The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday December 11th, 2022

richwmn

Good morning.  I remember being issued a UNICEF box at school and carrying it with me as I trick-or-treated.  Everyone had coins prepared in piles to hand out along with candy.  That was back in the day when some neighbours made you perform a trick before they’d hand you a treat.  When we immigrated to Canada, from England, we arrived in October.  On Halloween we went to my aunt/uncle/cousins’ house (they’d immigrated two years prior) and stayed in because we had no idea what the heck was going on.  That was the first and only time I was ever scared on Halloween.  👻

I tried a Hurricane my first time in New Orleans.  I couldn’t believe I could walk down the street with it and kept waiting for someone to stop me.  That was a fun trip.

I won’t be making butternut squash risotto but I will be roasting it to go with our roast pork and Brussels sprouts this evening.  I had some use-or-lose bananas so I’ve made a lovely banana nut bread for dessert.

I haven’t been around or posting much these last few weeks.  Some devastating health news from a family member kind of shut me down, along with some other issues.  Posting in this thread, today, shows me that I’m coming out of it.  Now that I am starting to function, again, I have a lot to do.

Healing thoughts and prayers go out to those who need them.  I will take a look at Father David’s sermon later, @grapau27.  Thank you.  Have a peaceful day, everyone.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 7

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Sunday report, Rich.  I feel too many things become apps and overload our devices but will applaud the other 2 days, and like the Billy Sunday quote.  I visited Djupivogur on my very first cruise on the Elegant Explorer in 2011.  I'll pass on the meal.   My alternative is Chilled Peach and Ginger Soup, Quail with Apricot Bread stuffing, and Cherry Crisp as served on MS Prinsendam December 11, 2013.

Today’s care list:

RIP FF Zachary Paris and Marvin Grube LODD, 12/7/22  Schuylkill County Pa.
HALsailer DSIL with cancer and very weak
summer slope DH with covid and both quarantined
lazey1 with post cruise Covid
USN59-79 with leg fracture
Marshhawk DH family illnesses
Ichiban Nekko with post pneumonia fatigue
From the rotation:
Crabbbi Patti dealing with Dad’s dimentia
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
Granham upcoming appointments December 12 and 13
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1) and JAM37 (7/7)

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Rotterdam

rd1211.thumb.JPG.558b45646d087e0c809f136

and my next BHB in Everglades

na1211.thumb.JPG.e4a77655b2d6b4d13bb3bab

6 days for Kazu (Koningsdam 12/17 to 1/7/23)
Bon Voyage Seasick Sailor (Rotterdam 12/11 to 1/25/23)
Welcome home Mister67
SusiekIslandGirl (Island Princess to 12/12), RedbeckBob (Nieuw Statendam to 12/17),  StLouisCruiser & Summer Slope (Volendam  to 12/17) and Cruisin Terri (Insignia  to 12/28) at sea
Cunnorl (Noordam to 1/2/23),  Damcruiser (Nieuw Statendam  to 1/14/23), and  Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12/23) at sea

Roy

1 hour ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning to all and thanks for the Daily. Snow and rain are expected tonight and tomorrow morning but it is not like rain what our Northern friends will be experiencing.  @kazu, Jacqui, I am so hoping you can make it to San Diego for your cruise.Fingers and toes crossed.

There is an app I have used recently that is for takeout and delivery. Yesterday we had a Diner delivery for dinner and had a happy group around the table. We have not been to the port but would love pictures. @ger_77, we are on the same page regarding the quote. 

@grapau27, Graham, I am sending my prayers that the procedures go well tomorrow. I am sorry you have had to do this again after your last experience.Hugs to you both.

Yesterday I called my son to tell him that we would not be able to travel to his home for Christmas. I am unable to drive and DH  stopped  driving several years ago.I felt  badly because I so appreciate the effort he makes to incorporate my mom’s Swedish traditions into the festivities. My grandchildren now bake four varieties of cookies that  I grew up with and the  Christmas Eve. smorgasbord is great. Hopefully next year will be an improvement!

Enjoy the day but be careful out there.

38 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

Good Sunday morning!  Thanks for Fleet and Daily Reports.   I agree about the apps, so many phones come pre-loaded with them and I never get around to deleting them.   I have about 4 I use regularly.    Food drives for animals are important especially for those in shelters and also people who are having a hard time feeding their pets.   Today's quote is a good one in my book.   So many go to church but don't follow Matthew 7 and judge others.    As Christ said they only pay "lip service".  Thank you for Father David's sermon today @grapau27and I hope all goes well with your skin cancer surgery tomorrow.   

I will pass on the risotto and the high powered cocktail.   The wine sounds great.  I like Cote de Rhone wines and they are good values.   

Prayer's for all on our long care list and for the people of Ukraine.   DB was laying in bed when I visited yesterday.    He did have PT and OT on his schedule.   He said he is so weak but hopefully he will finally bounce back.   I had planned a 70th birthday party for me with my siblings on the 18th and inviting my DB and DSIL and at the same dinner have a mini surprise 80th birthday for him since we will be at sea on his birthday in March.  Sadly that won't happen.    He can be there in spirit.    I pray he will be home for Christmas.  What a 4 months this has been.   

Our afternoon will be watching football in 2 separate rooms since DFs Vikings and my Ravens are on at the same time.  Later in the day we have a holiday wine dinner with our local chapter of the American Wine Society.   Tomorrow I will be late checking in as I have an 8:00 appointment for my annual skin cancer check.   

@StLouisCruisersYour DD's Holiday tree is beautiful!  

That you all for your good wishes for tomorrow.

Graham 

• Like 10

Good morning from a cloudy, windy and much cooler central Texas.  It is currently 56F and may reach 62F this afternoon.  We had a nice rain with thunder about midnight.  We are expecting rain again tomorrow afternoon through Tuesday morning.  I hope it ends before we head to DH's doctor's appointment Tuesday.

I agree there are too many apps on my phone and tablet, and I only use a small percentage.  I'll often go the web-site instead of the app. I can support the food drive for needy animals and UNICEF Day for Change.

The Billy Sunday quote is one I totally agree with.  I've seen too many professed Christians acting very un-Christian like and spouting hatred and bigotry.  I also agree with @ger_77 Gerry, that you can be a Christian or spiritual without going to church.

We'll pass on the meal and the drink.  I'm not sure what we'll have for dinner tonight, but it will be easy and can be eaten in our laps.  The kitchen counters are still covered with cookies, which hopefully will be completely decorated by dinner.  The drink with so many varieties of rum would put me under the table.  The wine sounds good, and we've enjoyed many bottles of Cote du Rhone.

Djupivogur is one Icelandic port we have missed, although we did stop at another port on the east side of Iceland on the Prinsendam in 2017.

@kazu  Jacqui, sending positive thoughts that the weather gods will look kindly on you, and you'll be able to fly to San Diego on time.  If not, with going early, there is wiggle room to get there on other days, which I hope is not the case.

@mamaofami  Carol, I'm sorry you were not able to attend the Bar Mitzvah in person, but glad you were able to watch via zoom.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, that is good news that the Christmas decorations arrived and are being put up now.  Your DD's tree is lovely.

@smitty34877  Terry, I'm sorry you will not be able to go to your son's for Christmas.  Hopefully, this time next year (and really, way before then) you will be as good as new.

@ottahand7  Nancy, I'm sorry your DB will not be able to attend your 70th birthday party.  I'm glad he is getting PT and OT, and hoping he regains his strength soon.

@*Miss G*  I hope the family member with the devastating health news is doing better.

@grapau27  Graham, best wishes for your procedure tomorrow and your doctor visit Tuesday.

Lenda

• Like 20
  • Thanks 6

Good morning all. I have had my grandson visiting this weekend since I won't see him for three months due to cruising. We had a ball. Friday we went to the art walk where his dad, my son was a big puppet. It was fun and lots to see. Then last night we went to watch a musical boat parade. About thirty boats all decorated and paraded by throwing gifts and showing off all their lights. It was fun and beautiful and interesting. The bad thing was there was so many people trying to get on the dock attached to a restaurant sponsoring the event. There were also people standing on the upstairs patio above the dock. About half way through the dock suffered from all the weight and started with breaking boards. Someone cried that Run the dock was sinking. Well, many did and the panic was bad. The dock didn't sink, only suffered broken boards and will need repair. More suffered from trying to get off then from the dock having cracked boards. It was a valuable lesson to teach my grandson. We just stood by a supporting piling and hung on so we were not knocked down. I told him I would tell him if we were in danger and we saw the whole parade without ever being in danger. It was the "fire" in a theater mentality that he learned to ignore and use common sense. 

Hope everyone on here is having a good day. Prayers for those who need them. Thanks for all that make this a great place to be.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone!

We had some snow last night, just enough to make the trees look pretty.  I'm sure it will be gone by this afternoon unless we get more of it.  My walk will probably be indoors today as the driveway and sidewalks can be a bit slick, especially in heavily treed areas.  

I like today's quote.  What happens in the church needs to carry forth once you leave and far too often, it doesn't.  I'm skipping the meal today - way too many carbs for me.  The drink sounds like it would be good on Hallowe'en.  I hope someone posts pictures of today's port.  I'm going there next summer, God willing.  

As I mentioned before, today's meal is carb heavy.  It is most likely delightful to eat, but it would knock me out.  This first recipe calls for a brown, short grained rice instead of the usual white.  It gives it a nice nutty flavor that pairs well with the butternut squash.    https://cookieandkate.com/roasted-butternut-squash-risotto/

2043718916_butternutsquashrisotto1.thumb.jpg.09903688f95701cb852e410f6042635b.jpg

This next one uses the regular Arborio white rice and the cooking method is a little different.  But, I would bet the results are just as good.  https://www.loveandlemons.com/butternut-squash-risotto/

997845507_butternutsquashrisotto2.thumb.jpg.a4a8617cdcf78f1665b154dfac014ee6.jpg

This last one lists the carb count as 52 g per serving.  Wow!  That is almost double my limit.  I try to stick to 30 per meal.  No wonder I get sleepy looking at it.  But, I bet it is good!  https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a44148/butternut-squash-risotto-parmesan-recipe/

208415949_butternutsquashrisotto3.jpg.f31079f222a48930837425bbe5bbbb2d.jpg

Enjoy, whatever you fix for dinner.  I loved my salmon and snow peas last night.  I might have to repeat!   Rapid healing to all who are ailing and wishing you all a wonderful day.

Nice food photos Debbie.

You are perfectly correct in your analysis of today's quote about church and we all should practice what we preach in church and be true Christians and nice people at all times not just during the 90 minutes church service.

Graham.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning from a cloudy, windy and much cooler central Texas.  It is currently 56F and may reach 62F this afternoon.  We had a nice rain with thunder about midnight.  We are expecting rain again tomorrow afternoon through Tuesday morning.  I hope it ends before we head to DH's doctor's appointment Tuesday.

I agree there are too many apps on my phone and tablet, and I only use a small percentage.  I'll often go the web-site instead of the app. I can support the food drive for needy animals and UNICEF Day for Change.

The Billy Sunday quote is one I totally agree with.  I've seen too many professed Christians acting very un-Christian like and spouting hatred and bigotry.  I also agree with @ger_77 Gerry, that you can be a Christian or spiritual without going to church.

We'll pass on the meal and the drink.  I'm not sure what we'll have for dinner tonight, but it will be easy and can be eaten in our laps.  The kitchen counters are still covered with cookies, which hopefully will be completely decorated by dinner.  The drink with so many varieties of rum would put me under the table.  The wine sounds good, and we've enjoyed many bottles of Cote du Rhone.

Djupivogur is one Icelandic port we have missed, although we did stop at another port on the east side of Iceland on the Prinsendam in 2017.

@kazu  Jacqui, sending positive thoughts that the weather gods will look kindly on you, and you'll be able to fly to San Diego on time.  If not, with going early, there is wiggle room to get there on other days, which I hope is not the case.

@mamaofami  Carol, I'm sorry you were not able to attend the Bar Mitzvah in person, but glad you were able to watch via zoom.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, that is good news that the Christmas decorations arrived and are being put up now.  Your DD's tree is lovely.

@smitty34877  Terry, I'm sorry you will not be able to go to your son's for Christmas.  Hopefully, this time next year (and really, way before then) you will be as good as new.

@ottahand7  Nancy, I'm sorry your DB will not be able to attend your 70th birthday party.  I'm glad he is getting PT and OT, and hoping he regains his strength soon.

@*Miss G*  I hope the family member with the devastating health news is doing better.

@grapau27  Graham, best wishes for your procedure tomorrow and your doctor visit Tuesday.

Lenda

Thank you Lenda.

On Tuesday I have a hospital appointment at Biomechanics appliance department about my foot pain and a doctor's appointment later.

Graham.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning to all and thanks for the Daily. Snow and rain are expected tonight and tomorrow morning but it is not like rain what our Northern friends will be experiencing.  @kazu, Jacqui, I am so hoping you can make it to San Diego for your cruise.Fingers and toes crossed.

There is an app I have used recently that is for takeout and delivery. Yesterday we had a Diner delivery for dinner and had a happy group around the table. We have not been to the port but would love pictures. @ger_77, we are on the same page regarding the quote. 

@grapau27, Graham, I am sending my prayers that the procedures go well tomorrow. I am sorry you have had to do this again after your last experience.Hugs to you both.

Yesterday I called my son to tell him that we would not be able to travel to his home for Christmas. I am unable to drive and DH  stopped  driving several years ago.I felt  badly because I so appreciate the effort he makes to incorporate my mom’s Swedish traditions into the festivities. My grandchildren now bake four varieties of cookies that  I grew up with and the  Christmas Eve. smorgasbord is great. Hopefully next year will be an improvement!

Terry

I sorry about you missing Christmas with your DS & family this year.  I really love that they are carrying on your family traditions. Praying that next year is different for you. 

I will be traveling back to New England for the first time since COVID, and my Thanksgiving visitors picked out the cookies they want to make from the ones that my Mom & I used to make. Traditions are a lovely way to share memories about loved ones who have passed. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Here’s the latest Celebration tree from DD. She deserves an award in my book!  Tuesday the 13th she’s having surgery on one foot so will be off her feet for 2 weeks and we will all be doing the Christmas dinner for her. She deserves a break after all she does for her family, her school and community.  

Love this gorgeous December tree. 26DA5433-82F7-446C-A28C-618E8D36375E.thumb.jpeg.9e1faa500e8986b01681a0a824293d7a.jpeg

2DF7B8A8-9F78-4386-A81C-6E31B959C126.thumb.jpeg.d60512e283ab60156eb8309910111aec.jpeg

Lovely tree Sandi and nice spindles on the staircase.

Graham.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

@lindaler Scary story about the dock.  I’m glad you could teach your grandson an important lesson about how to stay safe and use his common sense.

We celebrated the holidays at Palm Beach Zoo Lights last night.E0B231E4-B7E0-43D5-9846-A49D31F8F7D4.thumb.jpeg.104933a0df7d6ec8852d78f37f205fd2.jpeg

66A0CF62-AA62-41CC-B8C9-7EBAABA1A6D2.thumb.jpeg.81dc2c0c67cfd8520baa163b53c61252.jpeg

09CB3506-6229-4E19-B7F4-F124042481F3.thumb.jpeg.8d427c5dc0c41f8a67d11d1dcb9b81d6.jpeg

Healing thoughts for all who are facing challenges.  Cheers to all who are sailing & celebrating.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Good morning.  I remember being issued a UNICEF box at school and carrying it with me as I trick-or-treated.  Everyone had coins prepared in piles to hand out along with candy.  That was back in the day when some neighbours made you perform a trick before they’d hand you a treat.  When we immigrated to Canada, from England, we arrived in October.  On Halloween we went to my aunt/uncle/cousins’ house (they’d immigrated two years prior) and stayed in because we had no idea what the heck was going on.  That was the first and only time I was ever scared on Halloween.  👻

I tried a Hurricane my first time in New Orleans.  I couldn’t believe I could walk down the street with it and kept waiting for someone to stop me.  That was a fun trip.

I won’t be making butternut squash risotto but I will be roasting it to go with our roast pork and Brussels sprouts this evening.  I had some use-or-lose bananas so I’ve made a lovely banana nut bread for dessert.

I haven’t been around or posting much these last few weeks.  Some devastating health news from a family member kind of shut me down, along with some other issues.  Posting in this thread, today, shows me that I’m coming out of it.  Now that I am starting to function, again, I have a lot to do.

Healing thoughts and prayers go out to those who need them.  I will take a look at Father David’s sermon later, @grapau27.  Thank you.  Have a peaceful day, everyone.

I am so sorry to read this. Praying that that the condition improves.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

In August, we stopped in Djupivogur while aboard the N. Statendam.  We took an excursion to “The Valley of the Waterfalls.” Shortly after leaving the port, we got off the main road onto a one lane dirt/gravel/rocky road. A total of seven vehicles participated in this caravan over a pretty barren landscape. The ride was a bit rough, but we were able to see numerous beautiful waterfalls during our four hour tour. Prior to returning to the port, we stopped in an open vista and had coffee/hot chocolate and either “matrimonial” cake (an Icelandic specialty) or a rolled up pancake.

280D916D-3EE3-4B1E-9389-5634B5D03F1D.thumb.jpeg.45a9cab72794e241939a4d9a80ab7306.jpeg

FB31536D-3D35-4EC4-B61C-732EB17FF335.thumb.jpeg.96badd15c025a414800937c2d8687a73.jpeg

ABF635B9-AD28-4BEB-9066-0C1A214CD21C.thumb.jpeg.c5b0319a56b1f13951b08eea8c3ae4bf.jpeg

B52CF117-59E7-418B-A708-21CA85C902EC.thumb.jpeg.4e9df200aeea87f529aba68654a9cecb.jpeg

5E1D81DC-0743-4265-96E3-CCF61D8C04C8.thumb.jpeg.2b08e6ae74cbb26a6a59b7b5f182bb89.jpeg

0C4C7626-F27A-4227-9DB1-A5AD91E7D43C.thumb.jpeg.edcc6a88fe0c796acad0a4a04dafb9de.jpeg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 6

33 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

I'm so sorry to hear you had devastating health news from a family member and our prayers 🙏 are with you and your family.

Graham x 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Mtn2Sea said:

In August, we stopped in Djupivogur while aboard the N. Statendam.  We took an excursion to “The Valley of the Waterfalls.” Shortly after leaving the port, we got off the main road onto a one lane dirt/gravel/rocky road. A total of seven vehicles participated in this caravan over a pretty barren landscape. The ride was a bit rough, but we were able to see numerous beautiful waterfalls during our four hour tour. Prior to returning to the port, we stopped in an open vista and had coffee/hot chocolate and either “matrimonial” cake (an Icelandic specialty) or a rolled up pancake.

280D916D-3EE3-4B1E-9389-5634B5D03F1D.thumb.jpeg.45a9cab72794e241939a4d9a80ab7306.jpeg

FB31536D-3D35-4EC4-B61C-732EB17FF335.thumb.jpeg.96badd15c025a414800937c2d8687a73.jpeg

ABF635B9-AD28-4BEB-9066-0C1A214CD21C.thumb.jpeg.c5b0319a56b1f13951b08eea8c3ae4bf.jpeg

B52CF117-59E7-418B-A708-21CA85C902EC.thumb.jpeg.4e9df200aeea87f529aba68654a9cecb.jpeg

5E1D81DC-0743-4265-96E3-CCF61D8C04C8.thumb.jpeg.2b08e6ae74cbb26a6a59b7b5f182bb89.jpeg

DSC_9208.MOV 21.15 MB · 0 downloads  

0C4C7626-F27A-4227-9DB1-A5AD91E7D43C.thumb.jpeg.edcc6a88fe0c796acad0a4a04dafb9de.jpeg

Great photos.

• Like 4

Thank you Rich, thank you Roy, thank you Debbie, thank you Cat Shepard, and thank you Dixie for your daily contribution! And thank you all for being here!

We visited the port of the day, Djupivogur, last year on our circumnavigation cruise of Iceland on Viking Ocean. Djupivogur is a town and municipality located on the eastern end of Iceland. It is the site of an art work by Sigorour Guomundsson. "The Eggs of Merry Bay" are a replica of the 34 nesting birds that live in the area. It also has the Langabou which is one of the oldest commercial buildings still in existence in Iceland with the south wall dating back to 1790. 

For the cruise, it was a stepping off port for other paid excursions in the area. We chose to participate in the VO  "Included Excursion" which was an hour or so walk around the town culminating with a recorded musical performance emanating from a boom box inside of a re-purposed oil tank. The accousitics were actually very good!

Tendering to shore.

DSC08146.thumb.JPG.05f6185deb0f7df9f9f5e710e692f5fa.JPG

The tender landing.

DSC08125.thumb.JPG.d0c4191e821c2fd94ac092e015264e4c.JPG

Downtown Djupivogur.

DSC08126.thumb.JPG.e02377e0e04f31c28bde970475554b7c.JPG

The Re-purposed Oil Tank on the outskirts of town.

DSC08135.thumb.JPG.ecf5ccf2f517f5d1ca69640112b03948.JPG

DSC08132.thumb.JPG.11112a507cb77bf8df639228bfa30af2.JPG

The OIl Tank ceiling.

DSC08133.thumb.JPG.adc9902a658e79738694be5f52131cf9.JPG

Merry Bay 

DSC08136.thumb.JPG.57428036fe0d2c6997d59745000236fc.JPG

The Eggs of Merry Bay, or "Eggin i Gleovik"

DSC08137.thumb.JPG.f95b1cb73fa00785f0ba14ef638237d0.JPG

Closeup of one of the eggs.

DSC08138.thumb.JPG.35456448c3c6e79d27fb73bd4513a0ac.JPG

The South wall of  "Langabuo"

DSC08141.thumb.JPG.7f31185ae8174dd2a51bbb2632cdeeac.JPG

Tendering back.

DSC08143.thumb.JPG.cd4e94ddac93934da3a23a6ffd20e472.JPG

Stay Safe!

- Jack

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 6

2 hours ago, summer slope said:

Good morning.  Tested DH myself this morning and it was negative.  We have to wait until the 14th for the ship to test him.  I'm 3 days negative, never positive.

YAY 😃 Really good news.  Wish you didn’t have to wait until the 14th though for the ship to test 😔 

2 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Jacqui, I am so hoping you can make it to San Diego for your cruise.Fingers and toes crossed.

Thanks.  I’m watching - once the system moves in there will be no rest from storms for at least 4 days from the sounds of things.

2 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Oh, I am sorry to hear this 😔 So disappointing for you 😢 Hoping next year is much improved for you all 🙏🏻 

1 hour ago, *Miss G* said:

I am so sorry to hear this 😢. Prayers for your family member and you dealing with this 🙏🏻 

1 hour ago, ottahand7 said:

DB was laying in bed when I visited yesterday.    He did have PT and OT on his schedule.   He said he is so weak but hopefully he will finally bounce back.   I had planned a 70th birthday party for me with my siblings on the 18th and inviting my DB and DSIL and at the same dinner have a mini surprise 80th birthday for him since we will be at sea on his birthday in March.  Sadly that won't happen.    He can be there in spirit.    I pray he will be home for Christmas.  What a 4 months this has been. 

These 4 months have been so tough for you 😔. Hoping your DB does bounce back and he can be home for Christmas 🙏🏻 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Good morning all,

We’ve got rain! RAIN!  (We might just have to explain the concept to the young’ens). 

Love the quote. Tonight is our fire department’s food drive/ parade. They started it just after 9-11 with several nights of parading their trucks decorated with lights and inflatables, with Boy Scouts walking along to collect the food. The initial year they drove up a block, parked and got on the loudspeaker asking people to come out and bring non-perishable food. Hope they still collect a significant amount with the rain.

Tonights dinner is HALs lobster Mac and a key lime pie.

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 20

40 minutes ago, kazu said:

I am so sorry to hear this 😢. Prayers for your family member and you dealing with this 🙏🏻 

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

I'm so sorry to hear you had devastating health news from a family member and our prayers 🙏 are with you and your family.

Graham x 

1 hour ago, cat shepard said:

I am so sorry to read this. Praying that that the condition improves.

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Thank you for your kind words and sentiments.  Sadly, that is not how it ends and emotions are too raw to go into it.  I appreciate all that has been said, unsaid, and will be said.  You are a very kind group. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 8

@kazuHope you make it to your cruise. I know about this winter travel stuff. A number of years ago I was trying to get to the Princedam for the GSA. Our weather was on and off snow and the roads around me kept closing so I could not drive out. I had to take my 4 dogs to their kennel and then catch a flight. Some people on my roll call were taking bets as to whether or not I would make it (I did). I allowed extra time but was a nervous wreck by the time I got to Ft. Lauderdale. I needed the extra time before the cruise just to settle my nerves. I swore I would never cruise in Jan again... but guess who is signed up for a cruise in Jan. 2024.

It is sunny here right now and is supposed to be fairly warm with the storm headed our way. Tomorrow may be a totally different story. I went to the store yesterday and stocked up on the basics.... don't think we will get much snow, but the ice scares me.

Back to house cleaning and maybe watching a game this afternoon..... or reading.

Susan

• Like 18

Good Sunday Morning Dailyites!  Another rainy day in GA.  Storms are coming in from the west this afternoon, expecting lots of rain.  Which is now unfortunately way too much rain, and with that storm that @kazuposted about,  we will get hit even harder on Tuesday.  That's quite a storm.

@grapau27Thank you for posting Father David,  and good luck on all of your medical procedures that you are having this week.

I love butternut squash, my dad was responsible for veggies on the holidays, so we always got mashed butternut, mashed potatoes and mashed turnips.  Personally I like them roasted instead, but growing up with two yankee parents, every thing in the 50's and 60's was boiled and mashed.  Oh, and creamed onions.  I still love those. It's amazing that with all that soupy food we ever developed bones.  My mother would even make creamed celery.  (gag me).

I would really love to go to Iceland , my friend Debbie says she wants to go, but DH says it's just another way to have to spend money...Which means to have to work more.  LOL.  I do appreciate all the photographs that you all post.  DH says he wants to post, but does not know how.

For the last three Saturdays we have been watching our favorite holiday movies, which means we will really  have to cram them in next weekend.  Week, one, was Love Actually, Week two was The Holiday, Week 3 (last night) was The Last Holiday.  And now we are down to the Oldies,  Holiday Inn, White Christmas, and then on Christmas Eve, It's a wonderful life, and Scrooged.   

So back to the DH wanting to post pictures, what do you all think of Shutterfly?  Can I gift him that for Christmas?  I know with the loss of sight in one eye, he has not been taking as many pictures, but he was a good photographer, and I think he needs to get that hobby back.

cc6315a27a296ba58d2a837e8f16a7cf.jpg

slide_330152_3244153_free.jpg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

We got some s-n-o-w this morning, not so much as to make roads impassable and I don't think it will stay, but I don't need to go anywhere today.

For a moment I read App as appetizer, but I suppose it means device apps. Our SPCA will give bags of pet food to anyone who asks, but the location is hard for the humans of many needy pets to reach. I have given cat food to a food pantry but I'm not sure that they really want it there. I'm not qualified to comment on the Billy Sunday quotation, but a friend who is a Methodist pastor often posts in the same vein.

I didn't really like the idea of butternut squash risotto, but I mentioned it earlier to a friend who is a culinary-school trained chef, and he thought it would be good.

This morning I taught Hebrew and Prophets classes. As soon as I finish lunch I'm going to try to nap with the Junior Cat. She has tried to give me sleeping lessons but they haven't really worked.

953712049_kardashianssavedchristmas.thumb.jpg.227e72ffd023b45f9cee271012d5e366.jpg

• Like 15
  • Haha 3

Is Shutterfly now selling subscriptions for cloud services?

When I used it, it was a means to purchase prints and photo books.

I’ve subscribed to SmugMug for years and use it for cloud storage and sharing. I like it because I can customize my webpage and use it to host pictures and videos for my website. I have control over what I share and with whom, and I can give upload links to whoever I want to be able to upload into a folder. I can also allow free downloads at full resolution or custom resolutions.

• Like 11

Good morning all!

Feeling a little better yet this morning, this thing is finally letting go.  I can't comment on the food and drink yet, nothing much sounds good to me yet.  I think this is the first time in my adult life I haven't had chocolate or wine for a couple weeks! Horrors!!!   😅  I love the quote and agree with others and @ger_77.  

I hope everyone has a good day and anyone under the weather feels better soon.  Prayers for all on the care list and cheers to all on the celebrations list.

• Like 18

Good rainy afternoon, the snow showers never arrived.

In today’s paper, a joint memorial service will be held next Saturday for our fallen heroes Zachary Paris and Marvin Gruber.

According to the obituary, Zachary was born here in Reading and was a graduate of Fleetwood HS in 2005.💔💔

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, *Miss G* said:

Thank you for your kind words and sentiments.  Sadly, that is not how it ends and emotions are too raw to go into it.  I appreciate all that has been said, unsaid, and will be said.  You are a very kind group. 

Sending my care and concern!  Sometimes things are just too difficult to even talk about!   Adding my care for all Unspoken concerns💞 that lay heavy on our hearts. 

Agree with others re the quote,  

A63F65A0-31BF-427B-A9DA-5659DCEDE7FB.jpeg

16A76D8A-2C73-43C4-974C-4C0F22FBFB5F.jpeg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you for today's lists Roy.

Hopefully I will have had my skin cancers removed before I post tomorrow.

Graham.

Wishing you the best for tomorrow, Graham.

5 hours ago, mamaofami said:

Yesterday AM I was lucky enough to zoom the Bar Mitzvah of our cousin’s grandson which took place outside Boston. My kids and 2 grandsons were there in person but I couldn’t make the five hour trip. I love modern technology when it works, but I was sad and happy at the same time. Happy to see relatives I haven’t seen since the start of the pandemic and sad that I couldn’t be there in person.Besides seeing the entire ceremony, my daughter kept sending me pictures of the luncheon. 

It was wonderful that you could watch the ceremony, but you are right - it isn't the same as being there and seeing people in person.

5 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Here’s the latest Celebration tree from DD. She deserves an award in my book!  Tuesday the 13th she’s having surgery on one foot so will be off her feet for 2 weeks and we will all be doing the Christmas dinner for her. She deserves a break after all she does for her family, her school and community.  

Love this gorgeous December tree. 26DA5433-82F7-446C-A28C-618E8D36375E.thumb.jpeg.9e1faa500e8986b01681a0a824293d7a.jpeg

2DF7B8A8-9F78-4386-A81C-6E31B959C126.thumb.jpeg.d60512e283ab60156eb8309910111aec.jpeg

Your daughter is very talented.   Beautiful tree.

4 hours ago, summer slope said:

Good morning.  Tested DH myself this morning and it was negative.  We have to wait until the 14th for the ship to test him.  I'm 3 days negative, never positive.

I'm glad you were never positive and that your DH is now negative.  Bummer on having to wait until the 14th for the ship to test.  

4 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Yesterday I called my son to tell him that we would not be able to travel to his home for Christmas. I am unable to drive and DH  stopped  driving several years ago. I felt  badly because I so appreciate the effort he makes to incorporate my mom’s Swedish traditions into the festivities. My grandchildren now bake four varieties of cookies that  I grew up with and the  Christmas Eve. smorgasbord is great. Hopefully next year will be an improvement!

How disappointing that you cannot go this year.  I would run shuttle service for you if I were closer.  Let's keep next year in mind and make it happen.

4 hours ago, ottahand7 said:

DB was laying in bed when I visited yesterday.    He did have PT and OT on his schedule.   He said he is so weak but hopefully he will finally bounce back.   I had planned a 70th birthday party for me with my siblings on the 18th and inviting my DB and DSIL and at the same dinner have a mini surprise 80th birthday for him since we will be at sea on his birthday in March.  Sadly that won't happen.    He can be there in spirit.    I pray he will be home for Christmas.  What a 4 months this has been.   

Prayers that he will be home for Christmas.  I know the hospital and rehab staff really work to get patients home by then.

3 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

What an interesting memory.  How old were you?

That sounds really good!   

I am sorry about the devastating health news for a family member.  Warm thoughts to you that you can find peace and comfort.  If we on the Daily can give  you some support, let  us know.  We're here to do that. 

3 hours ago, lindaler said:

Good morning all. I have had my grandson visiting this weekend since I won't see him for three months due to cruising. We had a ball. Friday we went to the art walk where his dad, my son was a big puppet. It was fun and lots to see. Then last night we went to watch a musical boat parade. About thirty boats all decorated and paraded by throwing gifts and showing off all their lights. It was fun and beautiful and interesting. The bad thing was there was so many people trying to get on the dock attached to a restaurant sponsoring the event. There were also people standing on the upstairs patio above the dock. About half way through the dock suffered from all the weight and started with breaking boards. Someone cried that Run the dock was sinking. Well, many did and the panic was bad. The dock didn't sink, only suffered broken boards and will need repair. More suffered from trying to get off then from the dock having cracked boards. It was a valuable lesson to teach my grandson. We just stood by a supporting piling and hung on so we were not knocked down. I told him I would tell him if we were in danger and we saw the whole parade without ever being in danger. It was the "fire" in a theater mentality that he learned to ignore and use common sense. 

Hope everyone on here is having a good day. Prayers for those who need them. Thanks for all that make this a great place to be.

What an experience.  It is a good thing you were with your grandson.  

3 hours ago, Mtn2Sea said:

DSC_9208.MOV 21.15 MB · 0 downloads  

Thank you for those pictures!  You are helping me decide what to do there.

2 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

Thank you Rich, thank you Roy, thank you Debbie, thank you Cat Shepard, and thank you Dixie for your daily contribution! And thank you all for being here!

We visited the port of the day, Djupivogur, last year on our circumnavigation cruise of Iceland on Viking Ocean. Djupivogur is a town and municipality located on the eastern end of Iceland. It is the site of an art work by Sigorour Guomundsson. "The Eggs of Merry Bay" are a replica of the 34 nesting birds that live in the area. It also has the Langabou which is one of the oldest commercial buildings still in existence in Iceland with the south wall dating back to 1790. 

For the cruise, it was a stepping off port for other paid excursions in the area. We chose to participate in the VO  "Included Excursion" which was an hour or so walk around the town culminating with a recorded musical performance emanating from a boom box inside of a re-purposed oil tank. The accousitics were actually very good!

Tendering to shore.

DSC08146.thumb.JPG.05f6185deb0f7df9f9f5e710e692f5fa.JPG

The tender landing.

DSC08125.thumb.JPG.d0c4191e821c2fd94ac092e015264e4c.JPG

Downtown Djupivogur.

DSC08126.thumb.JPG.e02377e0e04f31c28bde970475554b7c.JPG

The Re-purposed Oil Tank on the outskirts of town.

DSC08135.thumb.JPG.ecf5ccf2f517f5d1ca69640112b03948.JPG

DSC08132.thumb.JPG.11112a507cb77bf8df639228bfa30af2.JPG

The OIl Tank ceiling.

DSC08133.thumb.JPG.adc9902a658e79738694be5f52131cf9.JPG

Merry Bay 

DSC08136.thumb.JPG.57428036fe0d2c6997d59745000236fc.JPG

The Eggs of Merry Bay, or "Eggin i Gleovik"

DSC08137.thumb.JPG.f95b1cb73fa00785f0ba14ef638237d0.JPG

Closeup of one of the eggs.

DSC08138.thumb.JPG.35456448c3c6e79d27fb73bd4513a0ac.JPG

The South wall of  "Langabuo"

DSC08141.thumb.JPG.7f31185ae8174dd2a51bbb2632cdeeac.JPG

Tendering back.

DSC08143.thumb.JPG.cd4e94ddac93934da3a23a6ffd20e472.JPG

Stay Safe!

- Jack

Thank you, Jack, for the beautiful pictures.  I am more excited for this port now.  Can't wait to see those eggs!

39 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

Feeling a little better yet this morning, this thing is finally letting go.  I can't comment on the food and drink yet, nothing much sounds good to me yet.  I think this is the first time in my adult life I haven't had chocolate or wine for a couple weeks! Horrors!!!   😅  I love the quote and agree with others and @ger_77.  

I hope everyone has a good day and anyone under the weather feels better soon.  Prayers for all on the care list and cheers to all on the celebrations list.

So happy you are feeling better and better.  Maybe some chocolate would speed up the recovery?

28 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good rainy afternoon, the snow showers never arrived.

In today’s paper, a joint memorial service will be held next Saturday for our fallen heroes Zachary Paris and Marvin Gruber.

According to the obituary, Zachary was born here in Reading and was a graduate of Fleetwood HS in 2005.💔💔

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

May they rest in peace.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 7