No more free lobster night at MDR?

fstuff1

That’s day 2 menu …..the free lobster is a couple of days before you get off the cruise night. I can see the fee lobster in the app if you look on the right day with a charge for a second lobster tail. 

• Thanks 1

NO!!!!!!!!! That is not correct.

So far, that menu is only for the Equinox. And it's apparently a trial.

This has been addressed. Within the last few days. In a very long thread. If it's a 7 day or longer cruise, there will be a free lobster night. You can ALSO buy lobster, if you so desire, every night. Including buying an extra on the free night.

• Thanks 5

Being from New England I'm picky about my lobster. Cooking lobster from a frozen state is an art and if you mess it up there is no salvaging the final product. With that said I will definitely be trying the free lobster (I am also averse to paying for food when so much is included). It would have to be really, really good for me to pay for a second one.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

Being from New England I'm picky about my lobster. Cooking lobster from a frozen state is an art and if you mess it up there is no salvaging the final product. With that said I will definitely be trying the free lobster (I am also averse to paying for food when so much is included). It would have to be really, really good for me to pay for a second one.

and being from Nova Scotia I agree.. The ship isn't serving lobster . It is southern crayfish which is not even in the lobster family!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

56 minutes ago, gold1953 said:

and being from Nova Scotia I agree.. The ship isn't serving lobster . It is southern crayfish which is not even in the lobster family!!

I actually got to try southern crayfish when we sailed out of New Orleans earlier this year. Quite tasty but the lobster tails we've seen on cruise ships are bigger than that, but they not Maine lobster. They are rock lobster, which aren't as sweet.

I'm not sure about Celebrity but on Carnival the upcharge lobster is a Maine lobster (whole or tail depending on what is ordered). DW is allergic to shellfish so I don't get to eat lobster too often (in the summer I will have my local market steam one for me which I will take home and eat outside. Which is a pain so I usually do it only once a year.)

1 hour ago, gold1953 said:

Had the BEST and freshest lobster in NS at Hall's Harbor a few years back!   I watched the boat come in, dump the lobsters into a tank, and chose the one I wanted.  It was wonderful.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gold1953 said:

Yeah very true- a big crawfish.  Lobster has claws.  But if you put the proper description on the menu, most people would think it was a downgrade (which it is compared to real lobster).  Can you imagine the threads?  One would be "No more free crawfish"?  Or -- "When is crawfish night in the MDR"?  Or -- "When did they reduce the crawfish tail size"?  Or -  "Can I order a second crawfish"?  LOL.😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

I actually got to try southern crayfish when we sailed out of New Orleans earlier this year. Quite tasty but the lobster tails we've seen on cruise ships are bigger than that, but they not Maine lobster. They are rock lobster, which aren't as sweet.

I'm not sure about Celebrity but on Carnival the upcharge lobster is a Maine lobster (whole or tail depending on what is ordered). DW is allergic to shellfish so I don't get to eat lobster too often (in the summer I will have my local market steam one for me which I will take home and eat outside. Which is a pain so I usually do it only once a year.)

Rock lobster or Caribbean lobster are crawfish.  Just different names to confuse everybody into thinking they are getting real Cold-water lobster.

• Like 1

There are many reasons to sail with Celebrity, but the 'lobster' really isn't one of them.

Far too much excitement and angst over what is a very poor substitute for the real thing.

The miserable little overcooked example in Murano on our recent cruise ended any pretence that there was lobster on the menu...

Enjoy a real lobster on land, and enjoy the cruise for other reasons in our opinion...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Rock lobster or Caribbean lobster are crawfish.  Just different names to confuse everybody into thinking they are getting real Cold-water lobster.

Here's what Wikipedia says: Spiny lobsters, also known as langustas, langouste, or rock lobsters, are a family (Palinuridae) of about 60 species of achelate crustaceans, in the Decapoda Reptantia. Spiny lobsters are also, especially in Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, South Africa, and The Bahamas, called crayfish, sea crayfish, or crawfish ("kreef" in South Africa), terms which elsewhere are reserved for freshwater crayfish.[1]

Something I never knew. 🙂 

47 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

Here's what Wikipedia says: Spiny lobsters, also known as langustas, langouste, or rock lobsters, are a family (Palinuridae) of about 60 species of achelate crustaceans, in the Decapoda Reptantia. Spiny lobsters are also, especially in Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, South Africa, and The Bahamas, called crayfish, sea crayfish, or crawfish ("kreef" in South Africa), terms which elsewhere are reserved for freshwater crayfish.[1]

Something I never knew. 🙂 

But you are from New England!😀

2 hours ago, gerelmx said:

The best Lobster I have tasted was in PEI

Absolutely. 3 of the things PEI is noted for: lobster suppers, Anne of Green Gables and Cows ice cream. I remember with fondness back in the distant past when you could get a lobster dinner in one of the church halls, sitting at long tables covered in newsprint, with a plastic bib around your neck. Sheer bliss and bonus points if you also ate the 'tamale'.

That pitiful rubbery object they serve on the ship isn't worth the effort to chew.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, larry_s_taco said:

So are the free lobsters the spiny/rock lobsters and the ones you pay for Maine lobsters? I would be willing to pay an additional fee for a Maine lobster. 

We’re assuming Caribbean lobsters. To my knowledge, there have been no sightings of Maine lobster in any Celebrity MDR—included or upcharged. 

13 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Agree, I dont think I have gotten the small bite of lobster on my last 5 or six cruises tbh.  I also live in NE,, in NH and go up to Maine Coast every other weekend just about so what Celebrity serves is kind of laughable to me how people fawn over it.  If anything celebrity should do something different and serve Stone Crab or something like that on sailing out of Florida.  Now that is a treat in its own. And serving lobster in more or less banquet style well, no comment will just shake my head on how it most likely will come out.  

Edited by bikerunner
  • Like 2