Theme Cruise - A Negative?

antmaril

So, I just found out today that the cruise I have booked on the Sky Princess for January 13, 2024 is a “Polka” cruise.  My friend and I have had this cruise booked for a long time due to canceling cruises because of Covid.  Anyway, she is freaking out thinking this theme is going to have a negative impact on our experience.  I have assured her that it should be fine.  We may not even notice they are onboard.  However, I am starting to worry about it a little.  Will it affect our cruise?   If I hadn’t looked at my Roll Call today, I wouldn’t have even known.  Your thoughts?   Thanks!

37 minutes ago, antmaril said:

So, I just found out today that the cruise I have booked on the Sky Princess for January 13, 2024 is a “Polka” cruise.  My friend and I have had this cruise booked for a long time due to canceling cruises because of Covid.  Anyway, she is freaking out thinking this theme is going to have a negative impact on our experience.  I have assured her that it should be fine.  We may not even notice they are onboard.  However, I am starting to worry about it a little.  Will it affect our cruise?   If I hadn’t looked at my Roll Call today, I wouldn’t have even known.  Your thoughts?   Thanks!

I did an 80s cruise.

It was pretty much 80s music everywhere all the time.

If polka isn't your thing, I would see if you can change to another date or ship. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, antmaril said:

This sounds like one of those "partial charters" where a group (in this case a bunch of polka lovers or their representative) controls a bunch of cabins and sometimes reserves space onboard at certain times for their group.  From what I've heard, IF you're part of the group, the experience is great.  But if you're not, then it's not so good.  And the bigger the group, the worse it is for those who aren't in the in crowd.  Good luck.

P.S.  The only polka music I approve of comes from this guy:

Weird_Al_Yankovic_profile.jpg.0e3e60158ddcf3298dfc088020c30093.jpg

18 minutes ago, KKB said:

I did an 80s cruise.

It was pretty much 80s music everywhere all the time.

I have done two of Princess' 80s themed cruises.  I can confirm the above.  

This is different than the OP's partial charter above.  The theme itself is coming from the cruise line, so it's easier to know about and easier to get away from before booking or boarding.

Edited by Honolulu Blue
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

Over the years my husband and I have been on many Princess ships that had groups (including a Polka Group) onboard, they have never impacted our cruise. Sometimes you may see an area that is being used by that group for a certain time but will be open up later on. Many times we never noticed that there was a large group on until we noticed a lot of name tags. We wouldn't hesitate to go on any cruise just because of a group cruise.  

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Barter123 said:

Over the years my husband and I have been on many Princess ships that had groups (including a Polka Group) onboard, they have never impacted our cruise. Sometimes you may see an area that is being used by that group for a certain time but will be open up later on. Many times we never noticed that there was a large group on until we noticed a lot of name tags. We wouldn't hesitate to go on any cruise just because of a group cruise.  

Thank you!  That makes me feel better.  I was on a cruise (either the Sky or Regal, can’t remember) with an Irish group and it had no impact at all.  Sometimes, there was an area that was closed, but it was no big deal.  

I have assured my friend that polka music will not replace the Princess entertainment.   

I am going to stop worrying about it.   I think we’ll be okay.   

• Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, DCThunder said:

Just remember that in heaven there is no beer, so that's why we drink it here.  And when we're gone from here, our friends will be drinking all the beer.

Go Hawks!

• Like 1

We were on an Eastern Caribbean cruise right before the covid shut down that turned out to be a music cruise put on by a group called Concerts At Sea.  I didn't know about it before we booked and found out much later by happenstance.  For our cruise they had specific bands aboard and many group-specific activities that were only open to people who paid for the group sailing.  So every evening the Vista Lounge had this group's activities and Club 6 was booked up most nights as well.  The Piazza music trended toward this group but of course that was open to all passengers.  In retrospect it didn't ruin our cruise, but it definitely impacted it since we didn't have as many evening activities open to us, and we also noticed that large groups of people congregated in the open areas more so than on our other cruises -- i.e. people from the music groups tended to stick together and move about en masse.  

I wouldn't necessarily cancel just because of a group, but go in expecting that it will likely impact your sailing in some ways.  

Edit to say given the nature of the group and whole focus on dancing, I would expect those types of venues to be closed to other passengers off and on during the sailing.  The Vista Lounge is usually one of our favorite venues on any cruise, but we didn't get to enter it at all on this cruise as it was used exclusively by the group. 

Edited by Paula_MacFan
  • Like 2

“In retrospect it didn't ruin our cruise, but it definitely impacted it since we didn't have as many evening activities open to us, and we also noticed that large groups of people congregated in the open areas more so than on our other cruises -- i.e. people from the music groups tended to stick together and move about en masse.”

Thanks for your input on this cruise.  I guess the flip side is that when they are doing their polka thing, they aren’t out and about with the masses.  

I am tempted to just go ahead with it and hope for the best.  

• Like 4

We booked a 5-day cruise from Galveston as the first of a B2B.  Only later did we learn it was an "80's themed cruise".  We didn't know what to expect, but it was great fun.  Lots of decorated cabin doors, people in costumes and wigs, 80's trivia and music, etc.  And two-thirds of the cruisers were new to Princess, so I think Princess is trying to expand their passenger base.

We really enjoyed it!  Now, if it had been a heavy metal themed cruise, that wouldn't be our thing.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, BabsinTX said:

We booked a 5-day cruise from Galveston as the first of a B2B.  Only later did we learn it was an "80's themed cruise".  We didn't know what to expect, but it was great fun.  Lots of decorated cabin doors, people in costumes and wigs, 80's trivia and music, etc.  And two-thirds of the cruisers were new to Princess, so I think Princess is trying to expand their passenger base.

We really enjoyed it!  Now, if it had been a heavy metal themed cruise, that wouldn't be our thing.

I was on this cruise, though I didn't do the B2B. You speak the truth, but I suspect it being an 80s cruise was a smaller factor in all the Princess n00bs than Princess being new to Galveston.

There are a couple of heavy metal themed charter cruises out there. They're not on Princess. But that demographic is inching closer to Princess' typical age...

• Haha 1

I was pleasantly surprised how much we Liked our 80's cruise we were on in Feb.

When we booked the cruise, it wasn't.... then it Became an 80's cruise.

Didn't know what to expect, but the bands were really Good.  We liked it a lot!

So the Polka group MAY perform in the theater a night or two....

Or maybe theres a Polka party in the Piazza one night, but it might be a HOOT.

I would go anyway & have Fun.  Try not to worry.

• Like 1

Personally, an 80’s theme cruise sounds like a blast. Other theme cruises I have heard about sound interesting and would just roll with it and have as much fun as I could.

But Polka?…….. just throw me overboard and put me out of my misery 😩   😂🤣😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, AZjohn said:

Personally, an 80’s theme cruise sounds like a blast. Other theme cruises I have heard about sound interesting and would just roll with it and have as much fun as I could.

But Polka?…….. just throw me overboard and put me out of my misery 😩   😂🤣😂

It is the possibility of polka music that is sending my friend over the edge.  The thing is, I can’t guarantee that we won’t be exposed to a “Beer Barrel Polka” and the like.  😁.   It doesn’t bother me at all.  I played the accordion for eight years when I was young.  😂🪗. And, she calls herself an Italian.  😜

• Haha 2

I think you'll be fine.  Just to moved to IA from Wisconsin (15 yrs.) where I had an overdose of the Beer Barrel Polka!  I've been on theme cruises and they were fine. 

Sky is a big ship, polka folks will not dominate every venue.  On first Royal Princess, big band cruise, I was 39, dominated everything.  I didn't mind, small ship, passengers 60+ and then some, 12 of us under 50.

Edited by susancruzs

10 hours ago, KarmaCruisers said:

I would MUCH rather listen to Polka than MANY other music types…to me, Polka is “happy” music. (Almost like Mexican music..makes me feel like I’m at a circus)

While I have never voluntarily listened to polka, I think the happy music is a good description.  If I were the OP I would be prepared to embrace the polka and have a barrel of fun on the cruise (see what I did there).   Might even ask about how I could be a limited member for the duration of the cruise!