Tuesday December 5th, 2023 -- The Fleet Report and Daily

richwmn

Requesting advice from our mid-Atlantic friends about parking at PHI. 

I realized during the night that I have no plan on where to park next week while we’re gone to granddaughter’s wedding!  We chose Philadelphia for flights because we weren’t sure if we’d be living in Maryland or New Jersey. Have never used PHI. I see on google search that PHI has on-site long term parking available for $15/day if car is under 6’2”…. have to go measure the car!
There’re ads for offsite lots too. 
Any suggestions or tips?

Thanks in advance!  
Maureen 

• Like 14

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I think I know how Bruce @aliaschief found the Nov. 28, 2022 Daily.  It's the second link on the port of the day (Port Louis, Maritius), so he must have sleepily clicked on it by mistake and added his post this morning.  I'll have to go see if they decide to lock that thread along with yesterdays.  (Nope, that one is still open - but yesterday's Daily is locked).

She is absolutely beautiful!  Grace is my younger DGD's middle name too.

So it was your fault! 😁 Good detective work.👏🏻👏🏻

• Like 6
  • Haha 12

5 hours ago, cruising sister said:

Good morning,

I missed posting yesterday but did read the daily. I am in hyper/panic mode getting organized for this big cruise. The days are flying by. 

Small update on Murphy. She caught an upper respiratory infection and had to up her CPAP. She is doing better and they hope to wean her back down soon. Feedings are progressing and she is on 75% breast milk. There will be many more ups and downs. 

I seem to be tolerating the new medicine. The side effects are scary but I have had none. There is no bad taste and I can take it with food. I just hope I can get enough for the whole trip. I am working on vacation overrides for my other meds. 

I hope Vanessa gets MRI results and there is a plane to help her pain. 

Prayers for those in need and have a great day. 

@cruising sisterDon't panic.... that is my job.I have decided to let the chips fall where they may. HA!!!! I wake up at night thinking of things I have to get done.  If I can get the packing done for the 14th pickup I think I can deal with the rest. I did get my meds without issue after I explained why I needed them and have some Australian and New Zealand currency. I need to focus on what I can send to the ship and what I will need in San Diego.... and keep praying for no snow when I try to leave.

Susan

• Like 20

2 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

OMG!!!!!  How adorable she is!  Welcome to the world Maeve Grace. 

She is beautiful. Hope Mom is also doing well.  Sorry to hear that Murphy has more issues - please let this baby have a break!!

Sorry to hear that so many are still in pain.  

• Like 17

@JazzyVi think you can move my friend Dena to the rotation. The wound care team will see her today and set up the visiting nurses for home care. She anticipates being discharged tomorrow morning if that can all be set up, however they are no closer to determining what caused the issue but the swelling and the redness is almost all gone,. The worst part now is  the damaged skin that is sloughing off so care must be taken to prevent reinfection. Thank you to everyone for your prayers.

• Like 24

Good afternoon.  We enjoyed our drive-thru breakfast and the chance to get out of the house just for a little fun.  Town was pretty quiet and empty this morning.

All the clothes that needed hanging on the line are there.  Some of the lighter weight items are probably dry.  I just hope I never have this many clothes to hang out at once.  The clothesline is about full.  One set of sheets is washed and back on the bed.  The ones I took off last week but couldn't wash are in the washer.  Then there are the new sheets for the motorhome waiting to be washed.  That will be it today, but I'll still need to wash the mattress new pad for the motorhome and the sheets we used on the way out here.  Those will be washed tomorrow. 

3 hours ago, Mtn2Sea said:

We visited today’s destination of the day, Port Louis, Mauritius, earlier this year while aboard the Zuiderdam.  Our tour was an overview of the island, with our first stop at the Trou aux Ceres Crater.  That area is very overgrown, but the stop did provide a panoramic view of the valley.  We next went to the Grand Bassin area, which is sacred to the Hindu community.  We next went to the Black River Gorges and a nearby waterfall.  Our last stop was at Seven Colored Earths, which is a unique geological area that shows soils layered in hues of yellow, blue and red.  The area was created by erosion that left behind iron and aluminum oxide in the soil, which resulted in the colored soil that will not support any vegetation.

IMG_4049.thumb.jpeg.8862328b06ca89840e3231aa6221e785.jpeg

IMG_4050.thumb.jpeg.10fd1d75c89884b6f218a44ed910a3c1.jpeg

IMG_4048.thumb.jpeg.b90a89b005ce2c5429b2fd414e6ff025.jpeg

IMG_4047.thumb.jpeg.a68de53fcf889b8e5a9f0fe35a0d4aa3.jpeg

IMG_4044.thumb.jpeg.27faca48c39444a930385eaf0dfe29f5.jpeg

IMG_4046.thumb.jpeg.32bd4876229bf9683d027e9351afe56d.jpeg

IMG_4045.thumb.jpeg.da579e8ef0332305a05e0d7e63612067.jpeg

IMG_4043.thumb.jpeg.d2be851f54876fac3fa6e38b55b1bbbe.jpeg

Robert, thanks for the wonderful pictures from today's port.  The different colors of the earth is very interesting.  I think the nearest thing to that in the US is the Painted Desert in Arizona.

3 hours ago, cunnorl said:

Maeve Grace. The one that was in a hurry to be born! 17551C72-3817-4F02-8573-590CD769E93E.thumb.jpeg.801a6b02750cc6d1fcdb5be5106d93f8.jpeg

Maeve Grace is so adorable and precious.  It's like now that I'm here I can rest.  Thanks for sharing the picture another Daily family baby, Charlene.

2 hours ago, bennybear said:

@cunnorlcongratulations!  Welcome to a beautiful new baby!  Our DGD has the same middle name! 

Love my blue jeans, black…. It’s part of the Cowboy tuxedo here in the west.
my niece even had a wrangler wedding, lol! 

We’re having a lovely day today. So sorry for the east and the west, but we have no snow and plus 16 Celsius!  

We visited our DGD  dog rescue adoption event.   It was interesting to see this tiny but strong girl wrangling the creatures, one a nine month old Cane Corso that definitely outweighed her. 

After  several hours of looking a week ago, and hundreds of kilometres driven we were lucky this week to see a snowy owl on our way home from the pet adoption. 

I’ll show you my Iphone 15 pro, compared with the Nikon Pro. 

image.thumb.jpeg.8bbe75fb6d0ab997c1123d378a6afd36.jpeg

DSC_1152.jpeg

DSC_1153.jpeg

Brenda, thanks for the pictures of the snow owl.  

2 hours ago, marshhawk said:

@bennybear I am slow, and dont know much abut photography and cameras.  I have always enjoyed your photos.  Which one was taken with the Nikon?

DH had a rough time.  They. have him wearing a sock on his left hand, so that he doesnt use it at all today.  He does keep nodding off, and since he went off to the bathroom 10 minutes ago, I will check on him in 10 more.  They will be doing an angioplasty on his right leg on January 3rd.   I feel sometimes like it's always something, but if it wasn't would it be living?

Annie, I'm sorry your DH had a rough time today, and I hope he is doing better now.  I'm sorry he needs an angioplasty on his leg, but I hope it helps solve the problem.

1 hour ago, luvteaching said:

Good morning, 

We're experiencing an "atmospheric river" in our area of the Pacific Northwest. The rain is coming down hard and the gutters are overflowing. Our local river, the Skagit, is under Flood Warning and the town of Mount Vernon is erecting the flood barriers on the revetment. Fortunately I'm high enough I shouldn't be affected unless one of the small rivers goes over. I'll find out when I go to town for physical therapy in a bit. 

The tree is up and most of the dust collectors are out or ready to be. I need to get the Canadian Christmas cards done because it takes almost 2 weeks for the cards to get there! I'm still working on the Christmas letter but aim to finish in the next day or two. 

@cunnorl Congratulations on the arrival of Maeve Grace! She's gorgeous and what a dead if dark hair. 

Have a good day and stay dry! 

Karen

Karen, I hope you remain safe from the flooding.  

1 hour ago, superoma said:

I just had my appointment with my own eye doctor this morning. She did give me a new prescription so I can get progressive lenses for the reading part. The top will be almost window glass. I hate having to put glasses on and take them off as I do different things. They are filing the request with our DMV to get the eyeglass restriction removed from my driver’s licence. This after 65 years of wearing glasses every day and still struggling. I had a very high minus prescription because I was so nearsighted. I waited 4 weeks post surgery.

Eva, that is good you don't need glasses for driving any longer.

2 minutes ago, superoma said:

@JazzyVi think you can move my friend Dena to the rotation. The wound care team will see her today and set up the visiting nurses for home care. She anticipates being discharged tomorrow morning if that can all be set up, however they are no closer to determining what caused the issue but the swelling and the redness is almost all gone,. The worst part now is  the damaged skin that is sloughing off so care must be taken to prevent reinfection. Thank you to everyone for your prayers.

I'm glad your friend Dena is doing well enough to go home, and that she will have visiting nurses for home care.  Sending positive thoughts that she does not develop an infection but heals quickly.  I hope they find the cause of the swelling so they can prevent it from happening again.

Lenda

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

I would make the lentil dish, but ordinary brown lentils will not cook in 20 minutes. No on the cocktail. No Albariño in the Finger Lakes, so I'll suggest Field White from the Herman J. Wiemer winery, which is Demeter-certified biodynamic. I haven't been to Mauritius, but I had an MDR waiter on the Serenade of the Seas who was from there.

Three major accomplishments this morning: remembering to take my blood-pressure medicine; taking the trash out in time for the pickup; and ordering a pair of ice grips to attach to my shoes when the conditions require. I also started catching up in the other course that I'm taking, which is asynchronous.

fivepeoplewithoutproblems.thumb.jpg.c3f5268e14d7994785592f2444a4b7c2.jpg

• Like 9
  • Haha 19

15 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

I would make the lentil dish, but ordinary brown lentils will not cook in 20 minutes. No on the cocktail. No Albariño in the Finger Lakes, so I'll suggest Field White from the Herman J. Wiemer winery, which is Demeter-certified biodynamic. I haven't been to Mauritius, but I had an MDR waiter on the Serenade of the Seas who was from there.

Three major accomplishments this morning: remembering to take my blood-pressure medicine; taking the trash out in time for the pickup; and ordering a pair of ice grips to attach to my shoes when the conditions require. I also started catching up in the other course that I'm taking, which is asynchronous.

fivepeoplewithoutproblems.thumb.jpg.c3f5268e14d7994785592f2444a4b7c2.jpg

Neither do I, paul!

• Like 9
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good afternoon.  We enjoyed our drive-thru breakfast and the chance to get out of the house just for a little fun.  Town was pretty quiet and empty this morning.

All the clothes that needed hanging on the line are there.  Some of the lighter weight items are probably dry.  I just hope I never have this many clothes to hang out at once.  The clothesline is about full.  One set of sheets is washed and back on the bed.  The ones I took off last week but couldn't wash are in the washer.  Then there are the new sheets for the motorhome waiting to be washed.  That will be it today, but I'll still need to wash the mattress new pad for the motorhome and the sheets we used on the way out here.  Those will be washed tomorrow. 

Robert, thanks for the wonderful pictures from today's port.  The different colors of the earth is very interesting.  I think the nearest thing to that in the US is the Painted Desert in Arizona.

Maeve Grace is so adorable and precious.  It's like now that I'm here I can rest.  Thanks for sharing the picture another Daily family baby, Charlene.

Brenda, thanks for the pictures of the snow owl.  

Annie, I'm sorry your DH had a rough time today, and I hope he is doing better now.  I'm sorry he needs an angioplasty on his leg, but I hope it helps solve the problem.

Karen, I hope you remain safe from the flooding.  

Eva, that is good you don't need glasses for driving any longer.

I'm glad your friend Dena is doing well enough to go home, and that she will have visiting nurses for home care.  Sending positive thoughts that she does not develop an infection but heals quickly.  I hope they find the cause of the swelling so they can prevent it from happening again.

Lenda

We were so worried that she would lose toes as two of them are/were black. It was a good thing she was smart enough to go to ER. We are hoping that we can include her in next week’s Wednesday gathering if we pick her up and take her home. She won’t be driving for a bit since it was her right leg.

• Like 19

Friday was graduation day with the heart surgeon! I'm happy that I won't have to make that trip to the hospital in Baltimore anymore. On Monday I saw my cardiologist and he called me a "model patient" and eliminated three of my meds! Woohoo! I've been paying an $85 monthly co-pay for the Eliquis, and I won't miss that one bit!

My mother always insisted that we have lentils on New Year's Eve to bring good luck for the next year, but I've never been a fan. Sorry, Mom.....

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

@cunnorl thanks for the photo of Maeve Grace.  She is a cutie.  

@superoma so happy to read Dena is starting to mend. 

@ger_77 thanks for the update on your friend Wayne. 

@Nickelpenny your executive chef is the same Spanish chef we had on the Volendam.  We ate very well on our trip.   Wow on the rough seas.  Are you on way to Fanning Island?  

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 12

5 hours ago, marshhawk said:

DH had a rough time.  They. have him wearing a sock on his left hand, so that he doesnt use it at all today.  He does keep nodding off, and since he went off to the bathroom 10 minutes ago, I will check on him in 10 more.  They will be doing an angioplasty on his right leg on January 3rd.   I feel sometimes like it's always something, but if it wasn't would it be living?

So sorry for your poor DH 😔. Best wishes for his angioplasty in January.  I hope it helps 🙏 

4 hours ago, Nickelpenny said:

Hopefully you can see this. We are rocking and rolling!!

Yes, we can see the motion of the ocean.  Be careful walking.

3 hours ago, superoma said:

Good news that Dena is being discharged.  I wish they could have determined what caused it though 😔 

1 hour ago, NextOne said:

Friday was graduation day with the heart surgeon! I'm happy that I won't have to make that trip to the hospital in Baltimore anymore. On Monday I saw my cardiologist and he called me a "model patient" and eliminated three of my meds! Woohoo! I've been paying an $85 monthly co-pay for the Eliquis, and I won't miss that one bit!

that’s excellent news!  Congratulations on your graduation and the medication elimination 👏 👏 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Had to turn the squeaky wheel again today by calling the scheduler for the surgery department.  They finally called back an hour ago.  The Dr. said that the open schedule on the 29th would likely fill by the end of the day and I was worried I would be pushed back into January, but they did keep my slot for me.  So, December 29th it is!   Outpatient surgery so I should be home that night.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NextOne said:

My mother always insisted that we have lentils on New Year's Eve to bring good luck for the next year, but I've never been a fan. Sorry, Mom.....

Congratulations from a fellow successful open  heart aortic valve replacement recipient.

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RMLincoln said:

Requesting advice from our mid-Atlantic friends about parking at PHI. 

I realized during the night that I have no plan on where to park next week while we’re gone to granddaughter’s wedding!  We chose Philadelphia for flights because we weren’t sure if we’d be living in Maryland or New Jersey. Have never used PHI. I see on google search that PHI has on-site long term parking available for $15/day if car is under 6’2”…. have to go measure the car!
There’re ads for offsite lots too. 
Any suggestions or tips?

Thanks in advance!  
Maureen 

Maureen, I haven’t parked directly at PHL but I used to drive and park at one of the airport hotels. Try searching for Park, sleep and fly plans for PHL hotels. The hotels used to be about 15 minutes away . The hotels used a shuttle for pickup and drop off.

• Like 11

54 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

@cunnorl thanks for the photo of Maeve Grace.  She is a cutie.  

@superoma so happy to read Dena is starting to mend. 

@ger_77 thanks for the update on your friend Wayne. 

@Nickelpenny your executive chef is the same Spanish chef we had on the Volendam.  We ate very well on our trip.   Wow on the rough seas.  Are you on way to Fanning Island?  

Nope Ensenada then off in San Diego ☹️

• Like 11

Thanks for posting  the HAL Fleet locations.   Noordam  is in beautiful Melbourne today.

Volunteer Day is very important, DH is at his volunteering job.

I have spent many many years volunteering, one of the charities  I volunteered at it was almost  full time . 

Window cleaner here this morning .....very efficient, did an excellent job.

Will go and read all the daily posts.

• Like 13