The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday November 19th, 2022

richwmn

Today is International Men's Day, National Adoption Day, and Women's Entrepreneurship Day

I have hated words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right.--Markus Zusak, The Book Thief

Meal Suggestion for today - Crispy Mushroom and Muenster Sliders
Drink of the Day - Knob Creek Rye Old Fashioned
Wine of the Day - Quady North 2015 Cabernet Franc (Applegate Valley)
Destination of the Day - Fairbanks, Alaska

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida eta 11/20

Koningsdam

San Diego, California 07:00 - 16:30

Nieuw Amsterdam

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas 08:00 - 15:00

Nieuw Statendam

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida 07:00 - 16:00

Oosterdam

Miami, Florida 07:00 - 16:00

Rotterdam

Half Moon Cay 09:00 - 15:00

Volendam

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida 07:00 - 17:00

Zaandam

Maputo, Mozambique 08:00 - 17:00

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico Riviera eta 11/20

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Cairns, Queensland, Australia

Westerdam

Auckland, New Zealand

1118World.thumb.png.b55a5f34651bf81e1c0a20eb41c2b732.png

• Like 22
  • Thanks 9

Good morning and thanks for the Daily and Fleet Report.

Lots of snow here and more on the way.  I'm dreaming of a cruise.  Hubby will get the snowblower out to clear the driveway.  Bertie will enjoy the snow on our walks.

Interesting days, there are many men who should be applauded for their contribution to our lives.  Adoption is a wonderful thing.  I support women entrepreneurs.

I like the quote.

I'm not sure about the meal, but I know I'd like the drink.  Hope the wine isn't too sweet.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 22

Good morning from beautiful Southwest Florida.

Another cool morning but the high is going to be 81 which is better.

Good selection of days.

Good quote from a good book and movie.

Pass on the meal but an Old Fashioned is a great cocktail.

My finger is getting better, still a little sore but swelling is down which is good.

It's Saturday morning so it's out to breakfast in a few minutes to our favorite diner.

Thanks for The Daily, everyone stay well and have a great day. 

• Like 22

Good afternoon.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich.

Man's day sounds good as does women's entrepreneurs day.

Interesting quote.

Today's food sounds nice 

Prayers for everyone on the care list.

Bon Voyage for all of the Dailyites cruising.

Best wishes everyone.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 20

Good morning.  Thoughts and prayers for all in need. Very, very, below freezing cold here today in SE PA.  Too early for this and I am a cold weather lover.  Going to get colder for the next few days before it moderates.

Plans for this weekend include finishing up Thanksgiving prep and starting some Christmas shopping.  Going out with 

my sister this morning to begin this holiday tradition.  We will need to bundle up!

Have a great weekend.  Katherine 

• Like 20

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich! Slightly warmer today with a fairly decent marine layer masking the sunrise. 

Roy, thank you for sharing your cruise and keeping our lists. Off to a couple of early classes at the gym. Need to get out in the yard. Bindi walks. And wrapping up the day at a friend’s for dinner. 

Some days are like this!

968E344D-D2DB-4244-BC7F-93CB4EC133D5.jpeg.9932cd21fbbdb826f1817c5798e8b871.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Quady North 2015 Cabernet Franc (Applegate Valley)

Another wine I would love to taste. And I would love to meet the winemaker. Several online distributors with prices starting at $35.00.

93 Wine Enthusiast 

Distributor Notes 

Applegate Valley clearly can grow Cab Franc superbly well. Another undeniably tasty wine featuring notes of coffee, black cherries, and ancho chili, we really like the pure expression of Cab Franc going on here. Consider serving this with an ancho and coffee-dusted skirt steak.

During a recent visit to the store, President for Life Herb Quady and his Quady North wines really won us over. Honest, no-nonsense, humbly priced wineries aren’t as easy to come by as they were a decade ago, and we’re thrilled to add another one to our family of featured producers.

Quady North is one of the few Southern Oregon wineries we’ve featured. That’s a deeper discussion for another time and more space but to be succinct, they poured the most interesting and delicious line-up of Southern Oregon wine we’ve tasted from a single producer, in a decidedly unpretentious manner.

Background: Herb grew up on his family’s winery in Central California with a compulsory love for Muscat, but after an accidental exposure to the world of Rhone varieties at the hand of the infamous Randall Graham, he became obsessed with the idea of making (gasp!) table wines. After earning his winemaking props at Fresno State, he eventually found his way into the great unknown of Southern Oregon.

Herb and his family moved from California in late 2003, convinced that Southern Oregon was a region on the verge of exploding onto the wine scene. The climate, with warm days punctuated by afternoon winds and cool nights, reminded him of Southern France, and he was convinced that Rhone varieties would thrive.

In 2005, the Quady family purchased 100 acres, which contained the remains of an old motocross track and several dozen aging vehicles, and set upon the long task of converting it into an Estate vineyard.  The next year, Herb and Meloney made the first vintage from purchased fruit while Herb worked as a winemaker at Troon Vineyard. Sourcing from distinct sites at disparate corners of the region, the first vintage was of excellent quality, and showed the terroir of each site.  

The original planting was named "Mae's Vineyard" after elder daughter Margaux Mae.  Mae's is planted to Syrah, Viognier, Cabernet Franc, Grenache, Tannat, Malbec and Orange Muscat. In 2011, a second planting was named for younger daughter Serafina Eevee and was planted to Grenache Blanc, Marsanne, Roussanne, Cabernet Franc, Grenache Noir and Malvasia Bianca.  Both are "LIVE" (Low Input Viticulture and Enology) certified sustainable.

As the Estate Vineyards came into bearing, the Quady's continued to purchase fruit from the original sites, eventually forming a business that would manage these sites and more. These vineyard sites: Serenade (near Ashland), Steelhead Run (near the Applegate River), Sam's Valley (in the upper Rogue) and the Frank's Vineyard (now called Serra) would form a critical part of the winery's portfolio, and are the source of many great wines.  

Over time, the portfolio has expanded to become Pan-Rhon-ish, with a distinct Loire-ish influence. Recently, Grenache has played a larger part, becoming the basis of Dry Rose, a GSM blend, as well as the early-release "Bomba.”

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 3

International Mens Day. Something to celebrate but I am surprised this day has not been cancelled, if you know what I mean. I learned on my Alaska cruise in June that not only had the would Eskimo had been cancelled for the tribal name Inuit but also the name Eskimo Pie. That made me so mad that I only eat Moon Pies now 😀

• Like 6
  • Haha 10

Opened my email here at the hotel and now HAL wants copies of passport, covid vaccines, and yellow fever shots.  Thankfully there was a copy machine in the lobby.  What would the people flying in today do?

Knob Creek Rye Old Fashioned cocktail:

Ingredients
2 parts Knob Creek® Straight Rye Whiskey
2 dashes Angostura® Bitters
½ part Demerara Syrup*
Garnish: Lemon Peel

Instructions
Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass and stir until properly diluted. Strain over fresh ice (ideally one large cube) in a rocks glass. Express lemon oil over cocktail and rub around the rim before placing into the glass.

*To make Demarara syrup combine 2 parts Demarara sugar with 1 part hot water. Mix until syrup consistency.

Screenshot 2022-11-19 at 8.00.04 AM.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 6

Good morning everyone. Thanks for the daily report, recipes and lists.  Nice collection of days today. The meal suggestion sounds like it might be quite nice as does the drink.  I haven’t been to Fairbanks and look forward to seeing the photos.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list and to those that need them. Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today!

• Like 16

A very good Saturday morning to all.  

it is a cool 45 degrees on Hilton Head and going up to 60. Not very sunny today.

Since I now have all my selections for the house done, I can turn my attention to other things. i have to finish migrating my email to the new platform before Hargray shuts me down.  I have been putting it off.  Some sites are very easy to edit and some others are very difficult.  CC was not the easiest by far.  Another site required that I open a new account, losing all my history of orders I had ever placed with them.  They just cannot change the original email.  Go figure!

Lots of financial work to catch up on to make sure we are solvent.

I just received notice from Oceania that it is time to check in for our cruise.  That means it is 21 days away.  This is good.  We only have to put up with the dump where we are staying for less than that before we leave for Miami on Dec. 7.  Then we will have 3 full weeks of luxury before we again return to this place.  

Hopefully, by that time, the work on our house will be well on its way and we will be close to going home.  

Thank you to @richwmnfor the Daily and Fleet Report.  Nice set of days.  

Interesting quote.  

I may try the meal.  I’ll wait for Debbie to see the recipe.

Not sure about the wine or the drink.

While I have been to Alaska, we did not venture as far as Fairbanks.

My neighbor Joanne is still in the hospital.  No change in condition.  i thought something had changed yesterday as the Aide’s car was at her house,  Not sure why it was there.

@StLouisCruisersSandi, have a great cruise. Itinerary looks wonderful.

@Quartzsite Cruiserhope DH is doing okay today.  You have a lot on your plate.  Prayers for you.

Prayers for all who are on the cares list and all those who need them.

Cheers for those who are celebrating and cruising.

Have a great day everyone.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 15
  • Thanks 5

10 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Opened my email here at the hotel and now HAL wants copies of passport, covid vaccines, and yellow fever shots.  Thankfully there was a copy machine in the lobby.  What would the people flying in today do?

Knob Creek Rye Old Fashioned cocktail:

Ingredients
2 parts Knob Creek® Straight Rye Whiskey
2 dashes Angostura® Bitters
½ part Demerara Syrup*
Garnish: Lemon Peel

Instructions
Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass and stir until properly diluted. Strain over fresh ice (ideally one large cube) in a rocks glass. Express lemon oil over cocktail and rub around the rim before placing into the glass.

*To make Demarara syrup combine 2 parts Demarara sugar with 1 part hot water. Mix until syrup consistency.

Screenshot 2022-11-19 at 8.00.04 AM.png

Dixie, made me mad too when I saw that email!  I asked at the desk at this hotel and she said she’d copy them but she didn’t do the yellow fever card the right direction and cut off some of the info. Guess the Volendam Guest Services folks will be making lots of copies this cruise. 

I will try to go to the M&G tomorrow, masked of course. Will you be there?

• Like 15

24 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Dixie, made me mad too when I saw that email!  I asked at the desk at this hotel and she said she’d copy them but she didn’t do the yellow fever card the right direction and cut off some of the info. Guess the Volendam Guest Services folks will be making lots of copies this cruise. 

I will try to go to the M&G tomorrow, masked of course. Will you be there?

Yes we will. 

• Like 7

Good Morning from the Nieuw Amsterdam.  Thanks for the daily fleet report.  I'll pass on today's meal suggestion, instead our final dinner onboard will be in the Tamarind.  Breakfast in the PG was rough, the mimosas had no OJ. We will survive. 

At HMC with the Rotterdam. 

20221119_083917.thumb.jpg.04bb7f190f0056ee75f62e435081010a.jpg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

@StLouisCruisersand @summer slope you started our day with the sturm and drang about yellow fever shots begin again in our house.   I got a waiver from my doctor because I take Enbrel.   It was unsigned so yesterday I sent it back to him asking for his signature on it. SASE included.  We have time.  Thankfully DF John has a Wellness exam Wednesday and he will have to demand one from his doctor.  He is 72 and has no desire to get off at Devil's Island.   

We had another 12--15" dump of snow in the last 18 hours with more due with strong winds starting around noon today.   I got both bird feeding areas shoveled out and I will go shovel in front of the garage in a while.  The snow has been such that it isn't overwhelming the plows.   John can't shovel because he had a heart attack in 2016 and has a untreated widow maker at the back side of his heart.  

Thank you for the Daily and Fleet Reports Rich!   An unusual port for the day unless it is a riverboat port because I think Fairbanks is landlocked.   Nearest I got there was Denali.   I will appreciate my DF John today.   He can go out and climb a ladder and use our long snow rake to bump the snow off from the dish.  Three times so far and I am sure more today.   It was a massive task for me when I lived here alone.    

I will pass on the meal and I will take my Knob Creek neat.   I have never heard of Applegate Valley before a new viticultural area for me.  Wine sounds nice @cat shepard.    No news on my DB, I am leaving my DSIL alone as it is probably all she can do at home to keep DB's bird feeders filled and then driving to the rehab.   There was going to be a memorial service for my cousin who died earlier this month but the church website says it is closed so I am sure it will be rescheduled.   Prayers for all on our care list and for the people of Ukraine.  @rafinmd thanks for keeping the lists and for sharing your voyage on the Eurodam.   

Today I will try to get my Thanksgiving prep started.  Turkey moved to the fridge yesterday.  I will roast the turkey legs for stock and maybe make the cranberries today too.  I have an article I have to write for the Michigan Garden Clubs website on invasive plants perhaps I will get motivated today since shoveling is probably not as bad as yesterday.    I took advantage of the Black Friday sale to book a B2B on the Eurodam for 2024.   I was able to get a veranda cabin with a bath tub and DF will have his favorite Tamarind available too.    Have a wonderful Saturday!!    Nancy 

snowrise 111922.jpg

snowrise 2 111922.jpg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Yes we will. 

see you there!  DH doesn’t attend them so just me.   By the way I just looked closer at our vax card copies and she copied the front of DH’s twice instead of front and back.  And she copied the back of my vax card twice. So that has to be re-done too. If Gen Z weren’t on their phone constantly they could handle a task like this easier. Maybe she was on the night shift and I can get a not so tired person to do it for me. I’m sure doing your own copies at your hotel worked perfectly!

• Like 11

7 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

see you there!  DH doesn’t attend them so just me.   By the way I just looked closer at our vax card copies and she copied the front of DH’s twice instead of front and back.  And she copied the back of my vax card twice. So that has to be re-done too. If Gen Z weren’t on their phone constantly they could handle a task like this easier. Maybe she was on the night shift and I can get a not so tired person to do it for me. I’m sure doing your own copies at your hotel worked perfectly!

I only made front copies of the Covid card because they only wanted 2 shots and 2 boosters. See you at the m & g. 

• Like 9

Thank you for the Saturday report, Rich. I'll celebrate all 3 of the days today and hoping things aren't too stressful today for @kazu as she leaves the Oosterdam.  I'm glad Fairbanks is billed as a destination rather than a port;  it's one of the few places I will miss on my Grand Alaska next year.   Not sure what to think of the quote and I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Apple, Pear, and Cucumber Salad, Cracked Pepper Beef Tenderloin (holding the shrimp), and Vanilla ice cream as served last night on MS Eurodam:

dishes18.jpg

@Lady Hudson's post has me a bit stressed out trying to figure what to carry onto the Auto Train so I don't freeze if I step outside while waiting for my car to be delivered.

Still stormy but my foot feels a bit better for some walking on inside corridors today.

Today’s care list:

Medical emergency on Oosterdam
Kazu severe foot injury
Ottahand7 Brother in rehab
Terri’s next door neighbor Joanne with stroke and complications
Jazzyv digestive issues
Cruisin Terri continuing autoimmune flareup
From the rotation:
Luvteaching DH recovering from fall and facing dimentia
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1) and JAM37 (7/7)
HAL Sailer Sister in Law with aggressive cancer therapy
Cruisin Terri leak damage

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Alianchief in California
Good riddance Marshhawk boss from hell
Welcome home Norseh2o, Kazu , 0106, jimgev, Heartgrove and ger_77
7 days for Ichiban Nekko and Himself (Nieuw Statendam 11/26 to 12/3)
1 day for Cruise Suzy, Lazey1, and HAL Lover (Rotterdam 11/20 to 11/30)
Bon Vouage StLouisCruisers and Summer Slope (Volendam 11/19 to 12/17)
Bon Voyage Damcruiser (Nieuw Statendam 11/19 to 1/14/23)
RednckBob (Beyond  to 11/20), CrazyForCats (Nieuw Amsterdam to 11/20), and me (Eurodam to 11/20) at sea
Cunnorl (Noordam to 1/2/23),  and  Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam 10/1 to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12) at sea

Roy

• Like 19
  • Thanks 10

Good morning, everyone!

It is a cold but beautiful morning here in mid-Michigan.  We got a dusting of snow overnight, but places north and south of me got dumped on.  The storm split to go north and south of Midland and then reconnected to go on to dump on Buffalo.  I'm making a list of what I still need from the grocery store for Thanksgiving.  I have the turkey ordered and it will be picked up Wednesday.  I like the fresh ones I can get at the local butcher shop.  I just need the fresh stuff - the rest has been purchased.  

Today's meal is a good one for the vegetarian members of the family.  The mushrooms are coated on one side with panko and muenster cheese is filled in the cap of the mushroom.   It doesn't take much to make them.   https://weareliferuiner.com/crispy-mushroom-muenster-sliders-2/

2063974571_crispymushroomsliders1.thumb.jpg.14830a5ad3324a738ace557eb24a7b22.jpg

This next one doesn't include the cheese, but it could easily be added.   https://www.kosher.com/recipe/mushroom-sliders-8066

1344766384_crispymushroomsliders2.jpg.2ccb053f008de95ddf6ae539d1bca58f.jpg

This last one is a variation on a mushroom swiss burger.  https://iambaker.net/mushroom-swiss-sliders/

102493993_crispymushroomslider3.thumb.jpg.6fb8ecbd32df686c7e6207571d62b4d1.jpg

Sounds like a great menu item for watching football.  Bon Voyage to @summer slope and @StLouisCruisers.   @Cruzin Terri I'm glad you have a cruise coming up to take you away from the house woes for a while.  I'm hoping @kazu has an easy disembark and trip home.  @rafinmd Roy, thanks for your reports from your cruise.  @Crazy For Cats I'd trade this meal for the Tamarind any day of the week.  @marshhawk I think you are lucky to be rid of that awful boss.  Move forward and best of luck.  

• Like 17
  • Thanks 5

Good morning Dailyites. Thank you Rich for the Fleet Report.

Bon Voyage Sandi and Dixie!

image.png.069d04a7eda2433863c5e3782278a966.png

Welcome back Jacqui!

image.png.6747b9274b116a084a50c3005a5c90f2.png

Last night's Thanksgiving party was so much fun. We had tons of food, played musical bingo, and our total giving for Blue Santa was $1300.

Thank you Roy for posting while sailing. I can't wait to be out on a BHB soon. And to Jacqui who hung in there while injured, safe travels..

Have a wonderful weekend. Prayers and Cheers 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1