Saturday December 2nd, 2023 -- The Fleet Report and Daily

richwmn

Good morning Daily family. The Harvest Festival yesterday with DD was nice. We both just got a couple items. And DD found $5 in the parking lot!

I’ve got to get my act together. I need to finish the cards/treats for the office. I only go in on Monday, the rest of the week is work at home. And I’m volunteering at church this weekend. And I need to start packing for my trip. 

Hope everyone has a nice weekend. Stay safe and healthy! 

• Like 25

Good morning to all and thanks for the daily and fleet reports. Stayed aboard the ship yesterday and got a 100 minute massage. It sure helped as I have a long day going up to the Volcanic National Park and a coffee plantation. 

I may need to try the Mirimotos lobster as it looks delicious!!  

just now cruising into Kona. Better go and get ready!!

Glad Roy is almost home!  And cool about Ren going to ND!!  

have a great day everyone!!  I know I will!!!😁

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Nickelpenny said:

Good morning to all and thanks for the daily and fleet reports. Stayed aboard the ship yesterday and got a 100 minute massage. It sure helped as I have a long day going up to the Volcanic National Park and a coffee plantation. 

Nickelpenny, enjoy your day on the big island. We spent a week in Hilo in 2010 and enjoyed it. Put 800 miles on the rental car in 6 days.  Volcano National park is really interesting, we were close enough to go there at night and see the glow and gasses coming from the caldera.  It was fascinating to watch.  

Peter

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Pollution prevention: one of my fellow students is the pastor of a downtown church that has a street ministry, and on Sundays they serve a lunch on the church lawn, with an outdoor prayer service to welcome people who might be uncomfortable inside the church. They take an offering, but not cash. Instead, each person is invited to bring an item, picked up in the street, for recycling.

The meal is one that I make from time to time, using the recipe for poulet en cocotte from Mastering the Art of French Cooking. Pass on the drink. I can't come up with another Viognier from the Finger Lakes, so I'll nominate a variety that is very little known: Rkatsiteli, from Dr. Frank's. "A Georgian grape variety that dates back to 3000 B.C. and the oldest known grape variety in the world." (That refers to Georgia in eastern Europe, not the peach state.) I haven't been to Cape Verde.

Yesterday I noticed that the fares for my Panama Canal cruise next December had dropped, so I called and changed my cabin from an inside to an obstructed oceanview. I was considering changing to a different sailing because of a likely conflict with school, but the next several sailings are in the Christmas-New Year period, at much higher fares. The conflict, if it occurs, would exist because HIU closes for the week of Thanksgiving, which is not until November 28.

Calvinlist.jpg.d15c794cda5d0c66a3e2c5dcd8d00a87.jpg

• Like 14
  • Haha 15

Good morning, 

We're due for an atmospheric river but there's a pause in the rain. DS came over and fixed my outdoor lights and filled the outdoor squirrel and bird feeders as well as the suet. I so appreciate him!

Not a lot going on here. I've been doing water aerobics and PT to get my stuck hip muscle to be better and it's helping. It's taking longer than I'd like but that's always the case, isn't it? 

This weekend is getting the tree decorated (it's up with the lights on) and the seasonal dust collectors out. I moved DH's ashes to another spot and will put a lot of his bird figurines and ornaments around it. 

Have a good weekend!

Karen

• Like 29

Good morning, Dailyites.  I think I must have missed a lot from yesterday, and I will go back and read the Daily News...  I spent half the day in the hospital having a scope, and the other half asleep, recovering from the scope!  GI doctor said the flat polyp was back, removed what he could and I have to go back next year for another go at it.  Boo...  but he gave me the options of colonoscopy or colon cancer, so I guess I will go back next year.  It rained most of the day, I believe, so I didn't miss much.  Pat managed to book us a cruise for 2025, all on his own, although I will have to make a few changes next week.

The sun is shining today, and most of the leaves are down, so perhaps I will get out and do a bit of cleanup.  I have a tender fuchsia which still has flowers and the hummingbirds are visiting it, so I hesitate to put it away in the garage for the rest of the winter, but I will have to watch carefully for a threatened freeze.  This week is expected to be rainy and warm-ish....  

It sounds like there were happenings yesterday, good news and not-so-good, so I'll go back now and be thinking of you all.  We haven't been to Mindelo, but I will try to post a video of one of the bartenders on Rotterdam which Martha took;  hope @sailingdutchy doesn't mind.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 5

Quick update on my friend, Dena. The inflammation is going down but she still has pain when she stands up. The vascular surgeon thinks it’s vasculitis and he has discontinued the antibiotics. We will see where that goes. They have done a bunch of tests regarding autoimmune issues but those results are not back immediately. She is in such good spirits, a really positive person. And she appreciates all your prayers and says thank you. So far they have not talked discharging her. I think they are so baffled that they want to find a resolution.

We have recently had a major hack of our hospitals, here in Windsor , in Sarnia and in Chatham and the electronic services are not back up yet. Ransomware attack.  I just hope that everyone is paper charting faithfully so nothing gets lost in Dena’s records during this downtime.

grey and damp again here today, just above freezing. Prayers for all who need them and a shoutout to those celebrating.

• Like 24

Good afternoon.   A shout out to our Texans in our group, @Quartzsite Cruiser and @Haljo1935.   we are watching the OSU Texas game and Texas looks so good.   Michigan has the big game tonight.  Sadly I am falling asleep after 2 early mornings in a row for the greens sale.  It was pretty quiet today even through the weather was better than yesterday.   

Prayers for everyone on our care list and people in war zones.   Prayers for the hostages still being held.   Have a lovely Saturday.   Nancy 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

Good afternoon.   A shout out to our Texans in our group, @Quartzsite Cruiser and @Haljo1935.   we are watching the OSU Texas game and Texas looks so good.   Michigan has the big game tonight.  Sadly I am falling asleep after 2 early mornings in a row for the greens sale.  It was pretty quiet today even through the weather was better than yesterday.   

Prayers for everyone on our care list and people in war zones.   Prayers for the hostages still being held.   Have a lovely Saturday.   Nancy 

Thanks for the mention - go Texas!!

• Like 9

Just now, ottahand7 said:

It has been a good game.  

HOOKEM HORNS!  🤘

Lenda

• Like 10

🤘  TEXAS BIG XII CHAMPIONS!  🤘

It's fitting that Texas won since they won the last Southwest Conference championship, and the first Big XII championship.  Now, they've won the last year they will be in the Big XII.

During the first half, i got the Christmas cards signed, addressed, and stamped.  All that's left is writing the annual Christmas letter and getting them in the mail.  I'll confess, I used printed address labels.  the printing is easier to read than my hand writing, and they show up better on red envelopes than black ink.

When I finish here, I'm heading outside to put up the Christmas lights -- finally.

4 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

More rain, and mid-high 40's F today.  I was awakened at 5 this morning by a deafening downpour on our roof.  It really sounded like it was battering the house.  Then it stopped as quickly as it started.  Strange weather!

Three good days, I salute the hardworking bartenders everywhere and especially on BHBs.  I would like the meal, drink and wine (love Viognier).  But tonight I think we'll have tacos.  We've had chicken a lot this week.  

Both DH and I are having minimal effects after getting our 7th (!!) Covid booster yesterday.  Even our arms aren't very sore.  

Today I'll be getting the Christmas cards in the mail, and continue to work on packing.  Oh, and some laundry and housework sometime today 😉  

Prayers for all who are hurting and big cheers for all who are celebrating!

Carolyn, I'm glad you both are having minimal side effects from the booster.  That was the same with us.

4 hours ago, Nickelpenny said:

Pennie, I hope you enjoyed your visit to Volcano National Park and the coffee plantation..

2 hours ago, luvteaching said:

Good morning, 

We're due for an atmospheric river but there's a pause in the rain. DS came over and fixed my outdoor lights and filled the outdoor squirrel and bird feeders as well as the suet. I so appreciate him!

Not a lot going on here. I've been doing water aerobics and PT to get my stuck hip muscle to be better and it's helping. It's taking longer than I'd like but that's always the case, isn't it? 

This weekend is getting the tree decorated (it's up with the lights on) and the seasonal dust collectors out. I moved DH's ashes to another spot and will put a lot of his bird figurines and ornaments around it. 

Have a good weekend!

Karen

Karen, it always seems to take longer with medical recoveries than you expect.  Glad you're keeping up the good work.

2 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning, Dailyites.  I think I must have missed a lot from yesterday, and I will go back and read the Daily News...  I spent half the day in the hospital having a scope, and the other half asleep, recovering from the scope!  GI doctor said the flat polyp was back, removed what he could and I have to go back next year for another go at it.  Boo...  but he gave me the options of colonoscopy or colon cancer, so I guess I will go back next year.  It rained most of the day, I believe, so I didn't miss much.  Pat managed to book us a cruise for 2025, all on his own, although I will have to make a few changes next week.

The sun is shining today, and most of the leaves are down, so perhaps I will get out and do a bit of cleanup.  I have a tender fuchsia which still has flowers and the hummingbirds are visiting it, so I hesitate to put it away in the garage for the rest of the winter, but I will have to watch carefully for a threatened freeze.  This week is expected to be rainy and warm-ish....  

It sounds like there were happenings yesterday, good news and not-so-good, so I'll go back now and be thinking of you all.  We haven't been to Mindelo, but I will try to post a video of one of the bartenders on Rotterdam which Martha took;  hope @sailingdutchy doesn't mind.

IMG_4308.MOV 29.7 MB · 6 downloads  

Ann, sorry the doctor found a polyp and you have to go back next year.  However, the alternative is much worse. 

2 hours ago, superoma said:

Quick update on my friend, Dena. The inflammation is going down but she still has pain when she stands up. The vascular surgeon thinks it’s vasculitis and he has discontinued the antibiotics. We will see where that goes. They have done a bunch of tests regarding autoimmune issues but those results are not back immediately. She is in such good spirits, a really positive person. And she appreciates all your prayers and says thank you. So far they have not talked discharging her. I think they are so baffled that they want to find a resolution.

We have recently had a major hack of our hospitals, here in Windsor , in Sarnia and in Chatham and the electronic services are not back up yet. Ransomware attack.  I just hope that everyone is paper charting faithfully so nothing gets lost in Dena’s records during this downtime.

grey and damp again here today, just above freezing. Prayers for all who need them and a shoutout to those celebrating.

Eva, thanks for the update on Dena.  I hope they find the cause of her problems and can fix it quickly.  Yikes on the cyber attack on the hospitals.

31 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Our local Griswold house. At night they show movies on the house. You can listen on a radio station. 

IMG_4348.jpeg

IMG_4349.jpeg

IMG_4350.jpeg

IMG_4351.jpeg

IMG_4352.jpeg

IMG_4353.jpeg

IMG_4354.jpeg

IMG_4355.jpeg

Dixie, thanks for the pictures.  I think there is a Griswold house in most neighborhoods.

Lenda

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Currently closing the gap on Ponta Delgado with more water behind us than ahead. Circulating on the bus a couple days ago, was a rumor we weren't stopping at Ponta Delgada. This morning at GS, though, a manager handed the crew member a disembarkation  acknowledgement form he needs a passenger to sign. It clearly had Ponta Delgado as the place and Sunday (tomorrow) as the date. So unless something changes drastically before then, I anticipate we'll make our port in PD. Yippee!!😏

Punta  Delgada is not easy to get into it.  I hope the winds and waves co-operate for you 🤞 

8 hours ago, cruising sister said:

This will be the first Holiday season for some of our dailyites without their loved ones. My suggestion is do what you want. It will get better. Last year people kept trying to tell me what to do and how to feel. It was really about how they were feeling not me. The worst was when they said it would be what my DH and DS would want me to do.

So true and so sad you endured that 😢. People mean well but ……

8 hours ago, cruising sister said:

What they would want me to do is what I felt like doing. 

Truer words were never spoken.  

Too many are alone this holiday season and some of us didn’t have the nerve to face it and ran away 😉.  I agree and my advice for everyone trying to get through the season - do what you feel like - that’s what you loved one would want.  💔 

8 hours ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone. I’m happy to report that Sam is improving everyday. However I need major dental work including extractions, Perio surgery and implants requiring a sinus lift because there isn’t enough bone for the implants. The stress of the last two years has landed in my mouth and I am very nervous about all this to say nothing of the cost. I have a wonderful dentist and. Periodontist so have to put my faith in them. It will take a long time to get all of this done. I could use some prayers for healing without any complications.

Thanks.

Glad to hear the good news on Sam, Carole.

Hang in there for the dental surgery and implants.  If it is anything like here, the surgery is top notch, with a nurse, heart monitoring, etc.  Very safe procedure.

Healing takes time but the pain is very short lived.  

You certainly have my prayers for no complications.  It’s the biggest worry but seldom happens if you follow instructions.

Hang in there - we’re with you.

3 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Oh ugh on the colonoscopy, Ann.  I feel for you 😢 

I’m sorry you have to endure it again next year but it is much better than the alternative.

I hope you are feeling recovered tomorrow.

3 hours ago, superoma said:

I am glad that Dena is having some improvement.  I pray that the physicians can get to the bottom of it and solve her problems 🙏 

3 hours ago, superoma said:

YIKES 😱 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

@Himself Father I've looked for you  "daily" and can't catch up to you. Wanted to talk old times of your visits to Algonquin.  I am in an orange swimsuit in Lido pool in front of the bar area. Would sure love to meet ya!

20231202_115353.thumb.jpg.ff9539d1ff04e71299e33a82d82ff7fe.jpg

Nice photo Joy.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Busy day here in New Jersey, started foggy!  Both outside and in my brain.  I took cold meds through the night and they helped but left me slow and groggy this morning. Seeing the fig outside was a bit scary knowing we needed to be on the road. 

We got to the new eye doctor’s office ok. Not easy but made it. And he’s good with becoming the long term and follow-up doc for DH for post surgery in Maryland in January. So all is good!  

Did another dinner carry out early and ate it early, missed lunch, so everything is messed up.  But I’m ready to go to bed early. DH is reading all the paperwork of an offer on our condo! Yay!  And Georgia is behind Alabama in the background. Georgia seems to be making errors. 

Grandkids got aboard MSC ok today!  Happy they’ll have a fun break. DH and I need a quiet week to get well before we travel for wedding in a week and a half.  

Hoping Roy made it home ok. And continues to improve. Glad Sam continues to improve!  Best wishes for Vanessa, Debbie, Annie, Ann, Jack, Sharon…. all in need, near and far. 
Maureen 

• Like 17

7 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

@Himself Father I've looked for you  "daily" and can't catch up to you. Wanted to talk old times of your visits to Algonquin.  I am in an orange swimsuit in Lido pool in front of the bar area. Would sure love to meet ya!

20231202_115353.thumb.jpg.ff9539d1ff04e71299e33a82d82ff7fe.jpg

🌺My beautiful sister!! So happy you’re having a wonderful time!! Give Allen a hug from me!! 
Mahalo 🌺Denise ☺️

• Like 9

Just now, Seasick Sailor said:

Eek.! My sweetest sister in the whole wide world!! We are great.  Thankful. Love you Denise!!

I am reading all of your posts! I am so happy that you and Allen are doing so well!

your in the groove!!! 
that is a wonderful picture of you Joy!! It captures your spirit and your heart of caring so much for so many! You are an inspiration to those who know you!! I sure hope Father finds you!! He will miss such a treasure!

Love to you and Allen

• Like 9

1 minute ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

I am reading all of your posts! I am so happy that you and Allen are doing so well!

your in the groove!!! 
that is a wonderful picture of you Joy!! It captures your spirit and your heart of caring so much for so many! You are an inspiration to those who know you!! I sure hope Father finds you!! He will miss such a treasure!

Love to you and Allen

Denise you have been in our prayer book since the devastating news in Lahaina.  You and David gave so much in helping victims in their need, of course!

Miss and love you sister mine!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Seasick Sailor said:

Denise you have been in our prayer book since the devastating news in Lahaina.  You and David gave so much in helping victims in their need, of course!

Miss and love you sister mine!

Will be going back in January!!!! Believe it or not but the Banyan Tree in the square is thriving!!!! Such a terrible loss but we will survive and Lahaina will be rebuilt!!

PS love the food porn!!!

🥰

• Like 9