The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday March 3rd, 2023

Today is Caregiver Appreciation Day, I Want You to be Happy Day, and If Pets Had Thumbs Day

True life is lived when tiny changes occur. - Leo Tolstoy

Meal Suggestion for today - Yellowtail with Glass Noodles and Pear
Drink of the Day - Orchard Twist
Wine of the Day - Grgich Hills Chardonnay, Napa Valley, California
Destination of the Day - Charlottetown, PEI Canada

Eurodam

Dry Dock Bahamas Bahamas until 3/3

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Fanning Island, Line Islands, Kiribati eta 3-04

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Half Moon Cay, Bahamas eta 3-04

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida eta 3-04

Oosterdam

Ushuaia, Argentina 12:00 - 20:00

Rotterdam

Fort-de-France, Martinique 07:00 - 16:00

Volendam

Boca da Valeria, Brazil Amazon 08:00 - 14:00

Zaandam

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas 08:00 - 15:00

Zuiderdam

Saint-Denis, Reunion Island 08:00 - 18:00

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Fiordland National Park, New Zealand

Westerdam

Manila, Luzon Island, Philippines 08:00 - 17:00

image.thumb.png.cc5cd58a563dce06304af2ff48a60c34.png

Notice on this map the Volendam in the center of Brazil, an interesting place for a cruise ship to be - on the Amazon Riverimage.thumb.png.0ee7d227be7bb3ae40c0f4a8d1ce1009.png

Sandi for Rich and Roy

• Like 20
  • Thanks 14

Good morning friends!  Today it is 60F, cloudy with rain or thunderstorms expected at some point during the day and a high of 75.  First, thanks to Rich @richwmnfor collecting all the data needed for this report before his World Cruise.  We appreciate you so much!  

We have some very nice days to celebrate this Friday.  First Caregiver Appreciation Day.  If you are a regular reader of the Daily you know there are many caregivers here on this thread.  A sharp salute to all of you and we pray for strength for you to continue doing that important job each day.  Secondly, I Want You To Be Happy Day.  What a thoughtful thing to celebrate.  Third, If Pets Had Thumbs Day.  That is an interesting one.  Imagine how much trouble our pets would get into if they did. 😂  An interesting quote this morning, and a fish dish for Debbie @dfish to feature.  I eat small amounts of fish so will pay attention to see if it would work for me.  I will pass on the drink and Chardonnay.

Prayers for all in need today which includes the Daily Care list and those around the world suffering from natural and unnatural disaster.  Special prayers for the police officers in the news this week who have been shot, either killed or injured.  Prayers also for their families.  🙏   Cheers to all on the Celebration list right now.  We are all so happy for you and wish you well.🥂  For those cruising, fair winds and following seas.🚢

Today's port if the lovely port of Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada.  It was posted here once before on September 26, 2021 so below you will find the link to retrieve photos.  I wish I'd been in Charlottetown, PEI as we were scheduled to in 2018.  The weather on our New England cruise was not good near Charlottetown and our Captain had to skip it.  That was a major disappointment.  I have it on my bucket list and intend to get there someday.

Note to Terri's @Cruzin Terri's tile contractor, you'd better show up today or we're all coming after you!😉

Here's hoping everyone will have a safe and enjoyable day!  

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning, thanks for the daily fleet report.  We are expecting a winter storm overnight, I’ll just wait and see what we wake up to since the last forecast was off the mark.  I’ll pass on today’s meal suggestion but have no idea what’s for dinner. We’ve been to today’s port many times and I enjoy each visit, it’s such a nice place to visit.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

I’d be in serious trouble if the cats had thumbs.  

image.png.8098f83c6bd29569dadaa99c53d3893b.png

• Like 18
  • Haha 9

Thanks for the Fleet update and general info.

Port of the Day is Charlottetown PEI. We were there years ago I believe on the cruise we met AlaiasChief back in 2009. It was the only port that we have been to in the world that Security would not allow the Misses back on the ship. She forgot her photo ID. She is still waiting today to board a ship. Not really. Had to go aboard, get her photo ID and return ashore so she could board ship.

• Like 18

Good morning.

Thank you Sandi for bringing us today's daily fleet reports and Daily.

We cared for Pauline's late mam for her last 4 years of life with Alzheimer's and vascular dementia and know how tough but rewarding it was.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone who is unwell.

I hope everyone has a great day.

Graham.

Screenshot_20230303_111144.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 4

Happy Friday!  Thank you Rich, Sandi, Vanessa, Ann, Debbie, Dixie, and numerous contributors. 

It's Wegmans Day for me but cold with rain coming so I hope to be back before the rain starts.  Slept pretty well last night but the 3AM curse remains.  I am hoping for relief when Daylight Savings Time kicks in,

I'm clueless about the third of today's dates but will salute the first two.  Charlottetown is a lovely city. I'll pass on the meal.

Roy

• Like 27

Good morning.  Thanks for the Friday Daily and Fleet Report.

We're under a weather advisory.  Another Texas Low heading our way.  That means that another snow storm is on the way and may hit us this evening.  Lots of snow and wind.  Good thing we can stay home.

Great days.  A big thank you to Caregivers.  Love  the idea of "I want you to be happy" Day.  I'm not sure what Bertie would do if he had thumbs.

I like the quote.

The meal sounds like something I'd see on the menu in an expensive restaurant.  Looking forward to seeing pictures and recipes.   Not sure about the drink.  I think I'd like the wine.

We've been to today's port, many years ago, but on a road trip, not a cruise.  I'd like to go back.

Prayers for those that need them.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a wonderful day.

Stay safe.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 3

Good Friday morning.  Heading to Winter Haven this morning to have an ultrasound on my precious kitty.  X-rays showed a mass in her colon.  She is 17.5 years old and I'm very worried.

Orchard Twist cocktail:

Ingredients
1 part Jim Beam® Apple
1 part Cranberry Juice
Splash Club Soda
Garnish with Lime Wedges

Instructions
Build over ice, garnish with a lime wedge.

Screenshot 2023-03-03 at 6.47.52 AM.png

• Like 12
  • Thanks 17

Thanks for our TGIF Daily, Sandi.

Great collection of days!  Huge salute to all caregivers - it’s a hard job done for love  that calls on every reserve of strength you have at times.  All caregivers are heroes.

Love wanting others to be happy and OMG - can you imagine if our pets had thumbs?  If you thought they were trouble before….

C0E95B25-7336-4F71-9417-B2E16F306717.jpeg.6fb8dd117d8f554f27fafa1767d4b66f.jpeg

I like the Tolstoy quote - there’s some truth to it.  And a white wine today?  Yippee 😃 Charlottetown is a great spot to visit.  For those with it on their itineraries, you will be happy to hear that PEI is working very hard to make reparations from all the damage of Fiona so there should be noticeable improvements this year 🤞 

A6408D69-331E-4123-928F-BF8FDDB1DFB9.png.9d3e0d56be1b780b3900fb5a099fecc6.png

Looks like the storm is over and Mother Nature dropped over a foot of snow.  (I’m not going out with a ruler to measure 😘).  Pretty sure my guy coming to shovel will let me know LOL 😆 Sounds like once we get it cleaned up we get a couple of days reprieve until the next potential ‘Nor Easter. ‘Sigh’. Spring can come any time!

5B12F356-4D73-44C1-BA8F-616C45AE1888.jpeg.1a3caee6a8289fc367d96cb352647ee1.jpeg

Prayers for those on the Care list and those that need them everywhere & a big toast 🥂 to those on the Celebratory list.

29BD4651-086C-44AD-9A04-845E11D48472.jpeg.2c6975418f4a0fd47777e523ed9b7083.jpeg

Have a great Friday everyone !!!!!!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 5

Today’s care list:

Roy recovering from pneumonia

Smitty34877’s DH undergoing medical evaluations

StLouisCruiser’s DB with pulmonary fibrosis

Family of a member of the Nieuw Statendam entertainment team who passed in a diving accident in Curacao

Death of Seasick Sailor’s neighbor

Citizens of Ukraine/New Zealand/Earthquake victims/Greek train crash victims

From the rotation:

NextOne’s upcoming cardiology appointment 

Lazey1 with multiple medical issues

Tana’s pulmonary issues

Mamaofami with medical issues

Scrapnana undergoing chemotherapy

Celebrations and Shout outs:

Luvteaching’s DH’s continued improvement and hospital release this week

Quartzsite Cruiser’s DH’s good report from the surgeon

Cruzin Terri’s contractor and tilers at her house today

Cruising-along’s positive visit with the nephrologist

Welcome home Cruising sister!

Welcome home Lady Hudson!

1 days for Suslor (Zaandam 3/4 to 3/18)

2 days for TAW1963 (Ruby Princess 3/5 to 3/12)

Mr. Boston (Celebrity Millennium to 3/4), RMLincoln family cruise (Rotterdam to 3/8), SusieKIslandGirl (Noordam to 3/11), Cruisercl (NCL Bliss to 3/12), ottahand7 and Lindaler (Volendam to 3/18), Seasick Sailor and 57redbird (Koningsdam to 3/25), Norseh2o (Oceania Marina to 4/6), and Cat in My Lap, Gail&Marty, Richwmn and HorizonChaser1957 (Zuiderdam to 5/12) at sea

• Like 18
  • Thanks 13

Good morning from Boca da Valaria.  We will be going ashore soon to deliver about 6 pounds Crayola 12 packs for the kids.  I bought them for $.25 and $.50 on clearance at Walmart in October. I hope they have access to paper.  It is partly cloudy but a big storm brewing to the north. Thank you for the Daily and Fleet Reports Sandi and thanks to Dixie, Debbie, Vanessa and for the wine reports too.  Prayers for all on our Care list and the people of Ukraine.  

Food continues to be great. Last night was a tasty seafood spring roll and smoked carne asada which we pounced on before photos. Tonight crispy Asian duck for main course and chicken Tikka as a starter. I have had to go back to fasting so I eat my first meal in the Lido at lunch and dinner.  Cutting way back on 50% off Happy Hour too. 

We finally spotted some pink dolphins.  Have a wonderful Friday!  Nancy 

Boat with a lady holding a sloth, Boca da Valaria, sunrise today, sunset and spring roll from dinner. 

IMG_20230303_085527210_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230303_084422874_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230303_064838405.jpg

IMG_20230302_185521776_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230302_171026044.jpg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 5

Thank you for getting us started, Sandi! Vanessa, I really appreciate how well you keep track of us. 

Rich, thank you for making sure this continues to happen - even while you see the World!

Another amazing morning in my neighborhood, though it is already quite breezy. My beaches are already flying the red flag. @cunnorl Charlene is it expected to be really windy down where you are, too?

Just a gym class, Bindi walks, a few chores and then an evening of nibbles and wine with friends. 

22019AD8-2C77-4D1B-AB8B-F65AC811BB3D.jpeg.27ba0f798f7797dd563cc811bb1ec349.jpeg

16528928-723E-4E8C-8F38-551B8C0197BF.jpeg.167dbf45ad4caa441b302db005a846e9.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating. Get well & stay well everyone. 

Grgich Hills 2019 Chardonnay, Napa Valley, California

If you were ever looking for a wine with a “gun smoke” nose - this is it. I used to think these folk were crazy, until I sniffed an amazing white wine that smelled like stereo. Readily available, rave critic and consumer reviews. Lots of mention of oak… I used the 2019 vintage info, though every vintage has excellent reviews. Online prices start at $35.00.

Winemaker Notes

This Chardonnay entices you with aromas of fresh peach, Asian pear, citrus, and honeycomb to delight your senses. The flavors are just as complex with delightful undertones of red pepper and Madagascar vanilla, followed by fresh lemon, green apple, wildflower honey, stone fruit, and a hint of lavender. The rich, dense texture is balanced by its juicy acidity, leading to great minerality and a long, satisfying finish.
W&S94 Wine & Spirits
When Mike Grgich made the 1973 Chateau Montelena Chardonnay — the white wine that won the Paris Tasting — he used fruit from the Bacigalupi Vineyard in the Russian River Valley. He soon moved into a partnership with Austin Hills, assembling an organically farmed estate that includes 88 acres in Carneros and 163 in American Canyon, the cool, southern districts of the Napa Valley where this chardonnay grows. Now, at 98, Grgich leaves winegrowing to his nephew, Ivo Jeramaz, who produced this complex and compelling wine. Put aside any preconceptions you might have about contemporary Napa Valley chardonnay; consider instead an agriculture that might include native corn (one taster cited the ethereal sweetness of nixtamalized corn) and stone-fruit orchards (a scent of apricots). There’s the smokiness of ancho chile and a scent of woodland mushrooms in the wine’s dark-toned leesiness. Then the layers of flavor last, harmonious and delicious.
JS91 James Suckling
Mangoes, papayas, cooked lemons, ripe melons, gun smoke and salted caramel on the nose. Full-bodied, ripe and rich yet bright. Smoky, toasty notes to close. From organically grown grapes.
D91 Decanter
Orange blossom nose, ripe peach, pear and apricot. Tropical fruit on a broad, expansive palate. Rich, layered and a long, toasty finish.
Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

Good Friday morning.  Heading to Winter Haven this morning to have an ultrasound on my precious kitty.  X-rays showed a mass in her colon.  She is 17.5 years old and I'm very worried.

Dixie, praying that your kitty’s issue is an easy one to fix.  And she lives at least a few more years.

• Like 19

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  A huge shout out to all caregivers; it isn't an easy task, but one that many of us take on at some point.  I do want all my Daily friends to be happy; I love the sentiment.  If pets had thumbs, I'm sure Sochi would be opening the cupboards and getting her own food.

A quiet morning out there this morning, with a nice mild temperature of only -9C.  We seem to be going through a warming spell which will last for a few days before we are plunged into the ugly cold again.  Thankfully we don't have any storms on the horizon like our friends in Ontario and Quebec will be facing soon.  I think today will be a good day to get out and chop some more ice that has formed along the edge of the driveway.

@luvteachingyou must be so happy that your DH will be coming home today!

@summer slopesending good vibes for your precious kitty, and you, too!

Tuesday 03-03-2020 - If Pets Had Thumbs Day - The Daily Kitten

I'm looking forward to seeing the recipes for today's menu suggestion, as it sounds like something we'd really enjoy.  However, it's Friday night pizza night at our house, so we'll check the online menus to see what appeals to us and will enjoy pizza at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for all who are in need, cheers to everyone with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 25
  • Haha 3

Well this morning is off to a great start. Just had the police knocking on the door saying they had a 911 call from this number. No , we haven’t used the phone yet. Ok just had to check it out.

If my cats had thumbs, they could open their own cans of food and jars of treats all the time 😃🐾

Eurodam is on the PEV schedule to arrive at 10 pm tonight. 
Blessings and prayers to all on our lists 

• Like 24

A high proportion of cats on the south shore of Boston are polydactyl, meaning that they have extra toes. I guess there were polydactyl cats on the Mayflower! (The Junior Cat is from the south shore, but isn't polydactyl.) One of my teachers there had a nine-toed cat that could turn doorknobs.

Yellowtail is also a brand of wine and I am going to contemplate that as a main ingredient of the recipe. I plan to have fish tonight, but most likely salmon. No on the cocktail but yes on the wine. I haven't been to PEI and the logistics of a cruise that would include it are rather daunting.

I intended to go to the grocery yesterday before the you-know-what started, but didn't make it. The YKW is now predicted not to start until late afternoon, so I guess I have another chance. I slept better and don't feel so poleaxed this morning,but will probably nap after lunch.

Labradoodler.thumb.jpg.c14945cfcf1df58a19cc19eb9d3bb11a.jpg

• Like 13
  • Haha 15

Good morning, everyone!

A big salute to all of our caretakers here on the Daily.  It seems most of us are at that point in life where we have all been or are caretakers.  I was caretaker to both my parents in their final illnesses and considered it an honor.  

We're still not sure how much snow we'll get today.  I guess we'll know when it comes.  We have been downgraded from a warning to an advisory, so I look at that as a good development.  I have my exercise class this morning and a haircut this afternoon.  Then, Farkle Friday!

Today's meal was a tough one.  I only found one recipe that was on numerous sites.  Well, the ingredients were listed on many sites, but not the directions.  It can be found on Epicurious and Bon Appetit, but they both want money from me to see the directions.  I get a big message that says Kitchen Closed when I go to those sites.  

A yellowtail may be any of several different species of fish. Most commonly the yellowtail amberjack Seriola lalandi is meant. In the context of sushi, yellowtail usually refers to the Japanese amberjack, Yellowtail_Amberjack_1_e7b49cab25.jpg.77ee952286563c269241479b53e391bd.jpg

Glass noodles are also called cellophane noodles.   https://www.thespruceeats.com/what-are-glass-noodles-4800942

glassnoodles1.thumb.jpg.0b7fcd4ee069fe399c5667a7b44c8bd7.jpg

Here is the ingredient list for the dish.  I think I could figure out how to make it without the directions.  Maybe someone has a subscription to one of the sites that has those directions.   https://www.punchfork.com/recipe/Yellowtail-with-Glass-Noodles-and-Pear-Bon-Appetit

yellowtail1.thumb.jpg.3446b9badd4a7758c1e07bb5da9edb8a.jpg

Here is a yellowtail noodle salad.  You could substitute the glass noodles for the rice noodles and add some pear to it.   https://wildplanetfoods.com/blogs/recipes/yellowtail-rice-noodle-salad

yellowtail2.jpg.1a74a9e09a28bf05be0d74ba5fff5279.jpg

And here is a glass noodle salad with vegetables and tuna.  Tuna is not the same as yellowtail, but you could use the yellowtail in this salad in place of the tuna.  Or, just go with the tuna. It may be easier to find.  https://eatsmarter.com/recipes/glass-noodle-salad-with-vegetables-and-tuna-fish

yellowtail3.jpg.978ba953e586df3c0f93119524e3167f.jpg

This last recipe isn't even close to the Meal of the Day, but it looked good to me and you could make this with your favorite variety of fish.   https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/fresh-yellowtail-fillet-with-lime-and-ginger-recipe-1923833

yellowtail4.jpeg.310be95e5fe0e7b7ebb0491c589fe3c0.jpeg

I can see draping some of those glass noodles over the dish above, can't you?   

Healing thoughts and hugs to all those who are suffering from a medical malady.  Let's hope @smitty34877 Terry gets some good news about her DH's health woes.  @lazey1 and @mamaofami hope both of you are feeling better soon.  Wishes for @luvteaching's DH to successfully transfer home and wishing comfort for Tana.  It goes without saying that we want @rafinmd Roy and @kazu Jacqui to continue their recovery.   Let's also celebrate @Cruzin Terri's tilers coming out today!   And, Wayfair is coming to put together the TV table.  If I left someone out it is because I'm still on the first cup of coffee.  It wasn't on purpose.

Wishing you all a wonderful day.  

• Like 21
  • Thanks 10

45 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Thank you for getting us started, Sandi! Vanessa, I really appreciate how well you keep track of us. 

Rich, thank you for making sure this continues to happen - even while you see the World!

Another amazing morning in my neighborhood, though it is already quite breezy. My beaches are already flying the red flag. @cunnorl Charlene is it expected to be really windy down where you are, too?

Just a gym class, Bindi walks, a few chores and then an evening of nibbles and wine with friends. 

22019AD8-2C77-4D1B-AB8B-F65AC811BB3D.jpeg.27ba0f798f7797dd563cc811bb1ec349.jpeg

16528928-723E-4E8C-8F38-551B8C0197BF.jpeg.167dbf45ad4caa441b302db005a846e9.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating. Get well & stay well everyone. 

Ann @cat shepard   Not windy here at all, In fact it is a beautiful calm day. Surf is flat.   Expecting rip currents tomorrow and maybe????? rain.   Isnt it funny how the weather can be so different .   

• Like 11

Even without thumbs, cats can accomplish a lot:

When cats can lock doors and raid food, pet-proofing gets extreme

In early December, Sarah Burnham and her spouse, Mateus Oliveira, returned from a walk with their dog to discover they were locked out of the house — an especially baffling occurrence, since they rarely worry about security in their small Maine town. “There were a couple of minutes of just being like, ‘how did this even happen?’” Burnham recalls.

Luckily, having grown up in the home, Burnham knew a trick for getting in without a key. She and Oliveira broke in through a screen door to access the back porch, then climbed through a window. Once inside, they found their culprit: Arsène, a fluffy Maine Coon-mix, appropriately named for the fictional French thief Arsène Lupin. While they’d been gone, the cat had apparently figured out how to reach up and latch the door.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/home/2023/03/02/how-to-cat-proof-home/

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 20

Place noodles in a large bowl and pour boiling water over to cover. Let noodles soak until tender but not mushy, 10–15 minutes; drain. Rinse under cold water; snip into 2" lengths with kitchen shears and return to bowl.

Step 2

Meanwhile, soak arame in ½ cup cold water in a small bowl until softened, 8–10 minutes. Drain; set aside.

Step 3

Whisk vinegar, soy sauce, mirin, lemon juice, chile, and oil in a large bowl. Transfer ⅓ cup lemon-chile shoyu to bowl with noodles and toss to coat. Add pear, sweet onion, yellowtail, mint, chives, reserved arame, and 2 tsp. sesame seeds to remaining shoyu in large bowl and gently toss; season with salt.

These are the instructions for the first recipe from the Bon Apetit site.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 9