Saturday December 2nd, 2023 -- The Fleet Report and Daily

richwmn

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  All 3 days are very important - good sportsmanship, yay for bartenders - especially those on BHB's - and as we travel we see the effects of pollution everywhere.  So many beautiful waterways are filled with plastic and trash, it's just a shame.  

7:38 and it looks like midnight out there; the sun isn't going to make an appearance until 8:54 this morning.  Our weather is still chilly (-8C or 17F), and it isn't expected to get much warmer, as the high for today is only -4 (25).  Yesterday we had a brief snow shower but it was only enough to leave a slight deposit along the sides of the driveway and that's all.  Word on the street is that we could be having a brown Christmas this year, which is scary for the consequences it may bring.

Thank you for your prayers for our friend Wayne - we messaged him last night and heard that he spent the day having pokes, prods, and more tests.  They gave him the menu for the weekend, so it looks like he's still in hospital for a couple more days.  We plan on going up to see him this afternoon, as there aren't usually a whole lot of diagnostics happening on the weekend.

@StLouisCruisers congratulations to Ren for making his decision of colleges - I think it's a very good one from all accounts!

@Sharon in AZI'm happy to hear your surgery went well.

@rafinmdI hope you had a restful night and feel good on the drive home.

@JazzyVI don't know how you manage with the amount of pain you're in; you're very brave.  I hope your radiator issues are repaired quickly, and the floor as well.

@grapau27I'm so sorry to hear about your water woes - I do hope your garden will recover from all the debris flooded on it. Also hope the cold water issue is resolved today.

Not much on the agenda for today, so I think I'll get the Christmas cards out and start working on them.  I don't send out a lot any more (does anyone remember as a child, having the Christmas cards strung around the room near the ceiling?), but like to write at least a few words in each.  DH picked up another strobe type of light the other day that he wants to try to see how it looks on the front of the house - hopefully it's not too psychedelic - he tells me it's supposed to look like snowflakes . . . time will tell.

I would really like to try the drink of the day, will pass on the wine, and I have to start making room in the deep freeze for the soon-to-be-bought Christmas turkey, so will take a pass on today's roast chicken.  We'll be having perogies (2 types - cottage cheese, and sauerkraut) and baked sausages along with some vegetables at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, especially those in the midst of war zones, those in pain, and those who grieve.  Cheers to all with celebrations today.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 35
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

Contemporary cocktail:

Ingredients
2 parts Sauza® 901® Tequila
1/4 part Agave Nectar
2 dashes Orange Bitters
Garnish with Orange Peel

Instructions
Combine all ingredients in mixing glass. Stir well. Pour over ice in a rocks glass. Garnish with orange peel.

Screenshot 2023-12-02 at 6.19.42 AM.png

I prefer old fashion over contemporary!

• Like 12
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, aliaschief said:

Good morning. Massive rain and storm event this morning. Occasional thunderstorms but mainly rain.  Me thinks it’s going to be a very wet day.

We watched Candy Lane starring Eddie Murphy last night. Let’s just say it prepared us for bedtime. Some good messages for young one’s.

The big decision this morning is do I finish the coffee and go back to bed?

We are having a husband from our small group over for dinner as his wife is visiting her dear friend in Texas for a few days. I believe we are having manicotti for dinner.

Do hope Roy is doing OK on his trip home.

Thanks for the reports. Have a great day.

Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.eab3be5d824cb23608e73b99a3b37d76.jpegimage.jpeg.c3e404d55d41372cc3d0091bed0465eb.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.00cbfd9a349e05846336041aa6a47449.jpegimage.jpeg.3249e1c07f6e453cffd252bcc7acd198.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.154d8a0ae6b6de6040dc19d82d375bfd.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.2479d7f33f99c7d1b1e53de0454b29ea.jpegimage.jpeg.06a5ac17ea64898914bbf0c99f6797d7.jpeg

😀😀😀 but I do see a repeater!  Thank goodness the Christmas garland at the nurses station was not in a straight line! 

• Like 8
  • Haha 13

Good Saturday Morning Dailyites!  It is VERY foggy in Stone Mountain today.  To the point, that if I had to drive to work, I wouldn't go.  But I don't have to drive, so I start work at 9:30.  3 hours in NYC, and then 4 hours in CA.

I have figured out my new schedule, as both campaigns need 15 hours each.  Instead of splitting shifts all week I will do CA on Monday,Tuesday and split shift on Saturday, and then NYC Wednesday, Thursday and split shift on Saturday.    That way I only have to bug the  bosses twice a week to switch me, and I get Fridays off.  Nice.

Chuck studied the carry around oxygen, and will charge it, and hook me up this afternoon.  I got an oxygen monitor last night, it says I am one degree off from normal.  I dont think so, as I am extremely tired, but that could be from the coughing attacks at 1:30 each morning.

image.png.27df56a42b4f65ecdad0bf267553da50.png

• Like 30
  • Haha 6

Good morning,

It is a frosty morning with freezing fog. Tomorrow looks to be a better day. DGS holiday program was so cute last night. He was really in to it. One little boy just stood there and cried. He was not ready for all the attention. 

I am shocked how much they are cleaning up the mess from the flood Graham. I am glad your gardens are safe. 

I hope Roy is still feeling better. Travel wears people out. 

Lots of pain and suffering on our thread and around the world. This will be the first Holiday season for some of our dailyites without their loved ones. My suggestion is do what you want. It will get better. Last year people kept trying to tell me what to do and how to feel. It was really about how they were feeling not me. The worst was when they said it would be what my DH and DS would want me to do. What they would want me to do is what I felt like doing. 

The meal sounds yummy but way too much food for one. I will try it when I have the family over. 

Prayers and well wishes. Have a great day. 

• Like 35
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone. I’m happy to report that Sam is improving everyday. However I need major dental work including extractions, Perio surgery and implants requiring a sinus lift because there isn’t enough bone for the implants. The stress of the last two years has landed in my mouth and I am very nervous about all this to say nothing of the cost. I have a wonderful dentist and. Periodontist so have to put my faith in them. It will take a long time to get all of this done. I could use some prayers for healing without any complications.

Thanks.

Edited by mamaofami
  • Like 37
  • Thanks 5

26 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

@StLouisCruisers Congrats to Ren.  Great school to attend.

Thank you Melanie!

21 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  All 3 days are very important - good sportsmanship, yay for bartenders - especially those on BHB's - and as we travel we see the effects of pollution everywhere.  So many beautiful waterways are filled with plastic and trash, it's just a shame.  

7:38 and it looks like midnight out there; the sun isn't going to make an appearance until 8:54 this morning.  Our weather is still chilly (-8C or 17F), and it isn't expected to get much warmer, as the high for today is only -4 (25).  Yesterday we had a brief snow shower but it was only enough to leave a slight deposit along the sides of the driveway and that's all.  Word on the street is that we could be having a brown Christmas this year, which is scary for the consequences it may bring.

Thank you for your prayers for our friend Wayne - we messaged him last night and heard that he spent the day having pokes, prods, and more tests.  They gave him the menu for the weekend, so it looks like he's still in hospital for a couple more days.  We plan on going up to see him this afternoon, as there aren't usually a whole lot of diagnostics happening on the weekend.

@StLouisCruisers congratulations to Ren for making his decision of colleges - I think it's a very good one from all accounts!

@Sharon in AZI'm happy to hear your surgery went well.

@rafinmdI hope you had a restful night and feel good on the drive home.

@JazzyVI don't know how you manage with the amount of pain you're in; you're very brave.  I hope your radiator issues are repaired quickly, and the floor as well.

@grapau27I'm so sorry to hear about your water woes - I do hope your garden will recover from all the debris flooded on it. Also hope the cold water issue is resolved today.

Not much on the agenda for today, so I think I'll get the Christmas cards out and start working on them.  I don't send out a lot any more (does anyone remember as a child, having the Christmas cards strung around the room near the ceiling?), but like to write at least a few words in each.  DH picked up another strobe type of light the other day that he wants to try to see how it looks on the front of the house - hopefully it's not too psychedelic - he tells me it's supposed to look like snowflakes . . . time will tell.

I would really like to try the drink of the day, will pass on the wine, and I have to start making room in the deep freeze for the soon-to-be-bought Christmas turkey, so will take a pass on today's roast chicken.  We'll be having perogies (2 types - cottage cheese, and sauerkraut) and baked sausages along with some vegetables at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, especially those in the midst of war zones, those in pain, and those who grieve.  Cheers to all with celebrations today.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

Thank you for your comments about Ren's college choice.  I hope your DF Wayne is on the road to recovery (and the food is good!).  

3 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone. I’m happy to report that Sam is improving everyday. However I need major dental work including extractions, Perio surgery and implants requiring a sinus lift because there isn’t enough bone for the implants. The stress of the last two years has landed in my mouth and I am very nervous about all this to say nothing of the cost. I have a wonderful dentist and. Periodontist so have to put my faith in them. It will take a long time to get all of this done. I could use some prayers for healing without any complications.

Thanks.

Adding prayers for you as you go through the process.  Hoping for a good result with fast healing and little pain.🙏

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

I could use some prayers for healing without any complications.

Thanks.

I recently had an extraction, bone implant and sinus lift in preparation for an implant, so I can relate and feel for you. Absolutely you are in my prayers.🙏

• Like 29

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report, recipes and lists.  A mild, overcast day in store here, perfect for the South End Stroll in our neighborhood, a holiday bazaar including the shops and churches in our area.  Cheers to all of our favorite bartenders.  I’ll pass on the meal and drink today but I have to say that we had yesterday’s arctic char suggestion for dinner last evening and it was delicious, totally worth the effort to make the sauce.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list.  Cheers to those who are celebrating happy events today!

• Like 32

1 hour ago, smitty34877 said:

@dfish, Debbie, It makes me so upset that you have been waiting so long for your results and now for the surgeon to set a date. As you are well aware it is a serious situation. I do believe you are a lot more patient then I would have been under the same circumstances.

Tonight I am making a chick pea and pasta dish with the teenager doing most of the work. I had put aside  gravy(tomato sauce) that was meatless when I started a big pot of it last week. I am hoping that as a newcomer to being a vegetarian he will learn to combine protein and other ingredients healthfully. So far he remains enthusiastic and wow he sure can eat !

I plan to turn the squeaky wheel on Monday and get something set with the surgeon.  I will let them know that we are beyond the wait and see period.  I'm sure your teenager will learn very well how to combine proteins under  your tutelage.  IT is good that he is enthusiastic about preparing foods.  Maybe he can be the substitute chef in the family.   Thinking of you often and sending hugs.

43 minutes ago, Mr. Boston said:

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report, recipes and lists.  A mild, overcast day in store here, perfect for the South End Stroll in our neighborhood, a holiday bazaar including the shops and churches in our area.  Cheers to all of our favorite bartenders.  I’ll pass on the meal and drink today but I have to say that we had yesterday’s arctic char suggestion for dinner last evening and it was delicious, totally worth the effort to make the sauce.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list.  Cheers to those who are celebrating happy events today!

Thanks for the feedback on the arctic char.   It is always a big lift to get reports back like yours!

• Like 30

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

3 good days. I'll salute spirit of the game and bartenders. We should be doing more to prevent pollution. Interesting quote. I like the meal, although I don't cook a whole chicken often (if I want one I buy a rotisserie chicken at Sam's Club). Pass on the drink and the wine. I haven't been to Mindelo. 2 interesting days in history.

It's cloudy here, but warm in the 50's. After yesterday's trauma, I managed to get an hour nap in the afternoon. The mitigation guy called and said he'd come today, as he was tied up yesterday. I managed about 3.5 hours of sleep last night. The guy came this morning already - the equipment was removed from the basement, but there's still one wet area in the LR. But he did remove one fan from the LR, so it's not sounding like a jet engine today. He won't be back until Monday, then I have to call the insurance field rep to come by. Since it's nice out I may try to at least get the wreath on the door, and the 2 small trees out that go beside the door.

@grapau27 Thanks for the explanation. I hope the cleanup team has been working on your place today.

@StLouisCruisers Thanks for the Mindelo photos.

@kazu Enjoy the get together today, and I hope the rain stops. 

@Lady Hudson I hope your bits of headache and nausea are soon gone.

@Denise T I hope Chase is ok and gets any meds if he needs them.

@Heartgrove I hope you and Sue are feeling better today.

@dfish Good news that Sue is improving. 

@smitty34877 Thanks for your commiseration on the MRI; that was the worst pain ever. It's good the teenager will be cooking. Maybe he can read some information about getting complete protein, like combining beans and rice, plus your input. Continued prayers for the whole family.

@marshhawk I hope the oxygen helps you to feel better.

@mamaofami Good news that Sam is improving. I'm sorry to hear of your need for extensive dental work. Prayers that it all goes well. 

@rafinmd I hope you got a good rest last night. Safe travels on the last leg of your trip home.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for those Celebrating.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

In recognition of bartenders day, I ordered a strawberry mojito  - the mint was not muddled, only placed on top. Pretty, but not what I was expecting. From Explorations Bar on NS this afternoon. 

20231202_162630.jpg

Edited by Haljo1935
Remove pic
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 2

Good morning from a mostly sunny Quartzsite.  The sunrise this morning was beautiful with just a few clouds in the east.  It is 42F with a 2mph breeze from the SSE.  Our high will be 67F and with the sun, it should be pleasant putting up the outdoor lights this afternoon.  This morning we'll be watching the Big 12 Championship game, and pulling for the TEXAS LONGHORNS 🤘  to beat the OKLAHOMA STATE COWBOYS.  I think I'll start working on the Christmas cards during the game.

Three good days to celebrate, and one with the goal of preventing pollution.  I will salute all the hardworking bartenders on BHBs, along with the equally hardworking bar servers.

A very interesting and deep quote from Jorge Luis Borges.  I have a feeling there are some who never find out who they are.

The meal looks good, and I'll check out the recipes.  We'll pass on the drink, and even though I only like a few white wines, I might give this one a try.

We have visited Mindelo twice.  I'll look for my pictures shortly.

Two interesting days in history with the coronation of Napoleon and the discovery of Peking Man.

@Seasick Sailor  Joy, I hope you have a relaxing pool day today.  There seem to be chair hogs on every cruise.

@Lady Hudson  Katherine, I'm glad the nausea is mostly gone, but wish the headache would disappear.  I hope your doctor has some answers for you.

@Haljo1935  Unless it's difficult to get into Ponta Delgado harbor, you should make it.  There is a very nice dock in town.

@dfish  Debbie, I'm glad Sue is feeling better.  Good news you found the transformer, and I hope you find the right bulb and the new glass piece.

@smitty34877  Terry, I'm glad the teenager is helping with meal prep and cooking.

@marshhawk  Annie, your new schedule sounds manageable and lets you have a day off.  I hope the oxygen helps you feel better.

@mamaofami  Carol, that is good news that Sam is improving everyday.  I'm sorry you are having dental problems and will need extensive dental work.  Sending positive thoughts all goes smoothly and you recover quickly.

@rafinmd  Roy, I hope you have a safe drive home.  

404474076_7325953474103628_4614900544984108044_n.jpg.29f25abb02257d022cf863b2c22c295d.jpg

406065446_654714496856023_1932285491545377901_n.jpg.2f46701b18ea792ee25c5f90e94bd11d.jpg

406302058_807162111423557_7897247546669331400_n.jpg.87d81e544ca6c4a9cde15d476af48b7a.jpg

406245019_316744174639116_6634818655353760949_n.jpg.563103b837ce47fd86fa0be2190b70af.jpg

387211573_715754293931268_5849989924058843847_n.jpg.6f3caa542eaab706ef6b8bb62f26b05e.jpg

400744213_735831895256841_5104794817896035214_n.jpg.655de3fd7f35539ceb295ed612968639.jpg

Lenda

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 14

We have been to Mendillo twice, but not on a BHB.  In 2000, it was our next to last stop on the P&O world cruise on Oriana.  We rented a car and drove around the island, which is pretty dry and treeless, for the most part.  After three months of ports in the British Commonwealth, where DH drove on the wrong side of the road, I had to keep reminding him to get back on the proper side of the road.  Fortunately, there was not much traffic. We suspected the car we rented was the man's personal car.

The second visit was in 2009 on the Tahitian Princes.  That time we just walked around town.

Couple of markets.  As you can see, the fish market was not the cleanest, and there were a lot of flies, no ice and very, very fishy smelling.

IMG_7366.thumb.JPG.5c6e27f9972361204a4e12a7bdea2c27.JPG

IMG_7372.thumb.JPG.83284bcd3652a72d55a1f219775ec64e.JPG

IMG_7377.thumb.JPG.b08dbb3486b41308a53218b3af287f8c.JPG

A mix of street scenes from our two visits.

IMG_7368.thumb.JPG.7729f9105f2639acc96b6871c56acdd3.JPG

P3300745.thumb.JPG.85dfa2ab6b6d6ddfd50ddf0f318b155e.JPG

P3300744.thumb.JPG.7caa49af8d10819864b3a363f46447a8.JPG

P3300779.thumb.JPG.78132c3bc33c008c836f242a911528dd.JPG

A few pictures from around the island.

P3300756.thumb.JPG.bc510deca04435e106c65057949604d1.JPG

P3300758.thumb.JPG.bfc01074f89f228f44fde8bacc2c2426.JPG

P3300759.thumb.JPG.7b61bb3bb2d172c56e64f5eeb73cddab.JPG

P3300751.thumb.JPG.1725ebbd62ecafb4578b393add8ee189.JPG

One of the locals

P3300768.thumb.JPG.d7b2b5633281d40b7299e9349b4fca8b.JPG

The airport

P3300771.thumb.JPG.ef76376ecef55b79369ce104f6cc654e.JPG

Lenda

• Like 26
  • Thanks 5

3 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

...This morning we'll be watching the Big 12 Championship game, and pulling for the TEXAS LONGHORNS 🤘  to beat the OKLAHOMA STATE COWBOYS...

@Haljo1935  Unless it's difficult to get into Ponta Delgado harbor, you should make it.  There is a very nice dock in town...

Thank you for the positive feedback  - we're crossing fingers, toes and everything we can as we really hope to dock.

Hook 'em Horns!!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

3 good days. I'll salute spirit of the game and bartenders. We should be doing more to prevent pollution. Interesting quote. I like the meal, although I don't cook a whole chicken often (if I want one I buy a rotisserie chicken at Sam's Club). Pass on the drink and the wine. I haven't been to Mindelo. 2 interesting days in history.

It's cloudy here, but warm in the 50's. After yesterday's trauma, I managed to get an hour nap in the afternoon. The mitigation guy called and said he'd come today, as he was tied up yesterday. I managed about 3.5 hours of sleep last night. The guy came this morning already - the equipment was removed from the basement, but there's still one wet area in the LR. But he did remove one fan from the LR, so it's not sounding like a jet engine today. He won't be back until Monday, then I have to call the insurance field rep to come by. Since it's nice out I may try to at least get the wreath on the door, and the 2 small trees out that go beside the door.

@grapau27 Thanks for the explanation. I hope the cleanup team has been working on your place today.

@StLouisCruisers Thanks for the Mindelo photos.

@kazu Enjoy the get together today, and I hope the rain stops. 

@Lady Hudson I hope your bits of headache and nausea are soon gone.

@Denise T I hope Chase is ok and gets any meds if he needs them.

@Heartgrove I hope you and Sue are feeling better today.

@dfish Good news that Sue is improving. 

@smitty34877 Thanks for your commiseration on the MRI; that was the worst pain ever. It's good the teenager will be cooking. Maybe he can read some information about getting complete protein, like combining beans and rice, plus your input. Continued prayers for the whole family.

@marshhawk I hope the oxygen helps you to feel better.

@mamaofami Good news that Sam is improving. I'm sorry to hear of your need for extensive dental work. Prayers that it all goes well. 

@rafinmd I hope you got a good rest last night. Safe travels on the last leg of your trip home.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for those Celebrating.

Thank you Vanessa.

It is 0°C here now but no workmen turned up today so probably Monday before anything is done.

The path in our cul de sac is closed with a 5 foot wide and deep hole still where the water leak was yesterday.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 5

Good morning. Cold here and we did get about another inch of snow over night. Now the sun is out and we are supposed to be warming up. I need to go clear the car off shortly but will let the sun do its thing first. Otherwise it will be a very quiet day as I continue to the sort on the back bedroom. And probably another thrift store run. And I need to revise my to-do lists. They seem to be getting longer, not shorter.

Hope everyone is feeling better. Roy reports he is waiting for his car. I know he will be glad to get home to the familiar and comfortable.

Take care all.

Susan

• Like 26

Good morning all!

More rain, and mid-high 40's F today.  I was awakened at 5 this morning by a deafening downpour on our roof.  It really sounded like it was battering the house.  Then it stopped as quickly as it started.  Strange weather!

Three good days, I salute the hardworking bartenders everywhere and especially on BHBs.  I would like the meal, drink and wine (love Viognier).  But tonight I think we'll have tacos.  We've had chicken a lot this week.  

Both DH and I are having minimal effects after getting our 7th (!!) Covid booster yesterday.  Even our arms aren't very sore.  

Today I'll be getting the Christmas cards in the mail, and continue to work on packing.  Oh, and some laundry and housework sometime today 😉  

Prayers for all who are hurting and big cheers for all who are celebrating!

• Like 31

10 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

We were told a rumor this week that Rudi's will be replaced by Chef Morimoto inspired cuisine. Apparently kirkc said he verified it. Chef Morimoto lobster was excellent the other night and I will gladly pay the $25 again tonight!

20231129_174316.thumb.jpg.ac575fa18c27c487b0bbc4f720ea628c.jpg

I was just told the Amsterdam was the guinea pig. The officer didn't know about us (Rotterdam) as yet.. rumors rumors.. don't knife me if the rumor is incorrect!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 7