I need advice ASAP....

RoperDK

We are supposed to cruise on Saturday.  Check in time of 10:30. DH woke up today feeling off.  Nauseous, runny nose, lethargy and chills with no fever that we can tell. It could be allergies/sinuses, but he hasn't improved today at all after taking meds. We tested for covid and it was negative.  We are supposed to leave in the morning (Thursday) to drive to see family for one night and then overnight at a port hotel (Friday).  It is horrible timing.  Can't really wait it out and see what happens and shouldn't go and expose family or cruisers to whatever it might be.  We have Royal's insurance.  Does anyone know the timing of the cancel for any reason or what proof you might need to cancel for sickness under these circumstances?  In my 40 cruises, this is a new one on me.  Help!

41 minutes ago, RoperDK said:

We are supposed to cruise on Saturday.  Check in time of 10:30. DH woke up today feeling off.  Nauseous, runny nose, lethargy and chills with no fever that we can tell. It could be allergies/sinuses, but he hasn't improved today at all after taking meds. We tested for covid and it was negative.  We are supposed to leave in the morning (Thursday) to drive to see family for one night and then overnight at a port hotel (Friday).  It is horrible timing.  Can't really wait it out and see what happens and shouldn't go and expose family or cruisers to whatever it might be.  We have Royal's insurance.  Does anyone know the timing of the cancel for any reason or what proof you might need to cancel for sickness under these circumstances?  In my 40 cruises, this is a new one on me.  Help!

That is not a covered reason so you would have to use the CFAR.  That can be used up to the day of sailing.

BTW, if he does happen to test positive for Covid then Royal is still granting full refunds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maybe a trip to an urgent care?  So many things out there beyond CV but most are soon dealt with assuming a normal immune system.

If it's something contagious then you shouldn't go.  Good on you for buying insurance.  This is why you bought it, understand it's coverage and use it if appropriate.

Beyond that I wish DH a speedy recovery and hoping it's just something that isn't contagious like something DH ate.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Well, now he has a fever of 100.4 and actively vomiting.  Sorry if TMI, but we have an 8 hour drive tomorrow morning and doubt he could make it at this point.  Should I call Royal?  Will they flag us?  Would hate to drive that far and be denied boarding.  I thought that they didn't want to board people with viruses.  What happens to those that are sick at the pier?  Do they not refund your money if they won't allow you onboard?  Would you like to cruise with us?  I have the option of skipping the family visit which is going to happen because I don't want to bring this to my 96 year old father.  However, it is a long one day drive and it would be beyond a bummer if we couldn't board and also be denied a refund.   

14 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

If I was you, I would cancel your Thursday plans.  Let him rest, plenty of fluids and see how he feels Friday before calling Royal.  

I hope he feels better soon and for you to remain well too

That is our working plan now.  Can't chance exposing my 96 year old father to whatever this is.  Going to get Dr. appt in AM and go from there.  It will be a helluva drive for us on Friday if we can go.  Crossing my fingers that I am not next in line for this.   

• Like 3

If you go to the doctor and got insurance you should be ok to cancel.  Be sure the doctor writes a note on official paper that he advises you not go to submit to Royal and to insurance. You won’t be able to answer the boarding questions honestly.  And you will be miserable it it hits you next.   Best wishes whatever you decide.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RoperDK said:

Go on your cruise. Maybe bypass the visit and head to the hotel. 

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

This. Use the insurance. All he is going to do is get others sick. Don't do it. 

I'm all for going on the cruise if this is just a 24 hr passing type of illness.  If it isn't, how do I know that Royal will cover this with their insurance?  This is a big concern.  Our cruise wasn't cheap.  Unfortunately, the timing of this illness is terrible.  

25 minutes ago, RoperDK said:

I'm all for going on the cruise if this is just a 24 hr passing type of illness.  If it isn't, how do I know that Royal will cover this with their insurance?  This is a big concern.  Our cruise wasn't cheap.  Unfortunately, the timing of this illness is terrible.  

https://coverage.archinsurancesolutions.com/description-of-coverage/EDgodKUgZgCcD1b4ZJCSD9h66uayBESRY4xFuuN2dQ5cvBYaxcOGvl7MDMgNFuQH0Q44

Illness is a covered reason for cancellation under anybody’s insurance, including Royal. See #1 under Cancellation Penalty Waiver. You just need to provide documentation in the form of a doctor’s diagnosis.

If the doctor says your husband should not travel, get the supporting statement/diagnosis for filing the claim then cancel.  See the section “Where to report…” You do not have to settle for CFAR. You are entitled to cash reimbursement under the terms of the policy.

Edited by Babr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a doctorate on cruise forums and how to use information form total strangers who have no expertise on somebody’s health without a remote diagnostic zoom call or patient visit 

Dr Le Tsassume

Only you can decide on what’s best and you know Royal reads these boards so you have already let them know you have a potentially sick PAX soon to board one of their ships 

Nobody on here can decide for you, only you can decide what is best 

Wishing your other 1/2 a speedy recovery 

hot toddie and sugar 🥃

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I agree with the advice to pass on the visit with family member and see how husband feels.  You also need to see if the doctor can determine exactly what the issue might be!

One time on a business trip I had food poisoning, and I was extremely ill for a day and a half with similar symptoms. However, it passed and then I was basically fine, just recovering.  

Nowadays with so many diseases and viruses floating around, one can never be completely sure.  

Best wishes to you, and hopes for a speedy and full recovery for your husband!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, time4u2go said:

Fever, lethargic, and actively vomiting? He should not be going on a cruise.

He's not going to want to travel if he's ill anyway. I would think he would just want to stay in his own bed and recover.  He probably wouldn't enjoy the holiday if he's feeling rotten 

I guess I would re-evaluate on Friday.

Well done on getting the catch all insurance 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MommaBear55 said:

Seriously? Advising someone with a communicable illness to go on a cruise where they could pass it to others? And yes,  I worked in the ED for 40 years, 15 of them as a provider.   

How do you KNOW it's a communicable illness though?  Is it possible it's food poisoning?  

I agree with getting to a doctor and finding out what's wrong. 

My "optimistic" side agrees with those who say skip the family visit and go to the port on Friday.  You can always hit an urgent treatment there.  My "pessimistic" side says even if it's not Covid, if it is something that lasts longer than 24 hours, and/or is transmissible, then you could BOTH be a long a way from home and sick.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1