The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday, January 5th, 2024

kazu

Today is National Bird Day, National Keto Day, and National Screenwriters Day

You can't stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes.--A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh 

Meal Suggestion for today - Broiled Tilapia Oreganata
Drink of the Day - Serena
Wine of the Day - Saint Clair Dillons Point Sauvignon Blanc
Destination of the Day - Sharm el Sheikh, Egypt 

Today in History:
1781 British naval expedition led by Benedict Arnold burns Richmond, Virginia
1949 US President Harry Truman labels his administration the "Fair Deal"

Ship Locations

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Falmouth Jamaica eta 01-06

Koningsdam

Ensenada, Baja California Mexico 19:00 - 23:59 

Nieuw Amsterdam

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas 08:00 - 14:00 

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Half Moon Cay, Bahamas eta 01-06

Oosterdam

Puerto Montt, Chile 08:00 - 17:00 

Rotterdam

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida 07:00 - 15:00 

Volendam

At Sea Destination Honolulu, Oahu Island Hawaii eta 01-09

Zaandam

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas Carnival private island 10:00 - 17:00 

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Scarborough, Tobago eta 01-07

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

At Sea Destination Adelaide, South Australia eta 01-07

Westerdam

Hong Kong, China 07:00 -

• Like 20
  • Thanks 16

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.  Thanks for the maps.

Cool and cloudy here today with a chance of flurries.  Bertie and I will head out for a walk when the sun comes up.  I have to be careful because there have been coyote sightings around here.  I need to pick up a few groceries and stop at the post office for mail, not much else on the agenda.

I like watching birds and appreciate the work of screenwriters, not sure about Keto Day.

Good quote.

I'll pass on the meal, not sure about the drink or wine.

Prayers for everyone.  So sorry to hear about the shooting in Iowa. 

Stay safe.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Good morning friends!  Weather report here is 30 degrees and partly cloudy.  High will be 53 and partly cloudy with rain coming in tonight and into tomorrow morning.  Today is go to Kroger day, and more work on the stocking.  Since the exact middle of the project on the aida cloth was the cow's face in the manger, that is all I've been doing so far.  Not exactly the most exciting start!

Thanks to Jacqui @kazu for posting the Fleet Report and Daily for Rich @richwmn.  And thanks to Roy @rafinmd for the maps.  Today's quote is decent, and a toast to the birds of this world, keto dieters, and screenwriters.  No thanks to the broiled tilapia.  No idea if I'd like the drink yet, but would try the sauvignon blanc.  It was a bad day in history when Benedict Arnold burned Richmond.  We used to live an hour away from the Virginia capital when we lived in Williamsburg.  And Harry Truman (a Missouri native) had a lot on his hands when he took office unexpectedly.  Thanks to all our F&B people Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for your reporting.

Prayers for our Care list people, especially Vanessa @JazzyV and all of you in pain, feeling under the weather, depressed or grieving losses.  May you soon find better health and happiness.  🙏  Three cheers to all celebrating life events such as anniversaries, birthdays and amazing cruises!  Bon voyage Bruce and Sue @aliaschief and anyone else embarking their ships.  🚢  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for the lists today!

The port today is Sharm el Sheikh, Egypt.  This port must be popular among us as this is the fourth time seeing it in this spot.  I'll post the links to the previous three dates below.  DH and I haven't stopped in Sharm el Sheikh before.  

Hope you all have a great day!  Keep safe and stay well!

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 3

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for today's daily fleet report.  It's a cold morning and luckily I don't have to leave the house.  It will be a busy work morning and since I'm working at home I'm getting a load of laundry done.   I'll pass on today's meal suggestion and will have some leftover soup for dinner. 

I hope everyone has a nice day today. 

Tucker claimed the box that delivered Temptations. 

20240104_180939.thumb.jpg.d6f0c978af336c78ee0c9324d3ce5b39.jpg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone and happy Friday.  Normal great wifi is a little shaky with CC this morning, therefore I am stuck in bold. We are off the East Coast of Cuba on our way to Falmouth tomorrow.  Thanks for the daily and care reports each day. Prayers for everyone needing them.  We had a nice dinner last night with two of my regular HA menu favorites.  I had chilli rellenos for a starter - it is a main and pork belly with sweet potatoes.  John has seafood deviled eggs and the CO jambalaya.  Have a lovely Friday. 

IMG_20240104_172600913.jpg

IMG_20240104_173600777_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240104_173551082.jpg

IMG_20240104_173631001.jpg

IMG_20240104_175836216.jpg

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon.

The rain has just stopped and it is 44°F here at 12.01pm.

Good wishes for better health to all on the care list.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day.

Screenshot_20240105_115556.jpg

Screenshot_20240105_115617.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 6

9 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

Good morning everyone and happy Friday.  Normal great wifi is a little shaky with CC this morning, therefore I am stuck in bold. We are off the East Coast of Cuba on our way to Falmouth tomorrow.  Thanks for the daily and care reports each day. Prayers for everyone needing them.  We had a nice dinner last night with two of my regular HA menu favorites.  I had chilli rellenos for a starter - it is a main and pork belly with sweet potatoes.  John has seafood deviled eggs and the CO jambalaya.  Have a lovely Friday. 

IMG_20240104_172600913.jpg

IMG_20240104_173600777_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240104_173551082.jpg

IMG_20240104_173631001.jpg

IMG_20240104_175836216.jpg

Nice photos.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Happy Friday. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Having a restful day today working from home on paperwork. Boring but necessary. Expecting some type of precipitation. Fancy is having none of this cold weather. She hates the cold. I need to buy her a sweater for the house as she always snuggles up into a tight little ball of fur. She is becoming more of a diva that gets excited and races around the house with such high energy. 

Thinking of all on the care list.

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

image.png.ab33bbd3902582633cb3b136fd241c87.png

• Like 26
  • Haha 3

Happy Friday!  In honor of National Bird Day, here are a few pictures of a pair of peregrine falcons that hitched a ride across the Atlantic on the Oosterdam in October.  We first spotted them in the sky  a few days after we left the Azores.IMG_8498.thumb.jpeg.f149fff0f64328f7c95e182feb5842aa.jpeg

After a few sea days, they decided to come aboard.IMG_3658.thumb.jpeg.5ba5456697a1d97032020049e4b48e22.jpegAs we sailed closer to HMC, they even began to use the verandah.IMG_8512.jpeg.ffdcc97e1e70efbfaeee0bd6087519f6.jpeg

Sending you peace, healing and all good wishes.

• Like 34
  • Thanks 4

Today’s Care List:

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-surgery, on CPAP, gtube

Summer slope awaiting skin biopsy results

Lazey1 with mitral valve stenosis and PAD

JazzyV with right leg pain, tingling and numbness; trouble walking

Japanese earthquake victims

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

StLouisCruiser’s DB with pulmonary fibrosis

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues

RMLincoln’s DH with glaucoma issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Bon Voyage Aliaschief and DWAliaschief (Bruce and Sue)!

Marshhawk’s DH responding to Keytruda

Kazu stepping up to keep the FR/Daily going while Rich is cruising

Cruising sister’s g-niece Murphy extubated, on CPAP 

57redbird released by her neurosurgeon after surgery

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

1 day for for Suslor (Westerdam Jan 6 to Feb 3) 28d Philippines, Malaysia & Far East Collector + (Westerdam Feb 3 to Feb 17) 14d China & Japan

2 days for Kochleffel (Anthem of the Seas Jan 7 to Jan 18) 11d Southern Caribbean

Ichiban Nekko (Rotterdam to Jan 5, B2B, Western/Tropical Caribbean), Av8rix (Koningsdam to Jan 6, Circle Hawaii Holiday), Haljo1935 (Koningsdam to Jan 6, Circle Hawaii Holiday), GTVCRUISER (Koningsdam to Jan 6, Circle Hawaii Holiday), Seasick Sailor (Rotterdam to Jan 14, Tropical/Southern Caribbean Seafarer)), Ottahand7 (Eurodam Jan 3 to Feb 24) B2B2B2B2B Caribbean, Cruising-along (Volendam Jan 3 to April 6) 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage, Durangoscots (Volendam Jan 3 to April 6) 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage, cruising sister(Volendam Jan 3 to April 6) 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage, Cruisercl (Volendam Jan 3 to April 6) 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage, Richwmn (Volendam to May 4, Jan 3 94d Grand Australia & NZ Voyage + Apr 6 15d PC Cruise + Apr 21 The Atlantic Cruise), Cat in my lap (Zuiderdam to May 11) 128d Grand World Voyage and Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9) 156d World Voyage 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 13

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Jacqui! A bit of a nip in the air this morning. But the days have been so pretty - in spite of the wind. 

Vanessa, thank you for doing all you do to make this a great community. Praying that you get relief for your pain, soon. 

Gym, Bindi walks, put away the Christmas tree 😞, chores and dinner out with my family. Should keep me busy. 

IMG_2335.jpeg.5f30202fd1b480d3100ed17d235c8c0a.jpeg

IMG_2259.jpeg.35471b0a47eeea4f350c12323b165edc.jpeg

IMG_2325.jpeg.5c193958597cd56cdd22b2813e8bbb12.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Especially those with debilitating pain and conditions. And those grieving the loss of a loved one. Thinking of you & Tana, Terry. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating. 

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

Saint Clair Dillons Point Sauvignon Blanc 2021

I used the 2021 vintage, because I found so much great info about this New Zealand wine. I would love to try it. And I appreciate the wine critic suggesting to hold on to this one for a couple of years. Wine is so subjective, and I often don’t agree with critics - but I still appreciate their attempts to help us enjoy wine. Lots of online distributors with online prices starting at $18.99.

Winemaker notes 

Saint Clair Family Estate was founded in 1994 by Marlborough grape-growing pioneers Neal and Judy Ibbotson, who in 1978 were among the first 10 growers to plant vineyards in the region.
Through decades of learning, Saint Clair Family Estate has worked to identify Marlborough’s most superior vineyard sites that today produce wines that are consistently awarded worldwide.
Today, Neal uses his extensive viticultural expertise with Marlborough’s unique mix of climate and soils in combination with the talent of one of New Zealand’s leading winemaking teams to create acclaimed wines.
About the Wine: Our Origin Series Sauvignon Blanc is sourced entirely from the unique Dillons Point
area of Marlborough, giving the wine its focused, fruit-driven flavor profile and hints of minerality. The crisp personality of Origin Series greets you with generous aromas of passion fruit and guava. These exotic tropical fruit characters come through on the rich palate, mingling with notes of grapefruit, lemon and peach layered with herbaceous notes of fresh-cut grass. Refreshingly crisp on the finish,
with a lingering sense of sea spray and minerality.
Viticulture Notes: The Origin Series Sauvignon Blanc is crafted entirely from fruit grown in a sub-region of Marlborough’s lower Wairau Valley known as Dillons Point. Located close to the coast, Dillons Point sits near the mouth of the Wairau River as it empties into the Marlborough Sounds. This proximity to the coast provides long hours of sunlight and crisp, cold nights, enabling the bright acidity and intensity of fruit expression in the grapes. Vineyards here have deep, free-draining alluvial soils with layers of mineral salts, giving the wine its high mineral notes and distinctive underlying tones of salinity.
The vintage began with ideal conditions, building to an unusually warm early summer. Late summer rain swept over the region before a welcome dry spell with plentiful sunshine ushered in harvest. Overall, fruit ripened nicely on the vine, though harvest was a bit earlier than usual.
Winemaking Notes: Grapes for our Sauvignon Blanc were harvested in March. The grapes were destemmed, but not crushed, before light pressing with minimal skin contact. The free run juice was settled to achieve a high degree of clarity. To preserve the fruit’s flavors, vineyard blocks were kept separate, with juice fermented in small upright stainless-steel tanks at low temperatures for up to 21 days.
Varietal Content: 100% Sauvignon Blanc
Varietal Origin: Marlborough

Wine Enthusiast - 89

Suggest we drink this wine 2023 - 2026.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 9
  • Haha 3

Serena cocktail:

1/5 cl of Strawberry Vodka 1/5 cl of dry vermouth 1/10 cl of Pineapple Juice 5 drops of Lemon Juice 2/5 cl of Absolut vodka (or Vodka) 1/10 cl of blue curacao liqueur First of all put in the mixing glass absolut vodka then strawberry vodka, dry vermouth, pineapple juice, blue curacao and lemon juice. Now shake with ice and fill up the glass.

I tried to find the conversions from cl to ounces but couldn’t find anything that I understood.  Sorry.

Screenshot 2024-01-05 at 7.31.35 AM.png

• Like 18
  • Thanks 14

Continuing travelogue on South Georgia Island January 5, 2017

Seven years ago today on January 5, 2017 our travels took us to South Georgia Island after we left Antarctica early on the 3rd.  This was a very fortuitous day to come ashore there.

Sir Ernest Shackleton died there on January 5, 1922 on the vessel Quest and was buried in the Grytviken whaler’s cemetery.  Did you notice the coincidence of Shackleton’s date of death and the vessel he was on?  DH and I were there on January 5, 2017 on the Quest, same date and same ship name but exactly 95 years later!  I’m sure the majority of the sailors here know this but for those who haven’t, here is my version of his story.  Pardon any errors you may find here.

Shackleton’s mission when he came to Antarctica was to be the first to land on the continent and then cross the entire continent.  Others had landed, trekked to the South Pole and gone back the same way they came.  But his mission failed when his ship Endurance became stuck in the ice in January 1915 and they lived either on Endurance or on the ice in tents after Endurance broke apart.  After that they were able to use small boats from Endurance (lifeboats which were 20 to 26 feet long) to sail to Elephant Island arriving in April 1916.  From there Shackleton took a small group of men with him in one of those little boats and sailed over to South Georgia Island which is around 800 miles away.  I’m surprised they weren’t swamped!  And they were freezing to death with all that icy water spraying them.  It’s a miracle they survived and even found South Georgia Island at all.  Finally on August 25, 1916 he sailed back to Elephant Island and rescued the remainder of his crew.  He didn’t lose a single crew member in the two years they were together.  It was a true story of survival.

So seven years ago today we arrived at Grytviken where we had to anchor in King Edward Cove.  Unfortunately the morning started off pretty foggy out so all were concerned we wouldn’t be able to tender.  Our Zodiac time for the Blue group was set for 12:30 pm so we were all praying the weather would improve.  The weather in Antarctica was so much nicer than we experienced at South Georgia Island.  Who would have thought?

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

We were not the only ones excited to finally be here in Grytviken.  In July of 2016 our Captain (seen below) on the Prinsendam told DH and I he was especially anxious to get to South Georgia Island on this cruise, to see the site of the whaling station his great grandfather helped found in 1904.

Lucky for everyone the fog started lifting and when the time came we tendered over to shore.  We were delighted to be met by some very curious seals.  The remainder of them snoozed nearby.

The first thing we wanted to see was the grave of Sir Ernest Shackleton and the whaler’s cemetery was right there near our landing site.

An inscription on the back of the headstone.

There were quite a few other graves there as well, back in the 1800’s

Then we walked toward the rusting ruins of the buildings and equipment from the whale processing plant of 100 years ago.

The end of part 1.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 6

Part 2.

We visited the tiny church and then the museums, one of which included a replica of the James Caird.

Shackleton’s James Caird never looked so good!

This shows the type of modifications Shackleton made to the small boat before he set out on his long, cold, wet journey.  He built up the sides and tried to cover most of the top except for the hatch to get in and out.  Also shown are some types of clothing they would have worn.

This photo shows Sir Ernest and a few of his crew leaving Elephant Island in the original James Caird.

If I was standing in that gift shop right now I think I’d buy one of those blue South Georgia hoodies

Here I am in front of the museum along with a tag along King penguin

All along the path were seals, grown ones and pups alike, and King penguins which are quite attractive with their patches of yellow on their heads.  Large, too!  We saw a few South Georgia Pintails, the only variety of duck in this part of the world.  They seemed to be the only creatures afraid of us and would walk away quickly when we came near.

one nearly finished molting

Here’s a South Georgia pintail running off.

Eyes closed – time for a nap.

At the end of our visit we had to clean our boots on one of these contraptions before stepping into a Zodiac.

It was a wonderful visit and everyone was raving about it the rest of the day.  In the evening hours we sailed past two abandoned (thankfully) whaling stations, Leith and Stromness.  Can you imagine climbing for more than 36 hours over that mountain range in deep glacier snow to reach help, after the James Caird landed on the other side of the island? It was truly a miracle.

Stromness whaling station

I hope you have all enjoyed our visit to South Georgia Island.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 6

Good morning. It was a mere 23 earlier when I took  the dogs out for their first walk. We did not linger. I will celebrate birds and screenwriters, not sure about Keto diets. The quote is quite true in my opinion at least. I have not been to the port. Mr Arnold was a busy man.

@0106,  Tina, thank you for the falcon pictures. They are beautiful.

@ottahand7, Nancy, I enjoyed your pictures as well and like that table . The matching striped tops are very cute.

@aliaschief, Bruce and @DWAliaschief, Sue, BON VOYAGE! I look forward to hearing about your journey.

@lazey1, I was sorry to read of your cardiac complications yesterday and I hope the clinic visit is helpful.

Yesterday was a challenge but we are hoping for a better day today. I did get  out to the grocery store with scores of other people. I don’t think we will have much snow accumulation here but it will be interesting for folks to the north of us.

i am making soup today for the group and plan to read on the couch with a dog heater beside me.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

Good morning! Our day has arrived. Onward has arrived. We will register in the hotel and will board buses around 12:30. Only thing we will have to at port is go through security.

The dinner got moved indoors last night after it got pretty windy and cold. The staff scrambled and it went well. The band was a bunch of old rockers but they had the place rocking and folks up dancing.

Azamara had some of our key crew members at the event. They were just as excited as us. We cruised for fourteen days last year on Onward and I was surprised when the Hotel Director recognized us and came over and greeted us with hugs. She will be on for entire cruise.

Time for breakfast. Thanks for the report. Bruce

image.jpeg.21b32905c7afdd3d15c5bbd3a738a71b.jpegimage.jpeg.bd700d0df328af9f281104721c2f482a.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.9f663654449a8a2af3363527361d2964.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.8cc11d07627f2b6aba47d1b10b8a5fe7.jpegimage.jpeg.4bd94896a800c9aa2bfc4253bf1d94cb.jpeg

• Like 21
  • Haha 12

Good morning, everyone!

It is a cold start to the day here in mid-MIchigan with cloudy skies, making it cold and dreary.  Today is Farkel Friday, so after we go mall walk I have to come up with something for dinner.  I think I'm going to make the salisbury steak meatballs.  

@aliaschief  Bon Voyage!   

I am enjoying reading about our dailyites who are on cruises right now.  There are so many great cruises and they all look so wonderful!   I'm enjoying the Hawaiian cruise through @Haljo1935 as we will be boarding in a few short weeks.  I'm also enjoying the South America/Antarctica blogs as that is next year's cruise.  

Broiled fish oreganata is really very simple.  The fish has a coating of bread crumbs, oregano, and garlic.  It can be made with any type of white, flaky fish such as flounder, red snapper, or sole.  Our first recipe comes from Skinnytaste and is very easy and quick to make.  https://www.skinnytaste.com/broiled-tilapia-oregan-5-points/

broiledtilapia1.thumb.jpg.12aa2017238e43e7698e4c01b77189c9.jpg

You can bake it, as this recipe shows.  The only problem is that the two sisters left out the oregano.  Just add some in!  They left it out because they found oregano to be too harsh in flavor, so substituted parsley.  https://2sistersrecipes.com/baked-tilapia-oreganata/

broiledtilapia3.thumb.jpg.75007ce5d29b1d2d389e82f03d6d9993.jpg

The same type of preparation can be done with other fish varieties.  Here is a lemon sole oreganata.  https://leitesculinaria.com/222000/recipes-lemon-sole-oreganata.html

broiledtilapia5.thumb.jpg.6b7561452d765ec9be8e46b0bdc9738b.jpg

I hope you get some ideas from these!

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 13

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  We appreciate the birds around here all year round, and make sure the little pigs with wings are fed well.  A few years ago I went on a keto diet, lost a bunch of weight, but as soon as I began eating carbs, it all came back.  Oh well.  Hurray for screenwriters - they have a tough job.

The much anticipated snow hasn't appeared - at least not here.  In the far north of the province (about 5 hours from here) they did get a good amount overnight, which I'm sure they'll appreciate.  I just heard the weather report on the radio and it's expected that we "might" get some snow later today . . . it sounds like someone is consulting a crystal ball.

@aliaschiefBon Voyage - I'm excited for you and Sue!

In anticipation of our upcoming cruise, I took the time yesterday to do a detailed itinerary for our family, and a calendar for our two DGS's so they can follow along where Grandma and Grandpa are traveling.  The oldest has a world map in his bedroom and he puts a pin in the location wherever we are that day, so it makes our travels fun for him as well.  It's a great learning tool as well, because he usually goes online to see what country or city we're stopping at and what the highlights are.

Not much happening here today, except that I have to get my nails done - they're getting too long and I keep hitting extra keys when typing.  DH has to pick up his jeans from the tailor - I can sew, but they do a much better job hemming jeans than I ever could.

I'm not sure about the drink, as you're using miniscule amounts - a centilitre is 0.338 of an ounce.  I think I'd just use a half ounce of each, toss it into a shaker and enjoy!  I'll let others enjoy today's wine, and will look forward to the recipe for today as it might be something I could use on salmon.  Or not, who knows.  Of course it's Friday night, pizza night at our house, so I think we'll look at a new little pizza place that opened up a couple of months ago that's not far from here for something ooey and gooey to have at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, in danger, and suffering.  Cheers to all with celebrations happening today.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Good morning to all and thanks for the daily and fleet report.  I will gladly celebrate National Bird Day and Screenwriters Day but definitely will not celebrate Keto Day.  I am not a believer at all of this kind of dieting (though it does help with seizures).  Fond of the quote and the meal and drink sound interesting, pass on the wine (white), and never been to Egypt.  Interesting US history.

It is a cold start to the morning as it is presently 39F, cloudy skies and under a freeze warning until 0900 and tomorrow from 0300-0900. We will only get up to mid 50's so I am freezing!!    I went out yesterday and bought some fireplace logs as I used up the ones I had and that makes it lovely inside.  I made it home at about 2300 Wednesday night.  I couldn't remember where I parked my car - well, it was in the row I thought it was but I was on the wrong end of the row. 

Yesterday was a busy day and I never got here to post but did read late last night.  I had my first PT appointment yesterday morning bright and early.  Just the evaluation and the therapist did warn me I could have some pain afterward.  Oh, boy was he right! I have appts scheduled for x2/week for the next 6 weeks.  He also reiterated what the surgeon said - don't push it and slow down. This is really depressing me but I guess it is the new reality and I have to adjust to it.  But I will do it begrudgingly.  

Since I lost my prescription sunglasses in the ocean at Bimini, I had to make an appt for another eye exam as my insurance isn't accepted at the old place.  What a hassle. But good news was announced yesterday - the implementation of the Brazilian visa has been delayed again until April 10th so I will not need one!!  Therefore, I made plane reservations to go and I can get excited.

Thoughts for all and cheers to those celebrating.  

Have a great day everyone!!

IMG_4036.JPG

IMG_3613.JPG

IMG_3049.JPG

IMG_2923.JPG

• Like 25
  • Haha 9

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Part 2.

We visited the tiny church and then the museums, one of which included a replica of the James Caird.

Shackleton’s James Caird never looked so good!

This shows the type of modifications Shackleton made to the small boat before he set out on his long, cold, wet journey.  He built up the sides and tried to cover most of the top except for the hatch to get in and out.  Also shown are some types of clothing they would have worn.

This photo shows Sir Ernest and a few of his crew leaving Elephant Island in the original James Caird.

If I was standing in that gift shop right now I think I’d buy one of those blue South Georgia hoodies

Here I am in front of the museum along with a tag along King penguin

All along the path were seals, grown ones and pups alike, and King penguins which are quite attractive with their patches of yellow on their heads.  Large, too!  We saw a few South Georgia Pintails, the only variety of duck in this part of the world.  They seemed to be the only creatures afraid of us and would walk away quickly when we came near.

one nearly finished molting

Here’s a South Georgia pintail running off.

Eyes closed – time for a nap.

At the end of our visit we had to clean our boots on one of these contraptions before stepping into a Zodiac.

It was a wonderful visit and everyone was raving about it the rest of the day.  In the evening hours we sailed past two abandoned (thankfully) whaling stations, Leith and Stromness.  Can you imagine climbing for more than 36 hours over that mountain range in deep glacier snow to reach help, after the James Caird landed on the other side of the island? It was truly a miracle.

Stromness whaling station

I hope you have all enjoyed our visit to South Georgia Island.

Thank you Sandi.

Great photos and interesting descriptions.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

Serena cocktail:

1/5 cl of Strawberry Vodka 1/5 cl of dry vermouth 1/10 cl of Pineapple Juice 5 drops of Lemon Juice 2/5 cl of Absolut vodka (or Vodka) 1/10 cl of blue curacao liqueur First of all put in the mixing glass absolut vodka then strawberry vodka, dry vermouth, pineapple juice, blue curacao and lemon juice. Now shake with ice and fill up the glass.

I tried to find the conversions from cl to ounces but couldn’t find anything that I understood.  Sorry.

Screenshot 2024-01-05 at 7.31.35 AM.png

Odd measurements even for metric. One cl (centilitre) is about 1/3 of an ounce. Centilitre is a volume measurement while ounces are a liquid measurement. It is a pretty looking drink however and for a change I would try it. I don’t like most mixed drinks.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  We appreciate the birds around here all year round, and make sure the little pigs with wings are fed well.  A few years ago I went on a keto diet, lost a bunch of weight, but as soon as I began eating carbs, it all came back.  Oh well.  Hurray for screenwriters - they have a tough job.

The much anticipated snow hasn't appeared - at least not here.  In the far north of the province (about 5 hours from here) they did get a good amount overnight, which I'm sure they'll appreciate.  I just heard the weather report on the radio and it's expected that we "might" get some snow later today . . . it sounds like someone is consulting a crystal ball.

@aliaschiefBon Voyage - I'm excited for you and Sue!

In anticipation of our upcoming cruise, I took the time yesterday to do a detailed itinerary for our family, and a calendar for our two DGS's so they can follow along where Grandma and Grandpa are traveling.  The oldest has a world map in his bedroom and he puts a pin in the location wherever we are that day, so it makes our travels fun for him as well.  It's a great learning tool as well, because he usually goes online to see what country or city we're stopping at and what the highlights are.

Not much happening here today, except that I have to get my nails done - they're getting too long and I keep hitting extra keys when typing.  DH has to pick up his jeans from the tailor - I can sew, but they do a much better job hemming jeans than I ever could.

I'm not sure about the drink, as you're using miniscule amounts - a centilitre is 0.338 of an ounce.  I think I'd just use a half ounce of each, toss it into a shaker and enjoy!  I'll let others enjoy today's wine, and will look forward to the recipe for today as it might be something I could use on salmon.  Or not, who knows.  Of course it's Friday night, pizza night at our house, so I think we'll look at a new little pizza place that opened up a couple of months ago that's not far from here for something ooey and gooey to have at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, in danger, and suffering.  Cheers to all with celebrations happening today.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

Ah, I posted my cl info before reading your post. I agree I would just use a half ounce, it a full one if more people are drinking. 

• Like 16