The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday February 8th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

Today is Boy Scout Day, Kite Flying Day, and Opera Day

Love is that condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own.--Robert A. Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land

Meal Suggestion for today - Honey Mustard Chicken
Drink of the Day - Hemingway Daiquiri
Wine of the Day - Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough, New Zealand
Destination of the Day - Luanda, Angola

Eurodam

Oranjestad Aruba, Netherlands Antilles 14:00 - 23:59

Koningsdam

Honolulu, Oahu Island, Hawaii 18:00 Depart

Nieuw Amsterdam

Falmouth Jamaica 08:00 - 17:00

Nieuw Statendam

St Thomas Island USVI, Charlotte Amalie, US Virgin Islands 08:00 - 17:00

Oosterdam

At Sea Destination Port Stanley, East Falkland Island eta 2-09

Rotterdam

Castries, St Lucia Island 08:00 - 16:00

Volendam

Puerto Madryn, Argentina 08:00 - 17:00

Zaandam

Panama Canal 05:00 - 05:00

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Burnie, Tasmania Australia 09:00 - 17:00

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Pulau Langkawi Island, Malaysia Kedah eta 2-10

Zuiderdam

Sydney, NSW Australia 08:00 Arrive

image.thumb.png.24f98b20333fdf8b957e23f34947642b.png

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIMpWJeQVhfriHo5u3i_7-LV7ntXQOewWgszVPDOQPWWw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1675678341

Sandi for Roy and Rich

• Like 22
  • Thanks 11

Today’s care list:

RIP Hal Sailer’s DSIL 2/3/23

RIP Cat Shepard’s nephew 2/4/23

RIP Bennybear’s aunt 2/5/23

Marshhawk’s DH post-surgery woes

Waiting for Dr. report on Joy’s X-rays

Roy trying to regain strength

Jacqui still with splint on problem elbow

Marshhawk’s friend in a coma after falling

Tana’s bad night

9000+ deaths after Turkish & Syrian earthquakes

From the rotation:

Ominous scan for Marshhawk

No word from Scrapnana
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1) and JAM37 (7/7)

Celebrations and Shout outs:

Roy sleeping better

Tupper10’s son doing well after surgery

Aliaschief in Cancun until 2/14
3 days for StLouisCruisers (Sky Princess 2/11 to 2/18)

Cruzin Terri (Oceania Sirena to 2/19), Norseh2o (Oceania Marina to 4/6), Dobiemom (Norwegian Encore to 2/12), 0106 (Rotterdam to 2/15), Lindaler and Ottahand7 (Volendam to 3/18), and Cat in My Lap, Gail&Marty, Richwmn and HorizonChaser1957 (Zuiderdam to 5/12) at sea

• Like 18
  • Thanks 12

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  We were once again woken up by the smell of skunk.  I’m going to open up some windows to help get rid of the remaining odor.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds good and I look forward to pictures and recipes from @dfish.  A long time ago I was a Boy Scout.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

image.png.23ca004b6b31cb8acbcf43382d9f8718.png

• Like 22

Good morning friends!  Today will be 49F and cloudy with a high of 72.  When it gets this warm in February you can bet rain is in the forecast, so that will start tomorrow I bet.  Today is Boy Scout day, Kite Flying day, and Opera day.  Take your pick!  Lovely quote to ponder.  I think the honey mustard chicken would be great.  No thanks to the drink today, but I will take the Sauvignon Blanc and it's another New Zealand one!  Port of the day is Luanda, Angola which has been our destination on two prior dates.  May 23, 2021 and August 9, 2022.  I haven't been there before, therefore I have no photos to share.  Below is the link to Rich's post from August 9, 2022 to retrieve your photos if previously posted.   My computer is having issues again this morning and I've decided it's not wifi, it's the darn computer.  We should clear some cookies, etc. today and see if that helps tomorrow.  I'm lucky I got as far as I did so far today!

Prayers for all on the Care list.  We had a lot of reports yesterday of troubles so I hope I remembered most of them. 🙏 Special prayers for Jacqui @kazu as she deals with her injury, pain, and home matters.  In addition the people of Turkey and Syria affected by the earthquakes, and all who have passed away there.  The numbers are staggering.  Also Roy, Tana, Joy, Sarah, Kathi and Annie's DH Chuck.  Hoping today is a better day for all of you.  Three cheers for all of you cruising or going to cruise soon, and any other happy events in your lives.🥂

Hoping for a great day for everyone!  Stay safe and no falls!

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 6

Good morning from Puerto Madryn Argentina. A world of difference in temperature from Ushuaia and Antarctica. Highs in the high 80s. We have a close by shore excursion to a sea lion colony and a sheep farm.   It is a beautiful day.  

We are still in our cabin on Dolphin deck.  Another reason the cabin was probably unoccupied is because our cabin wall is on the other side of the mid ship gangway. Our morning started at 5 am with banging and dragging chains. I ran into two 6th floor neighbors and on one side our neighbor returned home yesterday. Our other neighbors are still out like we are. I made another trip up to our cabin to get that, sunscreen and cameras and the smell is dreadful. I have asthma we will see how that works out.

Prayers for all on our Care list and the people of Ukraine. Prayers for Roy, Jacqui, Kathi and Tana.  Have a wonderful day! Thanks for starting us off every day Sandi!

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

Good morning! It’s currently 78 degrees and quite breezy but no rain in forecast. We enjoyed a lovely dinner at a Japanese restaurant. It really had some exotic and very good sushi. This was Sue’s delayed birthday dinner and it was a special evening in a beautiful setting, 

We had some cruise ships pass yesterday way off on the horizon. The daily routine of enjoying the beach and sea will continue. Our spot is fairly shaded and we are slathered with 70 SPF sunscreen. Getting a tan is not as important now as when we were young.

I made it through ten minutes of the State Of The Union address last night before succumbing to the need for sleep.

I do hope everyone on Care list is improving and we can go a few days without anyone being added to list.

Thanks Sandi for helping out and Rich it sounds like your having a grand time on the World Cruise, Enjoy beautiful Sydney!

image.jpeg.37a7649ace8aea89b61a868c57242620.jpegimage.jpeg.2b586da38d1ebfc0f5f3a0ec07811cf9.jpegimage.jpeg.f0f819d7b5248cdffb7c0eaa1fa222f9.jpegimage.jpeg.c8bfac7541ca03c772d18dca146917ed.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Haha 17

Good morning and thanks for the Daily and Fleet Report.

It should get to 4°C this afternoon with a chance of flurries.  Not a bad day for February. 

A good collection of days.

Love the quote.

The meal sounds good.  I think we'll have chicken for dinner tonight, looking forward to seeing the recipe.

I'm sure I'll like the drink and the wine.

Prayers for everyone.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a wonderful day.

Stay safe.

• Like 19

Good Morning, Everyone!  I haven’t been on The Daily for about a week.  The retirement community where I live has four very large Flea Market Sales each year to support various on campus charities.  During Sales weeks I am up early and work through mid-day setting up, restocking, selling and straightening up getting ready for the next day.  I am exhausted and it takes several days afterwards to get “back to normal”.  

I am so sorry to read of all of the challenges that the members of The Daily Family are facing.  Please know that my thoughts and prayers are will all of you.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Sandi! A lovely  morning here in NorthEast/Central Florida.

An early dermatologist appointment for me this morning. Then Bindi walks and my HIIT class. 

C61B43D9-56CC-4626-9E1E-7AFED854E1BE.jpeg.d12f44634ed7d3c47ca2a3127084af17.jpeg

6A0E9A13-31A6-45FA-A231-367EE35A8CAE.jpeg.0cb4f5cad1d7d70cf98a5e68b4163561.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support, especially: Jacqui, Kathi, Roy, Sarah and Tana.  Cheers to all who are celebrating. Get well & stay well everyone!

Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough, New Zealand

This New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc is fairly easy to find and reasonably priced. I used the 2021 vintage info, since that may be the easiest to find. Available from numerous online distributors with prices starting at $23.97.

Reviews

91 Tasted by: Tina Gellie
(at London, 31 Oct 2021)
Part of Festive treats: celebratory standout bottles
Drinking Window: 2021 - 2025
Despite vintage variation, there's no denying the consistency (in quality and relative price) of this iconic wine after almost 37 years. Compared to the structured and high-acid 2020, this is a vintage to enjoy now, with a weighty, fleshy palate of gooseberry, freshly cut grass and sweet grapefruit.
92 Tasted by: Natalie Earl
(at Meunier Penthouse, London, 27 Apr 2022)
Part of Festive treats: celebratory standout bottles
Drinking Window: 2022 - 2027
Both intense and classy on the nose - there is definitely the overt green apple, grass, bell pepper aroma, but it is a little held back, a little musty, a little deeper. Fresh tropical fruit - mango juice and fresh ripe pineapple. There's a light reductive flinty stony touch. The intensity rushes in, filling the mouth with limes. There's some grip on the teeth, almost tannic, and searing acidity. A wine that knows what it's doing.
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 6

Good morning everyone.  Prayers for all in need.  Special prayers for the people of Turkey effected by the earthquakes there.  Dreadful time for them.

Making it out today for lunch with girlfriends I have not seen since before the holidays.  This will be the first group of people I will meet up with who do not know that I have gone low carb since 1/1.  Want to see if they mention any change.  (15 pounds down — my sister says she can see it in my face.)

Hope to hear good reports today from Roy and others who are dealing with ailments.  We all know “aging” brings its challenges but it sure beats the alternative!

Weather is becoming more moderate and allowing for walks each day.  Here’s hoping it continues.

Gave a great day.  Katherine 

• Like 28

Good morning  everyone. It is a nice 38 degrees and going up to 50 later.Last night I was able to sleep from 11 to 5 which was a miracle.It us wonderful  how sleep can restore a person.DD stayed with her sister so that could happen.They were watching the sunrise when I slipped past with the dogs.

I will gladly salute the days,have not been to the port and like the recipe just by  the name!

A few days ago in Brooklyn,

,an off duty police officer was shot during a robbery. My cousin texted family that he was a good friend of her son.They were in the same precinct as police officers. He died this morning  in the hospital leaving behind a wife and 2 small children.  

@marshhawk,  Annie,  I hope the night went well and that you both got some sleep. 

@rafinmd, Roy,  I am hoping that you start to feel better soon and see some improvement.

Take care if yourselves everyone.

Terry

• Like 11
  • Thanks 14

1 minute ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning  everyone. It is a nice 38 degrees and going up to 50 later.Last night I was able to sleep from 11 to 5 which was a miracle.It us wonderful  how sleep can restore a person.DD stayed with her sister so that could happen.They were watching the sunrise when I slipped past with the dogs.

I will gladly salute the days,have not been to the port and like the recipe just by  the name!

A few days ago in Brooklyn,

,an off duty police officer was shot during a robbery. My cousin texted family that he was a good friend of her son.They were in the same precinct as police officers. He died this morning  in the hospital leaving behind a wife and 2 small children.  

@marshhawk,  Annie,  I hope the night went well and that you both got some sleep. 

@rafinmd, Roy,  I am hoping that you start to feel better soon and see some improvement.

Take care if yourselves everyone.

Terry

That is awful news about the police officer being shot and killed.

Condolences to his wife and 2 young children left behind without a father and husband.

Graham.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Good morning Daily-ites. 

Light sprinkles and 46, warming to 59 today.

I tried driving to the market yesterday early afternoon and there were miles of traffic backed up. I don't know what happened ahead of us but police were turning everyone around. It was a mess for about 45 minutes. We decided to just go to our local restaurant in Sun City for early dinner.

I don't know what was said at the State of the Union address. We were both fast asleep in our chairs. My aching ribs keep me awake in the bed and I feel better staying in my chair. If I don't get a call or a notice on my chart this morning I'm calling to find out what's going on. 

I'm going to wrestle the luggage into the car and take them to UPS this morning a day early. We will be out tomorrow during the pick up time frame and don't want our bags sitting on the front porch unsupervised. 

I'm sending prayers for Ukraine, Turkey, and all our Daily family,  especially our Roy, Jacqui, Tana, Sarah, and Kathi. 

Have a blessed day!

image.png.e6c9f0d9e85f534c6c026262e8979cfb.png

image.png.71a730f3fff27f91d6461a1989491c87.png

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

Happy Hump Day!!  I've been having a minor (compared to some in our wonderful group) medical problem and the final test results were negative.  Something I'll live with.  Won't  prevent me from enjoying our wonderful BHB.  Only 355 days till our next cruise.  LOL  Prayers and hugs to our care list and woohoo to the celebrations.

Hemingway Daiquiri cocktail:

Ingredients
2 parts Cruzan® Aged Light Rum
1/2 part Maraschino Liqueur
1/2 part Grapefruit Juice
3/4 part Fresh Lime Juice
Garnish: Lime Wheel

Instructions
Combine ingredients in cocktail shaker over ice and shake. Double strain into a coupe glass. Garnish with a lime wheel.

Screenshot 2023-02-08 at 8.03.10 AM.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 9

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Our son was in Boy Scouts and really enjoyed the experience; kite flying is a little tough when you're dealing with snow drifts, and neither of us is a great fan of opera.

It's 7AM and we've reached our daily high of -3C (26F); for the beginning of February, it's a great temperature, although it's scary to think this could be our new norm.  It looks quite cloudy, so we could be in for more snow this morning.  It's a good thing DH and I spent time on the driveway yesterday afternoon trying to scrape the ice chunks and lumps off, as it will make shoveling easier.

Not a lot on the agenda today - there's always laundry, woo hoo.  Today might be a good day to go through some of the baking pans and trays to see what I can get rid of or possibly replace.  When doing the Christmas baking, I saw some of the were in pretty rough shape. 

@Seasick SailorI'm sorry to hear you're still in a lot of pain; please call and find out what your results were.  I shudder thinking of your trying to wrangle your luggage all by yourself - is there anyone you can call on to help you get it to the UPS store?

@smitty34877I'm glad you finally had some sleep - maybe you'll have to call on your DD to relieve you a little more often.  Don't forget, you're still recovering from surgery!

@marshhawkI hope your DH had a restful night; sending good vibes for the best outcome of your scan.

@kazuyou're always in my heart; I just wish we lived closer so I could help you.

I like the sound of today's menu suggestion, and will have to look up the recipe.  We love mustard on salmon, so it should be nice on chicken as well.  For us, who had chicken yesterday, we'll have a change of pace tonight with quesadillas, salsa, sour cream (yuck) and crudites at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for all who are in need, especially for the people of Ukraine, Turkey and Syria.  Great cheers for all with celebrations going on.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, everyone!

I had another good night's sleep last night.  I did wake up a lot, but was able to get back to sleep.  Too often, I can't.  I haven't heard anything from DB so he must be doing ok.  I'll stop by and check on him today.

This honey mustard chicken dish is a succulent and flavorful chicken recipe that’s made with honey, dijon mustard, and whole grain mustard, a combination of spices, and baked to perfection. The homemade honey mustard marinade is so easy to make that’s then smothered over the chicken breast and baked to perfection.  https://healthyfitnessmeals.com/honey-mustard-chicken/

262670667_honeymustardchicken1.thumb.jpg.c643a6623021d342e5bf33e40d6eb48e.jpg

This honey mustard chicken is just what you need to jazz up weeknight dinners. The baked chicken thighs are sweet and savory with an herby kick, have crispy golden skin, and are extra juicy.  https://downshiftology.com/recipes/herbed-honey-mustard-chicken/

455240127_honeymustardchicken2.thumb.jpg.6f0e917a20925ba8e6c9a6a78ff58e70.jpg

Baked honey mustard chicken is packed full of flavor, and uses a handful of ingredients that you likely already have in the house. 

https://www.dinneratthezoo.com/honey-mustard-chicken/

1223258095_honeymustardchicken3.thumb.jpg.c6a6621b66f6186972f0e412bf0adfa2.jpg

This delicious grilled honey mustard chicken recipe has quickly become a favorite summer dinner recipe. It is extremely easy to prepare and make and still produces a wonderfully tasty and flavorful piece of grilled chicken.  https://www.sixsistersstuff.com/recipe/grilled-honey-mustard-chicken/

2117566082_honeymustardchicken4.thumb.jpg.f375f56f84be88d5a772b7d883b122f4.jpg

There are several recipes to choose from and even one for the grill.  I think that is the one I want.  Or maybe #1.  Hmmmm

Healing thoughts going out to all our Dailyites who are injured or ill.  The days are getting longer and we all want to be able to enjoy the better weather that is coming.  Prayers for the victims of the earthquake in Turkey.   Wishing all of  you a wonderful day.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 7

Thanks for the Fleet update and general info.

I can’t believe I have been on this thread a year because I remember responding to the  things we celebrate today unless it is a repeat.

National Fly a Kite Day. The Misses always tells me to go fly a kite 😀

• Like 6
  • Haha 10

Yesterdaywas a mixed day.  The morning I was quite drowsy but got quite a bit done, slowly in the afternoon.  Picked up mail (both street and UPS store) visited pharmacy/grocery, and stopped at fire house and got the 2022 1099's ready for the office manager to mail to IRS..  It was tiring but I think I actually felt somewhat better for getting things done.  I also cancelled a couple of cruises, I still have a couple of cruises on the books, NE/Canada in September and  Panama Canal in November and am unsure but hoping to use my newly arrived passport with them,

I think I slept reasonably well last night,

Never been to Angola, have been involved with Scouts (now coed) for decades

Roy
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 7

Good morning from the Sirena as we head towards Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic.

Last night we had to put the clocks ahead one hour.  Did get a good night’s sleep for a change.

Can you imagine that I somehow left my sunglasses in the car and don’t have any!  The most inexpensive pair on the ship is $272.  No way.  I will wait until San Juan in two days and see what i can buy there.

Thank you to @StLouisCruisersSandi for your wonderful dedication to keeping us up to date with the Fleet Report and Daily.

Condolences to those who have lost loved ones.

Prayers to those who are ill and in pain.  

And cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

We are hoping for some sunshine today.  Haven’t seen it yet.

Take care everyone and God Bless,

Terri

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Yesterdaywas a mixed day.  The morning I was quite drowsy but got quite a bit done, slowly in the afternoon.  Picked up mail (both street and UPS store) visited pharmacy/grocery, and stopped at fire house and got the 2022 1099's ready for the office manager to mail to IRS..  It was tiring but I think I actually felt somewhat better for getting things done.  I also cancelled a couple of cruises, I still have a couple of cruises on the books, NE/Canada in September and  Panama Canal in November and am unsure but hoping to use my newly arrived passport with them,

I think I slept reasonably well last night,

Never been to Angola, have been involved with Scouts (now coed) for decades

Roy

Sounds like your making progress.👍

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Can you imagine that I somehow left my sunglasses in the car and don’t have any!  The most inexpensive pair on the ship is $272.  No way.  I will wait until San Juan in two days and see what i can buy there.

Oh my goodness, that's highway (or high seas) robbery!  If I were you, I'd head to guest services to see if they had any in their lost and found.  I'd simply tell them you weren't prepared to pay nearly $300 for a pair of sunglasses and see what they say.  They likely have a box full of them somewhere!

@rafinmd I'm happy to know you're making progress; good for you, but take it slowly so you don't overdo it.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1