Tuesday December 5th, 2023 -- The Fleet Report and Daily

richwmn

Today is International Ninja Day, International Volunteer Day, and National Blue Jeans Day

The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are. - Joseph Campbell

Meal Suggestion for today - 20-Minute One Pot Lentils
Drink of the Day - Cruzan Banana Split
Wine of the Day - Mila Albariño
Destination of the Day - Port Louis, Mauritius Island

Today in History:
1848 US President James K. Polk triggers gold rush of 1849 by confirming a gold discovery in California
1933 Prohibition ends in the US when 21st Amendment to the US Constitution ratified, 18th Amendment repealed (5:32 PM EST)
1969 Four-node ARPANET network is established

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Belize City 08:00 - 17:00

Koningsdam

San Diego, California 07:00 ,15:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Freeport, Bahamas

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida eta 12-10

Oosterdam

Puerto Montt, Chile 11:00 - 19:00

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Willemstad Curacao, Netherlands Antilles eta 12-07

Volendam

At Sea Destination Ensenada, Baja California Mexico eta 12-09

Zaandam

Manaus, Brazil

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Takoradi, Ghana eta 12-06

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Melbourne, Victoria Australia 08:00 - 17:00

Westerdam

Semarang, Java Indonesia 11:00 - 18:00

1205World.thumb.png.c83048d70d08b0409a1537b2409347f3.png

• Like 24
  • Thanks 20

Good morning Dailyites and thank you for the Daily Report!

My interview went well yesterday, timewise, I was the first of several more as I imagine it will be a while before I know if I have made it to the second round.

Starting to get some of the small items sorted out for our cruise. I printed our boarding pass and put the luggage tags in plastic holders. We will drive on December 16 to Florida and spend some time with my uncle and cousin whom we have not seen since doing this in March. Then get up early on Sunday morning, get on the turnpike and drive to Port Everglades. Will keep my toes crossed that entire drive we can get a parking spot in the Palm Garage in the port. If nothing is available, we will probably park at the airport and take a taxi to the port.     

I hope everyone has a wonderful day!

20231103_074136.jpg

Edited by seagarsmoker
  • Like 36
  • Thanks 6

Good morning. Christmas cards for work were distributed and mailed yesterday. Family and friends cards will be mailed this week. 

Yesterday was my last day in the office. I’ll work from home through Thurs. I took Fri off to get all the last minute things done before vacation. Hair appt today, nails on Thurs. And I still need to pack. 

I thought I would need to leave the house at 2:30am to go to the airport but since it’s Sat I think 3am will be fine. Which makes DH happy but he’ll still prob be too tired to go for his Sat morning bike ride. 

Thank you all for caring and sharing.  Prayers for everyone who needs them.  Cheers for all the celebrations. Stay safe and healthy everyone. 🙂

• Like 34

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Another wintery day here, snow flurries in the forecast.  I've some more cookie baking to do.

Not sure about Ninja Day, volunteering is important, I wear blue jeans a lot.

I like the quote.

I'll pass on the meal, not sure about the drink or wine.

Prayers for everyone.

Have a wonderful day.  Stay safe.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 2

Cruzan Banana Split cocktail:

Ingredients
1 part Cruzan® Banana Rum
1 part Cruzan® Vanilla Rum
1 part Cruzan® Strawberry Rum
6 parts Pineapple Juice
1 part Cream of Coconut

Instructions
Combine ingredients in a glass and serve over ice.

Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 6.47.52 AM.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 16

Today’s Care List:

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-surgery, weaning CPAP

Superoma’s good friend Dena hospitalized with a foot pain, ?vasculitis

JazzyV with right leg pain, tingling and numbness

Rafinmd recovering from hospitalization

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Mamaofami’s upcoming extensive dental work

Crusing-along’s niece Jeannine with MS recurrence

Tana’s pulmonary issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Bon Voyage GTVCRUISER!

Cruising sister’s g-niece Murphy extubated, weaning CPAP & photo shared!

Heartgrove and DW Sue finally feeling much better after Covid

Ger_77’s friend Wayne responding to cardioversion

Cruising sister’s hand healing and DB’s foot healing well

RMLincoln now at her new home/community in NJ

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

5 days for LAFFNVEGAS (Nieuw Statendam Dec 10 to Dec 17) E. Caribbean

5 days for Dobiemom (Nieuw Statendam Dec 10 to Dec 17) E. Caribbean

5 days for POA1 (Nieuw Statendam Dec 10 to Dec 17) Eastern Caribbean

5 days for Lindaler (Volendam Dec 10 to April 6, B2B) 24d Historical Baja Peninsula & Sea of Cortez Holiday + Jan 3 94d Grand Australia & NZ voyage- 

Nickelpenny (Volendam to Dec 10, Circle Hawaii), Av8rix (Koningsdam to Jan 6, 11n Mexican Riviera & Sea of Cortez + 5n Mexico + 16n Circle Hawaii Holiday), Haljo1935 (Nieuw Statendam to Dec 10, Passage to America), GTVCRUISER (Koningsdam to Dec 16) Mexican Riviera & Sea of Cortez, RedNeckBob (Celebrity Reflection to Dec 17, B2B, Bimini, Grand Cayman & Mexico/ABC Islands) and Seasick Sailor (Rotterdam to Jan 14, 51d B2B2B2B PC Sunfarer + Eastern/Western Caribbean (14n) + Tropical/Southern Caribbean Seafarer (16n))

• Like 27
  • Thanks 16

Good morning friends!  A cold morning with a temp of 39F.  High will be 59 and lots of sunshine. 🌞  Thanks go to Rich @richwmn for the Fleet Report and Daily!

Let's start the topics with International Ninja Day.  Somehow this doesn't have a place in my life, but I do appreciate volunteers as I was a regular at the children's schools.  I also wear jeans a lot but not at home.  Comfort is key!  I don't know that I'd like the lentils that much.  I think I'll pass on the drink and wine today. 🍷 Lots happening in the past on Dec. 5.  Interesting how the Gold Rush started, but prohibition ending was no doubt the biggest event during that time. 🍺  I am guessing ARPANET is computer related.  Thanks to our F&B department Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope,  and Ann @cat shepard for keeping up with the descriptions each day.

Prayers said for our CC Daily Care list.  Wishing you all improved health and pain relief.  Good news about surgeries scheduled and tests done.  Prayers also for the people of Israel and Ukraine, as well as return of hostages.  Special prayers for DB, Scott and Bob and their caretakers wives.  Cheers to those on the Celebration list celebrating birthdays, anniversaries and cruises.  🚢 I hope the MLS Next Fest soccer players have an enjoyable week in Phoenix. Thanks to Vanessa @JazzyV for the list keeping while suffering from excruciating pain.  Prayers offered up especially for you Vanessa.

The destination today is Port Louis, Mauritius.  This port was listed here on Dec. 14, 2021 and Nov. 28, 2022 so I'll post the links below.  We did not visit Port Louis in the past.  It may have been on the itinerary on one of the cancelled Grand Africa cruises we never made.

Hope you all stay safe and well.  Have a great day!

• Like 29
  • Thanks 5

Good afternoon.

It is partly sunny and 46°F here.

Thank you for today's daily reports and Daily Rich.

Neither Pauline or I possess any Denim clothes.

Volunteers are wonderful to give up their time and do things for nothing.

Interesting quote.

I will give today's food and drink a miss.

I hope everyone is well and y'all have a peaceful pain free day.

Screenshot_20231205_115006.jpg

• Like 30
  • Thanks 3

Good Tuesday Morning Dailyites!  Up very early as DH has appointment and tests with the heart doc.

We moved the bed yesterday to block Tazi from going behind it and piddling (OMG!), We lowered the back headboard, and apparently didn't put the bed back in exactly old place, as I jammed my right baby toe on it in the middle of the night.

Currently 37 degrees, it says clear...too dark and cold to check right now.

I love the quote (makes me want to improve my behavior).

image.thumb.png.65d6bbc23bf530429ca41badc70a9a9d.png

@grapau27I was fascinated by the way the water company handled the leak and clean up.  In the county I live in, if there is a water leak, the water company comes out, digs it up, sort of fixes the problem, and then instead of filling the hole, they put a large metal plate over the hole.  People hate toi drive over the plate, as sometimes the plates shift.  Days can go by, even months, until they come out and fill in the hole, and take away the large metal plate.  By then, because the pipes have been exposed to all the elements again, they usually have to work on the pipes again.

This picture shows our type of repair, but not my neighborhood.  Does anyone else have this problem too?  Or is it a Georgia thing?

image.thumb.png.6f09c8db667d5b8f995d99cd1448d6a8.png

• Like 25
  • Thanks 5

ARPANET
5 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I am guessing ARPANET is computer related

The Advanced Research Projects Agency Network was the first wide-area packet-switched network with distributed control and one of the first computer networks to implement the TCP/IP protocol suite. Both technologies became the technical foundation of the Internet. Wikipedia

• Like 14
  • Thanks 16

Good morning Daily-ites 

Yesterday I hopped on a tender and spent an hour walking around the beach and shops on Half Moon Cay. 

20231204_110602.thumb.jpg.319c3aa7da4eb5a533227218b06052f0.jpg

Morning sunrise on day 12 from the beautiful Rotterdam. 

20231205_062442.thumb.jpg.4d30d6e8f965e8d296ed8dd8f421cd39.jpg

Last night we had our first tree lighting ceremony and it was well attended.

20231204_191818.thumb.jpg.79f6892dd811f57c96bc4f0042c9360c.jpg

We will have another on the 16th or 17th after we turnaround in FLL. 

We were not very hungry, so skipped MDR and I hopped in and out of the pool til we shared a Dive In burger and had a few cocktails.

The next 2 days are sea days before venturing back to Williamstad on Dec 7th.

We attended the Caribbean trivia game last week, it wouldn't be fair to attend again, so looks like pool time til the Afternoon Tea.

Tonight is dressy night, 👗  I'll check the MDR menu for tonight at breakfast.

I'm prayerfully thinking of all in struggle and strife. Hoping our friends Tana, Murphy, Roy, Vanessa, Annie, Sandi's family and friends, and all others on Vanessa's well maintained list.

Have a Blessed day!

• Like 32
  • Thanks 4

Happy Tuesday. Thank you for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Chilly day today but should get some sun. Fancy will like that, the sun part, not the chilly part. 

Planning a family holiday get together next week. My niece is joining us, and she is vegan. I will be able to make over some of my recipes, just need a few ideas for a main dish for her as the rest of us are having turkey. 

Working from home today. I am meeting with my social media manager to devise our 2024 plans. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

image.png.30273334f49f97661d68b2b30858db96.png

• Like 28
  • Haha 4

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and Dixie.  I'll celebrate National Volunteer Day, and all today's history events but pass on the Ninja and blue jeans.

I like the Campbell quote.  I visited Port Louis in 2014 on Crystal Serenity and think I was due back there in 2020 on Queen Mary 2.

I think I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Chilled Rhubarb Soup, New York Strip Loin, and Mango Blueberry Crisp as served on MS Prinsendam December 5, 2023.

A very chilly morning in Maryland.  Expect to wear the winter coat.

Roy

• Like 36
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for our Tuesday Daily, Rich

& thanks Dixie, Vanessa, Ann & Debbie.

Good collection of days especially Volunteer Day.  They are invaluable to our communities.  I wear jeans but not blue ones.  So I guess I have to wait for black jean day to celebrate LOL 😉  I like the Campbell quote.  Pretty sure a number of us would happily celebrate the date prohibition was repealed 😉    

IMG_1765.thumb.jpeg.a1a2243f3c7c41403a225038f793a57d.jpeg

Feeling a little weary from yesterday’s snow.  It was some heavy.  I did have some help, thankfully and Ivan has a path now in the back yard but I’m still feeling it.  He needs that path - he acts like he hasn’t seen snow before.  Very strange.  We’re definitely going to have a White Christmas.

IMG_1277.jpeg.aba2bfe77fd05ee0e8cf87cce355ed78.jpeg

Ivan’s vet visit and injection is today so I best get our morning routine completed and prep for the ‘fun’.  

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, health problems, pain, worries & those that need them 🙏. Cheers to those celebrating and cruising 🥂 

IMG_1275.thumb.jpeg.84205da0462a79ddc078f76e1c73feea.jpeg

Have a good Tuesday everyone.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 8

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich! It is quite a bit cooler this morning, but the humidity is gone. Looks to be a beautiful day. 

Vanessa, thank you for explaining about the MRI, and I was happy to read that you are making purchases that will help you function a bit more easily. Praying that the MRI results help find a solution to your pain.

Gym, Bindi walks, chores, and a visit to my local wine bar to pick up the wine I ordered at last month’s wine tasting. I might have to pick up another bottle of that amazing Pinotage.

IMG_2110.jpeg.8cb3433432d88a48d22841e7597de48d.jpeg

IMG_2094.jpeg.9d6972ff152464ed98587adb260d9762.jpeg

IMG_2132.jpeg.411170cb6187b9619f861c58221c6332.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Especially those suffering from debilitating pain and conditions.  @smitty34877Thinking of you & Tana, Terry. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating! So happy to read that long awaited surgeries are scheduled! May they bring the needed results.

@rafinmd Roy, glad to read that you are getting back into your routine. I hope you find a way to continue to cruise, since you love it so much. 

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

Mila Albariño 2021

To all the Dailyites who submitted wine for our wine lists, I will be saving them for the 2025 list. Rich’s proposed 2024 list is overflowing. He is actually going to need to cut some.  I have set up a special Outlook folder to keep your submissions safe for 2025. Keep track of this coming year’s favorites, I will put out another call for them next year.

This white wine from Spain sounds like a delightful choice for a hot Summer day, or when you want something light. I used the 2021 vintage info, since it might be easier to find. The Distributor evens mentions a fuller bodied option from the same vintner - the Leira Albariño. Something for everyone. Consumers love this one. Online prices start at $14.99.

Distributor notes

This fantastic value Albarino is produced by one of our new favorite Albarino producers, Pazo Pondal.  Their estate is located on the north bank of the Río Miño, in Arbo (Pontevedra), one of the best sub-regions for Rías Baixas D.O. Albariño and they converted all vineyards over to organic farming in 2015.  Their $20 Albarino has been our best seller for the last 2 years, so we were delighted to get a new wine from them at a different price point and style.  Lighter bodied than the Leira, the Mila is loaded with exuberant fresh citrus aromas of Meyer lemon and lime with touches of white peach, jasmine and eucalyptus. Finishing light and crisp with a briny, mineral palate.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 9
  • Haha 3

@GTVCRUISER Bon Voyage!  Have a great cruise and a WONDERFUL time !!!!!

@marshhawk Annie, I haven’t seen covers like you posted here.  The only time a hole is not closed within a couple of days may be winter when it is more difficult to pave.  The opening / temporary cover is always protected by cones so that people drive around it and it is closed as soon as possible - even in winter.

@cat shepard I totally missed that today’s wine was an Albariño.  DD DH and I always enjoyed that grape when we were in Spain  & a good one was well worth a corkage fee on a BHB.  👍 

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

@GTVCRUISER, Bon Voyage!

@marshhawk, The utilities companies around here leave the metal plate down for ages before the holes are filled in and the street repaved. They certainly do it right in Canada and England.

Today the pipeline replacement company is right in front of the house and the dogs have expressed their outrage. The shingles came yesterday but so far the dumpster is missing. The way things are blocked off now, if they did try to get here they would have to back down the street that leads to here. There is very little turning room. Fun! 
We like lentils here and twenty minutes sounds like a minor miracle for meal prep. Things always take longer for me. I have worn jeans most for my life. Unfortunately the size has increased with age.I have tried other things and just don’t feel like myself in clothes that younger women wear nowadays.

We have not been to the port. I do remember my uncles describing the night Prohibition was repealed and the celebrations  that followed. 
Have a great day everyone.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1