Saturday December 2nd, 2023 -- The Fleet Report and Daily

richwmn

Today is International Spirit of the Game Day, National Bartender Day, and World Pollution Prevention Day

Any life is made up of a single moment, the moment in which a man finds out, once and for all, who he is. - Jorge Luis Borges

Meal Suggestion for today - Dutch Oven Whole Roast Chicken
Drink of the Day - Contemporary
Wine of the Day - 2018 Miner Paso Robles Viognier
Destination of the Day - Mindelo, Cape Verde Islands Sao Vicente Isl.

Today in History:
1804 General Napoleon Bonaparte is crowned Emperor of the French at the Notre Dame de Paris in a ceremony officiated by Pope Pius VII
1929 First skull of Peking man found in the caves of Zhoukoudian, 50 km outside of Peking, China. Later dated roughly 750,000 years old.

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Ocho Rios, Jamaica 07:00 - 16:00

Koningsdam

Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico Riviera 08:00 - 17:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida 7:00-15:00

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Ponta Delgada, Sao Miguel Island Azores Portugal eta 12-03

Oosterdam

San Antonio, Chile 07:00 - 17:00

Rotterdam

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas 07:00 - 15:00

Volendam

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii Island 08:00 - 18:00

Zaandam

Santarem, Brazil Amazon 10:00 - 18:00

Zuiderdam

Luanda, Angola 07:00 - 17:00

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Fiordland National Park, New Zealand

Westerdam

Lembar, Indonesia

1202World.thumb.png.1295d504be4ea7e613d35a2011bcfee2.png

• Like 26
  • Thanks 16

Today’s Care List:

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-surgery, weaning CPAP

Ger_77’s friend Wayne hospitalized with heart issues

Superoma’s good friend Dena hospitalized with a foot infection

Heartgrove and DW Sue recovering from Covid

JazzyV with right leg pain, tingling and numbness

RIP Sandra Day O'Connor

Recovery from Wildfires in Maui, Canadian/US wildfires

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Crusing-along’s niece Jeannine with MS recurrence

StLouisCruiser’s DB with pulmonary fibrosis

57redbird getting a date for spinal fusion 

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Cruising sister’s g-niece Murphy extubated, weaning CPAP & photo shared!

Rafinmd released from the hospital, making his way home

Cruising-along with good report from the Nephrologist

StLouisCruiser’s DGS Ren choosing Notre Dame for college

RMLincoln now at her new home/community in NJ

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

1 day for RedNeckBob (Celebrity Reflection Dec 3 to Dec 17, B@B, Bimini, Grand Cayman & Mexico/ABC Islands)

Norseh2o (Oceania Marina to Dec 3, B2B, Barcelona to Lisbon, Lisbon to Miami), Himself(Rotterdam to Dec 3, Southern Caribbean Seafarer), Niagarawine (Rotterdam to Dec 3, Southern Caribbean Seafarer),  Nickelpenny (Volendam to Dec 10, Circle Hawaii), Av8rix (Koningsdam to Jan 6, 10n Mexican Riviera & Sea of Cortez + 11n Mexican Riviera & Sea of Cortez + 5n Mexico + 16n Circle Hawaii Holiday), Haljo1935 (Nieuw Statendam to Dec 10, Passage to America) and Seasick Sailor (Rotterdam to Jan 14, 51d B2B2B2B2B Southern Caribbean/PC Sunfarer (21n) + Eastern/Western Caribbean (14n) + Tropical/Southern Caribbean Seafarer (16n))

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 15

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

A bit of snow falling at the moment, it should end soon and be a cloudy day.  Today's high is 2°C (36°F).  I hope to do some holiday baking today, my official taster is looking forward to doing his duty.

A good collection of days.

I like the quote.

The meal sounds good, but we had roast chicken for dinner last night, so I'll need to find something else to make for tonight.  I'm sure the drink and wine will be tasty too.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a wonderful day.   Stay safe.

• Like 30

Contemporary cocktail:

Ingredients
2 parts Sauza® 901® Tequila
1/4 part Agave Nectar
2 dashes Orange Bitters
Garnish with Orange Peel

Instructions
Combine all ingredients in mixing glass. Stir well. Pour over ice in a rocks glass. Garnish with orange peel.

Screenshot 2023-12-02 at 6.19.42 AM.png

• Like 18
  • Thanks 14

Good morning.

It is currently -2°C at 11.52am.

Thank you for today's daily reports Rich.

3 interesting days and a thought provoking quote.

Today's meal sounds tasty.

I hope everyone is safe and well and hopefully everyone who is on the care list are improving.

Best wishes for a great day for all Dailyites.

Screenshot_20231202_114705.jpg

Screenshot_20231202_114724.jpg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 12

Good morning friends!  It's a lot warmer this morning at 61F but we will have rain most of the time with a high of 65.  The rain hasn't been heavy so far but we could see a period of heavy rain sometime today.

Thanks Rich @richwmn for the Fleet Report and Daily.  As for the days to celebrate, hooray for bartenders!  It's a good day for International Spirit of the Game Day with all the huge sporting events happening today especially in college sports.  It would be nice if the polluters in this world would be held responsible for it.  They know who they are.  The quote is deep, especially for this early in the morning.  The Dutch Oven Whole Roast Chicken dish sounds great!  No idea what the drink and wine are but probably would pass on them.  Interesting about Napoleon Bonaparte in 1804.  That was an amazing and important archeological find in China in 1929.  Thank you Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope,  and Ann @cat shepard for the food and beverage reports each day.

Prayers said as I walked the treadmill this morning.  Lots of time to focus on those of us here on the Daily with health problems and painful conditions.  Hoping the prayers help all of you improve or find solutions to your health issues.  Special mentions for Vanessa, Tana, and Baby Murphy.  Also prayers for our family members listed on the Care list, including my own DB and my friends Scott and Bob and their caretaker wives.❤️  Continuing thoughts and prayers to those in Israel and Ukraine at war, and for all the remaining hostages to come home. 🙏  On the celebration list, hurray that Roy is nearly home. 🎉 Hope you got some rest last night Roy and have a safe drive home.  May all the celebrations of birthdays and anniversaries be blessed and enjoyed. 🥂 And to the cruisers, fair winds and smooth seas!  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for continuing your work on the Daily lists.  Praying that you had a decent night and that all your troubles are soon over.

Our port this morning is Mindelo, Cape Verde Islands (Sao Vicente Island).  This was a past port of the day on May 3, 2021 and Sept. 3, 2022.  We were there once before and enjoyed our look around the city of Mindelo.  My early 2021 photos have disappeared from the post I made but I will bring them back and post again next.  Here are the links to the former dates for your convenience in retrieving your photos.

Hope you all have a great Saturday, even if it's raining or snowing where you are.  Stay safe and well.  Good luck to the Fighting Irish men's soccer team today.  And Go Blue!🏈

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

Good morning Daily-ites 

We have arrived in HMC aboard the beautiful Rotterdam.

We decided not to go ashore. We have 4 more opportunities before disembarking. I think a pool day may be in order. Speaking of.. lot's of chair hogs at the pool. I saw a guy put 5 towels out with the clips on chairs in the morning and still didn't see his chairs used after lunch. 

Sandi I bet Ren would enjoy today's activity called "Soccer shootout on the island" I'm still so excited for him!

I wish you a blessed day and weekend.

• Like 30

Good morning. Massive rain and storm event this morning. Occasional thunderstorms but mainly rain.  Me thinks it’s going to be a very wet day.

We watched Candy Lane starring Eddie Murphy last night. Let’s just say it prepared us for bedtime. Some good messages for young one’s.

The big decision this morning is do I finish the coffee and go back to bed?

We are having a husband from our small group over for dinner as his wife is visiting her dear friend in Texas for a few days. I believe we are having manicotti for dinner.

Do hope Roy is doing OK on his trip home.

Thanks for the reports. Have a great day.

Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.eab3be5d824cb23608e73b99a3b37d76.jpegimage.jpeg.c3e404d55d41372cc3d0091bed0465eb.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.00cbfd9a349e05846336041aa6a47449.jpegimage.jpeg.3249e1c07f6e453cffd252bcc7acd198.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.154d8a0ae6b6de6040dc19d82d375bfd.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.2479d7f33f99c7d1b1e53de0454b29ea.jpegimage.jpeg.06a5ac17ea64898914bbf0c99f6797d7.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Haha 25

19 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Contemporary cocktail:

Ingredients
2 parts Sauza® 901® Tequila
1/4 part Agave Nectar
2 dashes Orange Bitters
Garnish with Orange Peel

Instructions
Combine all ingredients in mixing glass. Stir well. Pour over ice in a rocks glass. Garnish with orange peel.

Screenshot 2023-12-02 at 6.19.42 AM.png

Dixie, now this is a cocktail I would enjoy. I just wrote the recipe down to take to Jun.

Edited by Seasick Sailor
Misspell
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Mindelo, Cape Verde Islands was an overnight stop on our 2018 Grand Africa and Mediterranean voyage on Prinsendam.  On the island of Sao Vicente, the city of Mindelo was the Prinsendam's stop in the Cape Verde Island on March 22 and 23, 2018.  We were able to dock there, and then there were small shuttle vans that would drive us to the downtown area from the dock area. 

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

We were dropped off on the road running along the beach.

Nearby was a replica of Lisbon's Tower of Belem.

First a stop at the market

Then you could watch these locals carry goods home on their heads!  Real talent!

The lady on the right could make some out-of-this world salads I bet.  The one on the left has eggs on her head!

We also saw a fish market, and the main church in town.

I believe this was a government office.

This pink building called the Palacio do Presidente was once home to the island's governor.

There was a small park a block or so off the beach road, and it was called Praca Nova which means New Square.  It seemed to be a gathering place and we used it to take a rest before heading back to the ship that day.

Will continue in next post.

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 31
  • Thanks 6

More park photos.

I have a photo of this spot in the park but I'm not sure what its purpose is.  Tourist info?  Selling Coca-Cola?

Time to catch our ride back to the ship.  There she is way off in the distance in the center of this photo.

The day after, we left Mindelo we were supposed to tender into Praia, Ilha de Santiago in the Cape Verde Islands, but the weather didn't cooperate and we headed towards Banjul, The Gambia arriving there a day early.

This is as much as I could see of Praia.

Next time!

• Like 31
  • Thanks 5

18 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Daily-ites 

We have arrived in HMC aboard the beautiful Rotterdam.

We decided not to go ashore. We have 4 more opportunities before disembarking. I think a pool day may be in order. Speaking of.. lot's of chair hogs at the pool. I saw a guy put 5 towels out with the clips on chairs in the morning and still didn't see his chairs used after lunch. 

Sandi I bet Ren would enjoy today's activity called "Soccer shootout on the island" I'm still so excited for him!

I wish you a blessed day and weekend.

Joy, it would be good practice!  Maybe he could practice his left and right foot penalty kicks.

I hope you enjoy your pool day and the serenity of having most passengers at HMC.

• Like 26

Thanks for our Saturday Daily, Rich

& thanks to Ann, Vanessa, Dixie & Debbie

Great collection of days.  I am sure many of us are happy to celebrate bartender day - especially on a BHB 😉. World pollution prevention is desperately needed and should be practiced every day.  Two monumental days in history, indeed.

Love the quote by Borges - a tremendous Argentinian writer who earned his prominent place in not just the Spanish language but internationally.  The meal sounds tempting and oh my, do I see a WHITE wine on today’s wine?  I am pretty sure that Viognier is white 🤞 

IMG_1258.jpeg.e5b8f76590c07c90488d8c02341b6bcc.jpeg

It’s a rare moment in time - I actually have a social life this afternoon.  A pre-Christmas get together of the neighbourhood ladies which is always nice.  I’m prepping a charcuterie board to take to try to alleviate some work for our hostess 🤞. Sadly it is pouring rain and most likely will be at the time I go.  I can’t very well manage a charcuterie board, remaining fixings, gift & umbrella in the rain.  Hoping it lets up so I don’t have to take the SUV a few houses away.  Sheesh.

IMG_1265.thumb.jpeg.cf302316c5eeca4b7c859d2f8cdc03b9.jpeg

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, health issues, pain, worries & those that need them 🙏. Cheers to those celebrating and cruising 🥂 

IMG_1268.thumb.jpeg.a64b65c3e95c771dc4fb0fcd3fd54deb.jpeg

Have a great Saturday everyone.

• Like 35
  • Haha 7

Good Morning, thanks for today’s daily fleet report.  Today looks to be a nice day. Today’s errands includes a trip to a clothing store since they sent me a $10 coupon off a $10 purchase, then a trip to PetSmart and Aldi.  Today’s meal suggestion is a staple in our house but not this weekend.  Today I’m making a beef roast and tomorrow we are having turkey since we didn’t have turkey last week.  Overnight I received my boarding time for our cruise, 11:20.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

2017 Puerto Vallarta 

2098F149-B402-48BD-AD96-71058BB117B6.thumb.jpeg.87a9045d4185f971ca0c5f917aac4c29.jpeg

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich! Yesterday temps were a much more seasonal 78. Today will be cloudy, but the temp will be about the same. 

Most of us do not need a visual for Pollution Prevention Day, but just in case…

IMG_1877.jpeg.0d4b9255a4c16d892d9bb32305fa90c5.jpeg

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with us. Praying for an end to your pain. 

Off to an early gym class, Bindi walks, chores and then wrapping up the day at a friend’s for dinner. 

IMG_2079.jpeg.3f1f702389f6db4a8cf5039e2ec10ff6.jpeg

IMG_2115.jpeg.2829ec7cd65ecf38ac5b8caf29a67c14.jpeg

IMG_1957.jpeg.6095c4632574d276b771d8ee981bbe4e.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Especially those dealing with debilitating pain and conditions. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating. @rafinmd Roy, I was happy to read that you were safely on the train. Hope the rest of your trip home is uneventful. 

May we each find a reason to smile today!

2018 Miner Paso Robles Viognier

This Paso Robles Viognier has lots of consumer fans. @kazu Yes Jacqui, it is a white wine! It sounds lovely, and I would love a taste. Widely available with prices starting at $18.99.

Winemaker Notes

Aromatically complex with citrus and honeysuckle notes on the nose and a plush feel on the palate, this Viognier consistently displays a fine balance of neutral acidity and intense concentration. This quintessential food wine was whole cluster pressed and stainless steel fermented to allow the vibrant, tropical and stone fruit characteristics of this varietal to shine.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 10

Good morning.  It seems like quite a few on this thread need prayer.  I will keep all of you in my prayers.

Glad to hear Roy is getting closer to home.  There is nothing more comforting than one’s own home.

I have been in constant contact with my doctor since my overnight stay in the hospital last Saturday night.  Nausea mostly gone but still having bits of headache.  I will continue to monitor and contact Dr as needed.

I am going to try to put up some decorations today.  This is very late for me to get started.

Have a great weekend.  Katherine 

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Good Saturday morning. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Very foggy today. Going up to 57 today. The plan is to put up the Christmas tree and outdoor lights. Taking Chase to the vet due to a possible ear infection. Then a relaxing rest of the day. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

image.png.4cbb320e07576ba793226cb2a0715bf5.png

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

All good days, yes on the meal and maybe on the drink and wine, not been to the port. Important historical days.

Shoulder is still screaming although I am doing PT exercises when possible. I see the surgeon again when I get back - we'll see what he says.  

I think I may have posted the sunrise pictures on yesterday's thread, so apologies if you saw them already. 

Currently closing the gap on Ponta Delgado with more water behind us than ahead. Circulating on the bus a couple days ago, was a rumor we weren't stopping at Ponta Delgada. This morning at GS, though, a manager handed the crew member a disembarkation  acknowledgement form he needs a passenger to sign. It clearly had Ponta Delgado as the place and Sunday (tomorrow) as the date. So unless something changes drastically before then, I anticipate we'll make our port in PD. Yippee!!😏

Sunrise east of Ponta Delgada Portugal as seen from my deck.20231202_085356.thumb.jpg.61d568920586e86eb895e4c3a5247cef.jpg20231202_085343.thumb.jpg.cf7c7d5c836d7e5a819a711f08b760d5.jpg20231202_085340.thumb.jpg.b13e071928926fa1e161f36f75d2dc40.jpg20231202_085335.thumb.jpg.542ebb7d9870251b819bb95a97896a67.jpg20231202_085332.thumb.jpg.3e0afb5e30b73bb9cfe2033cb98f6af6.jpg20231202_085328.thumb.jpg.c23128ccd01723d8ede0fafa2d4b7648.jpg20231202_085323.thumb.jpg.9d9db7787dc43319fb892c02b582397f.jpg

• Like 35
  • Thanks 8

Good morning, everyone!

@Cruzin Terri I hope you have a safe trip home.

@rafinmd The same to  you!

I have a Zoom meeting this morning at 9 am, so I have to make this quick.  I did manage to find the transformer I need for the under cabinet lighting and ordered two.  Now, I just have to find a light bulb that fits properly and a new glass piece for one of the lights.  Sue is continuing to improve and managed to stay up until bedtime last night.  She is sleeping in this morning and that is a good sign as she has spent most of the night on the couch the past two nights due to coughing.  She needed to sleep sitting up.

Today's meal sounds like an easy and tasty one to make.  We just finished off the turkey leftovers, so it will be a few days before we want chicken.  Most of the recipes I found are very similar and only differ in a seasoning or two.  https://cookingformysoul.com/dutch-oven-whole-roast-chicken/

roastchicken1.thumb.jpg.b1e614cc324d41910b7b8120c66fc771.jpg

This one from the Pioneer Woman looked good.  https://www.thepioneerwoman.com/food-cooking/recipes/a41169696/dutch-oven-roast-chicken-recipe/

roastchicken3.thumb.jpg.0a5122895d633d7d7479a09280a70ac4.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 12

Good morning. We were encased in fog earlier and it will get up to possibly sixty later. We had a wild thunderstorm in the middle of the night that lit up the sky. Shout outs for all three days and the Borge’s quote. I wonder if using the Dutch oven keeps the splatters contained….I will investigate. I would love to visit the Cape Verde Islands and thank Sandi @StLouisCruisers for the pictures.

I was glad to see that @Sharon in AZ  got a good report from the doctor. It has to be difficult to have each eye responding differently. Best wishes for the second operation to come.

@JazzyV  Vanessa, oh my that MRI position had to be excruciating. I don’t know how you did it. I had to talk myself down off the ledge when having an MRI last year the same way you did and it seemed as if time stood still. I sure hope you get the results soon and something can be done.

@dfish, Debbie, It makes me so upset that you have been waiting so long for your results and now for the surgeon to set a date. As you are well aware it is a serious situation. I do believe you are a lot more patient then I would have been under the same circumstances.

Tonight I am making a chick pea and pasta dish with the teenager doing most of the work. I had put aside  gravy(tomato sauce) that was meatless when I started a big pot of it last week. I am hoping that as a newcomer to being a vegetarian he will learn to combine protein and other ingredients healthfully. So far he remains enthusiastic and wow he sure can eat !

Enjoy the day today.

• Like 35