The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday April 5th, 2024

kazu

Today is Gold Star Spouses Day, Go For Broke Day, and International Day of Conscience

I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. - Douglas Adams

Meal Suggestion for today - Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash
Drink of the Day - Lounge Chair Afternoon
Wine of the Day - 2020 Riesling, Bischöfliche DOM Off-Dry, Bischöfliche Weingüter Trier, Mosel
Destination of the Day - Bergen, Norway

Today in History:
1847 Birkenhead Park, the first civic public park, opens in Birkenhead, England, designed by Joseph Paxton

Ship Locations

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida eta 04-06

Koningsdam

San Diego, California 7:00-15:00 

Nieuw Amsterdam

Nassau, Bahamas, New Providence Island 08:00 - 17:00 

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Half Moon Cay, Bahamas eta 04-06

Oosterdam

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida 7:00-15:00 

Rotterdam

Grand Turk Island, Cockburn Town, Turks and Caicos 07:00 - 14:00 

Volendam

At Sea Destination San Diego, California eta 04-06

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Vallarta eta 04-06 

Wastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Sydney, NSW Australia 07:00 - 18:00 

Westerdam

Tsuruga, Japan Fukui 08:00 - 17:00 

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Zanzibar, Tanzia eta 4/8

• Like 16
  • Thanks 23

• kazu changed the title to The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday April 5th, 2024

Today’s Care List:

Passing of Ger_77’s friend Gord on 3/31/2024

RMLincoln’s DSIL back in the hospital, not doing well

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, on maximal oxygen

Rafinmd’s echocardiogram

JazzyV with R leg pain, numbness

7 World Central Kitchen aid workers killed in Gaza 4/1/2024

Taiwan 7.4 magnitude earthquake

Baltimore Key Bridge collapse, 6 people presumed dead

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza; Haiti unrest

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Summer slope’s friend Mike in rehab, post pneumonia, still trached

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-surgery, at home

Seasick Sailor’s DH Allen with skin issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Bon Voyage Lobsternight (Rob & Susan)!

Happy Birthday NextOne (Edi)!

Welcome home GTVCRUISER!

Quartzsite Cruiser back home in TX

RMLincoln’s DH Richard’s successful outcome from his January eye surgery!

USN59-79 in Taipei

Kazu stepping up to keep the FR/Daily going while Rich is cruising

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

1 day for richwmn (Volendam next segment Apr 6 to Apr 21) 15d PC cruise

2 days for Heartgrove’s DW and DSIL (Rotterdam April 7 to April 13) 6d Western Caribbean

2 days for Overhead Fred (Nieuw Statendam Apr 7 to May 5) 28d Bermuda, Brittany & Canary Island Allure

2 days for Vict0riann (Nieuw Statendam Apr 7 to Apr 21) 14d Bermuda, Brittany & The English Channel Expedition

Cruising-along (Volendam to April 6) 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage, Durangoscots (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), cruising sister (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Cruisercl (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Smmessineo (Rotterdam to Apr 7) 9d S. Caribbean Wayfarer, POA1 & Huskerchick (Rotterdam to Apr 7) 9d S. Caribbean Wayfarer, Ocean sounds (Zaandam to Apr 13) 14d Solar Eclipse & Mexican Riviera, SusieKIslandGirl (Discovery Princess to Apr 13) 10d Mexican Riviera with Total Solar Eclipse, Lobsternight (Koningsdam to April 27) 22d Solar Eclipse & Circle Hawaii, Richwmn (Volendam to May 4, Jan 3 94d Grand Australia & NZ Voyage + Apr 6 15d PC Cruise + Apr 21 The Atlantic Coast), Sailingdutchy (Nieuw Statendam Mar 31 to April 7) B2B 7d E. Caribbean + (Nieuw Statendam Apr 7 to May 5) 28d Bermuda, Brittany & Canary Island Allure, Cat in my lap (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage), Gail & Marty sailing away (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage) and Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage)

• Like 14
  • Thanks 28

Lounge Chair Afternoon cocktail:

Ingredients:

1 1/2 oz. Croft Pink Port
3/4 oz Siete Leguas afijo tequila
3/4 oz. grapefruit juice, freshly squeezed
1/2 oz. lemon juice, freshly squeezed
1/2 oz. tarragon simple syrup
Garnish grapefruit half-wheel

Steps
Add the pink port, añejo tequila, grapefruit juice, lemon juice and tarragon simple syrup into a shaker with ice and shake until well-chilled.
Double-strain into a double Old Fashioned glass over fresh ice.
Garnish with half of a grapefruit wheel.
*Tarragon simple syrup: Combine 1 cup white sugar and 1 cup water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat and add 1/4 cup fresh tarragon sprigs. Steep for 15 minutes or until desired flavor is achieved, then strain out solids.

Screenshot 2024-04-05 at 6.11.20 AM.png

• Like 10
  • Thanks 25

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte. 
57 this AM with a sunny high of 77 today.

Another good selection of days especially for Gold Star Spouses.

Strange quote.

I think I’d like the meal.

Off to the course in a few minutes with an early tee time.

Tampa Bay Lightning win again, I like their chances in the playoffs.

Have a great day and stay well.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.  Happy Friday!

We had a light dusting of snow overnight.  Ugh.  I'm so tired of winter.  Come on spring, hurry up and get here.🤞

Three good days to celebrate.

Love the quote, Douglas Adams had an interesting sense of humour.

The meal sounds interesting, might be good for Sunday brunch.  I'll pass on the drink but hope the wine will be tasty.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a wonderful day.  Stay safe.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for today's Fleet reports and daily.

3 good days.

We have been to Bergen twice the last time was June 2023 on P&O Britannia.

Prayers for everyone who is unwell.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day.

Screenshot_20240405_124110.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 13

Good morning friends!  It's a chilly 40F this A.M. but will rise to around 63 with sunshine all day. 🌞 Unfortunately more wind again today.  You know when you can hear the wind that it is a very windy day and that is what we experienced yesterday.  I'm not a fan!

Thank you Jacqui @kazu and Roy @rafinmd for the Fleet Report and Daily as well as the fleet location maps today.  I agree that Gold Star Spouses should be recognized.  Going for broke and a day of conscience are good ones too.  I think the quote is a humorous reflection.  It should be interesting seeing the meal suggestion recipes.  Where do they come up with these names on the cocktails?  Looks like Ann @cat shepard will need that secret decoder ring to straighten out that wine's name.  It's interesting someone thought to research which park was the "first civic public park".  And apparently it's Birkenhead Park!  Thanks to Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for your excellent reporting every day!❤️

Prayers have been said this morning for DB, great nephew Alex's twin boys, my friends Scott, Susan and Sandy.  Also all in Israel and Ukraine at war against their country's invaders, the hostages that remain held, innocent aid workers killed, and our nation's military in the region.  And many prayers for our group here on the Care list and at the top of the list is dear Tana who is struggling. 🙏 The rest of you are just as important and we pray for improvement in your pain, and hope for quick recovery from your illnesses and surgeries. 🙏

Meanwhile, a salute to everyone cruising and celebrating happy events in their lives. 🎂🎉

Happy Birthday Edi @NextOne!!

Bon Voyage @lobsternight Rob and Susan!!  Enjoy your solar eclipse cruise!

Welcome home Gary @GTVCRUISER!!

It's hard to believe the Grand Australia cruise is almost over.  I know everyone really enjoyed that journey.  Welcome back to everyone, and for those still traveling on, congrats!

Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for the list update, and my very best wishes to you for a good day.  Praying for you daily as you await surgery to relieve your pain, and finally some restful nights.🙏

The port today is lovely Bergen, Norway.  This was the port before on July 9, 2021 and Sept. 28, 2023.  Yes, we have been there and have some photos today for you.  Here are the links for your convenience in obtaining your own photos if you previously posted them.

Have a great Friday everyone, and please do your best to stay safe and keep well!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 5

We went to Bergen on 4 of our cruises, and it seems to be a popular stop for most Norway cruises.  We do love Norway!  I've heard it rains there a lot but we've managed to see it in sunshine a few times.  I think that if you are there for the first time, go up Mt. Floyen on the funicular (called Floibanen) and see the fish market right there on the waterfront.  You don't have to take a ship's tour, just head for the hillside.  This is what the building looks like where you get your tickets and go up in the funicular.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJOEe129yU7aoyXnjszxG71?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

The wait for the car to take you up.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL8mcHpt_wPB19w1AVurvOr?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIUnOo-qYIJlNsbBE9Axqgd?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

A different view from the top.  We enjoy walking around that little park and lake shown in the picture.  There's really a lot to see in Bergen besides the funicular and fish market.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK2g7pWSV4nuHW9M8b-BGvr?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Our first trip to Bergen was on Crown Princess in 2013.  The second time was in 2015 on Caribbean Princess and that is when these photos were taken.  I saw a Holland America ship while up on the mountainside and zoomed in to take this photo of the Ryndam.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLAxgP2ogDDtc8hvnIhpsRq?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

We had just taken our first HAL cruise in October 2014 and loved it enough to start booking HAL cruises.  We had already fully booked 2015 on Princess so our second cruise on HAL was in 2016 but you can tell I was interested enough to take a photo of a HAL ship this day.  Our relationship with Holland America has worked out well for us because we enjoy the many interesting ports of call they go to.  Princess usually isn't as adventurous.  Our third and fourth time in Bergen was on Prinsendam in 2016 and 2017.

On our first visit to Norway in 2013 we along with friends on the ship took a walk through some beautiful park-like areas on the slopes of the hills above Bergen.  A closer view of the harbor from our hike.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKnkKv1ZzB66q6EBPtzr3he?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Did any of you notice this stairway to the Christmas Shop located on the Bryggen side of the harbor?  Makes me dizzy to even look at it.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI8k-9b_Sf2-myIp7ZftA7f?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Also a lot of people enjoy the sunshine (when they can get it) at these cafes lining the harbor.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJuHOhOLdQImj96AYHf7CTu?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

One time we hiked up a hill of steps to an interesting church so these photos are for fans of churches like @HAL4NOW.  If you turn your back on the funicular and fish market you may notice a huge church up on a hillside.  Like this:00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKZl2JiMRfWiePg1oY2-t3o?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIO2Wk5so-mEvVdgrKFTL-Q?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

You can start to see the steps.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLSjql-nP_dOhao1jx6qlE9?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Turn around.  This is where you started at, down at the bottom of this hill.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLurwJ1UQvsGXGJOXAvaCwE?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLvPqDkrKQXasXLL-tOmS9O?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Name of the church - Johanneskirken or St. James Church00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJCnaDyWlEr5AYT4hxPAm-g?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

I thought the ceiling was unique and very Norwegian.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLO7n8M-P371UVtoYMW_MQW?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ1LkhMzdw9YTBhV1_08JJt?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ5EADTJx_89h-udVsfRN39?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJNy_hFojxYR09g1XUp6xfA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Hoping to go back to Norway sometime soon.🤞

• Like 25
  • Thanks 11

@StLouisCruisers Thanks for the pictures of Bergen.  Interesting that you got a picture of the Ryndam.  We were on the Ryndam in Bergen in 2015.  The cruise was from June 20 to July 4, sorry, I don't remember what date we were in Bergen.  I wonder if we were there the same day you were? 

• Like 23

Happy Friday. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

The rain has stopped. Expecting some sun today. Fancy will be happy.

Taking it easy today. Probably working on my dissertation. 

Bon voyage to @lobsternight

Download High Quality cruise ship clipart bon voyage Transparent PNG ...

Happy birthday @NextOne

🐱 31 Funniest Cat Birthday Meme | Happy birthday cat, Cute cat memes ...

Welcome home @GTVCRUISER.

Welcome A Cat To My Home! What Name Should I Give Him | Funny Cats ...

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Party time | Dancing cat, Cats, Dancing animals

• Like 27
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 4

Posted (edited)

Thanks your for today’s FR & D, Jacqui! Roy, thank you for our maps. I could not believe it was 49 this morning!
IMG_2504.jpeg.a59a02955c56a222e53dfd620c6bda5e.jpeg

But Bindi and I had a great morning walk in spite of the chill. The early Dawn sky was lovely. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with all of us! Praying that you get permanent relief for the pain. 

This is my first “normal” Friday since Friday, February 16th. I hope I didn’t jinx myself. Gym, Bindi walks, chores. Picking out wine for dinner at a friend’s tomorrow. Maybe eating supper outside!

IMG_2638.jpeg.8a7659b751f542fae43cd3c1d1c428cb.jpeg

IMG_2674.jpeg.76bf37add4c60a620991c721e09a4e0e.jpeg

IMG_2539.jpeg.29e5ad68ca1ff53a1ca3f74b66df8943.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Those suffering from pain, debilitating conditions, the loss of a loved one, trauma. The caregivers. Terry, praying for Tana, her son, you and your entire family as you travel the journey together. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating!

May we each find a reason to smile today!

2020 Riesling, Bischöfliche DOM Off-Dry, Bischöfliche Weingüter Trier, Mosel

I was afraid my decoder ring would be a bit rusty, but it worked just fine. I often find Rieslings a bit too sweet, but I would love to taste this one. A bit elusive, but there are a few online distributors with prices starting at $16.49.

Distributor notes

Bischöfliche Weinguter Trier cultivates approximately 95 hectares of vineyard, among them some of the Mosel, Saar and Ruwer's most legendary sites. Almost 90% of production is Riesling, with grapes crushed and pressed at Scharzhof on the Saar and Duisburger Hoffman on the Ruwer. Wines are then aged in either traditional fuder or stainless steel in their vast vaulted cellars in the heart of Trier, which date back to Roman times.

The grapes originate from the steep and slatey soils of the Mosel, Saar and Ruwer. After careful picking and selection, the grapes are fermented in 1000L oak Fuder and stainless steel tanks before blending. The wine rests for a few months on its fine lees to add complexity.

Modern and appealing dry German Riesling. Delicately floral with citrus and light flinty aromas. The palate is pure with green apple, refreshing citrus acidity, stony minerality and good length.

Serve with fish, asparagus; salads with parma ham and olives.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 11
  • Haha 6

Thank you Rich, Jacqui, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and Dixie.  I like all 3 of today’s days, and enjoy Adams’ brand of humor.

I visited Bergen just once, Prinsendam in 2011.

I love all parks, and Berkenhead sounds like a great part.  Kutos to Mr Paxton.

I’ll pass on the meal.  My alternative is African Spring Bok as served on MS Amsterdam.  Sadly it is from before the days when I started taking food photos.

Off fairly soon for my walk and echocardiogram.

Good to see Oosterdam in Fort Lauderdale.

image.thumb.png.6cd3f86afcad41ce75ecc787

Roy

• Like 30
  • Thanks 4

Good morning and sorry I have been away so long.  

I have not been feeling very well.  Had some GI problems and not sure what really happened but it lasted about a week and put me out of commission.Seems to be resolved now. It put me in a really funky mood and I didn’t want to do anything.

I didn’t realize that I had not posted for such a long time.  

We are doing okay.  DH is holding his own and we are still on track for going on our Italy trip on April 25.  Keeping our fingers and toes crossed.

I have been spending some time getting everything in order for that,

Thank you to all of you who were concerned.  I am sorry for not checking in.

I was really upset with not having a clean house.  Tried to get the cleaners who do the house across the street.  That did not work out.  They are not taking any clients.  That also made me even more depressed.  Trying to do everything myself.

When LO AND BEHOLD!  My cleaning lady got in touch and said she is available to work again.  So she showed up with her daughter on Holy Thursday and cleaned the house from top to bottom.  It sparkles.  It really did lift my spirits.  

I hope everyone had a nice Easter for those who celebrate.  Sorry for not posting and sending some greetings.

We leave in 19 days to drive to Jacksonville and fly out in 20 days.  I will try to be better in posting.  I have a lot to do and am praying that we really are able to make this trip without any glitches.   

DH has an appointment with the Neurologist on April 11 and hope that does not put a glitch in our plans.  I don’t think it will.  He seems pretty good and is looking forward to the trip.  

I did join a support group.  It is somewhat of a help, but I need more than that. I have been trying to find some other resources in the community.  

On a good note, DH had a visit with his PCP that told him that under no conditions should he  be driving.  While DH does not like this, he will abide by it.  

I looked at the Cares List.  I am sorry there are so many in need of prayers.  Be assured that each of you are in my daily prayers and especially to those who are on the list.

Hope those who are celebrating and cruising are enjoying.

That’s all for now.

God bless,

Terri

I have a lot of catching up to do.  

• Like 23
  • Thanks 8

31 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

@StLouisCruisers Thanks for the pictures of Bergen.  Interesting that you got a picture of the Ryndam.  We were on the Ryndam in Bergen in 2015.  The cruise was from June 20 to July 4, sorry, I don't remember what date we were in Bergen.  I wonder if we were there the same day you were? 

Melanie, I checked and we were there on Sept. 7, 2015 on Caribbean Princess.  Did you have nice weather?

We got a phone call a short time ago from DD on her way to school.  Her DH and son Austin were away this week on a road trip with our DSIL's Dad.  They've been in the Blue Ridge Mountains.  Last night Austin's grandpa insisted he try some fudge he bought.  Suddenly he began to feel unwell.  When they texted our DD she immediately thought of nuts, specifically tree nuts.  She is trained to be aware of problems like this with students and how to use epi-pens.  They took Austin to the ER and they made him stay until 2:30 this morning to watch him.  He was experiencing all kinds of symptoms including his throat feeling closed up, heart rate rising and setting off alarms, throwing up, skin redness.  Austin never had a problem with peanuts but is possibly allergic to walnuts or pecans.  They're going to bring back some fudge packaging.  Austin has to see his doctor and then get testing to determine what specially he's allergic to.  He was sent home with 4 prescriptions including epi-pens.  Hopefully this will be the last time he has an allergic reaction like this.  I'm sure many of you here have allergies to food and had some frightening experiences along the way.  Knock on wood, that hasn't happened to me before and hopefully won't.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 13