiñóns” or something?

I will ask the waiter tonight as he seems like a fun guy!

(Fungi?……… oh never mind! 🤷‍♂️)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

If you watch more TV, you might find a show concerning cruise ship.  On that show, it almost always show how they inspect the food before taking it, and how many times, something is rejected.  Just last night, I saw a ship, reject a pallet of grapes.  Someone will be unhappy about it......and so the mushrooms are the same, like everything else fresh.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, PWP-001 said:

Based upon my Liberty of the Seas Nov 1st and Nov 7th sailings, I blame a great deal of the shortcomings on the Executive Chef:

Chops:  We could SMELL the Colossal Shrimp Cocktail before it was placed on the table.  The tails were slimy to the touch.  Mrs. Paul's makes a better frozen crab cake than is served in Chops:  the heavy, bread crumb crust breaks way to ooze a crablike sludge.  Apple Pie dessert appeared to be a slice of Mrs. Smith's frozen apple pie, accompanied by Cool Whip or some other off brand of non-dairy whipped topping rather than freshly whipped cream, and a truly uninspired presentation which is  disappointing for a restaurant charging a $60/pp supplement.

Giovanni's Table:  served ice cream because they were out of gelato.  It's impossible to believe that the ship's food purveyor couldn't obtain gelato in Fort Lauderdale, and would be even more unbelievable that they "ran out" on the Nov 1st cruise given the restaurant was a ghost town the two nights we dined there.

MDR:  dressing for Cesar Salad ordered several nights was tasteless and very watery.  Cherries Jubilee consisted of  two dark cherries and approximately one dozen bright red maraschino cherries.  Coffee is served with milk because they do not have half & half.  If asked, they will pour some heavy cream into the milk to make their version of half & half.

Café Promenade:  On Freedom there are pitchers of Cream, Milk, Skim and a milk alternative (soy or almond, don't remember which) whereas Liberty only offers Cream & Milk.  When I asked, was told the others are for when you pay for coffee.

I've had the Chop's Mushroom Soup on Freedom and it is indeed good.  The Butternut Squash Soup served on Liberty, I thought, was a "change of seasons" alteration to the menu, and it is good.  But after all of the other examples I've provided, I think it's a cheap chef just cutting corners to reduce food cost by serving the less expensive squash soup over mushrooms.

I too wasnt impressed by liberty's version of chef salad dressing. Watery. 

3 out of 3 times meat undercooked. Even after she knew I wanted my meat no red inside I got it red. 

Oh well. I went after dinner and got pizza. Waiter never once checked back with me to ask if the meat was ok so I could get one cooked not red inside. Ordered MW.  

Was ready to be done with liberty and looking forward to allure. Gotta be better. Liberty imo a bit worn out.

• Like 1