The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday March 28th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

1 hour ago, Cruisercl said:

Hi everyone!

I would be remiss if I did not talk about the MN State Fair on 'something on a stick' day.

It is a large state fair known for its food on a stick; some of them are classics some are specialty made for the Fair. All are usually very good; nothing exotic because this is MN after all.

I had a link to an article about it but couldn't get it to attach and work as a link. They listed 58 different foods on a stick....😉  Google it if you are really curious...lol!

Shows my lack of tech knowledge on CC.

@JazzyV thank you for listing me on the Cares list but I am now well recovered so can be removed.

In my heart I believe kindness and good thoughts help heal.

Hope all are having a good day.

Take good care.

Caron

You are right about the MN State fair.  When I lived in MN I visited the fair, and they did have a lot of foods on a stick.  Most famous is the Pronto Pup, which is just a corn dog.  But they also had a pork chop on a stick, walleye on a stick, chocolate covered bacon on a stick, sweet rolls on a stick, and even spaghetti and a meatball on a stick.  The only one I tried was some tempura on a stick.  It was very good.  They also had frozen treats on a stick, but everyone can find those. 

They had one that Redneck Bob would have liked.  It was a stick on a stick, but it had a nice smoky flavor to it when they smoked it on the grill.

• Like 12
  • Haha 4

@TiogaCruiser I first encountered gelato when I went to Germany the first time. It's big there, with shops everywhere. A favorite of BFF and mine was haselnuss (hazelnut gelato). We eat lots of it when there. I tried to make it once at home, but it wasn't the same (I didn't have a gelato maker).

• Like 14

Hello! Hello!

After our ship docked Saturday, we joined our family in San Diego for a few days. Friends picked us up last night and we were in bed by 11. I slept like a log!

I had no time for myself today. I will catch up on weeks of Daily's soon.

Thanks for thinking of us!

Here's a picture of sweet nephew Ethan in his Barbardos shirt we got him on our Dec/Jan cruise

0326231204h_HDR.jpg

Edited by Seasick Sailor
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 6

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Terri, we had the guy who put the cover on our patio tell us he'd be back on Wednesday to lengthen the gutter downspout.  That was in 2001 or 2002, we're still waiting, but decided a long time ago that he's not coming.

Lenda 

Lenda funny you mention gutter downspouts.  The roofer came and searched and searched for a solution.  He did some caulking in one spot but found nothing obvious.  DH mentioned during heavier rainstorms the gutter from the metal porch roof dumps into the main roof gutter and even when cleaned out, seems to overpower the gutter.  So we are going to replace the 5 inch gutter with 6 inch and one other adjustment with the downspout between the two.  I hope that's not too complicated, but the thought is perhaps water gets backed up in the corner and somehow makes its way into the attic and leaks onto my living room ceiling.  Stay tuned.

Twin texted she had a call from DB's wife asking if twin could go to the hospital to pick up DB because her Alzheimer's Board meeting was during the time DB should be released.  What??  Well, seems he didn't want us to know he had chest pains yesterday so he went to the ER and they kept him last night in the hospital.  He doesn't have a blockage but has plaque in his arteries so will need to begin medication for that.  Wow, when it rains it pours.  And not just on my roof.  What next?

I sure wish I knew why Eurodam was in Willemstad, Curacao today instead of Aruba.  Maybe because Nieuw Statendam was also in Aruba today?  Sorry everyone.  We do the best we can with the Fleet Report!  But my friend on Sky Princess emailed today that they can't go to their next port due to weather (La Coruna, Spain).  They are heading to their destination Southampton now.  So on their 14 night cruise they have had only 1 port stop having had two cancelled due to weather.  You just never know!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

Just now, Seasick Sailor said:

Hello! Hello!

After our ship docked Saturday, we joined our family in San Diego for a few days. Friends picked us up last night and we were in bed by 11. I slept like a log!

By the way.. Here's a picture of sweet nephew Ethan!

0326231204h_HDR.jpg

Thank goodness!!  Now we can all sleep tonight!  Take care and check in when you can.  ❤️

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

@TiogaCruiser Thanks for the websites and the heads up about the ice cream.  I will definitely be trying some!  I hope you have a wonderful time tomorrow.  Your decorations are beautiful and the food sounds delicious.

@Cruisercl I had to see what other food was available on a stick.  Spaghetti & meatballs on a stick?  Here’s  the link if anyone else is interested.

MN State Fair Food on a Stick

@Seasick SailorWelcome home!

Edited by 0106
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Hello! Hello!

Here's a picture of sweet nephew Ethan in his Barbardos shirt we got him on our Dec/Jan cruise

0326231204h_HDR.jpg

Nice photo of yourself and Ethan.

I'm pleased you are both well and had a great cruise.

Graham.

• Like 12

8 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Hello! Hello!

0326231204h_HDR.jpg

Joy, so happy to hear from you!  Ethan is adorable!

• Like 15

2 minutes ago, cruzn single said:

Made it to FLL.  Hotel is okay.  Got the Sheraton Four Points on Federal Hwy.  location seems loud, but I will sleep good because I can take my hearing aids out!  Tomorrow will be great when I get on the ship.

Best wishes for a wonderful cruise.

Graham.

• Like 9

@Vict0riann I'm glad you made it to FLL safely!

@Seasick Sailor Thanks for checking in and the cute photo of Ethan!

@StLouisCruisers I hope the gutter solution fixes things. And oh my on DB being in the hospital! At least no blockage and something medication can help. It's difficult knowing where the ships are with all the changes; don't worry, we don't fault you if something is different than what you post.

@cruzn single I'm glad you made it there' at least the hotel is only for one night.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, travelnap said:

Most famous is the Pronto Pup, which is just a corn dog.

Oh My! There's a statement that could start a minor civil war.

Corn Dogs and Pronto Pups are distinctly different and each have their ardent supporters who have nothing but disdain for the opposite camp. Me, being the consummate diplomat, like them both. Or does that merely make me indecisive? I just don't know!

Anyway, you might find an amusing reflection on the controversy in the links below - 

https://quickcountry.com/the-difference-between-minnesotas-pronto-pup-and-a-corn-dog/

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2016/09/02/definitive-guide-to-pronto-pup-corn-dog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNWzFXvv22I

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Well, Good Evening Dailyites.  I wont be be able to see the planet alignment tonight, as it is super cloudy!  I'm attempting to make dinner, but my salmon didn't thaw like last week, and I threw in frozen peas, and am hoping that 45 minutes in the curry at 350 will cook the dinner.

Today was certainly a busy day on the daily!  I read it all, and as usual retained very little, but as Einstein once said, don't try to remember everything, as there would be no place to learn new things, or something like that.

Ron White is a comedian, and me being a woman thinks that 45 % of what he says is funny, but his ability to discuss women is so derogatory, he looses me about 40% into his shows. I'm pretty sure that that quote might be something he would say to a woman.

We procrastinated no longer, and got to the farmers market this morning, got the meat and veggie shopping done, and a low carb dessert -Yea_ and were home in time to watch the Price is right. Then walk the dog, I made BLT's for lunch, and went to work.  No sales.  And very few people answered the phone.  And now I am catching up with all of you.

@Sharon in AZwhen are you arriving in Vancouver, we "ship" out the day after you do, but get in on the 3rd.  On the 4th we are going to the art museum, on the 5th we are doing an excursion with LandSea to Butchart Gardens, on the 6th we are going to Granville Island and taking the ferry to the Mariner Museum.  If you arrive a few days early, maybe we could meet somewhere?  

@sunviking90Welcome to the worlds nicest place to be.

@Seasick SailorGlad you are home safe and sound, and got a little extra family time on the way back.

@JazzyVI hope your eyes are doing better.

I never entered the MN state fair, but would walk along the sidewalk listening to the music and Garrison Keiler. (sp)  Got me hooked on his radio show..  

Well guess I'd best get back to cooking dinner, gotta fix those mashed potatoes out of a bag...Have a great evening.  DH and I are binge watching the USA network show about the NASCAR drivers, it's on Peacock, so we will be back to that later tonight.

• Like 13

8 hours ago, highscar said:

With the K now in dry dock, wondering if they will replace the peeling seats in the lido. The only downside of that lovely ship. 

We were told that that was on the schedule.  I wish they'd get rid of those HEAVY chairs or the carpet....

• Like 8

No luck on the bluebirds, so no happiness or spring just yet!  Miles and miles of frozen tundra, lol! 

@Vict0riann glad you made it safely, with wine on the way.  I too hate anyone near my eyes after getting hot butter in  one making blackened snapper.  So I think they’ll have to knock me out, if I need anything done,  

@Seasick Sailorwelcome home!  

let’s hope the plumbing issues drain away, sigh!  
I was remiss in not posting food on a stick

306ED666-D1B8-45B9-BC77-F5AA16C513EE.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 11

@0106

I did several tours with patagoniashorex.com. This was 10 years ago. They were on east and west coasts… Chile, Argentina, Peru. I set up one myself. Others on the roll call did maybe 4-5. Good guarantees, easy payments, good tours. Our contact and co-owner was Jamie. He went with us on the Puerto Monty tour. Good luck!  m—

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Hello! Hello!

0326231204h_HDR.jpg

Great to see you, Joy!

• Like 7

Good evening.  We have a pretty sunset tonight, which means we won't be seeing the planets in alignment.  The clouds moved in late this afternoon.

5 hours ago, RMLincoln said:

Quick update, will catch up later. Home from eye surgery. Signed a dozen forms, some again. Patch taped over the itchy skin. 
Soup, rest, return tomorrow for first follow up. Might be awhile before we know much. 
Poor guy in the bed next to us in pre-op was telling his nurse he got a glaucoma stent in January, it didn’t work, pressure went up 😱. We’ll just keep on the path. Thanks for all your support!  

Karen, saw your DH is showing signs doing better!  Wonderful!  

m—

Maureen, I'm glad the surgery is behind you both, and you are both home resting.  I hope the stent works so your DH can get off the meds he's allergic to,

4 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

We’re here!  Delightful temperature of around 78, Pat has headed out to Total Wine and I’m putting my feet up for a bit.  So all’s well that ends well, and we hope things go smoothly now.  The cruise gremlins almost did us in!  

Happy to hear Karen’s DH is doing better, Maureen’s DH had his eye surgery- hope it’s a great success.  I’ve had iridectomies for possible glaucoma, but I hate anyone even coming near my eyes, so it was very traumatic.  I suffer just hearing about his surgery!  

All the best to all the Dailyites.  

Ann, glad to know you are safely in Ft. Lauderdale.

3 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Hello! Hello!

0326231204h_HDR.jpg

Joy, welcome home.  Ethan is a real cutie.

27 minutes ago, 57redbird said:

We were told that that was on the schedule.  I wish they'd get rid of those HEAVY chairs or the carpet....

We agree that those heavy chairs need to go.  I'm sure they made them heavy to keep them from moving around, but when passengers can't move them, they're too heavy.

3 hours ago, cruzn single said:

Made it to FLL.  Hotel is okay.  Got the Sheraton Four Points on Federal Hwy.  location seems loud, but I will sleep good because I can take my hearing aids out!  Tomorrow will be great when I get on the ship.

I'm happy the hotel is okay for one night.  

3 hours ago, Overhead Fred said:

Oh My! There's a statement that could start a minor civil war.

Corn Dogs and Pronto Pups are distinctly different and each have their ardent supporters who have nothing but disdain for the opposite camp. Me, being the consummate diplomat, like them both. Or does that merely make me indecisive? I just don't know!

Anyway, you might find an amusing reflection on the controversy in the links below - 

https://quickcountry.com/the-difference-between-minnesotas-pronto-pup-and-a-corn-dog/

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2016/09/02/definitive-guide-to-pronto-pup-corn-dog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNWzFXvv22I

Fred, thanks for the links to the articles. Besides the fried cheese curds, we probably tried the Pronto Pups.  Being from Texas and occasionally going to the Texas State Fair, we always stop at Fletcher's Corny Dogs when we go.  They are very good too.

Lenda

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, marshhawk said:

@Sharon in AZwhen are you arriving in Vancouver, we "ship" out the day after you do, but get in on the 3rd.  On the 4th we are going to the art museum, on the 5th we are doing an excursion with LandSea to Butchart Gardens, on the 6th we are going to Granville Island and taking the ferry to the Mariner Museum.  If you arrive a few days early, maybe we could meet somewhere?  

Actually Annie it’s just for the day, May 6th. I’m on the Volendam starting in Fort Lauderdale sailing through the Panama Canal to Vancouver. It will be a turn around day for me as I’m staying on for the next segment which is a 4 day cruise to Seattle and Victoria and back to Vancouver. I’m hoping that HAL offers some excursions for intransit guests, I’d like to see some sites, otherwise I’ll probably just stay close to the ship since I’m by myself.  Sail away is at 4:00pm so all aboard will be 3:30pm. 

Where are you staying in Vancouver?  

• Like 7

16 hours ago, JazzyV said:

@TiogaCruiser I first encountered gelato when I went to Germany the first time. It's big there, with shops everywhere. A favorite of BFF and mine was haselnuss (hazelnut gelato). We eat lots of it when there. I tried to make it once at home, but it wasn't the same (I didn't have a gelato maker).

What I’ve learned about gelato is that the fat content is lower than ice cream, it has less air mixed into it (more dense), it is meant to be stored at a slightly warmer temperature than ice cream and these properties cause it to release more intense flavors. Most importantly, you CAN make it in a regular home ice cream maker. 

The base I use is 2.5 c milk, 3/4 c cream, 3/4 c sugar and 2T corn starch, + 2T vodka or other booze (limoncello, kirsch, cream de minte, etc.) You basically make a custard and add the booze to the cooled mixture ( to decrease size of ice crystals).

@0106 You might try the Dulce de leche gelato. Argentinians eat lots of dulce de leche. Expect to see it on the breakfast table. I don’t remember the name but there’s a famous chocolate chunk ice cream that has to do with “Granny’s” that is really good. Abuelita? 

This is Ushuaia with Zaandam in the background.
7332916E-1CE5-483D-B525-0EE7F228D125.thumb.jpeg.3546ccb84640eb563315820c03f9f32b.jpeg

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 6