The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday November 30th, 2022

richwmn

Today is National Computer Security Day, National Mousse Day, and Barbados Independence Day

Get busy living or get busy dying.--Stephen King, Different Seasons

Meal Suggestion for today - Pork Chops with Balsamic-Braised Cabbage and Apple
Drink of the Day - Beam Applebees
Wine of the Day - Francois Lurton 2018 Hacienda Araucano Gran Araucano Cabernet Sauvignon (Colchag
Destination of the Day - Fortaleza, Brazil

Eurodam

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida 07:00 - 16:00

Koningsdam

Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico Riviera 08:00 - 21:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Falmouth Jamaica 08:00 - 17:00

Nieuw Statendam

Puerto Plata-Amber Cove, Dominicana 08:00 - 17:00

Oosterdam

Callao-Lima, Peru

Rotterdam

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida 07:00 - 16:00

Volendam

Parintins, Brazil 8:00am 4:00pm

Zaandam

Luanda, Angola 07:00 - 17:00

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida eta 12/01

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Geraldton, Western Australia 08:00 - 17:00

Westerdam

Penneshaw, Kangaroo Island, Australia 7:00 AM To 5:00 PM

221058027_1130Wprd.thumb.png.83fe4277e438efd722ebd7af3303f443.png

• Like 28
  • Thanks 12

Beam Applebees Cocktail:

Ingredients
1 part Jim Beam® Honey
1 1/2 cups sparkling apple juice
Lime Wedges

Instructions
Squeeze lime wedge into glass and on rim and discard. Measure and pour Jim Beam Honey into glass, fill completely with ice and top with sparkling apple juice. Garnish and serve.

Screenshot 2022-11-30 at 6.48.09 AM.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 9

Good morning from beautiful Southwest Florida.

Nice day coming up, sunny with low humidity and a high of 85.

Good selection of days and a good quote.

The meal works for me.

The USA with a win yesterday at the World Cup  and they advance to the round of 16 and every game now is either win or lose and go home. 
Happy to say I’m off to the golf course in a few minutes.

Thanks for The Daily, everyone stay well and have a great day.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Report.

A windy day here.

Computer security is very important.  I like chocolate mousse.  Hooray for Barbados Independence Day.

Interesting quote.

The meal sounds good, so does the drink.  I hope the wine is tasty too.

I haven't been to today's port.

Prayers for everyone.

Have a wonderful day. 

Stay safe.

• Like 25

Thank you for the Hump Day report, Rich.  I'll pass on the Mousse but celebrate the other 2 days.   King's statement rings true to me.  Looks like I've visited Fortaleza just once on the Prinsendam 2019 Grand South America.  I'll take the pork chops but pass on the cabbage.  My alternative is Sunshine Fruit Medley, Braised Lamb Shank, and Pineapple Crisp as served on MS Prinsendam November 30, 2013.  I have a feeling @grapau27 may be on a B2B

Today’s care list:

RIP Jazzyv BFF dad 11/27/22 Funeral 12/3
Mamaofami grandson with Covid and Carol possibly exposed
lindaler in path of coastal storm
From the rotation:
Crabbbi Patti dealing with Dad’s dimentia
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
Luvteaching DH recovering from fall
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1) and JAM37 (7/7)

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Mister67 cleared for golf
Promising new doctor for dfish
luvterching DH doing great in rehab
Work started on Terri’s house
Quartzite Cruizer DH coming home
4 days for Mister67 (Nieuw Amsterdam 12/4 to 12/11)
3 days for Dobiemom (Discovery Princess 12/3 to 12/10)
1 day for Lady Hudson (Enchantment OTS, 12/1 to 12/9)
Welcome home Cruise Suzy, Lazey1, and HAL Lover
 Ichiban Nekko and Himself (Nieuw Statendam 11/26 to 12/3), SusiekIslandGirl (Island Princess to 12/12)  StLouisCruiser  and Summer Slope (Volendam  to 12/17) at sea
Cunnorl (Noordam to 1/2/23),  Damcruiser (Nieuw Statendam  to 1/14/23), and  Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12/23) at sea

Roy

• Like 23
  • Thanks 16

Thank you Rich, Roy, Dixie & Debbie! The Report & Daily saved my sanity yesterday. I spent almost three hours getting my car serviced yesterday morning because the dealership’s appointment system was down!  It was a madhouse when I arrived. And worse when I left. What should have taken an hour took almost three times as long. I had not even had coffee yet. Sigh. Glad that is over. 

Today should be so much better. At least the weather this week has been amazing. Off to the gym. 

I am happy to say that Dailyites do NOT need this advice….

2F686075-1142-4183-83AA-9CC1A537B867.jpeg.10958e3ea2150281f977cf749856183e.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Francois Lurton 2018 Hacienda Araucano Gran Araucano Cabernet Sauvignon

What a name! This Cab from Chile sounds very interesting. It has excellent reviews from critics and consumers. It is not too expensive.  I found several online distributors with prices starting at $35.99.

Winemaker Notes

Beautiful, very deep red robe with cherry glints. Very aromatic nose, characterized by intense fruit, with fresh blackcurrants and complex notes of thyme and garrigue. Powerful on the palate, coated with concentrated tannins, that nevertheless show great finesse. The finish is very long, full-flavored and complex.

JS93 James Suckling
Red plums, blackberries, dried herbs, chocolate and toasted nuts on the nose. It’s full-bodied with firm, dusty tannins. Structured with concentrated, ripe dark fruit and spice. Flavorful finish with length.
RP92 Robert Parker's Wine Advocate

I was quite impressed by the nose of the 2018 Gran Araucano, a Cabernet Sauvignon from Colchagua, with a marked varietal and place character and quite restrained and balanced in this vintage. It has more balsamic flavors and plenty of tannins. It has stuffing to develop nicely in bottle.

WE92 Wine Enthusiast
The nose of this Cabernet gives way to red bell pepper, brick dust and baking spice aromas. A lush, deep and layered palate is jammy and thick, while flavors of peppery blackberry, fresh herbs and spicy oak arise. On the finish, coffee and mocha notes mix with ripe berry flavors. Drink through 2025.
Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 7

Thanks for our Hump Day Daily, Rich.

Happy Independence Day, Barbados!  Computer Security is so important to us all.  The quote is quite true.  Could have sworn I once heard it used in a James Bond movie many years ago, but my memory may be playing tricks on me.

Looks like it’s bad weather in too many places.  Earthquakes in Alberta, Tornadoes in the United States and we get rain and wind tonight and then yes, you guessed it - it’s going to freeze.  I don’t know if my foot is going to be strong enough to de-ice my driveway or even if I have enough stuff.  ‘Sigh’

@rafinmdI think you can take me off the rotation, thanks.  My foot is improving - I can’t dance yet and can’t walk far but I can walk very carefully sometimes without the cane! It’s definitely improving daily 👍 

Now I’m watching the long term forecast for my flight - hoping it changes 🙏🏻 

8BAF4714-3849-4005-ACBD-B3292A3CA991.thumb.jpeg.29de38799da39ff03849048dd4bfaeb5.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and a 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

932E3318-80CB-41D7-A622-865A2F90FAB2.jpeg.5afad3e49fabd5e6dd7597a36f36024f.jpeg

Have a great Wednesday everyone and stay safe.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 6

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Computer safety is so important; when DS was here this weekend, he cleaned out our computer and said he found a "little Sochi" in there - apparently it had a lot of fur in it.  Oops.  I haven't made a mousse in ages, and congrats to Barbados on your celebration of independence.

Well the cold weather is working it's way in; this morning we are at -21C (-7F), and there's a strong wind making it feel like -28.  Brrr.   DH is heading out to the farm with his son today to check on things, so he'll be bringing his heavy winter clothing and emergency supplies just in case.   I'm going to stay home (where it's warm) and might make up my first batch of nuts & bolts for the holiday season.

@aliaschiefsafe travels today.

@kazuI'm happy to hear your foot is improving - don't overdo it, though!

I like the pork chop portion of today's menu suggestion, but don't have any available.  Instead, I know we've got a container of chili in the freezer that will be thawed and heated along with rice and a cucumber salad at the kitchen table for dinner tonight.  I also have a box of chocolate mousse mix that I'm going to make for us for dessert.  And wine.

Prayers for all who are hurting, cheers to all the celebrations out there!  Stay safe, be well.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Thank you Rich, Roy, Dixie & Debbie! The Report & Daily saved my sanity yesterday. I spent almost three hours getting my car serviced yesterday morning because the dealership’s appointment system was down!  It was a madhouse when I arrived. And worse when I left. What should have taken an hour took almost three times as long. I had not even had coffee yet. Sigh. Glad that is over. 

i don’t know where your dealership is but I had the same experience yesterday. Car was ready but the guy went to lunch and i had to wait until he came back to get my car.  The Daily saved my sanity as well.  I was there for 3 1/2 hours.  I could not imagine what was taking so long for routine maintenence.

Terri

• Like 20

Good morning Dailyites. Goodness, yesterday we sat outside for a late lunch at 82 degrees. Today's high will be 56. Sigh...

I have an 8 am dentist appt. My teeth were cleaned the day before Thanksgiving and I still have a swollen gum. Just want to be sure it's ok. Do not want problems while we are away. Then I'll drop off our luggage at UPS, sending along a blessing they'll arrive safely in our cabin. 

I would love the recipe today and get a few tips from Debbie. I also want Roy's lamb meal. 

Jacqui, you have been in my prayer book for a lonnnnnng time! Take care of that foot sister!! @MISTER 67 don't overdue at the golf course today. Prayers lifted for our fellow Daily-ites. 

We have a busy 10 days. Fun busy days! With only 1 check up on Friday. Meeting 20 friends at our local pub tonight for goodbyes. Seems like everyone is heading somewhere for the holidays. We gave a great fellowship here..

Wishing you all a blessed day, and I mean YOU!!

image.png.250adc4a3a683339df758b3072a0f829.png

image.png.8a5ad8af8e1b3a245cc99cd94a6bd330.png

Edited by Seasick Sailor
  • Like 16
  • Haha 8

Good morning friends!  We're just sitting in our cabin watching the parade of tenders and three deck-high boats moving folks back and forth.  We will eat lunch early then go to pick up priority tender tickets to head to the tenders and our meeting point at the dock.  We have an afternoon excursion to the Boi Bumpa Festival in Parintins, Brazil.  @summer slopeDixie and her DH are attending that show too.  We're sure hoping the Parintins Convention Center has some AC!

Speaking of Dixie, last night when we walked into the Ocean Bar for our pre-dinner drink and music there was Dixie and her DH waiting for us to arrive.  Again, we had some nice chats and enjoyed the company. 🥂

Today's port of call is Fortaleza, Brazil, which is a new one here.  That port is not on our itinerary, and is one we've never been to before.  Sorry there are no links to a previous post for this port so if you've been to Fortaleza and have any photos, feel free to post them today.🙂

On our way to our cabin last night we saw some crew members setting up the gingerbread village on deck 3 in the open atrium area.  We took a couple photos this morning and I can show you a few of their fantastic creations in a second post (photos on my phone and not our baby laptop).  I have not seen a Christmas tree on the ship yet, but I think work will begin soon on that front.🎄

Have a great day everyone!  Prayers for all in need and especially anyone in the path of or already affected by the huge storms moving across the south.  Cheers to the rest of you!

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, kazu said:

Could have sworn I once heard it used in a James Bond movie many years ago, but my memory may be playing tricks on me.

The quote is from the Shawshank Redemption. Andy says it to Red in the prison yard near the end of the movie.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 5

Good morning.  Cold and rainy here in SE PA and will still be cold tomorrow on our way to the port.  But at least we will be on a cruise!

Last minute packing today after yesterday spent getting a pedicure, hair cut and picking up a few needed items from Walmart.  I just need to keep a move on today so I have everything finished by 6 pm at the latest and have a restful evening.  Nephew driving us to the port (about 1 1/2 hours away).  Makes it much easier dealing with all the luggage and a wheelchair.  Makes pickup easier too.  No specialty restaurants this trip due to DH’s dental issues but we will survive. Always enough to eat on a ship.  We do have a reservation at Fleet Landing in Charleston on Saturday for lunch.  Nice restaurant right at the pier but very busy so we always make a reservation.  No other port stop plans for this trip.

As always, thanks for all who post and prayers for all in need.  And a holiday note — take time to enjoy this wonderful season that we celebrate.  Best wishes to all.  Katherine 

• Like 27

Photos of the Gingerbread Village on Volendam. 

7B389680-9202-4181-A870-22EAD98732F6.thumb.jpeg.dc4a647acb9c82ba67b2539227403c5e.jpeg

4E547A09-49C5-4ADE-BED2-CC8B4B384018.thumb.jpeg.f8b5e4ac7a7572b59448fb18ad9215aa.jpeg

700CD811-428D-4381-A722-E62DD84DA7C2.thumb.jpeg.fa75a5ca5362d9dca66bf6a347649b60.jpeg

in addition, last night Naki Ataman had his second performance and I was there to see the 9:30 show. I enjoyed his playing and the drummer Jordan from the ship’s orchestra was fun to watch as well. 
A7EF9F0B-6C9E-4BFF-916E-2BAAE550EEB2.thumb.jpeg.53009324c46493b7a5b400f2396e9a26.jpeg

7FAC3380-D05B-41FF-9822-232875112FFD.thumb.jpeg.23bf3701bd4b9201ff887ed6363bb286.jpeg

• Like 32
  • Thanks 6

Good morning, from a cold (for Texans) and windy central Texas.  It has been very pleasant the the last three days with warm weather and sun.  It felt good to be outside yesterday afternoon, even if it meant washing the cars.  The last three days have been warm enough to have the top open on the Smart.  That will not be happening today or tomorrow.

Today will be my next to last trip to Waco and the rehab facility.  That will happen after I get a much needed haircut.  I figure, I'll be sticking close to home for the next week or so, until things settle down, and I know DH will manage without me for a short time.

The cookies are packed in the containers and the kitchen is clean.  I decided to take some of the cookies to the rehab facility as a thank you for all their care support and encouragement over the past almost five weeks.  By the time DH and I figured out approximately how many are on the nursing staff, the therapy staff, and the house keeping staff, I'm taking more than half the cookies there. Even those on the house keeping staff offer encouragement and praise at progress achieved.   It looks like I may need to make a couple more batches so there will be enough to give the neighbors, the kids, and have some for us.  So, the messy baker will strike again in a week or so. 

Computer security is very important, and something we learned early with DH's software company.  I don't remember the last time I made chocolate mousse.  (What other kind is there?)  I'll celebrate Barbados Independence Day.

I'll follow the first part of today's quote. I'm far from ready for the second part.

We'll skip the pork chops and drink.  The wine sounds nice, but it's more than we'd pay to have just for us.

Fortaleza is not a port we have visited in Brazil.  I hope to see some lovely pictures later today.

@MISTER 67  Hope you have a good day on the golf course.  What am I thinking, it will be a good day because you are able to pay again.

@aliaschief  Bruce, safe travels even though it will be a long day.

@kazu  Jacqui, I'm glad the foot is getting better.  Take care when walking outside.

@ger_77  Gerry, I don't envy you your winter weather.  I can't complain about ours even if it is cold for us.

@Cruzin Terri Terri, and @kazu  Jacqui, I was lucky when I used to take the car in for an oil change, etc.  The dealership prioritized the cars whose owners were waiting.  They even hung a tag on the rearview mirror that said "customer waiting".  That was almost 30 years ago, so I won't be surprised it that has changed.

@GTVCRUISER  Santa was on the Koningsdam when we cruised last year or this spring.  I don't remember which cruises he was on with us.

@Seasick Sailor  Joy, I hope the dentist appointment goes well and there isn't a major problem.

@Lady Hudson  Katherine,  BON VOYAGE TO YOU AND YOUR DH TOMORROW! 🛳️

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, thank you for the pictures.  The bakers do such a good job with the gingerbread villages.  Also, thanks for the pictures from Naki's second concert.

Lenda

• Like 25
  • Thanks 5

52 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Getting up early in California and will be heading to airport in an hour. It’s going to be a long day won’t get home around 7 PM. Long layover in LA!

Thanks for the reports and post.

@MISTER 67good to hear your back on the course.

On a second thought as I was getting ready for trip I realized I’m not fit to fly. I have had a head cold that everyone has experienced when granddaughter brought home from pre school. My head is draining like a sieve and I’ve been hacking up phlegm enough that I have strained a chest muscle. Everyone has tested negative for Covid since this started and all negative. It’s a barnstormer head cold that I don’t need to spread around.

We will try to fly home again Monday. 

• Like 23
  • Thanks 4