Tuesday November 7th, 2023 -- The Fleet Report and Daily

richwmn

Good morning all, cancer awareness is a good thing...we all need to pay attention to our bodies and what's going on.  Not sure about the drinks today, but the meal sounds interesting.  Can't wait to see the recipes from @dfish  Have not been to the port, the pictures so far look nice!  Can't wait to see more.  I was waiting for pictures of the dragons yesterday!    🤭

Sad day in Wisconsin, our Brewers manager took a new job with the rival Chicago Cubs!  

I'm off to an exercise class soon, then lunch with friends!  DH is "up north" picking up leaves and getting new patio doors installed...always some repairs somewhere!  

Good thoughts for those needing them, and cheers to all celebrating!  The cruise pictures are making me happy, and anxious for our winter trip on Nieuw Statendam in a few months!  

We had a high of 70 yesterday, a bit cooler today.  Have a great day, Karen

• Like 29

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I'm pretty sure we're all well aware of cancer, as I don't know of a single family that hasn't been affected by this terrible disease.  I can hug one of our DGS's big teddy bears downstairs, and I know my night cream contains retinol - not that it's helping, but I try.  

It rained again overnight, although we're sitting at +2 (35), so at least it isn't freezing.  We're expecting to hit a high temp of +3 - woo hoo.  LOL   I'm heading out to meet my retired colleagues for breakfast this morning, which is always a lot of fun.  Apparently there might be a dozen of us today, which will make for some lively conversations.

A terrible thing happened at a small city not far from us - a woman and her 2 little girls decided to walk on the ice on a nearby lake and they fell through.  2 men saw what happened and went in to save them; the mother and 1 little girl were okay, but sadly both men and the second little girl perished.  We're just in shock, as we've barely had enough cold weather to put just a thin sheet of ice on any waterways.  When we used to go ice fishing, our friend always made sure there was at least a foot of ice before we went on it, otherwise we stayed home in front of the fireplace.

@RMLincoln I'm glad to hear your packing is going well - but yuck about the sciatica!!

@StLouisCruisers thanks for the photo of sweet little Elliott Rose - what a doll!

I'm going to take a pass on the drink, would love the wine, and will tuck the menu suggestion away for another day.  The friends we'll be cruising with have asked to meet them for dinner tonight, so it looks like we'll be enjoying Greek food at a restaurant this evening.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, suffering, grieving, and in the throes of war.  Cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 26
  • Thanks 5

Good morning everyone.   Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports @richwmn.  Cancer awareness is very important, I have my annual skin check coming  up after having skin cancer on my face.   No teddy bears to hug in this house,  they are about 400 miles away at the cabin.   I don't use retinol too much because I am in the sun so much, I need every layer of skin + sunscreen to protect my skin.   A good quote today.   I have not been to today's port so thanks to @StLouisCruisers and everyone else for posting them.   It looks like a beautiful spot from Sandi's photos.  Sandi it must be sad your long-time neighbors are moving away, 

Prayers for Vanessa today with the persistent pain she has been suffering with.  @RMLincoln thanks for the update on the move and that you got a lot done with the needed help.   Prayers for Baby Murphy to continue to improve.  Prayers for everyone in our group needing them and those in Israel, Ukraine and the innocents in Gaza.    

I am going to start on doing the outdoor lights today.  It is breezy but dry and will get to 50 today.  The inside tree is fully decorated and I just need to carry the tubs to the basement.   A nice dinner tonight that I don't have to cook and a chance to visit with friends I don't see that often with our travel schedule.  Have a lovely Tuesday.   Nancy 

• Like 26

Good morning. It will be a little warmer today and the rain we had overnight has stopped. I think most families have dealt with the realities of cancer. We are still shocked here by the rapid decline DH had. I met others while going for treatment and medical appointments who have been  dealing with their illnesses for years. 
I have not been to Turkey but thank Sandi for the nice photos. I have chicken that needs to be cooked today so await the recipe from Debbie.

@Quartzsite Cruiser, Lenda, the motor home looks so nice. I admire your driving skills . I can’t imagine backing that up!

@JazzyV, Vanessa, what is up with the Social Worker? I wish there was more of a push on the medical folks to find a solution for you. I was so fortunate last year to get my hip surgery done very quickly.Like you, the pain was much worse at night when lying supine. I must have had five different pillows in bed with me in an attempt to find a position that was manageable.

@dfish, I am glad River has you and Sue to go to but it must break your heart to hear a six year old say she doesn’t want to go home. 
I am almost seventy years old but still remember my wonderful aunt who often took all three of us for a week at a time. We always knew we could call her when the home front became too chaotic.

Have a great day today!

• Like 29

Good morning, everyone!

It is a chilly start to the day here in mid-Michigan.  Yesterday's rain and wind brought down tons of leaves and the whole yard needs to be done again.  I think that is a daily occurrence for now.  We are going to vote this morning and then I have a zoom meeting.  Later, a neighbor is coming for coffee and to plan the winter neighborhood party.  We are hosting this year.  

@StLouisCruisers Great news about Scott and I'm sure Susan is greatly relieved.  

@RMLincoln Thinking of you as you go through the move.  It is a lot of work, but well worth it in the end.  

@smitty34877 I wonder about the Social Worker as well.  I hope the doctors aren't passing @JazzyV Vanessa off as one who is making things up.  Too often when they can't find the cause they assume the patient is having mental health issues.   Back when I had the severe pain in my side one doctor said to me, "I don't think you're crazy.  You don't appear to be to me."   Thank you for your comments about River.  We had made it clear to her that she is welcome here anytime.  Unfortunately, at age six she has so little control over her environment.  

Today's meal sounds really good to me.  Feel free to use any part of the chicken that you enjoy.  I don't care for thighs and would probably use breasts.  You can also augment with any vegetable you like.  This first recipe calls for carrots, but I would use broccoli or brussels sprouts.  https://www.aheadofthyme.com/skillet-chicken-thighs-and-potatoes/

chickenthighsandpotatoes1.thumb.jpg.9f10ec75d24b072f73c588c250d6f012.jpg

This one has a honey garlic sauce for the chicken and potatoes and sounds yummy to me!  https://wholeandheavenlyoven.com/2018/01/22/skillet-honey-garlic-chicken-thighs-roast-potatoes/

chickenthighsandpotatoes2.thumb.jpg.eacf3767b18b91f27c20c3d2f6167e28.jpg

Ina Garten uses a little white wine in her sauce.  I bet it is really good!  https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/skillet-roasted-chicken-and-potatoes-11887246

chickenthighsandpotatoes3.thumb.jpeg.bd6d87358ace9dc149ec3a55700d820a.jpeg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 8

Good morning,

I have a breakfast date with a friend whose husband was just diagnosed with a rare disease. He has been sick for almost two years, lost almost 70 pounds and has been to multiple doctors. No cure but very expensive treatments ($100,000 out of pocket per year) that may or may not stop progression. So sad. 

Vanessa, maybe the SW will help get adaptive equipment for your home and help find other services you might be eligible for. I know my SW did that for my families. 

I love my retinol. I will find a bear to hug and I am well aware of cancer. I rarely eat chicken thighs but may try one of the recipes this weekend. 

Prayers to all and have a great day. 

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from sunny central Texas where it is 62F and feels like 61F.  The humidity is 99% with a dew point of 61F.   The predicted high is 85F, so after running errands, voting, and registering the motorhome, I think we'll finish going through the final two outside compartments on the motorhome.

We should be aware of cancer everyday.  I won't be hugging a bear today since the only ones here are DDs' Care Bears in boxes in the attic.  I don't think there is any retinol in any thing I use.  I tried it about 30+ years ago when you had to use a certain soap on your face.  Evidently, it had an ingredient that bothered my eyes.

The Friedrich Nietzsche quote is interesting.

We'll pass on the meal and the drink.  I would like to try the wine.

We have not been to Marmaris.

The sailing of the Mary Celeste from New York in 1872 ended with a still unsolved mystery.  She was found floating about 400 miles east of the Azores on December 5, 1872.  The lifeboat was missing and there was not sign of her ten man crew.  

I'll salute the founding of the oldest musical organization in 1786 in Boston.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, I know you will miss Brenda and Paul when they move.  Thanks for the pictures of Marmaris.  I'm glad Scott will be released to home and that Susan will get some help caring for him.

@Nickelpenny Penny, I hope your MRI will give the doctor the information needed to help you.  Enjoy your dinner out.

@RMLincoln  Maureen, it sounds like you are making a lot of progress in preparation for the move.  I'm glad you had help with the packing and sorting.  I hope both eye appointments go well and that your DH can get something to relieve the itching.

@rafinmd  Beautiful sun rise today.  Enjoy the train ride to Florida.

@ger_77  Gerry, that is such a sad story.  You would think those living on the frozen tundra would know to wait for thick ice.

371345660_6913889731977144_7926527819844010788_n.jpg.811489a3e8ada621a55b4761a34163a1.jpg

371920539_274113115411024_6742044876896213245_n.jpg.a3f119872acf3f78c866cbc8ca613128.jpg

392916921_714630240699986_2449450238731396166_n.thumb.jpg.154777fe6f4b52945a7871a5871d16e7.jpg

392953206_6903478049709046_7369734614909764905_n.thumb.jpg.2f26b654414d3f4598e9d870cfd17fe8.jpg

395230247_1759762131131741_8394202200754341892_n.thumb.jpg.794c2d61a158767eca5d950716208a19.jpg

396720168_1764060190701935_3103729806416087882_n.thumb.jpg.d4233248100ee890edfcaee36f6e568f.jpg

Lenda

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 18

20 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning. It will be a little warmer today and the rain we had overnight has stopped. I think most families have dealt with the realities of cancer. We are still shocked here by the rapid decline DH had. I met others while going for treatment and medical appointments who have been  dealing with their illnesses for years. 
I have not been to Turkey but thank Sandi for the nice photos. I have chicken that needs to be cooked today so await the recipe from Debbie.

@Quartzsite Cruiser, Lenda, the motor home looks so nice. I admire your driving skills . I can’t imagine backing that up!

@JazzyV, Vanessa, what is up with the Social Worker? I wish there was more of a push on the medical folks to find a solution for you. I was so fortunate last year to get my hip surgery done very quickly.Like you, the pain was much worse at night when lying supine. I must have had five different pillows in bed with me in an attempt to find a position that was manageable.

@dfish, I am glad River has you and Sue to go to but it must break your heart to hear a six year old say she doesn’t want to go home. 
I am almost seventy years old but still remember my wonderful aunt who often took all three of us for a week at a time. We always knew we could call her when the home front became too chaotic.

Have a great day today!

Terri, thank you for your comments about the motorhome.  It has a backup camera to help when backing.  DH does most of the driving, but this one I should be able to handle on the uncrowded parts of the Interstate.

8 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

Good morning,

I have a breakfast date with a friend whose husband was just diagnosed with a rare disease. He has been sick for almost two years, lost almost 70 pounds and has been to multiple doctors. No cure but very expensive treatments ($100,000 out of pocket per year) that may or may not stop progression. So sad. 

Vanessa, maybe the SW will help get adaptive equipment for your home and help find other services you might be eligible for. I know my SW did that for my families. 

I love my retinol. I will find a bear to hug and I am well aware of cancer. I rarely eat chicken thighs but may try one of the recipes this weekend. 

Prayers to all and have a great day. 

Lorraine, I'm sorry your friend's husband has been unwell for two years and finally got a devastating diagnosis.

Lenda

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

Good cloudy morning. It’s supposed to get up to about 70 today.

I just stopped to vote and DB and I were the first ones to vote at 9:00. 
I found out yesterday that a family friend) former organist at church) husband Bill has been placed on Hospice care. Please keep Lynda and Bill in your thoughts.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 7

Good morning all!

Another rainy morning, but this afternoon looks promising.  

Like every family, ours has been touched by cancer -- especially my dear sister who lost her battle at 68 after 10 years and 3 remissions.  I would hug a stuffed bear but they have all gone to the DGSs.  I don't think any of my skin creams have Retinol in them.  Very true quote, will pass on the red wine and drink.  The meal sounds good, I would have to buy some chicken with skin-on (always buy skinless breasts) but would like the last recipe best.  We've been to Turkey a few times but never to Marmaris.  Thank you Sandi @StLouisCruisers for the great photos.  

I got quite a chuckle last night.  Obviously DD has realized that we will be gone a very long time on the GA, and suddenly lined up some overnights with the DGSs before we leave.  I've been waiting for this, lol.  We'll miss them so much, so of course were happy to say yes to all the requests. DGS will get his cast tomorrow, so he'll be all set for their first overnight this Thursday. We've changed the swimming plans to a movie theater instead. 

Gerry @ger_77 What a sad thing to happen!  Prayers for all.

Sandi @StLouisCruisers Great news about Scott.

Prayers for Lorraine's @cruising sister friend's DH who is battling a rare disease and @1ANGELCAT's friend's DH Bill who was put on hospice.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

Cancer is something I hope research can one day conquer; in the meantime we need to do our screening tests. I'll hug one of my stuffed bears. Retinol (Vitamin A) seems to be all the rage for face serums. I like the quote. I'll take the meal, pass on the drink, and yes to the wine. I haven't been to Marmaris. 

Another nice day here. It was 61 this morning! Cloudy now, but some sun later. Same old same old for me. I don't know if I'll try any leaf blowing later.

@StLouisCruisers Amen to those awful political ads ending, as well as the messages to my cellphone! So far my working diagnosis is nerve impingement due to narrowing of the space where it exits the spine, either due to bone spurs or disc herniation, both seen on a 2021 MRI. It will be interesting to see what the new MRI shows. Sorry to hear your dear neighbors will be moving. Thanks for the Marmaris photos; and that's a nice picture of the two of you. Great news about Scott!

@Nickelpenny It will be interesting to see what your doctor tells you about the MRI, and hopefully has a path to get you feeling better.

@seagarsmoker Enjoy Half Moon Cay.

@aliaschief Safe travels home.

@RMLincoln You've been really busy! Good that you had the grandkids to help. That is so good that DH's eye doctor approves of your NJ one.

@rafinmd I hope the rest of the trip to FL is just as smooth.

@ger_77 So sad about the two rescuers and little girl perishing. Going out on ice is always risky and usually it's tested to make sure it's thick enough.

@ottahand7 Sorry to hear about that towman. Enjoy your dinner with friends. I don't know that I'll get any outside lights up this year.

@smitty34877 I too wish things could move along faster. I was thinking maybe the Social Worker to help with any services I might need since I live alone? Or they have you fill out those surveys about your mood now; and of course due to chronic pain I do answer that I sometimes have down days. Who knows? I hope to get a callback today. If I try to work outside I guess I'll have to forward the house phone to my cellphone. 

@dfish The Ina recipe looks good.

@cruising sister Prayers for your friend's DH. 

@Quartzsite Cruiser Interesting about the Mary Celeste. The motorhome is gorgeous! I was thinking when I saw it, would you drive it? I don't think I could, except maybe just on straight highways.

@1ANGELCAT Prayers for Lynda and Bill.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for those with something to Celebrate.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 7

Good morning.

After I posted my “bear hug” photo I had to get out of the house and hotfoot it to the Toyota Dealer to get my car serviced.  So here I sit and wait for the car to be ready.

Thank you to Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann and Dixie for keeping us going every single day.  It is my go-to place everyday.  Sometimes I’m early and other times it takes all day to get here.

I will celebrate the days.  

I am all for Cancer Awareness and have lost some people very dear to me to that awful disease.

As you can see I have “hugged a bear” albeit not a real one.

As for retinol, I am game, if it helps.

I like the quote and think it is very true.

As for the F&B department, the meal sounds good, i will pass on the drink and wine.

I have not been to Izmir.

Jim’s knee is improving, but still somewhat swollen.  We removed the compression wrap yesterday. He is still keeping the leg elevated as much as possible and icing it as often as he can.  I think the prednisone is helping to reduce the inflammation and swelling.  He is walking better. 

Prayers for all on the cares list and cheers for those cruising and getting ready to cruise.

Hope you all have a wonderful day.

Happy Tuesday.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 26

@ger_77, Geri, I keep thinking about the I’ll fated ice rescuers and the little girl. That is just so sad.

I also meant to say yesterday that your Thanksgiving for your Ukrainian friends was a wonderful thing to do.It sounded like a huge success and their dessert offering sounded tasty. Plus, you have great leftovers!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Lunch was at Panera again.  Officially, checking cars in opens at 12:30.  I lined up about 12:10 and things were already moving.  By 12:30 I had a number on the car, went into the station checkin desk, and have my ticket for dinner at 5.  Boarding is supposed to start at 3:30.

Roy

• Like 27

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Lunch was at Panera again.  Officially, checking cars in opens at 12:30.  I lined up about 12:10 and things were already moving.  By 12:30 I had a number on the car, went into the station checkin desk, and have my ticket for dinner at 5.  Boarding is supposed to start at 3:30.

Roy

Have a great cruise Roy. Bon Voyage!

• Like 17

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Good wishes for a wonderful cruise Roy.

• Like 10